• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan ceasing production of VCR players

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
vcrl7ucr.png

From Nikkei, via BBC:

Production of the last videocassette recorder (VCR) to be made in Japan will cease by the end of the month, according to the Nikkei newspaper.
Funai Electric has been producing VHS-playing VCRs for 33 years, most recently for Chinese company Sanyo.

But last year it sold just 750,000 units, down from a peak of 15 million a year, and has been finding it difficult to source the necessary parts.

VCRs were introduced in the 1970s but were superseded by DVD technology.
Last year, Sony announced it would stop selling Betamax video cassettes - a rival to the VHS. VCRs were required to play or record such tapes.

It was 12 years ago that UK High Street retailer Dixons decided to phase out the sale of VCRs due to the popularity of DVD players.
Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36857370?ocid=socialflow_twitter

I haven't used a VCR in years. The last time I came into contact with the format was a Christmas many years ago where I used VHS tape as decorations for the Christmas tree.

Do you still use VCR?

marrec

Banned
Man.... now I kinda wanna buy a VCR and tape a bunch of X-Files reruns and get a CRT and have a nice nostalgia wank.

gnexus

Finally, now I can finally let my NIB mint condition VCR skyrocket in value.

See you suckers later, I'm gonna retire early.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Still have my dual deck VCR from 2002 I need to stock up on spares a ridiculous amount content only came out on VHS and never made it to DVD or digital.

I bought one last year actually, just to watch a few movoes I own that are damn hard to find on DVD, and some old made for TV movies I recorded yeara ago.

Foggy

I still have a VCR for all the gold that never made its way to dvd or blu. Oddly enough, watching the trailers and seeing the fuzz can be comforting.

Mathezar

I've digitized all my old VHS tapes but I still have a spare VCR laying around, just in case...

Amazing they even still sold that much. Wherever I go I never see any units for sale.

Kysen

Was it Cowboy Beebop where they had to go to some abandoned sky scraper to find a VCR? That's what this reminds me of.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Don't worry in like ten or twenty years there will be a retro resurgence of VCR's by future hipsters. They'll be talking about how the sub HD picture is pure and how they have mastered using the tracking knob.

br3wnor

Old people.

Yeah, my parents (mid 50's so not 'old' really) still have an extensive VHS collection that they use. Their movie watching split between tapes and DVD's is probably 50/50. They have a VCR/DVD combo player and still use a 25" CRT TV they've had for over 20 years now.

It boggles my mind. I got them a DVD player 15 years ago for their anniversary, and it took them YEARS to even begin buying DVD's. They refuse to buy an HDTV because it won't fit in their 'entertainment center'.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
But what does this mean for any future VHS/4K BD combo?

Yeah, I'm just as amazed as you are they they actually made VHS/BD combo players.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I want to buy one just to have it around. I haven't actually used a VCR in maybe 16 or 17 years. As a kid, I mainly used ours to tape TV shows so I wouldn't miss them. I could run home after school and make it just in time for Dragon Ball Z but I taped it so I could chill with friends and watch it on my own time. Shit was life changing at the time.

Foggy

Don't worry in like ten or twenty years there will be a retro resurgence of VCR's by future hipsters. They'll be talking about how the sub HD picture is pure and how they have mastered using the tracking knob.

This has been happening for the past couple years. Bleedingskull.com is their church and Zack Carlson is their messiah.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
As long stock remains for VHS players with 1080p upscaling and HDMI output (like my Panasonic DMR-EZ49V), all will be fine for us insane people who engage in archiving worthwhile VHS tapes.

Redd

Was it Cowboy Beebop where they had to go to some abandoned sky scraper to find a VCR? That's what this reminds me of.

An old museum. If I remember it they needed a beta but grabbed the vcr machine because it was bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom