• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palmer Luckey issue statement on actions on Nimble America

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Receipts.gif

https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/p...-clinton2019s-use-of-a-personal-e-mail-system

In looking back at our investigations into mishandling or removal of classified information, we cannot find a case that would support bringing criminal charges on these facts. All the cases prosecuted involved some combination of: clearly intentional and willful mishandling of classified information; or vast quantities of materials exposed in such a way as to support an inference of intentional misconduct; or indications of disloyalty to the United States; or efforts to obstruct justice. We do not see those things here.

To be clear, this is not to suggest that in similar circumstances, a person who engaged in this activity would face no consequences. To the contrary, those individuals are often subject to security or administrative sanctions. But that is not what we are deciding now.

gohepcat

Banned
I like how I'm supposed to be mad about the "too big to jail" billboard when she literally weaseled her way out of the email scandal (despite the FBI director saying the consequences would have been severe for any other person)

Its like you are getting your news from another planet. This is the EXACT opposite of that he said. Wow.

Just...wow

I'm not comfortable saying its Palmer in the Trump video without several rounds of DNA testing, voice recognition software, a psychological evaluation, a background check on his parents, and a thorough interrogation of every scientist on the planet to ensure there's no cloning going on.

If it all checks out, only then will I entertain the possibility of that being Lucky.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
So he wanted it to be known, but didn't think of the consequences since he apologized.

Interesting line of thoughts for a surely heavy forum poster.

He really didn't apologize though.

I'm not comfortable saying its Palmer in the Trump video without several rounds of DNA testing, voice recognition software, a psychological evaluation, a background check on his parents, and a thorough interrogation of every scientist on the planet to ensure there's no cloning going on.

If it all checks out, only then will I entertain the possibility of that being Lucky.
Hello gafneo's alt account.

studyguy

Specifically

Although there is evidence of potential violations of the statutes regarding the handling of classified information, our judgment is that no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case. Prosecutors necessarily weigh a number of factors before bringing charges. There are obvious considerations, like the strength of the evidence, especially regarding intent. Responsible decisions also consider the context of a person’s actions, and how similar situations have been handled in the past.

In looking back at our investigations into mishandling or removal of classified information, we cannot find a case that would support bringing criminal charges on these facts. All the cases prosecuted involved some combination of: clearly intentional and willful mishandling of classified information; or vast quantities of materials exposed in such a way as to support an inference of intentional misconduct; or indications of disloyalty to the United States; or efforts to obstruct justice. We do not see those things here.

To be clear, this is not to suggest that in similar circumstances, a person who engaged in this activity would face no consequences. To the contrary, those individuals are often subject to security or administrative sanctions. But that is not what we are deciding now.

Machina

Banned

We all know cloning happens on Moon Base Brave 6-5. Hello Palmer!!

collige

Banned
Specifically
To clarify, he's not saying that any other person in the same situation would've gotten prosecuted. He's saying that the nature and severity of Clinton's fuck up aren't severe enough for her to be prosecuted criminally. The FBI was only looking into the criminal aspect of the incident and any administrative repercussions can't really happen since she's not with the State Department any more.

Is Occulus going to give this guy his VR golden parachute. This is unbelievable

He already got his parachute when FB bought out Oculus to begin with.

Cipherr

I really don't understand how people confuse the FBI saying that an employer might discipline an employee that makes a similar mistake with email as the FBI saying "Anyone else who made that mistake would be in JAIL!"

Like... do you people just hear half of what someone says and fill in the rest with whatever the fuck you want to?

mugwhump

Ty for this link.

"NimbleRichMan -4 points 1 hour ago
I have provided your leaders with that information. I am up there. Unfortunately, I have to be careful with any information that could let people figure out my exact identity. Our adversaries have enormous power, and the best way I can continue to fight the good fight is to keep doing well in business and funding good causes with the proceeeds."

lol holy shit. well that plan didn't work out the way he wanted...
wat

but then

why would he

CtEUooTUsAAAOlO

see.gif

kami_sama

Words with no meaning behind them. Like I said before in the other thread, I hope Facebook outs his ass.

Also, this seems to be done by him, and will likely not help with the devs not developing for the oculus, and that's where it will hurt financially.

Hoje0308

Banned
I really don't understand how people confuse the FBI saying that an employer might discipline an employee that makes a similar mistake with email as the FBI saying "Anyone else who made that mistake would be in JAIL!"

Like... do you people just hear half of what someone says and fill in the rest with whatever the fuck you want to? And if you do, keep that shit inside your skull, because no one outside of that hollow dome of yours is going to buy that shit.

That person may have simply heard statements made by friends or relatives, or saw a picture with words on it posted on social media and then accepted it as fact without any further thought. Or some shitbag on Fox News or a talk radio show said it with confidence and, well, you know what happens next. It's sad and worrying how many people succumb to this kind of stupidity.

wat

but then

why would he

It doesn't seem implausible that the kind of person who deeply believes this type of worldview to be valid and likely "right" would also make a choice as horribly stupid as almost directly telling a reporter about it.

I'm still legitimately shocked that these are his core beliefs. 'It even just because of who he is, but really I've just been struggling to accept that anyone views the world through that lens still.

bj00rn_

Banned
Well, I'm an engineer so as usual I'd like to see the clean exact facts from a neutral source. The extreme left or extreme right with their crazy eyes and arms in the air is more tiring than enlightening.

Disclaimer: I cannot stand Trump and think he as a president could potentially send the world into a very dark place (much like Putin..and ISIS).

I think it's good to remember that Luckey states he donated 10k, but the rest of his statement is bullshit, so this could be as well.

Well, I'm an engineer so as usual I'd like to see the clean exact facts from a neutral source. The extreme left or extreme right with their crazy eyes and arms in the air is more tiring than enlightening.

Disclaimer: I cannot stand Trump and think he as a president could potentially send the world into a very dark place (much like Putin..and ISIS).
He admits to donating to Nimble America, even removing everything else, isn't that enough?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
He admits to donating to Nimble America, even removing everything else, isn't that enough?

Nope.

I can't see how this is going to be resolved without lawyers. If Palmer did send those emails then he's incredibly stupid to deny them.

On the other hand I can't see the journalist fabricating those emails.

IrishNinja

oh he's an engineer so he's just asking questions, people

RibMan

Someone's not telling the truth. All evidence points to his involvement (in Nimble) being way more than just a small donation.

Or hey, maybe his involvement is actually from a distance and we all owe him an apology.

Nope.

I can't see how this is going to be resolved without lawyers. If Palmer did send those emails then he's incredibly stupid to deny them.

On the other hand I can't see the journalist fabricating those emails.
Given he let Milo brag about it being him and his Twitter 'like' history, I'm expecting the former.

Polk

What would you consider neutral source though?

Krejlooc

Banned
It's ironic that someone who sells himself as a tech guru could be so fucking awful at posting on the internet and lying about him. You emailed the guy from the daily beast confirming your role as NimbleRichMan, did you forget that emails can be pulled up again in the future?

In the end, Palmer Luckey wound up being a goddamn idiot.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Given he let Milo brag about it being him and his Twitter 'like' history, I'm expecting the former.
Bring out the lawyers.

Huh? Donating even just $1 to a white-supremacist/misogynistic/anti-lgbt harassment group should be enough to know where he stands>

Palmers version of event states he was paying for billboards. That's the story he's sticking to.

thought the organization had fresh ideas on how to communicate with young voters through the use of several billboards

It kinda implies that he didn't think they were a white supremacy organisation.

I like that his apology is that he's a libertarian and supports Gary Johnson. You know you're in pretty deep when that sounds like a solid out.

"I couldn't have been the one who stole the watch. I was shitting in a potted plant and looking for leprechauns in the next room over at the time."

UrbanRats

I like that his apology is that he's a libertarian and supports Gary Johnson. You know you're in pretty deep when that sounds like a solid out.

"I couldn't have been the one who stole the watch. I was shitting in a potted plant and looking for leprechauns in the next room over at the time."

Again, he's clearly not apologizing to the public, for his sociopolitical views.
People who are puzzled or disappointed by his "apology" should see that.

He first apologizes to the Oculus folks for the damage his actions have done to them (in a financial and public image sense) and then to the (VR) community, for a similar reason.
Nowhere do i see him saying "sorry i'm a libertarian/conservative/supporting these groups" or anything like that.

So going "This apology isn't enough!" is missing the fact that he isn't trying to apologize to you in the first place.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Bring out the lawyers.

Palmers version of event states he was paying for billboards. That's the story he's sticking to.

No, it implies he donated money to an organisation then said "lalalalala" while sticking his fingers in his ears when that organisation turned out to be an alt right nut house and people found out.

Who gives money to any political group without not knowing what they are? Luckey isn't getting out of this feigning ignorance.

He's knee deep in shit here of his own making. He's currently trying to deny the existence of that shit. He knows what Nimble America are. His involvement is much deeper than just donations and he knows it. Even his non denial of the NimbleRichGuy account is telling. He never denied having access to the account or knowing about it, just that the posts were not his personally and he didn't delete it.

An innocent person would say "I have no idea about this account and disavow all of the content purporting to be from myself". He cannot do this, for reasons that have been stated multiple times in this thread.

Kard8p3

atpRtsd1.png
atpRtsd2.png

atpRtsd3.png
atpRtsd4.png

So...He donated 10k without really knowing what a group stands for? I mean he's clearly proven himself to be stupid the last few days, but lol. If you think he had no idea, then I have a bridge to sell you dude.

At this point, I can't decide whether South-Park Libertarians or Techno-Libertarians are worse. Feels like the latter can do more harm, but then they use the former as their footsoldiers.

I wish I wasnt in bed. I feel like photoshoping some rifts on Trump or pasting that image of Luckey from the Time cover at a Trump rally or something.

Palmer Luckey is a goddamn piece of shit and a moron. Why he thought his direct correspondence with the Daily Beast would not be published the second he decided to lie about it is baffling.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Bring out the lawyers.

Why does that element of his non-apology deserve the benefit of the doubt when it includes other obvious falsehoods? When it also includes a claim that he wasn't behind the NimbleRichMan account yet The Daily Beast's email communication has him confirming the exact opposite? Or the clear lie that he's not a Trump supporter based on all of his Twitter activity? There's no reason to give him this silly claim that he blissfully unaware of what he was funding (and participating in).

Top Bottom