• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda Breath of the WIld Weapons Gameplay video

Can someone bring up a picture of the control scheme? I wanna see if there's an unused slot where perhaps you use your special items along with weapons.

Literally every input is taken.

Zelda%20controls.jpg

Down on the d-pad is reserved for whistling for your mount.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Literally every input is taken.

Zelda%20controls.jpg

Down on the d-pad is reserved for whistling for your mount.
Thanks, it looks like there probably won't be any unbreakable items in the game. I just hope the puzzle design is good.

I think for this game were gonna have to not get too attached to any one weapon. Until late game with the master sword, we may never get a sword that's "our" sword. Just "a" sword. To me it seems best to view the weapons the way You would view power ups in a platformer like Mario. In one level you get the fire flower. You use it for as long as you can, taking it to different levels, but you know it's just a power up, not your base state. So you know eventually you'll lose it. But that's fine because there's more power ups to be found. And besides, several of your abilities will be permanent like the runes and paraglider. You'll always have something to fight with.
Fuck that a power up is just a power up. A game with armor and equipment should let me get a weapon I call my own. Even if I have to pay extra

Poyunch

Thanks, it looks like there probably won't be any unbreakable items in the game. I just hope the puzzle design is good.

Yeah. I'm all for emergent gameplay but the magnet was really rubbing me the wrong way. It looked awkward and it's probably not a gameplay style I'll latch on to.

Gsnap

Fuck that a power up is just a power up. A game with armor and equipment should let me get a weapon I call my own. Even if I have to pay extra

Well we'll see how the final game is. Maybe you'll get what you want. But based on what we've seen, I'd say people need to prepare themselves, because breaking and switching weapons regularly is clearly a big part of the game.

Xwnoblade x completely nailed its open world, u may not have like the story or whatever but there was nothing wrong with the open world of that game

Nope. All I got from X was a big area but without anything actually interesting to do in it. The worst kind of open world. It looked nice but that's worth some good screenshots and not much more to me.

Neonep

100% getting this. Only question is to get it on the Wii U or NX. It was pretty much built for the Wii U so it might be a better experience on it.

I think for this game were gonna have to not get too attached to any one weapon. Until late game with the master sword, we may never get a sword that's "our" sword. Just "a" sword. To me it seems best to view the weapons the way You would view power ups in a platformer like Mario. In one level you get the fire flower. You use it for as long as you can, taking it to different levels, but you know it's just a power up, not your base state. So you know eventually you'll lose it. But that's fine because there's more power ups to be found. And besides, several of your abilities will be permanent like the runes and paraglider. You'll always have something to fight with.

This is the best way to make loot useful. Finding weapons in other rpgs boils down to: does it have a better stat? Good, use it. If not, it gets lost in a sea of other useless weapons. Finding weapons will present a choice, should you use it and risk breaking it? You have to decide if it's worth using at a particular moment. Very exciting gameplay implications.

Like you say, it's not like you'll be stuck without something, you'll be able to pick up any weapon your (relatively similar size) enemies drops.
Nintendo's patent for scrollable shoulder buttons really makes too much sense with this control scheme.

I think about it every once in a while, and then I try to prepare myself for disappointment.

Also, for those wondering about puzzles, if you haven't seen it, the two extra shrines the treehouse showed off were awesome. Puzzles look really fresh because of your skill sets in this game. Not having one right answer for Zelda puzzles is something I've been looking forward to for a long long time.

I think it'll be pretty good Puzzle wise because they give you so many flexible tools at the beginning of the game plus they can ramp up complexity immediately after the Great Plateau, like imagine using Magnesis to position plates that you then use Cryonis to create ramps which you then use Stasis to fire a large projectile up said ramp to hit something. That's probably a puzzle that'll pop up and that might not be the only way to do said puzzle, the Puzzle is not recreating the designer's line but similar to stealth games in that you have a set of tools and you try to mold them to make them fit the problem. That design ethos pervades Zelda tremendously even for a simple a cliff face you can either go around or you could use a combination of rushrooms, magnesis + Paraglider Trickery and Stamina replenishers to scale it in addition to observing the cliff face. Of course, you might not be able to do that if the face is too steep or slippery which may force you to go around.

This is the best way to make loot useful. Finding weapons in other rpgs boils down to: does it have a better stat? Good, use it. If not, it gets lost in a sea of other useless weapons. Finding weapons will present a choice, should you use it and risk breaking it? You have to decide if it's worth using at a particular moment. Very exciting gameplay implications.

Like you say, it's not like you'll be stuck without something, you'll be able to pick up any weapon your (relatively similar size) enemies drops.

I think this is very important considering the Stat System in this game is actually pretty simple, they kinda have to put low durability into the game to force people to use the other tools in the game. Though the Throwing mechanic is genius. Not only does it allow getting rid of items from the quick slot menu, but it rewards stealthy play for players who steal weapons by providing them with lots of potential bonus damage.

This is without a doubt my favorite art style Nintendo has produced for a zelda game. They have constantly been jumping around with the console games trying to figure out if they want a realistic feel or cartoonish feel. With SS you could tell they tried to be somewhere in the middle, but it looked off to me. BotW hits the sweet spot. It just looks good.

I think they nailed it with Skyward Sword. Link's lips was the only thing that looked off. Otherwise, it was a beautiful blend of TP with a more cartoony look. Absolutely beautiful game. I can't wait for the remake to see it in HD.

BOW's Link would be my favorite Adult Link design if not for one thing.

It's completely missing his hat, and Link has always looked better with his hat on.

Hopefully, it's somewhere in the game and just hasn't been shown yet.

ReyVGM

I wonder if hats are going to have their own item category.

We've seen that head scarf thing, and Link's traditional hat is probably there too, so I wonder if we're going to get more headwear options?

Maybe they will be included as "hairdos"? Since we've seen Link with different hair too.

takriel

LinkTwilightPrincess1.png

How can this man's face be ugly? If you're talking about the 3d model I see your point.
Yes, I was talking about the in-game model. The official art does indeed look great!

Back to topic: I don't think that the Master Sword will be breakable. But this means that we'll get the weapon pretty late in the game, I think. There might actually be other "legendary" weapons that you could find scattered throughout the world that don't break or last for a very long time. That would be really cool.

balgajo

Back to topic: I don't think that the Master Sword will be breakable. But this means that we'll get the weapon pretty late in the game, I think. There might actually be other "legendary" weapons that you could find scattered throughout the world that don't break or last for a very long time. That would be really cool.

We can only pray!

Ghandi

Banned
tumblr_oadajwNe691siygpno1_r3_500.gif

Yep, hopefully he's as expressive in cutscenes too instead of another TP style stare at everything Link.

This gif makes me legit asking my sexuality
Seriously:
Nintendo has gone too far
I think BotW will be TOO good

People will die from pure emotional exhaustion

Those poor bokoblin, just trying to have a good time at the campfire with their buddies, and then some crazy elf boy comes and murders them all.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
If the leaks are true, then being able to play a game of this magnitude on a handheld device is going to be amazing.
I'll do all my looting, smaller quests and exploring on the handheld and connect to the TV for the main dungeons and bosses... Please NX be the rumored handheld and not just another PS4/XBO.

I'm still hoping that the Master sword ends up being something like a Rune that makes a summonable sword. That way it can still follow the established weapon "rules" of the game, like being able to be broken, thrown for extra damage, and lost, while still having a level of "special" that should be given to the Master sword.

From watching all the videos that came out around e3 it already seems like the "best" arrow in the game may already in that kind of situation though.

Trilobit

So this guy explains why the music so far in BotW is brilliant and points out that the OG Zelda Main Theme and Lon Lon Ranch are actually in the trailer music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkHtziJgFJI

That was very interesting. I am not a musician so I can't discern everything going on in what I consider to be the background, but it's good to know that they put much effort into those things also. I believe it affects you, if not directly, then subconsciously.

KeRaSh

I'm still hoping that the Master sword ends up being something like a Rune that makes a summonable sword. That way it can still follow the established weapon "rules" of the game, like being able to be broken, thrown for extra damage, and lost, while still having a level of "special" that should be given to the Master sword.

From watching all the videos that came out around e3 it already seems like the "best" arrow in the game may already in that kind of situation though.

That would actually make sense. Depending on the cooldown I would probably even bee cool with it.
My biggest fear with the durability system is that I'll be hoarding all the good stuff for "when I really need it" while beating the whole game completely naked (Link,
probably
not me) with a fucking Deku stick.

tkscz

Ok, is it just the video or did they add AA to the game? That is a lot less jagged than the E3 demo.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Ok, is it just the video or did they add AA to the game? That is a lot less jagged than the E3 demo.
Probably just showing the NX Version for promotial purposes now.

Believe.

Top Bottom