• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPhone 7 will the be the most powerful gaming system any Nintendo game has run on

nampad

Is an iPhone even a gaming system? I know spec-wise it has pretty great bench numbers but in terms of actually running games, it's not optimized to run games on Wii U level.

Game companies make more money on Iphone than on Wii U. Is the Wii U even a gaming system?

It is always noticeable, restores, software updates backups etc all run so much faster on new hardware and every year it's fun to see what the most maxed out game they can throw on a phone will look like

Basically everything gets better how is that not appealing?

This.

This is the level of performance you're getting out of a year-old phone already: https://youtu.be/3-61FFoJFy0?t=68

With games though, it is true that developers target a baseline, though a lot of developers tend to target two levels of hardware: those before the ARM v8 Apple A7 and PowerVR Series 6 GPU and those after. But beacuse of this games will generally look identical across all devices past that "upper" baseline, so a game like the latest Skylanders or Disney Infinity 3, or Geometry Wars 3, will look the same on an iPhone 5s than it does an iPad Pro.

Ah yes the old "benchmarks are only half the story!", in this case we have only benchmarks to go off of so unless you know a better way to test the hardware against each other these scores are all we can use at the moment.

No, not at all. Just that Geekbench isn't a GPU benchmark. And the thread is about GPU. See the problem here ?

Hilarion

[Fugo];216571237 said:
...and also the most expensive system any Nintendo Game has run on?

This. And it'll only be 3-4 years before we start seeing "iPhone 9 matches Playstation 4" headlines, at the rate mobile hardware is improving.

I never really understand why people get excited about jumps in performance for iOS devices.

All software will be targeting devices from a generation or two ago.

Not to mention no game is going to be able to use all of that power anyways because it's a phone and not a device dedicated to gaming.

Anion

Really unsurprising honestly. Apple had had incredibly powerful chips in their phones for a long time. Like I remember the iPhone 5S the king until the 6 and would still beat out new android phones even when the 6S came out.

Deku Tree

Gruber blogged about this yesterday. I posted this last night:

Crazy to think about: Gruber says "iPhone 7 (and probably 6S too) will be the most powerful computing hardware any Nintendo game has ever run on.". Wonder if that will remain true once the NX is out? (http://daringfireball.net)

Wonder how powerful NX will be?

iPhone and mobile are becoming very powerful platforms with a massive volume of games, much bigger than any dedicated gaming platforms. Will they ever get to the point where they can also have depth of gameplay experiences as seen on consoles?

Sakura

I mean technically isn't this the case whenever a new system that runs Nintendo games comes out? The Wii was the most powerful system any Nintendo game has run on when it came out. Just seems like a case of semantics. And regardless it's not like any game is really going to take advantage of all the extra power on a phone.

FutbolBat

Banned
Not surprised. The iPhone 7 is also probably more powerful than the new rumored Nintendo console/tablet if the rumors about an Nvidia chipset is true. Apple never fucked around with their chips and they have always ran circles around anything from Samsung and Qualcomm.

Uh, no.

ethomaz

Banned
NX will be released like 6 months after iPhone 7 so he is right.

NX will be obvious more powerful but it will be late to the party.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I hear Mario Runner will feature 401 flying monkeys, so yes.

ar4757

And it will probably be the worst Mario game.

Dang, I think this is a perfect example of the graphics aren't everything phrase

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I would laugh my arse off it the iPhone 7 is more powerful then the NX.

Knowing Nintendo. It's quite likely.

nkarafo

So, this is a thread that calls out Nintendo systems (specifically, the WiiU), yet the comparison table only compares mobile phones tech.

So how do we know how powerful the iPhone 7 is compared to a WiiU?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's a portable and nowhere near as expensive as an iPhone 7 so yeah, it's likely.

True. Nintendo aren't going to release a $800 portable.

The cost of the iPhone 7 is not related to its SoC. So no, it's not likely.

I would say it's extremely likely that the iPhone 7 will be more powerful.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I would laugh my arse off it the iPhone 7 is more powerful then the NX.

Knowing Nintendo. It's quite likely.

Ask yourself how many iPhone games look better than the best Vita games. NX is rumored to be like at least 10x as fast as the Vita.

This comparisons doesnt make much sense - comparing mobile games to games designed for a gaming system and to be sold for full price.

nkarafo

Are there any benchmarks that compare mobiles, PCs and consoles together so we can have a reference? At this point i have no idea how each device compares to the other. Every phone benchmark i see is phones vs phones.

Ask yourself how many iPhone games look better than the best Vita games. NX is rumored to be like at least 10x as fast as the Vita.

This comparisons doesnt make much sense - comparing mobile games to games designed for a gaming system and to be sold for full price.

Yeah, budget and the market matter more than anything else when considering the top end of handheld games. It's why a fair few 3DS games look and perform better than a lot of Vita games, you've got developers and publishers throwing more resources at them and their best programmers.

No, not at all. Just that Geekbench isn't a GPU benchmark. And the thread is about GPU. See the problem here ?
Yeah. It's no doubt that iPhones surpasses the Wii U in CPU power a long time ago.

As for the topic, I'm definitely interested in Miyamoto and his team's feedback from working on the iPhone. It could have gave them some ideas on expectations for the NX.

JordanN

Banned
I mean technically isn't this the case whenever a new system that runs Nintendo games comes out? The Wii was the most powerful system any Nintendo game has run on when it came out. Just seems like a case of semantics. And regardless it's not like any game is really going to take advantage of all the extra power on a phone.

The Wii was weaker than Gamecube.

Nah, but you had the case of Resident Evil 4 looking better than a lot of Wii games

Daedardus

The biggest difference in comparing mobile socs with stationary devices like the Wii U is that synthetic benchmarks, which usually measure max performance aren't representative of the power to be delivered over longer periods of time. A phone running at full speed gets hot, drains the battery rather fast and throttles back the clockspeed if the temperature gets too high. Meanwhile a Wii U has active cooling, a larger surface and a stable power supply, meaning you can play it for hours at a time without a problem.

So yes, the iPhone is probably more powerful and faster due to more modern chip design, but it isn't designed to run the same games as a Wii U. That's where Nintendo has difficulty balancing the NX. It has to be powerful enough to run some games nicely, but at the same time doesn't overheat or drain the battery in two hours.

random25

Very much so?

I may have phrased it wrong, but what I mean is the iPhone or smartphones in general aren't optimized with games as a priority. The spec bumps are usually to improve the overall performance of the phone, especially on the productivity side, like camera quality, faster loading and performance times of apps, faster internet connectivity, security, etc. Besides, they can play games and improve graphics over time, sure, but it's not like games are their biggest selling points, like dedicated gaming hardware are, so you rarely see a game on iOS or Android that has console-level graphics and performance despite the phone's processing and graphics power.

Maybe I'll just say that smartphones are gaming systems, but aren't optimized gaming systems on the same level as consoles.

Game companies make more money on Iphone than on Wii U. Is the Wii U even a gaming system?

Nintendo makes more money selling games on Wii U than on an iPhone. :p

Peru

Phones have the most crazys spec but the smartphone game market does not support AAA titles. So none of them look like AAA games. None of them look as good as the best games on the Gamecube, nevermind later systems.

Look at the top of the line smartphone racing games. Super high res, super sharp image, but simple geography, simple buildings, cheap design / lack of vision.

I fail to see how this matters when the game design of most phone games are not oriented towards the high power of its specs.

KTallguy

Banned
Depressing but true.

Edit: Tell all the millions of people playing games on their phones that their phone isn't a gaming system. To them it doesn't (and shouldn't) matter.

Top Bottom