• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mankind Divided looks insanely good at times

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I know the game is pretty inconsistent with its visuals when it comes to certain things, like character models and textures, but on the whole I've been really impressed by some of the art and design. The density of objects and materials in the levels is immense.

I think it's a huge step up from Human Revolution.

Some shots by our very own:

29188389285_2885d0c518_o.png

They've almost caught up to the ambitions of their art team, but the tech is still not there for at least most of the characters. I do not particularly mind some character looking worse than others, but they all share some fairly awkward mannerisms and animations that don't really quite look right in the end. Still having a blast, and it is a huge step up from Human Revolution in every technical respect (and most gameplay and some story ones), I just hope they match the animation quality and general consistency of some of their competitors with the next game, as I fear that they will likely go head to head with Cyberpunk 2077 with the next game.

I may still prefer the next DX over Cyberpunk even if it continues to have some consistency /technical issues, but that is because I'm already invested in and a fan of the series. The next DX game must compete head to head with Cyberpunk to attract mainstream audiences, not people like us who'll probably buy and enjoy both, and most will only pick one, especially if the two games come out near each other as it seems they may. I hope for Eidos Montreal's sake that they manage a leap in tech from MD to the next DX that is close to the leap between HR to MD, which would IMO probably bring them up to 2019-2020 standards in tech nicely, and caught up completely with the AAA cutting edge of tech unlike HR and sort of MD.

Still, as you've said, it often looks beautiful. It just lacks consistency in mostly character models and animations to match up. And from what I've heard, the main story's writing could use a little more cooking near the end (I'm halfway, maybe more, not sure). The formula could probably also use a mixup so that stealth isn't as easy as it is, with hopefully a higher difficulty option or two, with "Iron Man" modes (having only one save and it is deleted upon death) being a difficulty modifier usable on any difficulty and not a difficulty of it's own. I guess while I'm asking, please bring back swimming and other skills too, Eidos :p.

Edit:

Bear in mind, I've probably already spent hours of my playtime starring at the really stuff, and I'm taking my sweet time soaking the entire game in and enjoying it all. I've just got some thoughts on it's technical presentation.

BeeDog

Environmental art direction is second to none and one of the most beautiful games this generation, it's just a shame many characters stick out like sore thumbs, especially when you consider the poor animation.

Golem City is my favorite place in the game. Absolutely stunning.

Prague
at night
is also amazing in certain areas.

That game has some very high highs. The art direction and atmosphere is spot on. Certain areas would make me do a double take. It has some impressive scenery.

The final shot in the OP is absolutely incredible. The complimentary colors are on the dot. Excellent visual design. As a hope environmental artist a lot of these shots get me excited, but that shot in particular is godliness.

From the gamersyde videos and screens ive seen i find it a bit meh. Havent played it myself tho. The animation also seems rather awful all around. Animation has become hugely important for my tastes visually

yeah the art design of the game is incredible... (examples are just 720p from ps share but they still show how awesome the art is)

night time Prague and especially the Red Light district just leaves me a bit in awe...
(location spoilers.... not really story spoilers)
https://youtu.be/c4IjgcLJtXM?t=84

or Utulek... just wicked detail
(again, location spoilers... story spoilers only if you click much farther in the video)
https://youtu.be/Notc6NidGVQ?t=898
https://youtu.be/Notc6NidGVQ?t=3434

if you just let both play, I kinda 'tour' around HUD-less and just gawk at the gorgeous art (the story continues after a while though so just don't click 30m ahead or anything and ignore "recommended videos" ;p)

there's little things too like that shifting sands roof fixture in the Palisade bank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_K4UHfLuGg&feature=youtu.be&t=377

game has competitively the best crafted city hubs in a game... it's like if Novigrad was the only hub in a game and CDPR could put all the efforts into jamming detail into it rather than the rest of the world.

I just had to stop and take screenshots every so often. It's the most gorgeous a game has looked in terms of environmental art since Dishonored 1, which took the crown from Half-Life 2.

Dryk

From the gamersyde videos and screens ive seen i find it a bit meh. Havent played it myself tho. The animation also seems rather awful all around. Animation has become hugely important for my tastes visually
The animation is definitely the weakest link by a huge margin. Everything (especially the environments) looks great but as soon as things start moving it pulls you right out of it. That's still a step up for the series but it seems like all of the effort put into modelling and texturing things is a bit wasted considering how much the animations drag it down.

Sanctuary

I commented in another thread about how I thought the texture work in this game is amazing. That was met with "there are plenty of games from the last year that look better". I disagree. Although it might be a combination of the art direction, coupled with the textures, but they still stand out as extremely good.

Jintor

the humans interacting is where the metal meets the road. it's just so awkward right now. the best, most natural conversation I saw Jensen have so far in this game (just watching over my brother's shoulder) was with a static screen

I just had to stop and take screenshots every so often. It's the most gorgeous a game has looked in terms of environmental art since Dishonored 1, which took the crown from Half-Life 2.

Agreed, these three games build such a convincing world. I know the HL2 works with the Dishonored team which isn't surprising. Just hope Dishonored 2 has the same quality of world building.

Apologies for the radar, but I was too lazy to turn off every HUD aspect, and I wasn't trying specifically to create art shots, just gawping at stuff :p

Please don't let the graphics settings distract from the actual art!!!

And huge apologies for the mortal sin of these being default lossy Steam capture jpgs with the HUD fully on

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I like how every corner of Praha is different from any other one in that same HUB. Great attention to details.

The sin isn't posting screenshots with HUD, the sin is playing with the HUD in the first place :p

I like to play with default settings the first time I play any game, and I just prefer the HUD on in Deus Ex so I can review everything before any situation! (I turned made it all fade off when not in use for playthrough 3)

This was my first thought when I saw that "best looking fruit" thread a couple weeks back haha

That little food market and the restaurant on the other side of the street, or that water filling area before the first checkpoint were all small things but they had such great sort of 'daily life' detail to them. Felt like they added a lot to the setting and conveying how people actually lived there in Golem City.

The greenhouse area in ARC territory was really awesome too.

Hystzen

That shower scene at start with Jensen looks good with steam.

Favourite area was walking into red light district the colours and music was perfect

Neiteio

Apologies for the radar, but I was too lazy to turn off every HUD aspect, and I wasn't trying specifically to create art shots, just gawping at stuff :p

Please don't let the graphics settings distract from the actual art!!!

And huge apologies for the mortal sin of these being default lossy Steam capture jpgs with the HUD fully on
These look great. What's the setting this time? *does quick search online* Looks like it's Prague?

To be honest, I kinda forgot this came out. How are you liking it so far?

Mechazawa

It's a super beautiful game. What they lost in the diversity of the separate hubs, they made up for by cramming a metric fuckton of detail and personality into Prague and the areas you visit. Nothing in Human Revolution compares.

haveheart

Banned
Not sure if anyone has a picture of this, but inside the bank there's a really cool moving piece of art on the ceiling.

Yeah, I was staring at this for a couple of minutes.

They really did a great job on combing their artsy environment with actual playability. It's ultra-chic but not just facade.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination

They really did a great job on combing their artsy environment with actual playability. It's ultra-chic but not just facade.

I know exactly what part you're talking about, and it looks badass.

I just watched a quick video of Human Revolution on YouTube and I seriously have to wonder how in the world people can say Mankind Divided barely looks better. The difference between them technically is astounding. Hell, even on the artistic front I think Mankind Divided has many stronger and bolder choices. I can't be the only one who thinks it's one of this gen's best looking games.

Though I do agree with the lot of you that if the character models and animations were up to par, it would be a true spectacle. Maybe the next one!

Soma

I unapologetically adore the fixation this game has with geometric shapes in the fashion and architecture design. Love it.

Damn those shots are beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Currently playing through HR DC on Wii U, can't wait to keep the Deus Ex magic going with this one

Yes, this game looks amazing, some of my screenshots:
And that's not even High graphics settings. I was not expecting anything special in therms of graphics from this game because of pre-release talks about poor optimization and bad PC port. Same about gameplay length, there was talks about small and underwhelming campaign, but i'm played for 35 hours already and it feels like i finished only around 2/3 of story (M10-M11). I'm still waiting that ending will be disappointing, but for now this is my GOTY so far.

Yea, they nailed the near future setting really well, the city and enviroments have great art direction going for it. Also the mix of older style architecture with some futuristic scenery worked really well especially in Prague. Like you said though the characters look a little wooden almost like puppets but they nail the scenery.

Not sure if anyone has a picture of this, but inside the bank there's a really cool moving piece of art on the ceiling.
Yeah, felt the same way. Posted a description and link about it above.. last link in my post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_K4UHfLuGg&feature=youtu.be&t=377

A sort of shifting sands or wave roof fixture... it's subtle and kinda blends into the background at first, and you may not even pay attention to it the first few times you pass by. But when you stop and look, it kinda captures you.

Top Bottom