• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony rolling out two-factor authentication: AUS+NZL tomorrow, other regions to follow

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Is this possibly related to the major OS 4.O update that is going to be coming out for the PS4 sooner than later?

Bishop89

No. But it does make it harder to get into the account.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-factor_authentication

YOU REALLY SHOULD BE USING IT FOR EVERY ACCOUNT THAT IS IMPORTANT TO YOU. If you don't have a phone, use Yubikey or the like physical key services instead.

interesting.

When would I be prompted to use the 2-factor authentication? Not everytime I login is it? :S
Sorry, totally ignorant on the subject.

Also, I have (not necessarily use) the following services. Can someone check if these offer this? Might as well set everything up now.

Twitter
Instagram
Facebook
Hotmail
Gmail
Linkedin
Whatsapp

Kovaelin

interesting.

When would I be prompted to use the 2-factor authentication? Not everytime I login is it? :S
Sorry, totally ignorant on the subject.

Also, I have (not necessarily use) the following services. Can someone check if these offer this? Might as well set everything up now.

Twitter
Instagram
Facebook
Hotmail
Gmail
Linkedin
Whatsapp

Some sites handle things differently. Some ask every time, some only whenever it detects you have a different IP address.

As for those service, I'm pretty sure Facebook, Twitter, Hotmail, and Gmail all have it. I'm not too sure about the others.

Bishop89

Some sites handle things differently. Some ask every time, some only whenever it detects you have a different IP address.

As for those service, I'm pretty sure Facebook, Twitter, Hotmail, and Gmail all have it. I'm not too sure about the others.

that sounds very annoying. Would that be the case if you are always logged in, such as when u use the phone apps?

Phased

if you're logged in on a device (say a computer) and you choose to, you will stay logged into that device without needing to re-auth.

As an example, Google's 2-step is every log-in attempt, but so long as you don't log out on a device you won't need to do it every time you go to gmail.

If you're ultra paranoid you can just have it not keep you logged in, but if you're the only person with access to your device that's probably not needed.

Hasney

that sounds very annoying. Would that be the case if you are always logged in, such as when u use the phone apps?

It'll be every time you need to enter your password right now, so not every time you start the console.

A minor annoyance is still much better than losing primary status on your PS4 or worse, having people buy things.

Gradly

If it's similar to what usually services do, it will ask you to do it for the first time, then your machine will get authorized, for example your PS4 or your PC (if you accessed the store on it), so you only do it once. In case you accessed your account from a different machine, it will ask you again to enter the code sent to your registered mobile.

oggob

AU Webstore is down, as well as attempting to get to the SEN Account page... is that everywhere?

Or could things be happening at the moment?

EDIT - back up for me now, I might have had a proxy issue here at work...

Somewhat amusing that they go with a system (sms based) thats known to be insecure when they could have used the standard that google, ms, amazon and others use.

SMS is only insecure if you aren't good at knowing where your phone is.

Plenty of companies use SMS, either as an alternative to an authenticator app, or just because most of their customers probably aren't smart enough to understand how authenticator works. Most banks use SMS for 2-factor. Paypal uses SMS for 2-factor. All the companies you mentioned allow SMS as fallback, if it was so insecure, why would it be allowed?

dex3108

For me as user with US account (because Sony doesn't support my country at all) outside US question is will SMS service support worldwide mobile phone numbers or only nubers from supported countries?

Gradly

For me as user with US account (because Sony doesn't support my country at all) outside US question is will SMS service support worldwide mobile phone numbers or only nubers from supported countries?

I'm worried about this too cuz I have 4 different accounts but usually its international support for example Apple store, I'm able to authorize a US account from a different country

Pixieking

Banned

This is something I'm curious about, too - main account is UK (secondary US account for cheap deals), but I'm currently in Jordan. Steam supports worldwide numbers, so I would expect Sony to do the same, but given how long it's taken for this to become a reality...

Usually it's logging in for the first time from a new device.
But my bank does it for any new payment entered.

PSN could use it before any transaction... But certainly any new device logging in should require it.

Going by the OP's post, it sounds like it will only be for first logins on new devices. Once you enter the code for your home PS4, you won't need to enter one again. if someone tries to login with your account on another PS4, they'll be prompted for the SMS code.

Oh that's cool. Way less annoying that some of Steams security features.

Nokterian

Jesus christ this has been a factor for all companies for a long long time..fuck even Blizzard started this in 2008!! Yes it is good it is finally there but it should have been there long long before.

NastyBook

tumblr_nngwnizCge1tr61zko1_250.gif
Either one of these answers should've been first post.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh that's cool. Way less annoying that some of Steams security features.

I'm not so sure. "Every new login from a [supported device]" also suggests "Every new session" -- i.e. if you log out, then you'll need to enter a 2FA code again. I doubt this would apply to automatic logins, though (even Steam doesn't go that far).

JP

Although it's not available yet (UK/USA) they have expanded the Account Information section in settings on PS4. Nothing major at the moment though.

Well done Sony! Everyone who's been posting about being hacked must be so relieved!! /s

Not going to congratulate them for doing something that should've been implemented 2 years ago.

hodgy100

Fucking finally! hopefully no one has to go through losing £600 then having to go through 6 months of setting up legal action before they get their money back, like I did.

test_account

XP-39C²
Curious to see how the rollout/support will be. Paypal for example dont have 2FA in several of european countries, and thats Paypal.

Well done Sony! Everyone who's been posting about being hacked must be so relieved!! /s

Not going to congratulate them for doing something that should've been implemented 2 years ago.
Going by the comments, some people who got their account hijacked seems to be quite happy about this 2FA news.

Better late than never, but this is really bloody late. Just recently I was thinking of stripping all payment methods from my PS4 so that if my account was compromised I wouldn't lose money. Glad this is finally rolling out though.

woopWOOP

I hardly touch my PS3 anymore, but after all those threads I'm gonna turn the authentication on anyway when possible. Don't want to lose my precious purchase of Jojo!

PaulLFC

Finally!

I don't know why it "won't be widely publicised" though, unless they mean "until we're sure it works flawlessly" - security is important, and they should be doing what they can to get people to enable 2FA if it's available to them.

GeeTeeCee

This is probably a series of very stupid questions, but with the upcoming 2FA I'm keen to know:

Normally, whenever I turn on my PS4 I log into PSN manually, and sign out whenever I'm about to turn the console off. For whatever reason I never like staying signed into a service if I'm not using it.

Assuming I don't want to be inundated with 2FA text messages every time I log in, would it be better to never sign out of PSN on my PS4? Is there any downside to this method? Does turning off the console count as signing out, so it won't look to friends like I'm still online when the console isn't even on?

Gradly

I'm at work and I'm trying to add a credit card to the store to preorder BOUND. The system cannot accept the card at all telling me its incorrect. seems like the system undergoing maintenance or preparing for that 2FA hopefully

PaulLFC

This is probably a series of very stupid questions, but with the upcoming 2FA I'm keen to know:

Normally, whenever I turn on my PS4 I log into PSN manually, and sign out whenever I'm about to turn the console off. For whatever reason I never like staying signed into a service if I'm not using it.

Assuming I don't want to be inundated with 2FA text messages every time I log in, would it be better to never sign out of PSN on my PS4? Is there any downside to this method? Does turning off the console count as signing out, so it won't look to friends like I'm still online when the console isn't even on?
1. Yes. As you said signing out would result in a text every time you sign in.
2. No, no downsides that I know of.
3. Yes - you are only connected to PSN when the console is on, and it will only show your online status when connected (if the console is off you appear as offline).

GeeTeeCee

1. Yes. As you said signing out would result in a text every time you sign in.
2. No, no downsides that I know of.
3. Yes - you are only connected to PSN when the console is on, and it will only show your online status when connected (if the console is off you appear as offline).

Great, thanks for the answers.

Did anyone click the link? There's a reddit post that's been removed, and a comment from a Reddit mod saying there's no verifiable info.

You're basically getting excited over some random person, who has no creditibility, saying 'Hey, it's coming tomorrow'. Seems a bit premature to get your hopes up, no? I mean, I hope it's true but there's absolutely no reason to think there's even an ounce of credability to that post.

It can learn. Glad Sony is actually making a move now. I will still buy psn prepaid cards due to the fact it takes minutes to purchase and redeem the code and I don't have to put any credit details on the psn network.

Top Bottom