• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony rolling out two-factor authentication: AUS+NZL tomorrow, other regions to follow

Quasar

Somewhat amusing that they go with a system (sms based) thats known to be insecure when they could have used the standard that google, ms, amazon and others use.

SOR5

Somewhat amusing that they go with a system (sms based) thats known to be insecure when they could have used the standard that google, ms, amazon and others use.

Definitely a start, would love things to work on Authy soon though

ChrisD

SMS is weird, but I'm extremely glad this has finally made it! Will set up as soon as it's implemented... +24 hours. This is still Sony rolling something "new" out, so may as well get that extra confidence in knowing there's no big problems with it. :|

Eh, it's only really insecure in that it's fairly easy to intercept (read: someone stealing your phone, or looking at your lock screen). For people who work with classified documents, sure, it's insufficient, but for everyone else it's an improvement. Even the NIST, the people who is no longer recommending SMS based two-factor, says that it's better than not having two-factor at all.

StereoVsn

Just remember: the best way to manipulate someone is through fear.

As long as it's optional, it's fine with me.
Umm... What? Truly, the password database dumps and advances in cracking passwords are just figment of people's imagination.

For real. If you want to see people herded like a flock of sheep, just scare the shit out of them. They'll do crazy stuff like support wars, give up rights and freedoms, unload all their personal information...

Sony Will Make Passwords Great Agan!

Seiru

Banned
Stop victim blaming. You are part of the problem.

People have had unique passwords and still been hacked.

Education about good password strategies is victim blaming? I'd say posts like yours are part of the problem. For future info, if somebody with a unique password has their account compromised, then they have/have had a keylogger in the past and logged into PSN on their computer (in which case, PSN should be the least of their concerns). Shit happens all the time.

It's great that Sony is adding 2FA though. Wish they would have more options than SMS.

LordOfChaos

Oh, a reddit mod wrote this as top comment, who is this guy who posted it?

Marking this as rumour since there's no verified information here, until more concrete evidence is supplied.

OP title should be marked as rumour then at least?

I would like for the Playstation Web store to log you out automatically when you leave the site. I can go back into the web store after a month and buy a game without having to login.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Will I still receive the SMS if I'm using a NA account on another country?

I don't see why you wouldn't. Put phone number in, get SMS. Login. There's nothing "regional" there beyond area codes.

Bishop89

Cool i guess.

I dont know much about this as I havent done it with any other service.

Does this pretty much make it impossible to get your account hacked unless YOU become negligent?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Chanser

tumblr_nngwnizCge1tr61zko1_250.gif

About fucking time!

Storm360

Ugh, I don't get cell signal at my brothers place and log on to his PS4 for split screen all the time... PlayStation App support please

Hazaku

Finally!

"SMS service"

I hope I don't need a Japanese cell phone number to get two step on my Japanese account (I live in NZL) ...

Top Bottom