• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPhone 7 will the be the most powerful gaming system any Nintendo game has run on

Kind of crazy when you think about it (yeah obviously the graphics won't be better but still)

5t4gaQQ.png

iPhone 7 compared to older iPhones
OuIw2A5.png

This would put the GPU around 190-210 gigaflops or so

That's at 300mhz. We don't know the iPhone 7 clockspeed, although, it's likely higher. Also, we don't know yet about NX specs, and they may be on par with that. Maybe even higher.

sonto340

That's at 300mhz. We don't know the iPhone 7 clockspeed, although, it's likely higher. Also, we don't know yet about NX specs, and they may be on par with that. Maybe even higher.
Regardless, super mario run has been shown off so the claim in the OP holds up

LewieP

I never really understand why people get excited about jumps in performance for iOS devices.

All software will be targeting devices from a generation or two ago.

I never really understand why people get excited about jumps in performance for iOS devices.

Not really. Tons of games and apps like Pixelmator, Lightroom etc work a lot better on newest hardware and in most cases have exclusive features for newest hardware.

elohel

It is always noticeable, restores, software updates backups etc all run so much faster on new hardware and every year it's fun to see what the most maxed out game they can throw on a phone will look like

Basically everything gets better how is that not appealing?

rrs

doubtful unless nintendo is going to make something really expensive, and I honestly doubt that

Ridley327

Wasn't this already true when Miitomo came out? I know, blah blah blah what game, but this doesn't strike me as a particularly noteworthy item.

ItsDorf

Banned
It is always noticeable, restores, software updates backups etc all run so much faster on new hardware and every year it's fun to see what the most maxed out game they can throw on a phone will look like

Basically everything gets better how is that not appealing?

Not always true as they bloat the OS revisions which bog down the speed to some degree.
A lot of iOS features go wasted.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
..yeah but Nintendo games wont tax the system at all and the budget of the mobile games will be tiny compared to their console efforts. But mobile hardware has come a long way, once you start developing only for the Top Tier phones you use the markets main advantage - which is the huge userbase.

Not surprised. The iPhone 7 is also probably more powerful than the new rumored Nintendo console/tablet if the rumors about an Nvidia chipset is true. Apple never fucked around with their chips and they have always ran circles around anything from Samsung and Qualcomm.

LordOfChaos

This would put the GPU around 190-210 gigaflops or so

Keep in mind
1) That's at 300MHz, each generation also got higher clocked GPUs, the real Gflop numbers are higher by 40-70%

and

2) They've often seen performance increases without increasing the Gflop number, it's just a paper spec calculation, theres' a lot of work you can do in a GPU without changing that which PowerVR has shown in the past.

Stronger than the Wii U?

By a long shot. PowerVRs architecutres are also some of the more efficient per paper Gflop, raising it even further against the HD4000 series based Wii U GPU, and Apples CPUs are far and above the Espresso.

Ridley327

Is the iPhone 7 even as powerful graphically as the Wii U?

Considerably more capable, but as is always the problem, the issue comes back to budgets and price points. iPhone 7 could have a game that looks better than Breath of the Wild, but you won't see it because no one would spend the kind of money to make that game, nor could they get away with charging an appropriate price for it.

Mobile is a very, very different market than console, and Super Mario Run makes a hell of a lot more sense than making a 3D platformer for it.

random25

Is an iPhone even a gaming system? I know spec-wise it has pretty great bench numbers but in terms of actually running games, it's not optimized to run games on Wii U level.

Rodin

Too bad Nintendo achieved the same graphics at a lower res on a 3DS and way better graphics on Wii U with NSMB2/NSMBU lol

The NX is also a thing.

What are the chances of the iPhone 7 being more powerful than the NX?

0. Non that it matters too much seeing how current iOS games look worse than Vita launch games.

Synth

Is an iPhone even a gaming system? I know spec-wise it has pretty great bench numbers but in terms of actually running games, it's not optimized to run games on Wii U level.

If it was putting the games out at Wii U resolutions? Yea.

Top Bottom