• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero: The Battle Begins + Training now available on the North American Wii U

Basically it's the Star Fox Zero demo that was already in Europe last week, now it's available in North America and all you have to do is search "Star Fox Zero: The Battle Begins" on the Wii U Eshop. The download also features the recent animated short.

Here's the description of the demo:

“In this demo, enjoy the full Animated Short Movie – Star Fox Zero: The Battle Begins, then jump into training to prepare for combat! In this white-knuckle space shooter, it’ll take more than luck to master the Arwing jet, the Gyrowing flight drone, and the Landmaster tank!”

KwrFOTi.jpg

Source: http://nintendoeverything.com/star-...-available-on-the-north-american-wii-u-eshop/

The training mode is actually very fun. Not sure if they cut anything out, but I spent a few hours on that.
Once you get good at the game you can beat it with a high score and it feels pretty great.
If you try out the demo please give it a few chances. It won't work flawlessly the first time.

Neoxon

That's actually a neat way of doing a demo for this game (weaving in the animated short with some gameplay afterwards).

pizzacat

Banned
I mean it's not like Nintendo games go on sale (even though I've seen this one go low already lmao) all the people who were going to buy it, bought it already. What's the point of the demo coming out so late

ReyVGM

They should add that movie as a dlc for the game. I would love to play it as if that's part of the game's story.

Yukinari

The worst part is that a demo isnt enough time with the game to get a grasp of the controls but at the same time i wouldnt tell someone to buy the full game because it will be over when you actually start having fun.

I mean it's not like Nintendo games go on sale (even though I've seen this one go low already lmao) all the people who were going to buy it, bought it already. What's the point of the demo coming out so late

Maybe it bombed and got mediocre scores. So they want to gather additional sales to let people try these controls which got a lot of criticism.

Wow... I just tried the demo for the first time and I have NO IDEA what people are talking about with hard controls. Motion controls work fine straight away and it feels like Star Fox 64 when I turn them off, save for you shoot with ZR.

What am I missing? I can't believe I put this game off for so long based on reviews. I'm diving in because there's a Best Buy GCU deal right now.

Big Nikus

Wow... I just tried the demo for the first time and I have NO IDEA what people are talking about with hard controls. Motion controls work fine straight away and it feels like Star Fox 64 when I turn them off, save for you shoot with ZR.

What am I missing? I can't believe I put this game off for so long based on reviews. I'm diving in because there's a Best Buy GCU deal right now.

You're not missing anything, game's controls are fine.

Dr. Worm

Banned

Motion controls aren't the issue.

The reason people despise the controls will become apparent when the game stops playing on-rails a la 64 and switches you over to all-range mode for bosses and different types of vehicles.

You're not missing anything, game's controls are fine.

Motion controls aren't the issue.

The reason people despise the controls will become apparent when the game stops playing on-rails a la 64 and switches you over to all-range mode for bosses and different types of vehicles.

Hmm, well they both seemed fine in All-Range mode and with different vehicles. It feels to me like things were blown out of proportion by people who didn't want to like the game, but I'll wait until I beat the game I guess. Excited to play it - the demo got me pumped and I'm going to pick up right now!

Opa-Pa

That's... A pretty weird way to make a demo for this. I mean sure the training will help people get used to the controls, but they could have at least included one level because the training is not fun at all.

Still, give it a try. As someone who hates motion controls and had no faith in this, they actually work wonders and is now my favorite Star Fox game. It's so good.

Actually they generally don't. Demos usually reduce sales.

Yup. If they released a demo at launch it would have probably reduced sales with some buyers complaints about controls.

This is for people who have been possibly scared off by reactions but who themselves may actually be fine with the controls if they tried them.

At this point it can't really hurt.

Is it that hard for Nintendo to address the controls by way of a patch over releasing a demo?

All they have to do to win us over is add button mapping options and allow players to move and aim accurately without having to look at the GamePad screen.

I tried the game. I went through training and dropped it after 5 minutes in Corneria. I don't want to be forced to "get used" to bad controls. By the time training is over, players should already be used to them.

Is it that hard for Nintendo to address the controls by way of a patch over releasing a demo?

All they have to do to win us over is add button mapping options and allow players to move and aim accurately without having to look at the GamePad screen.

I tried the game. I went through training and dropped it after 5 minutes in Corneria. I don't want to be forced to "get used" to bad controls. By the time training is over, players should already be used to them.

As noted earlier, I don't understand these comments. I was able to accurately aim without looking at the gamepad in training, and playing the real game feels even better. I even prefer gyro for the Walker.

The demo sold me when I finished it.

Opa-Pa

As noted earlier, I don't understand these comments. I was able to accurately aim without looking at the gamepad in training, and playing the real game feels even better. I even prefer gyro for the Walker.

Yeah before the game came out there was this notion about the game requiring you to constantly look at the gamepad when in reality it's only mandatory very specific sections, Nd even then you can press '-' to switch screens and have the action displayed on the TV.

Normal gameplay never requires using the screen unless you have trouble aiming for some reason, and the controls are more precise and give more freedom than in any other Star Fox game. The only parts when I can see people having trouble is the all range mode sections with fixed camera and even that is manageable with practice.

And good to know the demo worked for you. It really is a great game, have fun.

Yeah. There's no real learning curve to speak of. You barely tilt the Gamepad and the reticule is where you need it to be. I was surprised, as I set aside some time to get used to the controls when I picked the game up, only to find that I didn't need to. Granted, I played Splatoon, Zelda and Resident Evil with gyro and had already realized that tilt was objectively superior to dual analog for any sort of aiming.

Yeah. There's no real learning curve to speak of. You barely tilt the Gamepad and the reticule is where you need it to be. I was surprised, as I set aside some time to get used to the controls when I picked the game up, only to find that I didn't need to. Granted, I played Splatoon, Zelda and Resident Evil with gyro and had already realized that tilt was objectively superior to dual analog for any sort of aiming.
The funny thing is I prefer analog for Splatoon, but gyro feels real good for Star Fox. Which Resident Evil and console uses controller gyro?

Hylian7

Glad they released a demo, I was unsure about buying this one, but I will be giving it a try. I have a feeling I will like this game for a lot of reasons people hated it though.

You're speaking for yourself, not everyone else.
This Game Maker's Toolkit video (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m544qfVMIPs) elaborates on the game's control issues far more than I ever could.

As a designer, my first goal is to make sure the controls are easy to get into for everyone. I would have splatoon-esque aiming controls as default and keep the dual-screen view as an Expert mode option.

Yukinari

I don't get the second screen, seem so pointless

Its there to fool people into thinking that the gamepad wasnt shoehorned in as a gimmick. If you play this game and dont learn to use the minus button to switch views and insist on looking between screens then youll have a worse time. The controls in general and focus on 2 screens is a real problem, not the gyro.

Top Bottom