• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Before voice acting - Or, how the heck do I pronounce that?!

Slaythe

It's funny because all those names ended up sounding as intended by the Japanese, in French.

Except Zidane that was changed into Djidane to avoid confusing people with the soccer player.

People saying tai dus need to go to hell though.
You don't say tai Fa.

mclem

The release of Legion has educated me of the fact that I've been pronouncing "Sargeras" incorrectly all these years.

It's pronounced Ket Shee. It's from Celtic mythology.

Wait, so "Sith" in Cait Sith is actually Sidhe? Is that a mistranslation, or is Sith an alternative for Sidhe?

(Which, I guess in turn is another example for the thread, since when I encountered a Sidhe in Tir Na Nog:

OuNW353.gif

...I pronounced it "sid-hee". But I was educated later when I looked further into celtic myth.

Dali

Leviathan
I'm not sure why this would give anyone trouble, like Shiva. It's a pretty commonly known mythological sea creature. If we are talking about a FF summon just ignore the fact it's in a Japanese game unless you want to pronounce it in Engrish and say it the way it's meant to be said in the west.

The Final Fantasy monster Coeurl. Is it "Co-earl" or "curl?"

The summon Ramuh is "Ra-mah", I hate whenever it's pronounced "Ra-moo."

From Kingdom Hearts, the Organization member Marluxia. When I saw the name in Chain of Memories, I thought it was "Mar-look-see-ya" but in the remake, they called him "Mar-loosh-a," which I'm not a fan of.

I find it weird how they changed Hwoarang's pronunciation in the games. In Tekkens 3-5 the announcer said Hwuah-ren and then in 6 he said How-wrong. I mean how wrong is that?

Kinsei

Banned
The release of Legion has educated me of the fact that I've been pronouncing "Sargeras" incorrectly all these years.

Wait, so "Sith" in Cait Sith is actually Sidhe? Is that a mistranslation, or is Sith an alternative for Sidhe?

(Which, I guess in turn is another example for the thread, since when I encountered a Sidhe in Tir Na Nog:

OuNW353.gif

...I pronounced it "sid-hee". But I was educated later when I looked further into celtic myth.

It's an alternative. Along with Sith and Sidhe there's also Si.

SuperÑ;217993508 said:
Being spanish, Mortal Kombat character Sonya was pronounced as "Son-ya" insted of "Sonia".

These are so similar and implicity understood as identical. This is really just an accent difference, is it not?

Like, my name is Anthony. Lots is Asians and French speakers pronounce it Antony. It's hard to call that a mispronounciation or misunderstanding. It doesn't bother me because what they are saying is just my name in their accent.

It's not like Tidus and Teedus, which is an insane thing for crazy people.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think most people say Pokémon wrong.

If "poke" doesn't rhyme with "okay", you're doing it wrong. That's how it is in Japanese, and they put an accent mark on the E in the international logo and everything.

During the recent media frenzy over Pokémon Go, I heard "Pokeemon" way more than I'd like. You "Po-kuh-mon" people are wrong too, but I'm willing to accept it as an American accent devolution of the real word.

If "poke" doesn't rhyme with "okay", you're doing it wrong. That's how it is in Japanese, and they put an accent mark on the E in the international logo and everything.

During the recent media frenzy over Pokémon Go, I heard "Pokeemon" way more than I'd like. You "Po-kuh-mon" people are wrong too, but I'm willing to accept it as an American accent devolution of the real word.

I hate this too. Poké is not confusing. The accent has meaning. If you know how to read, you should be pronouncing it correctly.

Pokeh, like you said, is acceptable. It's the English pronounciation with the accent ignored. Reasonable.

Pokee is just twisted and wrong.

.JayZii

Banned

The accent is there so that people wouldn't say "poke" (as in, "I got poked with a stick") -mon when it first came out.

"Po-kuh-mon","Pokeemon" and "If 'poke' doesn't rhyme with 'okay', you're doing it wrong" Pokemon are all fine in my book. The Japanese pronunciation comes from a "mispronunciation" of the English word "pocket" in the first place. And let's be honest, if you emphasize the Japanese pronunciation when speaking to English-speaking people, you're going to come off as a bit of a tool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKGoVefhtMQ

Yeah, half of my Final Fantasy playing existence has been a lie.

Tee-dus is the worst, though. Tie-dus all day, everyday. Cait Sith is another one re: the correct pronunciation I hadn't realised until I was older - did they ever call it verbally by name in DoC?

