• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palmer Luckey issue statement on actions on Nimble America

oh he's an engineer so he's just asking questions, people

Lol!! Guys, engineers are people too!!1!!1!1!1

Fuck all this engineer bullshit, y'all. Fuck all this 24 year old bullshit y'all. Everyone needs to get their heads out of their Ocul-ass and look at the facts that at being presented.

Y'all cray crays better be not at my jury list because you cannot look at the facts without distorting this shit as if there's an agenda led by NeoGAF of all places.

Y'all mofos need Jesus.

jem0208

Is there any evidence that Luckey is the NimbleRichMan other than claims from The Daily Beast and its associated people?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's fucking amazing that his initial action is to protect himself and not his company.

His apology pertains to "the perception of Oculus and its partners" and "the community", and he also stresses that his actions "do not represent Oculus". He's covering Facebook's arse far more than his own, and if I were to guess, I'd say that the statement was at least approved by Facebook and the goal was for Luckey to create as much distance between it and himself as possible.

I hope everyone realises that the Daily Beast source is Palmer Luckey. This isn't some third party hearsay. If they fabricated direct quotes and published the story they would be committing libel against a man with more than enough resources to sue them. There has been no such threats and now they've released the email correspondence.

jem0208

Direct quotes from Palmer Luckey in now published email correspondence.

the emails they have on twitter that have yet to be disproved or even challenged.
It's not like that would be hard to fake, anyone could do it in 10 minutes. It was also posted by one of the guys who wrote the article.

Ignore the above, I had a dumb moment.

I'm just trying thinking about the motives.

What does Luckey gain from telling TDB one thing and then refuting it in a following statement? Absolutely nothing, it's actually tarnished his reputation as we can obviously see.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
exactly, but some of ya'll wanna "bring out the lawyers", "clean exact facts from a neutral source" or whatever in feigned objectivity land
Until there's an archived livestream showing Palmer Luckey typing those NimbleRichMan posts, he's innocent!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Direct quotes from Palmer Luckey in now published email correspondence.
On top of that milo confirmed it.

dLhI74W.jpg

ZvqQGjF.jpg

What a disgusting little man, can't believe I actually used to think he was one of the few cool people in the industry.

Really hope this still ends up being bullshit somehow but I don't realistically see that happening..

It's not like that would be hard to fake, anyone could do it in 10 minutes. It was also posted by one of the guys who wrote the article.

What does Luckey gain from telling TDB one thing and then refuting it in a following statement? Absolutely nothing, it's actually tarnished his reputation as we can obviously see.

What does TDB gain from lying? Lots and lots of clicks.

Are you fucking for real? If TDB had faked this Lucky and Facebook's legal team would have been so far up their ass by now they'd know what they had for lunch. Their site would be destroyed faster than Gawker. You think they'd do that "for clicks"? Occam's Razor, playboy. Palmer Lucky is probably just an idiot.

IrishNinja

ego validation is somehow not a thing here

One of them made it as far as winning the Republican nomination for President.

i said goddamn

Until there's an archived livestream showing Palmer Luckey typing those NimbleRichMan posts, he's innocent!

2 forms of gov't I.D., one held by his grandma

ahaha lookit how fast this shitheel sells out his boy, too
hang with snakes, brehs

Fat4all

Banned

what does a publication gain from committing libel against a multi-millionaire?

You'd think if it was fake he would of yelled it from the heavens by now.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Uh, who else would share the communication that helped source the article?

Sure, The Daily Beast could manufacture email images... and get sued into oblivion. That's some great Get Rich Quick scheme!

jem0208

Are you fucking for real? If TDB had faked this Lucky and Facebook's legal team would have been so far up their ass by now they'd know what they had for lunch. Their site would be destroyed faster than Gawker. You think they'd do that "for clicks"? Occam's Razor, playboy. Palmer Lucky is probably just an idiot.
That's fair enough actually, hence the edit.

Also Milo Yia... whatever the fuck it is's post is fairly damning.

Uh, who else would share the communication that helped source the article?

Sure, The Daily Beast could manufacture email images... and get sued into oblivion. That's some great Get Rich Quick scheme!

Yes, what I posted about them faking it was stupid.

Still don't get why Luckey would say one thing and then claim another.

Stranya

Oh my god. Yes, it could be faked; no, it wasnt.

Paz

That's fair enough actually, hence the edit.

Also Milo Yia... whatever the fuck it is's post is fairly damning.

Yes, what I posted about them faking it was stupid.

Still don't get why Luckey would say one thing and then claim another.

Why does Donald Trump lie about 80% of the time, and tell half truths the rest of the time? Because even if it gets fact checked the information is already out there, and folks who want to believe will do so regardless of reality.

Your very posts in this thread questioning if TDB faked the emails is a good example of why he would say what he did.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

dLhI74W.jpg

This guy uses people for his own gain.

Add Luckey to the same list of chumps that Dave Rubin is on. Milo pals around with Rubin, but recently used Rubin as an example of an "ashamed liberal" at one of his rallies.

People are so drawn in by his charisma and they're total fucking marks.

So going "This apology isn't enough!" is missing the fact that he isn't trying to apologize to you in the first place.

Not really saying his apology is/isn't enough, more that--whether he realizes it or not--he seems to be sowing the ground for a "mentally incapable" defense in terms of judgment for his actions.

I'm not buying that line, by any stretch of the imagination, I just think it's absolutely hilarious that he recognizes it as the best possible direction to go in. The fact that the "safe" play for an outed Trump supporter is to claim to be a libertarian fills my black heart with warm schadenfreude.

jem0208

Why does Donald Trump lie about 80% of the time, and tell half truths the rest of the time? Because even if it gets fact checked the information is already out there, and folks who want to believe will do so regardless of reality.

Your very posts in this thread questioning if TDB faked the emails is a good example of why he would say what he did.
Trump lies because those lies generally benefit him.

Luckey's lie doesn't seem to benefit him at all.

Bashtee

I really want to see what's going to happen next. If Luckey continues to be the CEO of Oculus - and I highly doubt that -, will someone like John Carmack stick around? Jason Rubin seems to, which is already disappointing.

Trump lies because those lies generally benefit him.

Luckey's lie doesn't seem to benefit him at all.

It benefits him because some people will believe it, or people who are already on his side start making mental gymnastic leaps to believe it, like by suggesting a fairly large media company would fake emails just for clicks.

artsi

I really want to see what's going to happen next. If Luckey continues to be the CEO of Oculus - and I highly doubt that -, will someone like John Carmack stick around? Jason Rubin seems to, which is already disappointing.

He's not the CEO, or in any other managerial / executive position either. He's just an employee with a title of "founder".

Brendan Iribe is the CEO.

jem0208

People believe it, or people who are already on his side start making mental gymnastic leaps to believe it, like by suggesting a fairly large media company would fake emails just for clicks.
I'm not on his side.

I just don't like seeing loads of people bash an individual based off of what I initially perceived to be little evidence*. Regardless of who that individual is.

*Again, I admit it, I had a dumb moment.

IrishNinja

Seems like Milo is on the front lines of every piece of right wing fuckery these days, he must be very pleased with himself.

he wants so desperately to be in the limelight, like martin shrkeli or whatever levels...so yeah, i assume so

it's gotta be a sad existence, though

It's literally benefiting him right now, you are literal proof of that.

Literally.

this, so hard

It doesn't? At the very least it buys him time.

what kills me is someone in here saying occuls are pointing at that mess and calling it PR, that's amazing. i assume they're hoping it'll die down by monday or something.

m00h

Banned
I don't have any reasons to not believe Luckey. I worked together with journalists and news agencies for many years and got a deep insight in their working practices. Manufactured stories is a day-to-day business.

Top Bottom