• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime: Federation Force - Mission Briefing (15 minute gameplay demo)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This reminds me of one of those Korean f2p mission grinding games.

A $40 retail package without an announced service tail end seems like an odd business model for this.

Edit: Wow the game does not scale difficulty with less players.

This game looks like DSi ware. A first party 3DS game should look better than this. It plays too slow for a first person shooter. This game will not find an audience.

Yukinari

Mr.Tanabe's Wild Ride featuring the Treehouse trying to convince you that this title is fun. I couldnt sit through all the gameplay Gamexplain posted and the same thing is happening here.

Says a lot about the vision Tanabe has for this game when Prime Hunters not only looked more aesthetically pleasing but also felt more like Metroid. Actually curious to see which game will bomba harder, this or Color Splash.

This game looks like my microwave shat out a melted Lego set. I look forward to giving it a fair shot an awaiting community impressions.

It looks fun....but my main issue that I don't have a pick up group of friends to play random 3DS games with and would rather not deal with the hassle of online co-op with randoms (especially on a game that probably won't sell well to its intended audience), them saying that solo is the ultimate challenge due to no handicap is actively killing my interest in it. At the very least a bot option would have been nice.

It looks fun....but my main issue that I don't have a pick up group of friends to play random 3DS games with and would rather not deal with the hassle of online co-op with randoms (especially on a game that probably won't sell well to its intended audience), them saying that solo is the ultimate challenge due to no handicap is actively killing my interest in it. At the very least a bot option would have been nice.

Yeah, randoms are almost always a shitshow. Best bet, try to get groups together on GAF.

Yukinari

Felt the same way about Triforce Heroes but not even friends could save that game.

Dislike bar already going higher than likes... This game is truly doomed : /

Didn't Ghostbusters do alright? I wouldn't trust the dislike bar for this kind of thing.

The game will probably tank but that would probably have more to do with the fact that the 3DS is kinda at its end.

The explanation for the art-style falls flat when you realise that Prime Hunters, on a smaller and lower res screen, was able to work perfectly fine on a handheld despite being a significantly faster playing release.

Looks soooooooo fucking slow...

It really is. I'm sure I mentioned this in another FF thread but the demo at PAX felt like someone played the original Prime and thought to themselves that the combat was way too fast and that you had too many weapons. It's a huge step back from where the Prime series eventually got to, let alone just the original game.

Hmm...Poor Metroid,i dunno maybe it will shock me and turn out alright,but from what I've seen it looks pretty poor...I hope I'm wrong

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
it is somehow funny to see those negative comments, while the previews are pretty positive.
I'll try the full game soon, but I don't know if I'll be THAT interested in sharing comments: it seems that nobody cares to listen.

PS: I'm not loving the game from what I have seen so far, just to be clear.

I think people are so wrong about this game. I've played a couple rounds of Blastball and it's incredibly fun. At least they've given us a lot of time to accept this isn't a mainline Metroid game.

Ridley327

I think people are so wrong about this game. I've played a couple rounds of Blastball and it's incredibly fun. At least they've given us a lot of time to accept this isn't a mainline Metroid game.

I don't think anyone has really gone after Blast Ball at all. That's always been an additional spin-off mode.

iTzaB6P.jpg

Oh boy.

Tesser

Im calling it now. This game is going to review well and will be surprisingly fun.

eh idk

I'm predicting high-60's/low 70's in general on Metacritic/Opencritic. I hope it's better than the general [fan] consensus shows and while I am a huge Metroid fan, I'm trying my damn best to avoid falling into the same trap of judging beforehand.

maxcriden

Recap from hands-on preview:

- takes place in the Bermuda System
- follow the story of four Federation Marines, equipped with mech suits, as they take on various missions
- missions include collecting artifacts or data, fighting off threats and more
- background info is presented both before the mission and in logs hidden throughout
- Hardball mission includes golden balls that you have to shoot into holes
- this level has multiple 'courses', some with twists and turns, and others with gigantic pillars that move in a timed pattern
- one player must carry an artifact to the end of the stage while the others work together to clear the way
- at certain safe points, the player carrying the item can put it down for a little bit and help the other get rid of obstacles
- another mission is called Containment, which takes place on the ice planet Excelcion
- the goal here to capture various Ice Titans so they can be sent off for research
- the Ice Titans have massive health bars
- you use your weapons to steer the Ice Titans towards the goal, while also removing clutter and opening gates
- another stage is Uplink, where you have to upload data of a crashed ship
- here you have to search and explore various remains for info
- this stage is littered with turrets and various smaller enemies
- at the end of this stage, Space Pirates drop down and try to destroy the computer uploading the data
- move around with the Circle Pad, press the B button to jump and the A button to shoot
- Y button is for special items like missiles, bombs, shields, decoys and repairs
- L button locks onto your closest opponent
- R button activates gyroscopic aiming
- another control scheme lets you use the C stick to aim
- before a mission starts, choose three mods from a variety of options
- mods are split in three categories: Support, Assist, and Offense
- some raise a percentage of your fire power, others increase the durability of a decoy
- the decoy happens to look like Samus
- when you are done choosing mods and boot up a mission, you get a pile of items
- these can be shared with your team in any way you see fit, and you can also grab more from crates that you encounter
- another mission is called Infestation, where the marines have to go into a Space Pirate base and destroy it from the inside
- this level also has Metroids, on which you use Ice Missiles to stop them in their tracks
- once you activate the self destruct sequence, Metroids start appearing everywhere
- the end of this mission requires you to dodge Metroids while carrying one of their eggs out
- hunt around the environments to find secret passageways that will earn you new mods
- each mod goes into a pot for the players at the end
- each player earns points for performing various feats, including healing others, shooting at enemies, playing with style
- lose points for destroying your mech
- your total points decide your ending rank and each person can pick a new mod in that order
- you can skip your turn if you want
- you can play the game alone with A.I. controlled bots, play locally with friends or play over the internet
- unlock skins for your mech, which include flowers, polka dots, all black, a pig and much more
- there's also a variety of messages that you can equip, accessible by the directions on the D-pad during gameplay
- these messages can be pronounced in various languages and in male or female voices, even allowing you to change pitch
- play Blast Ball with bots, locally, online, or even through download play

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/...d-prime-federation-force-3ds-hands-on-preview (via GoNintendo)

Also, more footage and impressions, courtesy GameXplain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSUFrna7uVI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELCrtZpYTG8

Top Bottom