Ornstein and Smough are the two others I've given up pronouncing correctly, specifically Smough. I just call them O&S, or Those Two Gold Fuckheads.

Aeana

Mabinogi (MMO) is centered around Celtic/Irish mythology and the names are so weird to pronounce. The game never got voice acting I think, (haven't played it in years) but sometimes the names come up in other games that do have voice acting.

Stuff like

Tir na nog
Tuatha de Danann
Claíomh Solais (I actually just finally heard this one in Trails of Cold Steel II)

Still not sure how to pronounce most of the stuff from that game.

In Dark Age of Camelot, one of the realms is Hibernia which has tons and tons of Irish mythology and names. Nobody could pronounce anything. Donnchadh. Treibh Caillte. Ceannai. Aoife. Coimirceoir. Gan ceanach. So many places and enemies and NPCs, always wrong.

Mabinogi (MMO) is centered around Celtic/Irish mythology and the names are so weird to pronounce. The game never got voice acting I think, (haven't played it in years) but sometimes the names come up in other games that do have voice acting.

Stuff like

Tir na nog
Tuatha de Danann
Claíomh Solais (I actually just finally heard this one in Trails of Cold Steel II)

Still not sure how to pronounce most of the stuff from that game.
I played a ton of Mabinogi which prompted me to look up a lot of Gaelic pronunciations.
Fun stuff. :p

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The accent is there so that people wouldn't say "poke" (as in, "I got poked with a stick") -mon when it first came out.

"Po-kuh-mon","Pokeemon" and "If 'poke' doesn't rhyme with 'okay', you're doing it wrong" Pokemon are all fine in my book. The Japanese pronunciation comes from a "mispronunciation" of the English word "pocket" in the first place. And let's be honest, if you emphasize the Japanese pronunciation when speaking to English-speaking people, you're going to come off as a bit of a tool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKGoVefhtMQ
Even the Pokémon themesong says "Poke" like "okay".

Face facts,"po-kuh-mon" is a playground bastardization of the name that was adopted en masse by children. It's not really the intended name of the show. But it's close enough that I don't care. If someone says Porsche wrong, we get it, but let's not act like it doesn't have an intended pronunciation.

.JayZii

Banned
Even the Pokémon themesong says "Poke" like "okay".

Face facts,"po-kuh-mon" is a playground bastardization of the name that was adopted en masse by children. It's not really the intended name of the show. But it's close enough that I don't care. If someone says Porsche wrong, we get it, but let's not act like it doesn't have an intended pronunciation.
It has an intended pronunciation, but that doesn't mean it isn't subject to change when in practical use.

Face facts, when said at a conversational pace with an american accent, all three of those pronunciations sound very similar.

Malduke

Neo Member
In Chrono Trigger and FF7, I thought Masamune was pronounced Ma-sah-myun. Then I heard it pronounced in Thousand Arms as Ma-sah-moo-nay.

gun_haver

For Kazin I am thinking it could be:

Ka-zin
Kay-zin
Ka-zeen

We always said Kah-Zin. Just the way it looks, no need for any funny business.

We usually called him Kazzy. Just a little nickname we had for him. Goodl old Kazzy.

Although I definitely pronounced some other characters in my own ways that probably weren't right/usual:

Jaha = Jay-Ha to me

Bowie = Bouw-ey, as opposed to Boh-ey. This is a hard one typical phonetically. Like 'Bow Wow'.

Probably many more. There were a lot of characters in that game.

Forget names, my experience from watching Let's Players on YouTube makes it clear many people just don't know how to pronounce words in general. Replacing one word with a completely different word + adding syllables + emphasizing the wrong syllable + adding or subtracting letters = much screaming at my computer.

I'm not sure why this would give anyone trouble, like Shiva. It's a pretty commonly known mythological sea creature. If we are talking about a FF summon just ignore the fact it's in a Japanese game unless you want to pronounce it in Engrish and say it the way it's meant to be said in the west.

I never actually heard it spoken till maybe 3 or 4 years ago.
Shiva was nothing but i'd seen Leviathan in text hundreds of times but didn't know the pronunciation.

Vex_

Banned
I always thought that Tidus from FFX was pronounced "Tide-us", until I played Kingdom Hearts years later and they said "Tee-dus".

I was soo confused.

Yea, no. No one accepts that shit even though that is his official name. We all still call him "tie-dus". Like "Tide". Get it? That actually makes sense too.

Square is fucking nuts if they think we will call him that. >:C

/mad

I don't understand how people can get so attached to shit like this. Whenever I don't know for sure how something's pronounced, I just choose a pronunciation and consider it provisional. Then later I find out the real one and switch, no big deal.

I called the Deku Tree the Dookoo tree for about a decade, and Saria as Suh rye uh. A lot of these examples seem to be Japanese too, and just because us English speakers don't know how to stick to single vowel sound (like any sane language) doesn't mean it's their fault. Teedus rolls off my tongue just as well as Tiedus.

And I caught the world cup where Zidane hit the guy, so I always knew how to pronounce the FFIX character even though I never played it, lol.

Cocaloch

I just looked up the pronunciation of it.....they can fuck right off with that BS Ket Shee.....it's promounced like its spelled.

Irish has been a language much longer than FF7 has been a game....

Irish has a very old orthography that's pretty different that most European languages so it makes sense that people would have issues with it.
Though outside of diphthongs, which require having heard the word before, it's quite logical.

It's an alternative. Along with Sith and Sidhe there's also Si.

Yeah, Irish was standardized very late compared to most European languages, and the realities of the Galltacht made the various dialects drift further apart than is the norm. Though also Sith is simply the standard Scottish Gaelic form of Shide.

But it's the same "shee"(other) as Banshee (literally woman other) if that helps people.

Khrno

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OnRqbATGOb8

:(

Will never accept. Always "Zi-dayne".

Exactly, and rolls off the tounge. Tee-dus just sounds awkward.

Ewww, wtf

Zidane is weird. I've always called him Zi-dayne, even though I know Zinedine Zidane is pronounced Zi-da(h)n.

Oh no, oh no. Why did I watch that. Zi-dayne always.

LMAO.

I refuse to accept that. It sounds so shitty.

g7d7yHb.gif

I'VE BEEN LIVING A LIE

How ridiculous is all that?

Zidane is as simple as this:

zinedine-zidane-graphic-cover-real-madrid_3395688.jpg

Not sure if it's really pre voice acting, but I read the species name Chao from the sonic games before I heard it pronounced. How the fuck is it not kay-oh as in chaos? How is it chow?

Cocaloch

Welcome to Gaelic, where the name Siobhán is pronounced "Shevon" because reasons

It's not more arbitrary than English or anything. "Sh" is because S is slender since it's next to an "i" (caol le caol agus leathan le leathan) and bh is a v because broad as it's next to an "o" and "a" (caol le caol agus leathan le leathan again). The only confusing thing is the diphthong. Irish is actually more phonetic, when you know it's orthography, than English which makes complaints about it funny.

This one is kind of silly. There's no reason to not pronounce it "Kate Sith" unless you have specific, advanced information about the "correct" pronunciation.
Like, you can't blame people when the name is spelled entirely different form how it's supposed to be said.

It's spelled exactly how it's supposed to be pronounced by people that read Gaelic orthography. It's not like it was spelled that way for shits and giggles.

tonka

Semi-related: RuneScape had no voice acting and a global player base, so everybody read the names of towns differently. There was one town called Ardougne that was a frequent point of contention among players. Ardougne had every variety of pronounciation.

Ar-doon
Ar-dug-nee
Ar-doh-n

Eventually the developers decided to weigh in on how various towns were pronounced. Rather than clear things up, it threw players into a frenzy.

Ardougne was apparently pronounced "Ar-doyn." Nobody on earth pronounced it that way and people were defensive.

But, worse, one of the most central towns of the game was a town called Varrock, unanimously pronounced as Vuh-rock. The devs said it was pronounced Vair-ock.

And if that wasn't bad enough, they also said the town of Falador, ubiquitously pronounced as Fal-a-dor, was really pronounced Fay-la-dor.

It was cataclysmic.

Maybe it's my experience with Irish and other Celtic place names and a little bit of French, but before looking at the options given for Ardougne, I said Ar-doyn aloud

Then proceeded to laugh at being correct

FFX bothers me because I only knew Tidus' name was pronounced Tee-Dus from playing Kingdom Hearts, even though most of the game was voiced and I knew everyone else's names. I know, you can rename him to whatever you want, but I would have taken people actually saying his name over people mentioning him as "him, you, etc."

My friends didn't agree with me even though they played KH as well. Tie-Dus sounds like it should be how you pronounce it since it's Titus is a pretty normal name, but Square gonna Square and Nomura gonna Nomura. I remember plenty of schoolyard arguments about it though.

Sucks that Persona 5 seems to be the same way as this bothered me with P3/P4 as well.

Top Bottom