• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 AFL Grand Final - Sydney Swans vs. Western Bulldogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

90IsFe7.png

Saturday October 1st
Sydney Swans vs. Western Bulldogs @ The MCG

Grand Final Teams

wLx4coB.png

IZOa7lXm.jpg
VF7w3le.jpg
i6g993Jm.jpg

i3SkYnf.jpg

Australian viewers
Live, Free and in HD on 7HD

International viewers
http://m.afl.com.au/tv-radio/international-broadcast-partners
http://watchafl.afl.com.au

The Grand Final parade was packed with Bulldogs fans.

The doggies are going to have membership numbers explode next season.

EDIT: Fox Footy cant show the game live because of the Anti syphoning laws. but still do pre-game, half time and post game stuff. So everyone is forced to watch the bullshit ads from 7.

jambo

EDIT: Fox Footy cant show the game live because of the Anti syphoning laws. but still do pre-game, half time and post game stuff. So everyone is forced to watch the bullshit ads from 7.

I always forget about that.

As long as it's on BOTH it shouldn't matter if Foxtel can play it live.

I always forget about that.

As long as it's on BOTH it shouldn't matter if Foxtel can play it live.

I think its 7 that dont let the AFL sell that in the broadcasting rights because of the lost ad money. Its bullshit. Grand Final day is the only time i watch FTA anymore.

Last few years i have switched to Fox for pre-game, half time and post game to avoid the knobs on 7.

Hope its a good game and the Doggies can win.

When I was in college there was a guy from Sydney who made us watch the Swans play in the championship game. We were surprised to find out that they use the Notre Dame fight song.

I think I have a Sydney Swans hat somewhere from when my Dad used to go there for business.

jambo

Hoping for a Doggies win, would be awesome for them to get both the VFL and AFL grand finals within a week of each other.

bomma_man

Picked a terrible GF to be overseas for, but i'all be watching. Even apart from the dog's history it's insane that a team got in the grand final from seventh. It's been a pretty great year.

farmerboy

Go Dogs.

As a Collingwood supporter I've had a ball watching the Dogs play this September. They've played tremendously well. Here's hoping they've got one more in them.

oipic

If the footy gods have any sense of theatre, or compassion toward the very patient and success-starved Doggies fans, then they'll do the right thing and let the Western Bulldogs have their time. Would love to see them get up, with all due respect to the Sydney fans among us. This year has shaped up as a bit of a fairytale journey though, so you never know - no shortage of will or belief among the Dogs - 'why not us?', indeed.

Something like Sydney's best football would I think be enough to get them up, however - so many finals-hardened contested-ball winning monsters around the footy, it's a tough gig to keep them all contained.

What a great match up, should be a terrific contest - haven't looked forward to the actual game of footy on grand final day as much as this for several years.

Woohoo, Prime are simulcasting on 7mate so HD for me! Also, get your HD shit together Prime.

Swannies to squeeze the life out of the game and win by 4-5 goals.

Go The Bloods!

Was at the parade today, lots of doggies supporters, glad they made it to the final but I hope they are witches hats for us on the day. I cant even finish my work because of this. Too distracted.

To all the COLA haters, try living in Bondi, you probably would want a COLA yourself. I moved to Melbourne and it is cheap compared to Sydney (but more expensive that most places on earth) but COLA willbe axed next year. Which is good because a rent subsidy is probably better seeing that 10% cola was pretty shit in the first place. need 25% rent subsidy instead of a shitty 10% COLA.

buddy to kick a bag

JPK 20+ contested posessions

Tom Papley first goal.

fisheyes

Want the Bulldogs to win, but don't think they'll be able to pull it off. In fact I reckon it might just be a bloodbath :/

Sydney by 71
Norm Smith: Josh Kennedy
First Goal: Luke Parker

AxeMan

To all the COLA haters, try living in Bondi, you probably would want a COLA yourself. I moved to Melbourne and it is cheap compared to Sydney (but more expensive that most places on earth) but COLA willbe axed next year. Which is good because a rent subsidy is probably better seeing that 10% cola was pretty shit in the first place. need 25% rent subsidy instead of a shitty 10% COLA.

I don't want to derail the purpose of this thread but that COLA argument is spurious

AxeMan

Carlton might finally win something.

Gibbs leading the Fox Footy longest kick comp over the Yarra after the first round, only 1 kick each left.

EDIT: Yep Gibbs won with a kick of 72.3m

legend166

Like it was for the Swans in 2005?

I don't ever remember anyone opening a show saying "Here's the premiership cup, and let's hope by this time tomorrow the Bulldogs are holding this up!" like Andy Maher did yesterday.

Sure, we were the sentimental favourites in 05, but the Bulldogs have taken it to a new level considering they're the Victorian team in a Victorian dominated media

I don't ever remember anyone opening a show saying "Here's the premiership cup, and let's hope by this time tomorrow the Bulldogs are holding this up!" like Andy Maher did yesterday.

Sure, we were the sentimental favourites in 05, but the Bulldogs have taken it to a new level considering they're the Victorian team in a Victorian dominated media

People want the bulldogs to win because its such a good story, from being a bottom feeding team a few years ago, having players walk away, other players turn lives around, and the Turnaround since Beveridge took over. Injuries to the heart of the club players like Murphy this season.

People are also sick of the same 3 teams [Swans, Hawks and Cats] at the top every season.

If GWS won lastweek i think most would of jumped on them. i know i would of.

Wishing my bro Rezbit all the best today for the Swannies but I'm still cheering on the Doggies. Hopefully it's a ripper game.

dejay

Banned
Most football clubs songs are sung to the tune of an existing song

Hawthorn - Yankee Doodle Dandy
Fitzroy / Brisbane - French National Anthem
Melbourne - Auld Lang Syne

and on and on

Edit - did a bit of googling and found this on wiki (all disclaimers apply)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_Football_League_team_songs

"The Pride of South Australia" "US Marines' Hymn"

This is literally the very next tune I have to learn from my piano method book. I read this thread an hour ago, played some piano and turned the page and there it was.

Could have been worse I guess...it could have been the Port Adelaide song.

Yagharek

Confirmation bias. Sydney were sentimental favourites in 96, 99, 05, 11 and probably not in 12.

Bulldogs haven't even been in a GF since 1961 whereas the next least successful team St Kilda have been in at least 5 or 6.

Ignoring the victorian supposed bias, a lot of people wanted Fremantle to win too back in 2014 or whenever. Its a mix of respect for authenticity (Sydney have built this since the South Melbourne move) which teams like GCS and GWS don't have. It's also proportional to when success last met which is why WCE aren't looked on as fondly as Fremantle and Brisbane everyone got sick of after 2002 except they had to stop Collingwood.

I dont think you would ever see anyone aside from the losers resent a hypothetical flag for Fremantle, Footscray or St Kilda.

Melbourne and Ninthmond can get fucked though.

Westlo

Go doggies.

Just woke up now to quickly find a bar in makati showing this, hopefully i catch all the second half

I don't want to derail the purpose of this thread but that COLA argument is spurious

We need more money to pay players extra because of the living conditions.

*offers tom mitchell a pay cut*

jey_16

Banned
well atleast Sydney isn't running away with it but i think they will explode soon....Doggies just don't have the forward threats

DeSo

Banned
What a dreadful quarter from the Dogs. Good thing is I don't think they can play worse than in that quarter and the goal on halftime was a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom