• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

pieface

It's free from day one. Contact MS with your kinect serial number and they will send you the adapter free of charge. No idea where you are getting it cost money? Or are people selling it or something?

Just saw it on ebay. Didn't realise it was free. Thanks for the info.

harz-marz

Anytime I try and manage my storage on my new One S it tells me I need to search for an app in the store? When I click this it yields no results. Any ideas?

muzzymate

This image just popped up in my Twitter feed from Paul Thurrott and Brad Same of Thurrott.com. Thought it may interest some here.

https://twitter.com/visu9211/status/782975281158029312

Ct2v3iqXEAA6_1k.jpg

Edit: Hmmm.... perhaps not officially Microsoft themselves it seems. Information was presented by Von Bismark, an eCommerce developer.

Somnia

Got my Xbox One S on Saturday. I was going to hold off for one of the new bundles coming out, but the free game offer got me to jump on board. I traded in Madden immediately out of the box as I play with MaddenGAF on PS4 and nabbed Forza Horizon 3 for my free game.

My god the S is one sexy console!

Went ahead and bought Recore also which I'm loving. Was glad I could just plug my old external HDD in and have all my games ready to go from before (sold my original xbox one while waiting for the S).

f@luS

More than a member.
My Xbox one s is in instant on

I have an internet box with 4 Ethernet output and the box says when something connect / disconnect. Never had any issue before the Xbox now my modem tells me some random disco / reco happening. Any known issue with the Xbox ?

Hi Guys,

I've been reading this thread with interest over the last week but not replied until now.

I have a launch day PS4 and Wii U but I wanted an Xbox One S purely for Forza Horizon 3 initially.

Long story short the last week has been a bit of a nightmare and I've had 3 Xbox One S consoles in that time, the last of which I set up half an hour ago and breathed a huge sigh of relief as I powered it on to find I'm finally the owner of a quiet non clicking, non squealing Xbox One S - I am now happy and can start Forza Horizon 3 properly as I've spent all week testing dB readings and trips to exchange the machines and research with fellow owners of said loud machines over at HUKD.

If anyone is wondering whether it's worth pursuing a quiet machine, it 100% is ... I'm fussier than most (within reason) and I'm finally happy as the difference is night and day - my 2nd machine was even causing a high pitched 'eeeeeeh' noise in my ears if I faced it at a 45 degre angle - crazy !

My 3rd machine has no such issues and is not irritating to listen to in a silent room.

HTH

P.S.

This is in my opinion the best looking console ever made, I've been needing to say that to someone since I first laid eyes on it, it's stunning.

gamz

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So,

My TV is doing something weird, or my Xbox One S is.

If I go into Netflix, HDR turns on automatically (not at the video source the way it does for Netflix on my TVs built in app). So, now non-HDR shows look janky as fuck, and the xbox one menu becomes a real washed out mess.

Any ideas here?

dcx4610

Does anyone know if there are any colors other than white available for the controllers with Bluetooth?

I have one with the Xbox, one for PC and need another for Steam Link since you can't pair them at the same time.

3 white controllers will get a little confusing. Any other colors out there?

Edit: Looks like there are. Just gotta look for the white box.

zedge

So,

If I go into Netflix, HDR turns on automatically (not at the video source the way it does for Netflix on my TVs built in app). So, now non-HDR shows look janky as fuck, and the xbox one menu becomes a real washed out mess.

Any ideas here?

Mine does this too, as in it goes into HDR when I launch netflix. Although my TV seems to go darker when HDR is enabled. If I quit netflix it seems to stay enabled until I start something else. Loading youtube then going home again will turn it off.

StoOgE

Mine does this too, as it it goes into HDR when I launch netflix. Although my TV seems to go darker when HDR is enabled. If I quit netflix it seems to stay enabled until I start something else. Load youtube then go home again, will turn it off.

Exactly what it's doing. HDR content looks fantastic. Non HDR content looks washed out.

