• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda Breath of the WIld Weapons Gameplay video

Übermatik;214937346 said:
I'd love this, but my more unrealistic desire is to see a From Software exclusive/collab on a Nintendo platform in a similar setting.

Never happening though.

My dream too... never give up hope!

I'd love this, but my more unrealistic desire is to see a From Software exclusive/collab on a Nintendo platform in a similar setting.

Never happening though.

Fire Emblem x Dark Souls/Bloodborne = Fire Souls or Fireborne?

I can see combat with weapon triangle working, but I'm coming up short with thinking of how you integrate waifus.

Nope. All I got from X was a big area but without anything actually interesting to do in it. The worst kind of open world. It looked nice but that's worth some good screenshots and not much more to me.
You want a town or cave every six feet or something?

What would make XCX's overworld more interesting?

Never happening though.

Not all of us want every RPG/Adventure game to be a grimdark experience. Zelda's tone and atmosphere are fine the way they are.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Reminds me of how bad I want the Dark Souls trilogy to come to NX.

FUCK. Portable Souls would be the best, playing Dark Souls in bed, oh man. I think I need to get a Shield or something, I realised I want to play all the games in bed
Not all of us want every RPG/Adventure game to be a grimdark experience. Zelda's tone and atmosphere are fine the way they are.

He didn't specify it had to be Zelda, just a project between two developers that he likes???

tkscz

You're looking at the E3 demo. None of this stuff is new footage from a new build.

Then maybe it's the video is better quality then their stream because the previous videos had bad aliasing (but most Wii U games do, really hurt Mario Kart graphically).

It's not the tone that people want when they mention a From/Nintendo collaboration, it's the fact that both developers focus foremost on satisfying gameplay, with From offering very deep mechanics and Nintendo's patented accessibility and polish. They're a perfect match on paper...

Also no one said we need a From Zelda game. I personally think a From Metroid game would be pretty incredible, seeing as how Soulsborne games are essentially a modern evolution of the Metroidvania genre.

The reason this keeps getting brought up in BotW threads is because the weapon variety, stamina use and change in attack style/speed for different weapons are fairly reminiscent of Soulsborne game mechanics, and that's a very good thing (to me at least).

Edit:

Then maybe it's the video is better quality then their stream because the previous videos had bad aliasing (but most Wii U games do, really hurt Mario Kart graphically).

Yeah, a lot of people who went to E3 noted how the game looked much better in person than on the stream. They also noted that some of the TVs used to play it at E3 were pretty terrible quality screens, so it should look even better than that on a good TV.

It never did. That is why its scary. 2015? Nope, 2016? Nope, 2017? At this point I'm not so sure.

My theory is that the "2017" release date is not specified to March only because if the NX gets delayed, they don't want to have to delay Zelda for both the NX and Wii U again, because they'd essentially be saying "hey, sorry Wii U owners, but we can't let you play this game that's obviously finished because the new console we want you to buy isn't ready yet, sorry."

I think it's a way to save face if the NX is delayed. They would be very foolish to launch the NX without Zelda at launch day.

Leatherface

tumblr_mb9fg8WW4a1ryfenzo1_500.gif

lVlPvCB.gif

Übermatik;214943790 said:
I... wasn't talking about Zelda. At all. We were discussing a Dark Souls trilogy port and/or a From Software/Nintendo exclusive/collaboration.

This is a Zelda thread, and the Zelda/FROM matchmaking wish has been made plenty of times in the past, so apologies for the misunderstanding.

We're never going to see more of this game until they reveal the NX...which makes me sad because it feels like it's never going to happen lol

This is a Zelda thread, and the Zelda/FROM matchmaking wish has been made plenty of times in the past, so apologies for the misunderstanding.

No worries! I wouldn't want From meddling with Zelda either to be honest. Highly unnecessary like you said. Let Nintendo do their thing and From do theirs - both franchises are established in their own ways. I'm also not a fan of the Zelda/RETRO requests.

We're never going to see more of this game until they reveal the NX...which makes me sad because it feels like it's never going to happen lol

Can you wait another 4 weeks? I think that's all it'll take, at most.

Übermatik;214945404 said:
No worries! I wouldn't want From meddling with Zelda either to be honest. Highly unnecessary like you said. Let Nintendo do their thing and From do theirs - both franchises are established in their own ways. I'm also not a fan of the Zelda/RETRO requests.

Can you wait another 4 weeks? I think that's all it'll take, at most.

I'm waiting. Anyways it's pretty normal for big games to not be seen until 6 months to a year later. No sweat really.

gyrocombo

Neo Member
Maybe the metroid ip? Using the zelda new engine.

Do you want make all of the money? That's how you make all the money.

Reusable assets cut development time and allow devs to focus on story game play, maybe reuse engine in different ways. I am pretty sure they did this with Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of time, then with third party I think Banjo Kazooie, Conker, all that shared an engine but customized based on frame work. (tons of examples of this over time) Except with WiiU they didn't really have a standard they could tap into like unreal, etc.

I think metroid would play every well to this physics engine and tool / weapon system.

Maxrunner

Do you want make all of the money? That's how you make all the money.

Reusable assets cut development time and allow devs to focus on story game play, maybe reuse engine in different ways. I am pretty sure they did this with Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of time, then with third party I think Banjo Kazooie, Conker, all that shared an engine but customized based on frame work. (tons of examples of this over time) Except with WiiU they didn't really have a standard they could tap into like unreal, etc.

I think metroid would play every well to this physics engine and tool / weapon system.

And then maybe use the possibility of travel to different planets this time.
From already does the silent protagonist right so theyre already a match in this regard. Just don't use the stupidity high difficulty of the soul games.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
This game looks gorgeous at times. Actually has me interested in possibly getting an NX, and I've never owned a Nintendo home console.
You never owned a Nintendo console? That's kinda impressive.. Unless you are really young but well.

ReyVGM

Since some people here haven't seen all the cool gifs, here's a repost from the old Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay

Playing baseball with unarmed Bokoblins.
2PDjiB5.gif

Cut the small trees, the wind blows the branches who catch fire, who then light the dry grass on fire.
spxxOvV.gif

Grabbing a sword with Magnesis and using it to attack enemies from afar
jf8y45N.gif

Taking a stroll through the forest, on the verge of fighting the camouflaged rock boss.
wRt0ATZ.gif

Legolas surfing. Not seen here, but you can shoot arrows while shield surfing.
a49KQ0O.gif

Fire rod. If you charge it, you shoot 4 fireballs.
Ay8GaOL.gif

Riding the horse, you vault off, use the low density air from the burning grass to gain altitude with the handglider, then use bullet time to shoot the enemy with an energy arrow.
giphy.gif

Flurry rush.
KyJeFDk7ycUw0.gif

Driving enemies crazy.
XD8Fsed.gif

Using stasis to freeze the rock, hit with the hammer to store kinetic energy in the rock. Once statis wears off, the rock shoots off.
qV4V2wu.gif

You never owned a Nintendo console? That's kinda impressive.. Unless you are really young but well.

GameCube was released 15 years ago. Kids who were born when GameCube released were 6 when Wii arrived. Thus, for plenty of people, Wii and Wii U are only Nintendo consoles they have a distinct memory about.

I am not talking about the specific person - just putting the dates in the perspective. Nintendo consoles are not as well-known amongst people of younger generations as they were for older people.

AFAIK, the only Nintendo developer who was actively reusing their Wii U engine was NDcube. Wii Party U, Mario Party 10 and Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival use the same model format and have some other internal similarities.

Hermii

My theory is that the "2017" release date is not specified to March only because if the NX gets delayed, they don't want to have to delay Zelda for both the NX and Wii U again, because they'd essentially be saying "hey, sorry Wii U owners, but we can't let you play this game that's obviously finished because the new console we want you to buy isn't ready yet, sorry."

I think it's a way to save face if the NX is delayed. They would be very foolish to launch the NX without Zelda at launch day.

A big game like this can always have more polish no matter how much it gets delayed, so IF the NX is delayed we will just get a more polished Zelda at the NX launch. There is no way they will launch this game without the NX. Nintendo is betting this will be a system seller for the hardcore on the NX.

Also I just realized this, but if you run into shield surf, you basically do a pseudo-long Jump. I dunno what it would be useful for, perhaps some platforming, but it is neat that you can do that and shows how well link's moveset chains into itself, the Mario 64 comparisons are quite apt.

AdanVC

Since some people here haven't seen all the cool gifs, here's a repost from the old Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay

Playing baseball with unarmed Bokoblins.

Cut the small trees, the wind blows the branches who catch fire, who then light the dry grass on fire.

Grabbing a sword with Magnesis and using it to attack enemies from afar

Taking a stroll through the forest, on the verge of fighting the camouflaged rock boss.

Legolas surfing. Not seen here, but you can shoot arrows while shield surfing.

Fire rod. If you charge it, you shoot 4 fireballs.

Riding the horse, you vault off, use the low density air from the burning grass to gain altitude with the handglider, then use bullet time to shoot the enemy with an energy arrow.

Flurry rush.

Driving enemies crazy.

Using stasis to freeze the rock, hit with the hammer to store kinetic energy in the rock. Once statis wears off, the rock shoots off.

Simply mindblowing stuff. This cover art truly encapsulates everything you can do in the game lmao
the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-fake-box-art.jpg

The amount of stuff we can already do in battles is insane. Just to think about the other stuff we haven't seen yet makes me hyperventilate!

it'd be fine if I wanted to get every single weapon. But if I really like a weapon style I'm going to actively avoid fights now as much as possible. I don't want to lose the claymore and have to replace it with a club.

Maybe this isn't that kind of game and you might end up having to just get over that proclivity of yours. I'm kind of looking forward to having to be judicious and careful with how I use my weapons. If I liked the claymore, I'd probably just... stock up on claymores whereever possible, and save them for enemies that aren't easily dispatched with other fodder weapons.

Fuck that a power up is just a power up. A game with armor and equipment should let me get a weapon I call my own. Even if I have to pay extra

I don't know why you feel convinced by the bolded at all. Why should it?

A big game like this can always have more polish no matter how much it gets delayed, so IF the NX is delayed we will just get a more polished Zelda at the NX launch. There is no way they will launch this game without the NX. Nintendo is betting this will be a system seller for the hardcore on the NX.

I agree with all of that. I'm just saying that they haven't given a defined release date or month because if the NX does get delayed to say, November, then they can release Zelda with it on launch day and not have to delay it, because November 2017 still matches the current release date of 2017.

It's just a way for them to save face with Wii U owners- instead of delaying both the NX and Wii U version if the NX launch date slips, then they can just say that the game was slated for a 2017 release, not a specific month, so the Wii U version was not delayed so as to launch simultaneously with the NX version.

This is my theory about why there's no definite release date, which has got some people worried that it won't make the NX launch (which it totally will).

TheMoon

I agree with all of that. I'm just saying that they haven't given a defined release date or month because if the NX does get delayed to say,
[...]
This is my theory about why there's no definite release date, which has got some people worried that it won't make the NX launch (which it totally will).

No, it's simple. They haven't done that because they never do that. If Zelda came out this November, you probably would've gotten a "November" or "Holiday 2016" date at E3 and nothing more concrete until about nowish or September. That's how they work. That's why everyone always panics ever year when they don't talk about the big upcoming game for a while or don't give out a concrete date until 2-3 months before. This is normal Nintendo marketing procedure. If Zelda launches in March, you won't know about it until about December at the earliest. Only exception will be if it really is a day-1 NX game and they already nail down NX with a date during their reveal.

Drewboy64

Since some people above were fantasizing about other similar games that could use the engine, imagine a Monster Hunter game using this engine. It'd be perfect with the climbing mechanic, and we could finally have a monster hunter with an open world and up to date graphics.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The combat focused videos probably do the least to sell me on this game. Its pretty run of the mill stuff but then again the combat isn't what seems really interesting in this game.

While this is very cool, I'm actually concerned about games making the player too passive.

There is minimal input from the player in there. 99% of the action in that gif was played out by the computer. Watching a video of gif could replicate what you see in game.

If this was a Sim game like Sim City, then yeah, that's fine, but I'm worried about how this will be fun in Zelda. Zelda isn't Sim City.

TheMoon

While this is very cool, I'm actually concerned about games making the player too passive.

There is minimal input from the player in there. 99% of the action in that gif was played out by the computer. Watching a video of gif could replicate what you see in game.

If this was a Sim game like Sim City, then yeah, that's fine, but I'm worried about how this will be fun in Zelda. Zelda isn't Sim City.

What?! Oo

Planning and executing this is the input part. The systems interacting like this is the whole reason why it's so great. It sounds like you're describing a cutscene or something completely different than what's actually going on.

I wonder how entertaining playing baseball with bokoblins will be

Do you think anyone will even do it more than once

Again, these are fairly simplistic and limited interactions being shown here, and many of them don't really seem to have any purpose in the game and as tools of the player besides the sheer novelty of their own existence. I get that these sort of "you can do anything" interactions are how you sell directionless sandbox titles to the masses, but I don't see anything that's more impressive than what the competition is doing.

Edit: and hell, all you people saying you'll stick with claymores the whole game, I hope you really enjoy both of your attacks.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
GameCube was released 15 years ago. Kids who were born when GameCube released were 6 when Wii arrived. Thus, for plenty of people, Wii and Wii U are only Nintendo consoles they have a distinct memory about.

I am not talking about the specific person - just putting the dates in the perspective. Nintendo consoles are not as well-known amongst people of younger generations as they were for older people.
True, but i wasnt arent talking about the general public but a Gaffer...i dont think there are too many Gaffer who never owned a Nintendo system.

Top Bottom