• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda Breath of the WIld Weapons Gameplay video

MoonFrog

I do wonder how this free-wheeling weapon system will balance against the heavier puzzles. Will they just avoid puzzles that can be cheesed by the fire rod but are arduous to carry out with a torch, to account for you maybe not having a fire rod? But it seems even the shrines with the tablet gadgets are meant to be doable in various orders. Will the gadgets just be neat and interchangeable or truly integral to the puzzle design? Sandbox design is going to bump heads with puzzle design, so I'm curious how they'll navigate that.

I mean, I don't think I'll be held by the 'run around, kill things, find old Zelda things, break them, repeat' gameplay very much, so I hope they find a way to tie the neater effects they're designing back into more standard dungeon fare.

Combat seems to be a step down from Skyward Sword. Then again that was the only 3D Zelda with interesting combat, so I can't complain too much.

Hm? He was very expressive in Twilight Princess.

tumblr_mb9fg8WW4a1ryfenzo1_500.gif

Aint got nothing on Skyward Sword Link.

tumblr_lxejneB29O1qbbwtc.gif

LOL, these look like animatronic Links in comparison to his expressions in BotW. Scary, actually, with those looping GIFs.

Kikorin

My god, I've seen about nothing from the E3 (except for the awesome trailer) because I don't want to spoil nothing, but this Zelda looks absolutely beautiful for me, if I'll can play this on a portable (NX) will be my GOTY and even more.

balgajo

I agree that Breath of the Wild Link is indeed the best model. Though I stil prefer TP design. One of my favorites character design ever.
One day someone needs to do justice to TP design.
TPLink.jpg

sfried

Game looks good but I HATE the fact that it slows down every time you hit an enemy. Or is that just an effect?
It's been an effect ever since Ocarina of Time. The slight pause is intentional, and also serves as a way of letting the player know their hit really connected.

The Hermit

"They're just there to show they are actually not there anymore."

this impresses me so, so much.

The music, setting and small details ( the rusted Master Sword being the big one) all show how Hyrule is nothing but a distant memory.

Nintendo decided to change the whole formula of Zelda, a full descontruction, yet it all makes sense even in the lore/story sense.

I am impressed.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Game looks good but I HATE the fact that it slows down every time you hit an enemy. Or is that just an effect?

It's been an effect ever since Ocarina of Time. The slight pause is intentional, and also serves as a way of letting the player know their hit really connected.

Yep, what sfried said. It emphasizes strikes to give them weight. Sakurai discusses how he uses the effect in Smash in this piece.

RagnarokX

so the suddenly cut and change of music, was totally intentional, cool!

Huh? According to that video what they did was they cut and rearranged the trailer to create a different tone. They took ABC and made it ACB. So the trailer is not the original correct cut.

I'm bothered too much by weapon degradation. If it has to be a thing make it where it doesn't happen often.

It would bother me if I had to spend time and resources to fix the weapons, but weapons degrading is part of fighting. I find that kind interesting and cool. You can deal critical damage by breaking a weapon on an enemy.
Plus weapons are super easy to come by, it's not as big of a deal if a weapon breaks on you.
I would assume that the Master sword will be the only weapon that won't break.

It would bother me if I had to spend time and resources to fix the weapons, but weapons degrading is part of fighting. I find that kind interesting and cool. You can deal critical damage by breaking a weapon on an enemy.
Plus weapons are super easy to come by, it's not as big of a deal if a weapon breaks on you.
I would assume that the Master sword will be the only weapon that won't break.

it'd be fine if I wanted to get every single weapon. But if I really like a weapon style I'm going to actively avoid fights now as much as possible. I don't want to lose the claymore and have to replace it with a club.

aBarreras

Huh? According to that video what they did was they cut and rearranged the trailer to create a different tone. They took ABC and made it ACB. So the trailer is not the original correct cut.

yeah, meaning that it was intentional and not bad editing or something like some people thought

balgajo

I'm also not fan of weapon degradation. But if you have the ability to forge permanent weapons that most of times are weaker than the destructible ones I'll be fine with it.

Also, awesome tweet BY2K!

it'd be fine if I wanted to get every single weapon. But if I really like a weapon style I'm going to actively avoid fights now as much as possible. I don't want to lose the claymore and have to replace it with a club.

I don't think you have much of an option at the start, but I'm sure there would be a weapon crafting system for these things, plus probably a weapon repairs system for those who want it, especially if you have a really strong weapon you crafted.

I'm also not fan of weapon degradation. But if you have the ability to forge permanent sword that most of times are weak than the destructible ones I'll be fine with it.

Also, awesome tweet BY2K!

if they give me the option to forge my own weapons then yeah that's fine. Forge your own that is either unbreakable or at the least easily repairable. We don't know enough though so hopefully they took notes from other games with weapon durability issues.

Amirnol

This game looks incredible. I had the privilege of playing it at E3 and it is legit amazing. The controls feel so great, it was a true pleasure to explore and fight enemies. I am looking forward to this game more than any other at the moment!

RagnarokX

yeah, meaning that it was intentional and not bad editing or something like some people thought

No, it was bad editing. They intentionally edited it for whatever reason; it's not like they tripped over a cord and it rearranged the 2nd and 3rd parts. But the way things look and sound due to their intentional rearrangement is bad. A good edit doing the same thing would have been to rearrange the audio independently and blend the audio correctly, then arrange clips to the new audio. Instead it seems like what they did was they created a trailer with clips synced to the original arrangement of the music, then cut and rearranged the already completed trailer, which created the jarring visuals and audio.

ASIS

Combat looks really good! The skeleton arms thing was such a nice surprise.

On an unrelated note, what's wrong with Link's lips in SS?

Gsnap

I think for this game were gonna have to not get too attached to any one weapon. Until late game with the master sword, we may never get a sword that's "our" sword. Just "a" sword. To me it seems best to view the weapons the way You would view power ups in a platformer like Mario. In one level you get the fire flower. You use it for as long as you can, taking it to different levels, but you know it's just a power up, not your base state. So you know eventually you'll lose it. But that's fine because there's more power ups to be found. And besides, several of your abilities will be permanent like the runes and paraglider. You'll always have something to fight with.

ReyVGM

If you're talking about the 'bullet time', that only happens when you perform a perfect dodge.

If you're talking about the pause after each strike, that's intentional and personally I like it like that. It makes it feel like you actually hit something, otherwise it just feels like you're swinging at the air.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Can someone bring up a picture of the control scheme? I wanna see if there's an unused slot where perhaps you use your special items along with weapons.

Top Bottom