Really weird decision. I'm guessing the Xbox Netflix App is just telling the TV it's HDR as soon as the app is launched, instead of waiting for the individual content to come up HDR.

The bluray app seems to do the same thing honestly. My TV goes into HDR mode and the menu and WB logo before Mad Max look jank as fuck, but then the movie itself looks fine.

I don't think the Xbox One S is actually detecting when the content is outputting HDR, and is instead just treating certain content as "HDR". I'll try a normal BRD and see what it does later tonight.

Does anyone know if there are any colors other than white available for the controllers with Bluetooth?

I have one with the Xbox, one for PC and need another for Steam Link since you can't pair them at the same time.

3 white controllers will get a little confusing. Any other colors out there?

Edit: Looks like there are. Just gotta look for the white box.

Yep, multiple different colours, some of which will soon be available AFAIK.

Two Gears of War-themed limited edition controllers (blue and grey and red with slashes and etched letters for buttons). The blue one has a grey face with screws embedded into it, and blue triggers/shoulder buttons, as well as blue face buttons. The red one looks like it's been mangled, ala the Tomb Raider Xbox 360 controller (which I love).

A pink shadow controller, which is a continuation of the series where colours start light at the top and blend into darker versions of themselves, then black. I didn't think I'd like it, but I saw its box today and thought it made it look pretty nice.

A (rather ugly if I may say so) light blue controller, which is pretty much all light bubblegum blue.

The Battlefield 1 green camo controller.

The dark teal-like one that is coming as part of the 'blue' Xbox One S bundle.

Or you could just create and order a custom one through Design Labs.

zedge

Exactly what it's doing. HDR content looks fantastic. Non HDR content looks washed out.

Really weird decision. I'm guessing the Xbox Netflix App is just telling the TV it's HDR as soon as the app is launched, instead of waiting for the individual content to come up HDR.

The bluray app seems to do the same thing honestly. My TV goes into HDR mode and the menu and WB logo before Mad Max look jank as fuck, but then the movie itself looks fine.

I don't think the Xbox One S is actually detecting when the content is outputting HDR, and is instead just treating certain content as "HDR". I'll try a normal BRD and see what it does later tonight.

Yea seems that way. I was watching Luke Cage and thought at first it was the just the show, but everything seems to be in HDR. If this show is not HDR it probably looks worse. Its dark on my set. If I watch from the built in netflix app its not like this and actually looks better. I haven't tried a blu ray yet.

My TV isnt full HDR10 though, its HDR PRO or whatever Samsung calls it.

McSpidey

I'm guessing the Xbox Netflix App is just telling the TV it's HDR as soon as the app is launched, instead of waiting for the individual content to come up HDR.

This is exactly what happens on Xbox One S, as opposed to my TV netflix app which switches on a video by video basis.

StoOgE

Yea seems that way. I was watching Luke Cage and thought at first it was the just the show, but everything seems to be in HDR. If this show is not HDR it probably looks worse. Its dark on my set. If I watch from the built in netflix app its not like this and actually looks better. I haven't tried a blu ray yet.

My TV isnt full HDR10 though, its HDR PRO or whatever Samsung calls it.

I don't think any TV is full HDR10 on the marketplace.

My LG OLED is like 50% of the spec. I think the highest is like 70% of the spec.

But there are very few HDR shows on Netflix at the moment. I think a French cooking show is the only one I've found.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
What are the official dimensions of the console? I've seen conflicting numbers on the web and I can't find a spec sheet.
Can anyone help?

Jzero

I can't hear my HDD at all, i must have gotten lucky.

What are the official dimensions of the console? I've seen conflicting numbers on the web and I can't find a spec sheet.
Can anyone help?

yea it's 11.5 inches long, the specs made it seem like it was 17 inches.

McSpidey

I don't think any TV is full HDR10 on the marketplace

Correct, only the Dolby liquid cooled monster and laser projectors hit 100% of the spec, though the former may not even be true for colour gamut, It's a spec for the future though as headroom to grow into though, so it's no big deal that current sets only hit the same P3 mastering targets the content is created at.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
I can't hear my HDD at all, i must have gotten lucky.

yea it's 11.5 inches long, the specs made it seem like it was 17 inches.
Thanks for the reply. Do you know how deep it is? I've read 24cm elsewhere and as for height 6.5cm. Are these dimensions accurate?

Two questions:

1) Since this doesn't have a power bar, does it need to be plugged into a surge protector?

2) Is it safe to dust the thing when it's on Instant On mode? Or no?

Very good questions...id like to know too. I assume ud want to power down for dustingm

I noticed that no one replied to either of you so I figured I would chime in! The Xbox One S still has a "power bar", it's just smaller and internal now. On that note, that's literally just the power supply, not a surge protector of any form. If you're worried about your tech you're going to want a surge protector.

As for dusting the console, I'd say it depends on what you're doing. I just dust the surface level of my consoles on a weekly basis with one of those Swiffer dusters. As you can't really open modern consoles without voiding the warranty, I never use anything like a can of air and I've never needed to. That being said, if you do feel like trying something like that, definitely make sure the console is fully powered off.

This is exactly what happens on Xbox One S, as opposed to my TV netflix app which switches on a video by video basis.
Netflix and Microsoft have both said a fix is in the works for this. I had to scour the Internet for information a couple weeks ago because it was driving me crazy. I've just defaulted to my TV's built in Netflix app until they issue a fix.

I noticed that no one replied to either of you so I figured I would chime in! The Xbox One S still has a "power bar", it's just smaller and internal now. On that note, that's literally just the power supply, not a surge protector of any form. If you're worried about your tech you're going to want a surge protector.

As for dusting the console, I'd say it depends on what you're doing. I just dust the surface level of my consoles on a weekly basis with one of those Swiffer dusters. As you can't really open modern consoles without voiding the warranty, I never use anything like a can of air and I've never needed to. That being said, if you do feel like trying something like that, definitely make sure the console is fully powered off.

Thanks, Burdmayn

I dust the same way: with a Swiffer cloth. I know it's been said that those can build up static electricity.

Also, I guess I should plug it into my surge protector. It's just a Monster one.

harz-marz

Anytime I try and manage my storage on my new One S it tells me I need to search for an app in the store? When I click this it yields no results. Any ideas?

So,

Any ideas here?

I think it is a Netflix APP issue where it auto-turns on HDR. IT shouldn't do that and i think there is a fix coming soon, but idk the timeline. I just know i heard about this issue across the board. :(

Might have to only turn on your Deep Colour/Hdmi colo Subsampling, or whatever option to enable hdr, when viewing netflix for the mean time :(

(With my Vizio 55p-c1 i have to enable hdmi color sub-sampling on for that input so hdr10 can work when i play 4k blurays with my xbox one s, i turn it off otherwise)

Lgndryhr

Excited to get my gears xbox one s this week. Can finally retire my gears 3 xbox 360.

Looking at titles to get that are console exclusive since I use my PS4 as my main gaming machine this generation.

So far on my list I have the following:
Titanfall
Forza Horizon 3
Gears Ultimate Edition
Rare Replay
Ori
Halo 5
Halo MCC
Forza 5 and 6

I am unsure about these titles:
Quantum Break
Sunset Overdrive
Dead Rising 3
ReCore

Any suggestions or feedback? Thanks!

Lucario

Got my Target exchange, and picked up a few games.

Forza Horizon 3, Rare Replay, Halo MCC, and EA Access should keep me busy for quite a while, lol. Can't wait for my TV to get the HDR update.

StillEdge

These are my errors I don't think they are normal. I have a 4K TV. The tv connection is not set to automatic. It's set to HDMI. It doesn't let me change the TV resolution to 4K. The color depth is set to 36 bits and my color space is PC RGB. The second picture is with tv connection auto detect. So weird.

And that TV would be.....
My bad. 55H7B2 Hisense. Got it on Black Friday for like $200 so not surprised if I am missing features. Just weird when I try to manually do it everything is fucked.

Norse

These are my errors I don't think they are normal. I have a 4K TV. The tv connection is not set to automatic. It's set to HDMI. It doesn't let me change the TV resolution to 4K. The color depth is set to 36 bits and my color space is PC RGB.

And that TV would be.....

etta

my hard graphic balls
Excited to get my gears xbox one s this week. Can finally retire my gears 3 xbox 360.

Looking at titles to get that are console exclusive since I use my PS4 as my main gaming machine this generation.

So far on my list I have the following:
Titanfall
Forza Horizon 3
Gears Ultimate Edition
Rare Replay
Ori
Halo 5
Halo MCC
Forza 5 and 6

I am unsure about these titles:
Quantum Break
Sunset Overdrive
Dead Rising 3
ReCore

Any suggestions or feedback? Thanks!
Boy you are unsure about Sunset Overdrive?!?! That shit should be on top of yo list, son. Similar for Quantum Break.
Also, no point in getting FM5 if you get FM6. It would be like buying FIFA 16 after buying FIFA 17.
And get Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War 4 now, you can get Gears remastered on a deep deep sale instead. Master Chief Collection is $10 on CDKeys, and get Halo 5 when you can. See how Titanfall 2 turns out, if it's good there's no point in getting the first.

kakashi08

thinking about getting the 500gb deep blue xbox one s. $299 with gw4.
Got the gtx780 for PC. But the online community better on the console....idk what to do.

Lucario

These are my errors I don't think they are normal. I have a 4K TV. The tv connection is not set to automatic. It's set to HDMI. It doesn't let me change the TV resolution to 4K. The color depth is set to 36 bits and my color space is PC RGB. The second picture is with tv connection auto detect. So weird.

My bad. 55H7B2 Hisense. Got it on Black Friday for like $200 so not surprised if I am missing features. Just weird when I try to manually do it everything is fucked.

Same TV as me. The HDR update is coming in November.

For that first pic, which HDMI port are you plugged into? Only the two in the back support 4k.

StillEdge

Same TV as me. The HDR update is coming in November.
Oh that's cool. I didn't care about HDR I was just curious as to why I would get the first set of every error possible when trying to manually set it up. But November. Damn that's actually really cool.

But yeah my 4K stuff is only plugged in to the back ones 3&4.

Bracket

thinking about getting the 500gb deep blue xbox one s. $299 with gw4.
Got the gtx780 for PC. But the online community better on the console....idk what to do.

If you get it digitally, you have access to both the Xbox and the PC version. Part of Microsoft's Play Anywhere program.

I'm really thinking about buying an Xbox One S, especially for GoW4. I'm a very happy PS4 owner and really appreciate its no-nonsense fast OS and overall snappiness, installing an SSD certainly makes everything feel even more snappier and its quiet!

This is what worries me about the Xbox; the slow 5400rpm HDD and the sluggish OS. I understand its technically possible to replace the internal HDD with something else but it is quite the hassle from what I've read (specific filesystem and formatting required).

Does it help at all by installing your games on an external SSD? Does it make the OS run more smooth and snappier despite it still running from the internal HDD?

StillEdge

Also how many times am I allowed to change my home console. This will be my third or fourth time and was wondering if it was unlimited or did have a limit.

thatJohann

I'm really thinking about buying an Xbox One S, especially for GoW4. I'm a very happy PS4 owner and really appreciate its no-nonsense fast OS and overall snappiness, installing an SSD certainly makes everything feel even more snappier and its quiet!

This is what worries me about the Xbox; the slow 5400rpm HDD and the sluggish OS. I understand its technically possible to replace the internal HDD with something else but it is quite the hassle from what I've read (specific filesystem and formatting required).

Does it help at all by installing your games on an external SSD? Does it make the OS run more smooth and snappier despite it still running from the internal HDD?

Yup. Install games on external HDD. Helps with load times and sluggishness. I have an Xbox One S with a 1TB external drive. All my games load faster once I moved them to external.

Top Bottom