• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When Will Game Discs Go The Way of The CD?

Reselling is a huge with gaming. Losing resellling rights actually hurts the industry. This is how Gamestop survives.

This also. As much as third parties bitch about reselling and used games, Gamestop disappearing overnight is absolutely not a thing anyone wants.

I still like my physical games, thank you very much. It's called options. Besides, we aren't even close to where we can just download games in a snap with data caps, limited internet usage in some areas and the fact that used sales are need to inspire new sales for games. So yeah, you may not like physical games but I'm pretty sure there are millions that would disagree.

When Internet caps are illegal and everyone has at least 50mbps Internet. And when Sony finally fixes its slow download shit on PSN.

On PS4 popping in the disc and installing the game for the first time saves me several hours of waiting.

Rellik

It's already dead to me. I have fast Internet with no throttling or cap and I just use a US account on consoles to get cheaper than UK physical prices. On PC, digital is king so I don't need to use a foreign store.

Sadly, a lot of the world isn't set up like me and require physical and the option should always be there.

Poona

But you can still buy CDs.

Yeah, I only buy music on CD. Like to have things to hold, plus all the artwork, liner notes, lyrics, etc. If I want the music on my phone or whatever I'll just rip it.

Then there's this new fashion of putting music on vinyl again, and that pre-dates cd and even cassette.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
they will disappear when manufacturers decide it's no longer profitable to make them, not when you decide you don't like them. and as people have pointed out, cds are still around. pretending they don't exist anymore doesn't actually make it so.

personally, i buy retail games because i like to own them, not because i can get them cheaper or because i can sell them once i'm done. i'm not a 'collector' either. i simply like to own copies of things which i particularly enjoy. it's the same with music and movies and books. having a shelf full of good books is a lot more rewarding than a kindle. when you have a hobby you care about, space and organization are minor inconveniences.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Probably start really trending that way in 5 years or so. Discs will be around, but diminished in sales and floor space in stores like CDs, and even movies now. I was shocked at how small the music/movie combined section in the new Best Buy (moved locations) nearest me was compared to the old one, and how it was way off in a corner of the store.

Anth0ny

when we can download a game as fast as we download an album off itunes

when the amount of space a game takes up relative to total space is as minuscule as the amount of space downloading an album takes relative to total space

when data caps accommodate for lots of 50GB+ downloads a month

so probably not for a long time?

If the CD pretty much died, than why is there still a huge section dedicated to CDs in practically ever major electronics store (not even including just Music stores)
CDs aren't dead but they aren't even close to what they used to be ten years ago. The trend of physical vs digital music is skewing more towards digital everyday. There's a reason so many stores embraced the vinyl resurgence.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Having a collection of PS1 cds is the comfiest feeling ever.

It's like having a fireplace. Can't wait to get started on PS2.

Theonik

When digital in consoles manages to subvert physical in the same way iTunes did or to a lesser extent steam. Not many people would buy a £55 digital game that sells for less than £45 retail to get on their 10mbps broadband.

Also, while digital has a usability advantage over physical, consumers attach more value into things they can hold.

Discs will go away when people stop buying them. It's that simple, and it's going to take a very long time for that to occur. I'm 36, and don't plan on going digital any time soon. I'm guessing it'll be reality when I hit 50.

Razlo

Loving supporting Limited Run Games for bucking the trend. Really dreading future platforms where I have no control over my library because it's all digital.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
Not for a loooonngg time. PS5 and Xbox 10(?) will have a disc drive.

Digital downloads on consoles are too expensive, too massive and gift purchases are huge part of sales.

Also I believe stuff gets removed from the console stores?

ArjanN

Honestly I'm often surprised how many people here still care about physical media.

I realize that's partially because I'm mostly a PC gamer and have really fast internet, but for someone in my position the "digital future" happened like years ago already.

Inorganic

Digital game prices on consoles simply cannot compete with prices from Bestbuy GCU, let alone Steam. I can also resell/trade games I'm done with or don't like to keep. I don't care if I have to install a game, download patches, or get up and swap discs. I am always saving money buying physically.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Honestly I'm often surprised how many people here still care about physical media.

I realize that's partially because I'm mostly a PC gamer and have really fast internet, but for someone in my position the "digital future" happened like years ago already.

believe it or not, its the proliferation of steam that made me less interested in the pc platform than i ever was in the past. getting big, colorful boxes and thick, printed manuals and maps in a new game was a huge part of the appeal.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I can hold tens of thousands of songs on my hard drive and access every one of them instantly.

Unlike songs, games aren't usually things that are consumed in a couple of minutes on a whim. People like having bigger media like that in a proper library. Hell, people who are really into music and listen to albums at a time still like to buy CDs too. Like paper books, the market's not going anywhere.

Why? They're a terrible company. The sooner they crash out the better

Physical game discs are still about 70% of the market.

Gamestop is responsible for a LOT of these sales- that company has 6,547 locations, 4400 of which are in the US.

To put that number in perspective, this is about as many physical locations as Wendy's.

Their reach is absolutely huge, which is critical when we consider that malls are dead and best buy has been on life support for years.

if gamestop goes tits up the entire industry takes a tremendous hit since there is no other way to reach those customers- and no, digital distribution isn't going to do it.

Keep in mind that as shady as they are, Gamestop puts a LOT of effort into pushing preorders, accessories, and strategy guides- and gameinformer is pretty much the last relevant print magazine that exists. It's a huge promotional outlet that reliably hits casual fans that don't live on Neogaf.

King_Moc

Banned
Digital game prices on consoles simply cannot compete with prices from Bestbuy GCU, let alone Steam. I can also resell/trade games I'm done with or don't like to keep. I don't care if I have to install a game, download patches, or get up and swap discs. I am always saving money buying physically.

They can, the costs are lower. They've just decided they don't want to.

AHA-Lambda

Retail is really fucking up progress.

Progress??

giphy.gif

Verendus

Banned
Let me paint you a scenario.

It's night. You're in bed, fresh off a shower, and ready to sleep. You feel yourself dozing off. You're jolted awake at the sound of footsteps heading up the stairs. Something is clearly wrong because the wife and kids are away for the weekend. You're afraid, but fortunately you're in reach of a PS4 game cover, inside of which is a blu-ray disc. No sooner does the thief invading your house open your bedroom door, you throw that disc like a well trained ninja and it hits a critical point in the home invader's neck.

He falls to the ground. You're safe, and sound. You can call the police, and later inform your wife of your heroics. It's a nice story.

Now imagine you had no game disc. The home invader enters your room, and all you can do is throw air at him. Because that's what you have without a game disc. Your "attack" doesn't work. That thief then beats the shit out of you, strangles you with your own penis since you're a GAFfer and it's big enough, and then throws you out of the bedroom window. While he scours the house for your valuables, you lay on your lawn like the little lamb who thought he knew better before the wolf made him fucking dead.

So how about you start appreciating the versatility of the physical game disc?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Let me paint you a scenario.

It's night. You're in bed, fresh off a shower, and ready to sleep. You feel yourself dozing off. You're jolted awake at the sound of footsteps heading up the stairs. Something is clearly wrong because the wife and kids are away for the weekend. You're afraid, but fortunately you're in reach of a PS4 game cover, inside of which is a blu-ray disc. No sooner does the thief invading your house open your bedroom door, you throw that disc like a well trained ninja and it hits a critical point in the home invader's neck.

He falls to the ground. You're safe, and sound. You can call the police, and later inform your wife of your heroics. It's a nice story.

Now imagine you had no game disc. The home invader enters your room, and all you can do is throw air at him. Because that's what you have without a game disc. Your "attack" doesn't work. That thief then beats the shit out of you, strangles you with your own penis since you're a GAFfer and it's big enough, and then throws you out of the bedroom window. While he scours the house for your valuables, you lay on your lawn like the little lamb who thought he knew better before the wolf made him fucking dead.

So how about you start appreciating the versatility of the physical game disc?

/dead. Literally

Nanashrew

Banned
Not for a loooonngg time. PS5 and Xbox 10(?) will have a disc drive.

Digital downloads on consoles are too expensive, too massive and gift purchases are huge part of sales.

Also I believe stuff gets removed from the console stores?

Something I think will always be a plus in my book for physical is that licensed games or games in general that may use licenses will remain widely available for people to purchase. Digital however, when a license expires it can sometimes mean store removal. Take the Outrun and Afterburner games that came out on PS3 or Scott Pilgrim. Those are not purchasable anymore, and I missed out on Scott Pilgrim and Outrun.

I don't understand this kind of logic OP. If you like things being digital, good for you! But why would want a perfectly reasonable storage medium that a lot of people love to just go away? Why would you want less options when buying your shit?

How long does it take to download 40GB?
How many 40GB games can I fit on a 1TB SSHD?

I understand the convenience part but as long as growth in install sizes outstrips increases in download speed and HDD sizes then sorry bud. Discs are here to stay.

Limited physical releases is probably my biggest problem with PC gaming.

Old physical games are art, especially back when they came with good instruction booklets, and that art is mostly lost on PC.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Some good points bought up about games sizes getting bigger.

And with iTunes and other similar services you can buy the album in pieces.

Which makes me think about games like the recent Hitman. Now if more games take an episode approach....you may have a point OP.

Top Bottom