• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gary Johnson could not name his favorite foreign leader

Status
Not open for further replies.
They ended with Angela Merkel. That was Weld offering it up.

Honestly, there's no excuse here.

What is Merkels appeal to libertarians?

I would've liked to hear what exactly it is about her they like, because as far as I can tell everything she does and stands for is the exact opposite of what Libertarians would want.

CazTGG

I'm voting for a major party candidate as a protest vote against this year's third-party candidates. Next time give us some better candidates to vote for.

Neither the Greens nor the Libertarians fielded a credible alternative this year.

Perfect.

Given the mention of the "former Mexican president", I assume he could have named a former leader of a country. Could he not be bothered to, you know, name an American president? Even if he doesn't actually admire them, there's no shortage of those to give as an answer that wouldn't make him look so uninformed and unfit to be one of those world leaders.

PInk Tape

Banned
Someone in poligaf said it best when they said they wouldn't trust Johnson to manage a fuckin' Applebees.

I don't think he could manage to get himself out of a box at this point.

I will be honest, is there a safe foreign leader you can name? Besides maybe Nelson Mandela?

Yes but that's besides the point.

He needs to be aware and know this stuff if he wants to be taken seriously as a presidential candidate. If he even can be after this and Aleppogate.

giphy.gif

What is Merkels appeal to libertarians?

I would've liked to hear what exactly it is about her they like, because as far as I can tell everything she does and stands for is the exact opposite of what Libertarians would want.
Weld isn't really much of a Libertarian, more of a liberal republican.

There are no Libertarian world leaders so I'm not really surprised Johnson had trouble finding one to name as his favorite. He is weak on his feet though, he should have dismissed the question gracefully.

Safe in what sense? As a Democrat, I can list some, but I know these wouldn't work for Gary Johnson.

Trudeau

How can you name some one just been country leader for barely 2 year as your favorite?

Lagarde
Draghi
Kuroda

WTF at these money men. If he can answer with bank manager as "leader" he might as well answer Alan Greenspan. At lease Greenspan is an Ayn Rand fan.

giga

How can you name some one just been country leader for barely 2 year as your favorite?

WTF at these money men. If he can answer with bank manager as "leader" he might as well answer Alan Greenspan. At lease Greenspan is an Ayn Rand fan.
Why not? He's been pretty effective for two years.

Lagarde isn't a man. And bank manager? The ECB and IMF are some of the most consequential institutions influencing economic policy today. They have been a significant force in addressing and shaping the eurozone crisis. I don't know how anyone could say they're not leaders, considering how that crisis has come to dominate much of European politics and policy for the past several years.

If Greenspan were still chairman, I could see that as a valid answer if the question was posed to a foreign presidential candidate. Fed chairs are very much leaders in economic policy and influence both domestic and foreign economies.

Estonia's done some libertarian ish things. Chile has a right leaning President. Singapore is doing Singapore things that libertarians who admit we need a welfare state like.

Now, I don't know the names off the top of my head, but I'm not freakin' running for President.

Hopefully, someone running to become President of the United States, thus being in charge or our foreign policy.

I weep for our nation that no one has any damn standards for President of the United States.

"But he's not a politician! He's not supposed to know any of that stuff!"

The video is full of cringe lol. Arguably I think Clinton would have debated more circles around Johnson than Trump. Johnson would have drawn many blanks and look like he knows nothing. At least Trump pretends to know what he's talking about.

I will be honest, is there a safe foreign leader you can name? Besides maybe Nelson Mandela?
Hmm, what's the Libertarian stance on Israel-relations? I'm not familiar. Regardless, Netanyahu would probably be the safe choice because most people either love Israel or don't care and those who hate Bibi and can't stand the guy are unfortunately very much in the minority, so yeah. That's what comes to mind as the obvious answer to me.

lupinko

The guy you quoted could also be talking about the elder Trudeau, the current Canadian PM's father. /shrugs

Anyway in his first 10 months he's done a lot to get rid of that crap Harper put us through for a decade.

GutsOfThor

Stupid story but when I was in middle school, Johnson was governor of New Mexico and he came to visit once during an assembly. The whole school gathered in the gym and when the principal announced him all the kids started booing. I've always felt sorry for him because of that. He looked so crushed....

impirius

Stupid story but when I was in middle school, Johnson was governor of New Mexico and he came to visit once during an assembly. The whole school gathered in the gym and when the principal announced him all the kids started booing. I've always felt sorry for him because of that. He looked so crushed....
Now we know what he was flashing back to during this question. I hope you're happy, you monsters. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom