• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Salad Unboxing Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
414146.gif
Not very long ago, before TFA was released I set aside 2 hours to watch the incredibly famous 2 hour RLM review of The Phantom Menace. I had tried to watch it many ones before because people kept mentioning it as the second coming but could never go beyond the first few minutes. I thought the voice of the guy was aggressively unfunny and I was put off by the fact that a review could be as long as the movie itself.

I saw it in its entirety and I concluded I don't get this brand of humor. For the most part it was a waste of time. Something similar I felt as I skimmed through this salad unboxing. The punchline was ineffective too.

It's a long fight because it's the final battle of the trilogy. It makes sense that Lucas felt it should have been the longest fight. It makes sense for anything of that ilk, really. I'm not saying it was handled perfectly especially the last stretch of it, but there's nothing wrong with trying to make it feel epic. Whether or not you think it was is up to you. I looked forward to that fight for as long as I can remember and if it were a lot shorter I'd have been disappointed, even if it was prolonged by a bit of nonsense. I'll take it over something short and fleeting and I thought 90% of it was pretty fucking good.

There was a saber fight at the end of A New Hope? Ah, yeah. Sorry, I'm just mis-remembering, there's a saber fight at the end of The Force Awakens and since that's a retread of ANH, that means ANH has a saber fight at the end, too.
You can see how that's childlike thinking though, right?

"Well it's at the end, it has to be the biggest and longest fight so far! Otherwise people won't know it's important."

That's either childlike thinking on part of the director, or just thinking your audience is a bunch of morons.

When's even the last time we had a Plinkett review? Indiana Jones 4? That was over two years ago.
Titanic was only four years ago, as opposed to Indy which was five.

How long is the fight between Kenobi and Anakin compared to Luke vs Vader/Sidious?

I don't think the length is the sole problem. It's boring.

The thing about Lucas's prequel duels is that they're more like dances than action sequences. Thats where we got this.

ndILEqM.gif

and everything about Darth Maul.

Vashetti

Banned
How long is the fight between Kenobi and Anakin compared to Luke vs Vader/Sidious?

I don't think the length is the sole problem. It's boring.

My problem with the Obi/Anakin fight, is that they keep cutting to Yoda/Sidious which I find infinitely more interesting, and they don't show enough of it.

Melon Husk

The humor is in the meta, folks. If you haven't watched these guys for tens of hours then it isn't funny. The joke is in the first five-ten seconds and the rest is filler, lol.

Titanic was only four years ago, as opposed to Indy which was five.

If they review every Star Wars movie we won't have a dry season again.

My problem with the Obi/Anakin fight, is that they keep cutting to Yoda/Sidious which I find infinitely more interesting, and they don't show enough of it.

I found them both to be boring. Lucas shouldn't have edited them together like that, though. Let the two fights stand on their own. Cutting them together undercuts the emotional weight the Kenobi/Anakin fight had, not that it had much weight to it to begin with.

Used to love them. Lately they've gone downhill. : /
Downhill my ass they've had one of their best best of the worst episodes recently in the wheel of the worst one.

They've also added re:view to their regular programming, and occasionally make film commentary tracks. If anything half in the bag has taken a hit where its not as downright hilarious but their other videos are just as good

You can see how that's childlike thinking though, right?

"Well it's at the end, it has to be the biggest and longest fight so far! Otherwise people won't know it's important."

That's either childlike thinking on part of the director, or just thinking your audience is a bunch of morons.

No. I'm saying it's Star Wars, which exists to be larger than life. It's like Indiana Jones. Action sequences can last a while. The desert in Raiders, the mine cart in Temple, the... desert in Last Crusade. It doesn't have to be all about character development. It's about the fun and excitement. If you don't get that, okay. If you don't agree with that philosophy, okay. But that's why Lucas, Spielberg, Cameron, etc doesn't hold back on their action scenes sometimes. It's about those big climaxes and again, larger than life scenarios. It's about the escapism. And I think that's perfectly fine. I do find it 100% acceptable that, in a movie about heroes and villains and lightsabers and spaceships, that we get some fights that are big and enjoyable. If you don't find it enjoyable, again, that's fine, but it doesn't make it wrong.

There's nothing about the fight at the end of ROTS that is out of bounds for Star Wars. The Death Star trench run is actually longer.

Ekai

Downhill my ass they've had one of their best best of the worst episodes recently in the wheel of the worst one.

I've already discussed why they've gone downhill time and time again. They've embraced alt-right mannerisms, dialed up on the transphobia and talk about rape every other episode. They've gone downhill and hard.
This video seems at least mostly harmless. Tame, kinda amusing, but somewhat eh. Especially in comparison to their recent content.

There's been an extremely noticeable change in their content and it's odd to me how people act like they haven't.

No. I'm saying it's Star Wars, which exists to be larger than life. It's like Indiana Jones. Action sequences can last a while. The desert in Raiders, the mine cart in Temple, the... desert in Last Crusade. It doesn't have to be all about character development. It's about the fun and excitement. If you don't get that, okay. If you don't agree with that philosophy, okay. But that's why Lucas, Spielberg, Cameron, etc doesn't hold back on their action scenes sometimes. It's about those big climaxes and again, larger than life scenarios. It's about the escapism. And I think that's perfectly fine.
But it's a boring action sequence because it's immediately established that these too can do absolutely anything from the minute they're fighting while hanging on by their fingers from a falling structure. Your argument doesn't fit.

I've already discussed why they've gone downhill time and time again. They've embraced alt-right mannerisms, dialed up on the transphobia and talk about rape every other episode. They've gone downhill and hard.
This video seems at least mostly harmless. Especially in comparison to their recent content.

They also talk about murder since like the beginning. You don't care about murder?

But it's a boring action sequence because it's immediately established that these too can do absolutely anything from the minute they're fighting while hanging on by their fingers from a falling structure. Your argument doesn't fit.

What you meant to say is that our opinions are different. I don't think it's boring. Not everyone thinks it's boring.

And I see we have the roulette gif and such already out in full force, so yeah we're here.

MMaRsu

Banned
Meh Rich Evans.. wasnt a fan when he joined the video reviews either.

Gimme a new damn Plinkett review or something

Ekai

They also talk about murder since like the beginning. You don't care about murder?

I'm aware of what has been in their videos. I've been a fan since the beginning. But to deny that they've changed when they very much have is baffling to me.

Well of course our opinions are different, that's what we were talking about! You can't have a scene with so little tension stretch on for that long.

And I don't think it lacks tension. We're just running in circles with this. I can't convince you that it has tension and I have no desire to because it just ain't happening.

Xero

I still have never watched the plinker prequel reviews that everyone here loves. I just have no desire to have anyone go into that much detail over something I already know I don't like. I know most of bad loves relishing in its hate for things though as any comic book movie thread will attest.

Ekai

So you're alright with them talking about murder.

This deflection argument of yours makes no sense whatsoever. I'm discussing what the issue is for me. They've embraced alt-right nonsense/have a very far-right wing fanbase on yt ("lol SJWs"), mock trans people quite often now, and "joke" about rape every other episode it seems. If you can't address me or what my criticisms are whatsoever then this conversation isn't worth having.

This video seems at least mostly harmless. Tame, kinda amusing, but somewhat eh. Especially in comparison to their recent content.

There's been an extremely noticeable change in their content and it's odd to me how people act like they haven't.

Uh, what?

They actively talk shit about movies using rape as a plot-device. Just because they have punch-lines about rape when talking about Death Wish 3, doesn't mean that the context is "rape is funny". The context is "these filmmakers are slimy for making rape such an end-all-be-all device for the plot".

Transphobia? Rich has made at the top of my head, two transgender-related jokes since Best of the Worst started, three years ago.

I'm sorry for getting irritated, but wtf is it with people putting these guys together with the Alt-right? They stay apolitical all the time. Recently when confronted on their stream about being presumedly alt-right, they denied the notion and clarified that essentially none of them share the same political views.

They mock "SJW", but not fighting social injustices. They often talk about diversity in movies and including many.

Just because they mock the term SJW and people trash-talking them for it, does not equate them to being on the opposite end of social progressivism.

They poke fun at the people who want to label them for the most minor things, essentially calling their bullshit for not taking the whole context into consideration.

Like of course people will hate the social progressive movement when they will not listen to any nuance and say that everything is one thing and then dismiss what you are saying.

This video seems at least mostly harmless. Especially in comparison to their recent content.
I thin our definitions of 'downhill' is quite different then because the quality of the shows are still there I guess that now they're simply not appealing to you in terms of your personal views. Which is understandable.

Because I don't really see the transphobia outside of Rich just not giving a fuck about what he says. Mike has admitted he's racist, but he's no more racist with his humor than like most people that I turn the street and meet.

As to 'alt right' you can call it that if you want, all I see is 4 guys who don't like outrage culture and now are antagonistic towards it because, well people are making a big deal out of it on the Internet. They have still made a case for not being pieces of shit for being disturbed by a video that essentially boiled down to rape and giving their opinions on actresses and how the industry treats them. Plenty of films they'll outright say that x actress was the only good part in it. Heck even in the Ghostbuster review which likely triggered half of twitter they said that Leslie Jones was the best part of the movie. But their point that the film was downright the wrong one to rally behind for feminism is a valid one because they thought it was bad in every single regard and that there has to be a better movie to put on the forefront.

Henkka

Banned
I still have never watched the plinker prequel reviews that everyone here loves. I just have no desire to have anyone go into that much detail over something I already know I don't like. I know most of bad loves relishing in its hate for things though as any comic book movie thread will attest.

Eh, I think you're overstating it. They're just funny, insightful reviews. It's not just relishing in hate, either. There's some gushing over what made the original SW films great and such, and I think the criticism of the prequels is fair, if barbed.

This deflection argument of yours makes no sense whatsoever. I'm discussing what the issue is for me. They've embraced alt-right nonsense/have a very far-right wing fanbase on yt ("lol SJWs"), mock trans people quite often now, and "joke" about rape every other episode it seems. If you can't address me or what my criticisms are whatsoever then this conversation isn't worth having.

What alt-right nonsense have they embraced? You're mad at them making jokes about rape, but you're alright with them making jokes about murder. Doesn't make sense.

Ekai

Uh, what?

They actively talk shit about movies using rape as a plot-device. Just because they have punch-lines about rape when talking about Death Wish 3, doesn't mean that the context is "rape is funny". The context is "these filmmakers slimy for making rape such an end-all-be-all device for the plot".

Transphobia? Rich has made at the top of my head, two transgender-related jokes since Best of the Worst started, three years ago.

I'm sorry for getting irritated, but wtf is it with people putting these guys together with the Alt-right? They stay apolitical all the time. Recently when confronted on their stream about being presumedly alt-right, they denied the notion and clarified that essentially none of them share the same political views.

I'd agree with you somewhat on the rape point here but they'll just use yelling "rape" as a punchline when it makes no sense. It's uncomfortable and unfunny.

If you can only think of two then you haven't been paying attention for over a year+. It's been a constant of their recent content. Particularly since Caitlin Jenner came out.

When they try to downplay sexism and claim that sexism is partially made up for ratings, it's alt-right nonsense. It's a conspiracy theory and defends the alt-right from the shit they spew. . They dived in really hard on "anti-sjw" nonsense that the alt-right espouses recently. That's all there is to it. They have this view of themselves for a reason. It's not out of nowhere and it's certainly not undeserved.

Ekai

Not sure RLM has a link to Caitlin Jenner.

I'm discussing the change in their content and how they started to make more transphobic jokes around the time she came out. I'm not saying she personally has anything to do with them. >_> How you got that out of my post, I can't even fathom.

I'd agree with you somewhat on the rape point here but they'll just use yelling "rape" as a punchline when it makes no sense. It's uncomfortable and unfunny.

If you can only think of two then you haven't been paying attention for over a year+. It's been a constant of their recent content. Particularly since Caitlin Jenner came out.

When they try to downplay sexism and claim that sexism is partially made up for ratings, it's alt-right nonsense. They dived in really hard on "anti-sjw" nonsense that the alt-right espouses recently. They have this view of themselves for a reason. It's not out of nowhere and it's certainly not undeserved.

Context is everything. When they're joking about death-stalker raping everything, the joke isn't that rape is funny, but that the movie is so shitty, that it treats rape like it's nothing.

When Rich screams AIDS, the joke isn't that aids is funny. The joke is that it's an offensive non sequitur from a joke character. When Rich screams that, it's no more different than in the EP2 review when the TNG-guy says "You mean the arabs?".

And to be honest, I can of the top of my head remember one time Rich said anything about transgender people, which is when they're joking about the "tranny-tracker 5000" in Hands of Steel. To their credit, the joke wasn't on the expense of transgender people, it was the fact that the movie had a gender-seeking scope with graphics from Atari, showing men as blue pixelated characters, and women as pink pixelated characters.

You do know this is a joke, right?
By pure modern definition he's likely considered racist solely on his bad jokes about it. But thats why I said he's no more racist than anyone else who makes bad racist jokes among friends, which is where he is. I'm about as racist with my jokes as he is when I'm around friends, and even if it's largely self deprecating. But it is going to bother the Internet crowd, that's a fact. Which is a shame.

Aylinato

It doesn't invalidate it, but it's tired. The thing about arguing against the reviews is that there are a lot of facts there, but things that had already been pointed out a ridiculous number of times before the reviews existed. I don't think anyone that likes them thinks that the acting or dialogue is good, but it's still perfectly fine to enjoy them. I find them very enjoyable despite their problematic nature. I don't go in so hard on them because I can take them for what they are. I don't compare them to Braveheart or something, and I don't think the originals were superlative when it comes to some of the problems the prequels have either. The Force Awakens' writing/performances is far and away better, as are the special effects, yet you get online and everyone is just bitching about how it's a retread of A New Hope. So obviously these things aren't actually why people like Star Wars.

Basically it's fine to hate them, it's fine to like them. People have different barometers, and the problem with Star Wars prequel discussion is that unless you're there to shit on them, you might as well just fuck off.

A valid argument isn't tired. The only tired thing is the people who defend the prequels.

I can't say I've noticed that, but at this point I don't really know what doesn't make you an alleged nazi in the eyes of the pc police anymore. I'm not sure how you ever became a fan of the channel if you're too sensitive for crude humor.

By pure modern definition he's likely considered racist solely on his bad jokes about it. But thats why I said he's no more racist than anyone else who makes bad racist jokes among friends, which is where he is. I'm about as racist with my jokes as he is when I'm around friends, and even if it's largely self deprecating. But it is going to bother the Internet crowd, that's a fact. Which is a shame.

Mike is the guy who was calling George Lucas out on his bullshit when he talked about black teenagers having no role models, turning Red Tails into this social movement, when he's horribly out of touch.

Mike is the guy who calls shit on Adam Sandler all the time, for his humor being at the expense of immigrants and fat people.

Mike is the guy who called Lucas for bringing in Samuel L Jackson for box-office purposes, when there are better African American actors for the role of a wise jedi.

Mike constantly calls out racist bullshit, but in small subtle bursts.

Ekai

Context is everything. When they're joking about death-stalker raping everything, the joke isn't that rape is funny, but that the movie is so shitty, that it treats rape like it's nothing.

When Rich screams AIDS, the joke isn't that aids is funny. The joke is that it's an offensive non sequitur from a joke character. When Rich screams that, it's no more different than in the EP2 review when the TNG-guy says "You mean the arabs?".

And to be honest, I can of the top of my head remember one time Rich said anything about transgender people, which is when they're joking about the "tranny-tracker 5000" in Hands of Steel. To their credit, the joke wasn't on the expense of transgender people, it was the fact that the movie had a gender-seeking scope with graphics from Atari, showing men as blue pixelated characters, and women as pink pixelated characters.

I'm aware context matters. To me it comes across as them treating it way too lightly.

One time? Are you you serious? There's been constant jokes demeaning trans people for being brave(ie, that Susan "joke"), Rich cross-dressing to mock trans people, using trans-slur words, many other "jokes" I really don't care to remember, etc. etc. etc. It's been such a big part of their content recently. How you don't notice it is incredibly odd to me.

I can't say I've noticed that, but at this point I don't really know what doesn't make you a nazi in the eyes of the pc police anymore I'm not sure how you ever became a fan of the channel if you're too sensitive for crude humor..

Ahh, yes, because criticizing shitty/lazy content that goes for low-hanging fruit/punches down is the same as calling you personally a nazi. >_>
Get real now.

As for crude humor, I'm fine with crude humor. I'm not fine with the 3 things I listed. Making light of rape, lazy and trite trans jokes and embracing alt-right conspiracy theory nonsense. Their content has changed big time, whether you care to acknowledge it or not.

I watched their content for the discussion, shitty videos, and witty jokes. Not for the junk I'm criticizing. This isn't about being "sensitive". It's about being critical. If you want to characterize it as something else by all means continue to just victimize yourself while trying to demean me.

Mike is the guy who was calling George Lucas out on his bullshit when he talked about black teenagers having no role models, turning Red Tails into this social movement, when he's horribly out of touch.

Mike is the guy who calls shit on Adam Sandler all the time, for his humor being at the expense of immigrants and fat people.

Mike is the guy who called Lucas for bringing in Samuel L Jackson for box-office purposes, when there are better African American actors for the role of a wise jedi.

Mike constantly calls out racist bullshit, but in small subtle bursts.
Mike is also the guy making the bad jokes here and there on half in the bag. I'm saying that by the standards of outrage culture, he's racist and he just gave up and called himself that half jokingly because at the end of the day if you aren't a Saint who never says anything wrong about another ethnicity you will be considered one. Context of saying a bad joke with friends is lost in this situation. Context of your true opinions not being in line with your bad joke doesn't matter in this situation.

They are unfortunately in a situation where realistically an audience like gaf wouldn't like them as much as before because they just don't tend to give a fuck about their jokes. And I don't blame them. I like them as they are, but look at where they are being put now as "alt right" because of it. I don't want them to neuter their humor. I'm glad they aren't

I'm aware context matters. To me it comes across as them treating it way too lightly.

One time? Are you you serious? There's been constant jokes demeaning trans people for being brave(ie, that Susan "joke"), Rich cross-dressing to mock trans people, using trans-slur words, etc. etc. etc. It's been such a big part of their content recently. How you don't notice it is incredibly odd to me.

Susan was an ad-libbed non sequitur from nowhere. Much like the intro of the Max Landis interview when Jay introduces himself as everyone.

Rich was cross-dressing to mock the laziness of Adam Sandler and how poorly they handled that aspect of Jack and Jill.

And to put Rich into context, I'm gonna quote myself:
Considering Rich's life, it doesn't surprise me that his POV is that he's not really beholden to hold back because of empathy. He believes in clear cut concreteness and no holds barred.

Like, he's the guy who grew up in a shitty family of drug abusers and who's been dealing with physical pain and poverty for most of his life. To him there isn't much of ridicule in the jokes, as he is in his POV, not making jokes about anyone less fortunate than him.

Rich is cynical and believe people should just get a thicker skin, but to say that he's trowing slurs around, is ridiculous. They've mentioned on the streams getting a lot of complaints and adjusting accordingly with the shooting and editing.

mollipen

They've embraced alt-right mannerisms, dialed up on the transphobia and talk about rape every other episode.

I watch every single thing they release, and this is BS. Yes, they've made a few "I kind of wish they hadn't gone there" comments over their existence, but I'd love to see proof of this "dialing up" because it doesn't exist–and it isn't like I'm not going to notice.

Ekai

Susan was an ad-libbed non sequitur from nowhere. Much like the intro of the Max Landis interview when Jay introduces himself as everyone.

Rich was cross-dressing to mock the laziness of Adam Sandler and how poorly they handled that aspect of Jack and Jill.

And to put Rich into context, I'm gonna quote myself:

Rich is cynical and believe people should just get a thicker skin, but to say that he's trowing slurs around, is ridiculous. They've mentioned on the streams getting a lot of complaints and adjusting accordingly with the shooting and editing.

The Susan joke was constantly used in reference to mocking the courage of trans people. That was the point of the joke. It's low-hanging and punching down. Separating it from the point and how often it popped up is more than disingenuous.

The cross-dressing bit I'm referencing was literally a few months ago at most. It had nothing to do with the Jack and Jill review. They were explicitly mocking trans people in the bit I'm talking about. How you seriously can't see it, I am baffled by.

They haven't really edited much of it out from what I've seen.

I watch every single thing they release, and this is BS. Yes, they've made a few "I kind of wish they hadn't gone there" comments over their existence, but I'd love to see proof of this "dialing up" because it doesn't exist–and it isn't like I'm not going to notice.

I used to watch everything they released and don't see how it's BS at all, to be frank. Again, it's been a far more frequent part of their content over the past year and it's what turned me away from them. I wouldn't not notice this or make it up. >_>

Where the hell is this crossdressing thing from if it was from a few months ago then it shouldn't be hard to find, please link the video as I completely missed it.

And Jesus, please stop saying "how you haven't noticed it completely baffles me"

Repeating the same sentence on every post isn't going to make us realize it, point your examples if you're so adamant that theyve gone this route because simply hand waving it isn't going to count.

Ahh, yes, because criticizing shitty/lazy content that goes for low-hanging fruit/punches down is the same as calling you personally a nazi. >_>
Get real now.

You're calling people alt right, which is basically calling them nazis, because you can't take a couple of jokes. Failing to comprehend blatant irony from a place that's constantly dismissing actual hateful humour. Get real.

As for crude humor, I'm fine with crude humor. I'm not fine with the 3 things I listed. Making light of rape, lazy and trite trans jokes and embracing alt-right conspiracy theory nonsense. Their content has changed big time, whether you care to acknowledge it or not.

They got famous through videos featuring rape jokes. They don't push conspiracy theories, they pointed out the absurdity of the narrative sorrounding the pre-release Ghostbusters defence force, which didn't make any sense whatsoever if you actually leave the internet for a day and talk to real people about movies. What they said about the film's producers is actually the most obvious thing there is.

The Susan joke was constantly used in reference to mocking the courage of trans people. That was the point of the joke. It's low-hanging and punching down. Separating it from the point and how often it popped up is more than disingenuous.

The cross-dressing bit I'm referencing was literally a few months ago at most. It had nothing to do with the Jack and Jill review. They were explicitly mocking trans people in the bit I'm talking about. How you seriously can't see it, I am baffled by.

They haven't really edited much of it out from what I've seen.

Are you kidding me? The Susan-joke started in this video, as a riff on infomercials where a sturdy man, tells a helpless woman how things are done. It's riffing on the outdated concept, much in the same way they make fun of the "Family's guide to the internet" when the video is mocking women for supposedly not being able to handle any computers.

And I just skimmed through their output for the last few months, and can't for the life of me figure out which video has Rich cross-dress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom