• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MSI CLAW gaming handheld leaked, features Intel Core Ultra 7 155H with Arc graphics and 32GB memory

LordOfChaos

Less than 24 hours after Intel reacted to this with 🤔🤔🤔

DChCqEN.png

Could be pretty solid, I think the Arc IGPs are around 4.5Tflops, even if you have to downclock that a fair bit for a handheld you'd comfortably be making something above the Steam Deck's 1.6, and yeah we all know Tflops aren't comparable but speaking in ballparks here and the Steam Deck GPU was before the change in AMD flops (effectively doubling them for not nearly as much performance gain later)

Edit:
There's 15W, 30W, and an extreme 45W mode. About on par with the ROG Ally performance at 30W

Last edited:
Based on the name I was expecting it to be some one handed controller like this:

ePUZRj9.jpg

A controller designed for gooners.
Reminds me of CollecoVision for some reason...
41yauCLNESL._SX215_QL70_ML2_.jpg

P.S. I have always been interested in a one-handed joystick with face buttons on the tip like a flightstick.

DaGwaphics

At a glance you are like 16 cores/22 threads (6 p cores + 10 e cores?) seems like a lot for a handheld device. If they can get a big enough battery in there, it might not be a bad option.

It will be interesting to see if intel will give the handheld makers sweetheart deals and to try and break into this market.

LordOfChaos

At a glance you are like 16 cores/22 threads (6 p cores + 10 e cores?) seems like a lot for a handheld device. If they can get a big enough battery in there, it might not be a bad option.

It will be interesting to see if intel will give the handheld makers sweetheart deals and to try and break into this market.

Yeah, 6P, 8E, 2 cores on the SoC for lower power E which can shut down the compute tile at low use and idle

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

Testing on this chip is already done it came out to be about 28% weaker then the AMD chips that came out last year that you can find on a ROG Ally and on top of that it performs pretty badly in a low TDP setting so if paying premium for a weaker handheld than a ROG Ally is your thing then go for it.

Last edited:

MikeM

Meh. I’d buy the Steam Deck because OLED and closest thing to console in a PC world (i.e. ease of use).

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
They went with a 'H' for a handheld? Stupid decision.

I understand that they needed to try something different, but that SoC is clearly worse than the Z1 extreme and the 7840U.

They don't have a trackpad, and is that LCD? RIP BOZO MSI.

DaGwaphics

Testing on this chip is already done it came out to be about 28% weaker then the AMD chips that came out last year that you can find on a ROG Ally and on top of that it performs pretty badly in a low TDP setting so if paying premium for a weaker handheld than a ROG Ally is your thing then go for it.

That's why I think it will be interesting to see how good of a deal Intel is giving them here. Seems like this would need to be priced lower than the Asus and Lenovo systems in order to compete, though there is more RAM.

Codes 208

Controls are pretty important as well. 😉
Valid, one my biggest gripes with the rog ally was how it felt like my hands were cramping just holding the damn thing, something i never had issues with regarding the switch or steam deck

Last edited:

GHG

What do you mean? You aren't looking forward to the Dragon Center in handheld form?

If people thought armoury crate was bad this is a whole new level. Never have I regretted installing a piece of software as much as dragon center. That thing has the capability to fuck things up to a level you didn't realise was possible through software alone.

That combined with Intel GPU drivers... It's not looking good.

LordOfChaos

The graphics performance of MTL 6+8+2 28W is about 30% better than 780M in synthetic benchmarks and about 10 to 15% in gaming, it comes down to drivers which have been improving rapidly but the hardware execution power is there.

DaGwaphics

^ So this is a new chip that hasn't been released yet or is it the old one? It's hard to tell which way is up with Intel's naming scheme.

LordOfChaos

^ So this is a new chip that hasn't been released yet or is it the old one? It's hard to tell which way is up with Intel's naming scheme.

It's Meteor Lake, 14th gen on mobile, which just launched in December. Not the same as the same old architecture 14th gen on desktop. It's a new architecture with disaggregated tiles and a new Intel 4 node, it brought power use down quite a lot and the IGP is twice as good per watt.

After having a ROG Ally for 24 hours, and helping my girlfriend set up her ROG Ally (Best Buy had the regular Z1 for $310 open box. She just wants to play "cozy" games anyway) I never want to touch Windows on a handheld ever again. Giant piece of shit OS made even worse.

Somehow she also refuses to use BPM.

EekTheKat

The apparent lack of touchpads makes this pretty much a non starter for quite a bit of pc centric games.

Steam Deck touchpads being able to be mapped to two bank of keys has been a godsend for games without native pad support.

Ready or Not has been a relatively pleasant experience on the Steam Deck, with gyro aiming and touchpads mapped to keys to give commands to teammates.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Waiting for Steam Deck 2. These beefy handheld PCs are pretty nice, but they don't have the stability, the OS.... and with Valve doing Steam Deck Verification on a game by game basis... yeah. My money is on the Big Bald Head with the Red Valve sticking out.

Onironauta

It's cool to see more big players investing in the handheld market, but I fear Intel APUs might not be efficient enough for low TDP devices like this, we'll see

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Keep em coming. Most exciting corner of gaming for me. Lots of swift advancements and with more competition, these will evolve at a rapid rate.

Ozriel

M$FT
I dont understand the hate for Windows handhelds. Like dont most of you play on desktop anyway?

Id rather deal with Windows updates and settings (actually kinda fun) than not being able to play COD or Destiny because of the shitty Linux OS.

Yeah, people talk like they spend most of the time in menus and the OS vs just playing the games.

There are significant tradeoffs with SteamOS, mainly games that don’t work (FC 24 especially, for me) and no native GamePass. I’m going to have to partition my Deck OLED to dualboot Windows just for that.

The MSI device isn’t that important on its own. What’s important is the new variable that is Meteor Lake, and if it gets more adoption by more OEMs for handheld PCs. AMD has made zero improvements for their low power APUs for 2024, so the only real opportunities for something new in the space comes from Intel and perhaps Qualcomm’s Nuvia based ARM chip that’s supposed to rival Apple’s M series.

winjer

Gold Member

Less than 24 hours after Intel reacted to this with 🤔🤔🤔

DChCqEN.png

Could be pretty solid, I think the Arc IGPs are around 4.5Tflops, even if you have to downclock that a fair bit for a handheld you'd comfortably be making something above the Steam Deck's 1.6, and yeah we all know Tflops aren't comparable but speaking in ballparks here and the Steam Deck GPU was before the change in AMD flops (effectively doubling them for not nearly as much performance gain later)

RDNA2 TFLOPs are close to double the performance of Arch.
For example, the Arch A770 has a 19.66 TFLOPS peak theoretical throughput. But it performs slightly slower than a 6650XT, which has 10.79 TFLOPS.
So those 4.5 TFLOPs of this handled will be closer to a 2.3Ghz RDNA2 GPU.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
As certified AMD Radeon hater and lover of actual GPUs like Nvidia make...cough....I just wanted to say that going with Intel seems really strange...

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Would be dope if intel could start making apus that challenge amd. I don't think its going to happen anytime soon, but it would be awesome.

Topher

Gold Member
I dont understand the hate for Windows handhelds. Like dont most of you play on desktop anyway?

Id rather deal with Windows updates and settings (actually kinda fun) than not being able to play COD or Destiny because of the shitty Linux OS.

If "most of you" play on desktop then they have a place to play COD or Destiny. Steam Deck is the last place I'd want to play those games personally. The problem with Windows is there isn't a unified UI for handhelds. Every manufacturer is forced to come up with their own and the experience isn't as good as Steam Deck's. So Valve is putting in the work that Microsoft won't and let's not pretend Asus, Lenovo and MSI are known for the software prowess before lamenting the "shitty Linux OS".

Top Bottom