• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2016 |OT| Essendon moving to Egpyt, to be closer to supporter base

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought myself a new footy. Love that leather smell but it was 160 clams - whats up with that!
Sherrin getting a good cut I hope
You bought the one made in Australia? I bought one a while ago but then realised it was made in India. I thought I was getting a deal at $90.

AxeMan

You bought the one made in Australia? I bought one a while ago but then realised it was made in India. I thought I was getting a deal at $90.

Yeah. I got the traditional (proper) red one. Made in Australia. Didn't realise Sherrin had outsourced some of their balls to India.

Next time you watch a game of AFL, keep an eye on the crowd and see how many minorities you can see. Barely any and definitely not a good representation of the community as a whole. Its the last bastion of the white Australia.

The main reason is, I believe, minorities don't feel welcome in attending matches due to possibility of being the subject of racism. When I told my brothers this (who are white) as the reason I dont go to the footy with them, they have pretty much stopped going too.

The only good thing about this incident is it seems that Port are doing the right thing in banning the culprit from next year, min, and want her to speak to the team's indigenous players on why she did it. They said that depending on her motivation, she may be banned for life, which is the right thing to do IMO.

bomma_man

A man claiming to be the father of the banana-throwing Port Adelaide member in the middle of an AFL racism storm denies his daughter had racist intent and that she is being “demonised” by a sensationalist media.

On Saturday night, the fan threw a banana towards Indigenous Adelaide star Eddie Betts, an act condemned by the AFL as “clearly an unambiguous racist act”.

On Sunday, Port Adelaide completed an investigation into the matter which concluded it was racially motivated. But a man calling into Adelaide radio station FiveAA on Monday morning said his daughter had been unfairly targeted.

“Unless my daughter was on drugs overnight, no way in the world,” the man who identified himself as “Don” said. “The thing that irritates me the most is that we’re playing the racist card here. It was more an act of frustration than a racist act where she’s thrown a banana.

“You’re playing the racist game. I’m not condoning what she’s done. This is called media rubbish. Why do you people sensationalise things?”

sure jan

Next time you watch a game of AFL, keep an eye on the crowd and see how many minorities you can see. Barely any and definitely not a good representation of the community as a whole. Its the last bastion of the white Australia.

The main reason is, I believe, minorities don't feel welcome in attending matches due to possibility of being the subject of racism. When I told my brothers this (who are white) as the reason I dont go to the footy with them, they have pretty much stopped going too.

The only good thing about this incident is it seems that Port are doing the right thing in banning the culprit from next year, min, and want her to speak to the team's indigenous players on why she did it. They said that depending on her motivation, she may be banned for life, which is the right thing to do IMO.

She should be banned for throwing an object at players, any player. If it was deliberate to an indigenous player then she should be made an example of with harsh penalties and clearly the sport/club is handling things admirably.

You want change to the racial appearance of the game? It starts with you and your family getting involved. Go to games, join a league or get your kids involved in Auskick etc. As for the majority percentage (I agree by a large margin) the footy crowd attending games are quite welcoming IMO. When you catch a train, tram or park your car and walk everyone is getting along great and there is often a buzz in the air all contribute too. Sure there are a few dickheads but that's present in any sport, event or gathering of crowds etc.

You know why whites are in AFL more? Whites and Europeans are the ones taking their kids to Auskick, weekend competition, mid week training and generally kicking the footy with their kids at BBQ or in the backyard. You know fostering a love of the sport and it has very little to do with racism whatsoever. Don't confuse the actions of this incident with the wider community.

I've been to a number of Auskick locations, been an assistant volunteer coach and taken my son with friends to games etc. I/we also attend Richmond family days etc. Just because more whites play or enjoy the game and nurture the community doesn't equate to racism excluding anyone. Also if you break down your generalisation of whites you'll see more than just "white Aussies" going to the game in the crowd.

Aside from that weekend incident and the deplorable racist remarks from a select few that crop up can we just drop the immediate jump to racism for everything already? Any are welcome at Auskick or senior/local footy or in the AFL crowds, it's an open community for anyone that chooses to sign up or buy a ticket and make themselves a part of it. For everyone 1 racist dickhead there is 100s ready to counter that. You can see it in the crowds or on the trains or at training etc.

Also take a look at the attendance increases over the last 30 years, it's about doubled in annual attendance but only increased the avg per game from approx. 25,000 to 32,000. More racists going to the more games per year ya reckon? I'm just kidding on that last part mate, it points to healthy growth and diversity in crowds more than ever I think.

http://afltables.com/afl/crowds/summary.html

Omikron

That's a post. Starts out well, but progresses down a tunnel of blaming others and sweeping stuff under the carpet and I am not sure how crowd numbers are relevant to any of the points.

That's a post. Starts out well, but progresses down a tunnel of blaming others and sweeping stuff under the carpet and I am not sure how crowd numbers are relevant to any of the points.

Blaming others? More like aiming to get them involved, change is easiest and most effective from within. Start there, get kids involved and the system itself changes with the generations.

Why did that go down a tunnel exactly?

Omikron

All the ethnics are too busy rioting at sokkah matches to get to an AFL match or AusKick.

AFL have their tokenistic 'rounds'. They are putting in serious work at addressing concerns in the community.

Blaming others? More like aiming to get them involved, change is easiest and most effective from within. Start there, get kids involved and the system itself changes with the generations.

Why did that go down a tunnel exactly?

Just re-read what you just wrote?

Just re-read what you just wrote?

Sure, just did.

Where did I blame others? Quote me.

What did I sweep under the rug exactly?

Crowd numbers are relevant because AFL has gone from 300,000 annual attendance to 600,000 annual attendance in Victoria alone in 30 years. Is that all just white Aussies is it? No, the facts show a larger and more diverse crowd than decades past. When I post in response to chicko1983 saying they don't attend for a fear of a possible racist incident I'd rather encourage them to go to the game than stay at home. There's plenty more "good people" in the crowd that would stick up for them. Perhaps my tone comes across poorly or I've approached that idea the wrong way.

It's a great team sport that takes skill, teamwork and has a healthy community spirit for the overwhelming majority. It's bloody enjoyable to go for lunch or drink before the game, it's enjoyable to kick the footy with your kids and their friends and it's a damned near right of passage to take a family to the game. I wouldn't want chicko1983 to miss out on that because of some idiot, potentially a racist, who threw one banana.

I make further down "tunnel" comments from personal observations about facts, not opinions or subjectivity, about which races attend games and grow the sport from within. I'd like to see more families and diversity of personalities/races getting involved. Hell most of the parents don't even get on the ground and get involved with their kids or coaches.

Omikron

Sure, just did.

A couple quotes.

You want change to the racial appearance of the game? It starts with you and your family getting involved.

You know why whites are in AFL more? Whites and Europeans are the ones taking their kids to Auskick

--------

And a few more.

Aside from that weekend incident and the deplorable racist remarks from a select few that crop up can we just drop the immediate jump to racism for everything already?

For everyone 1 racist dickhead there is 100s ready to counter that

-------

Crowd numbers are relevant because AFL has gone from 300,000 annual attendance to 600,000 annual attendance in Victoria alone in 30 years. Is that all just white Aussies is it? No, the facts show a larger and more diverse crowd than decades past. When I post in response to chicko1983 saying they don't attend for a fear of a possible racist incident I'd rather encourage them to go to the game than stay at home. There's plenty more "good people" in the crowd that would stick up for them. Perhaps my tone comes across poorly or I've approached that idea the wrong way.

Crowd numbers just aren't important to the argument. The number of racially motivated incidents in the last few years has been on the rise. This in my opinion is directly related to the inaction of the AFL. They refused to adequately admonish the likes of Eddie McGuire, Sam Newman etc which has resulted in a continued upswell in the rate of incidents you see.

This is despite having a very, very compliant media contingent, especially in Melbourne.

If you want me to link some incidents, happy to do so, but I think even you would admit post Adam Goodes, the above would be hard to argue against.

Actually, I don't think you would believe me, so here is even a handy wikipedia list for you, note the 2011+ items. That's not just a small number. And certainly only the very public ones.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_sport_in_Australia#Australian_football_League

It's a great team sport that takes skill, teamwork and has a healthy community spirit. It's bloody enjoyable to go for lunch or drink before the game, it's enjoyable to kick the footy with your kids and their friends and it's a damned near right of passage to take a family to the game.

I wouldn't want chicko1983 to miss out on that because of some idiot, potentially a racist, who throw one banana.

The above isn't limited to AFL though. I would argue that match day experiences in other sports trumps what I have experienced in going to an AFL match. Easily so.

And I think clubs/afl have acknowledged this, with their pretty terrible attempts at promoting 'active' support.

A couple quotes.

Ozzy Onya A2Z said:

You want change to the racial appearance of the game? It starts with you and your family getting involved.

You know why whites are in AFL more? Whites and Europeans are the ones taking their kids to Auskick...snip

I'm not blaming anyone here and they're the same observations. You're not changing anything long term by not being involved. These statements blame no one but provide an avenue for change. Why you think that lays blame at someone is beyond me. Currently the sport is more "white", more races getting involved in all facets of the game changes that from within.

--------

Ozzy Onya A2Z said:

Aside from that weekend incident and the deplorable racist remarks from a select few that crop up can we just drop the immediate jump to racism for everything already?

For everyone 1 racist dickhead there is 100s ready to counter that

I understand your interpretation here but again I feel you're reading into it too far to say I'm sweeping things under the rug. The father of the woman is literally saying she's not racist and just threw a banana out of frustration, as in it wasn't aimed directly at an indigenous player. Do I believe that? I haven't decided yet but at least the club is handling things well and already making comments for both potential outcomes. I'm just tired of the racist card always coming into play automatically by default and being the lead argument. If this woman is a racist the club is already handling that aspect very well, which in the wider sense shows the sport is maturing and willing to change ways of old.

Literally look at my point of view being dismissed by you.

-------

Crowd numbers just aren't important to the argument. The number of racially motivated incidents in the last few years has been on the rise. This in my opinion is directly related to the inaction of the AFL. They refused to adequately admonish the likes of Eddie McGuire, Sam Newman etc which has resulted in a continued upswell in the rate of incidents you see.

This is despite having a very, very compliant media contingent, especially in Melbourne.

The above isn't limited to AFL though. I would argue that match day experiences in other sports trumps what I have experienced in going to an AFL match. Easily so.

And I think clubs/afl have acknowledged this, with their pretty terrible attempts at promoting 'active' support.

Racist incidents aren't on the rise, you're reading that metric way out of context. Take racial sledging over the last 30 years for example, you're just hearing reports more. The actual incidents are way down by historical comparison.

As for media and the AFL heads I agree diversity there would be a good thing.

I don't agree the media have been complacent to the AFL heads though, they ran the Goodes story from all sides for a long time in Victoria.

As for other sports, sure they have their highs but they also have their lows just like the AFL too. Soccer is racially worse IMO. Tennis is far better events/racially wise. But hey we're in an AFL thread :)

legend166

If we can't "play the racist card" when someone throws a banana at a black player and simultaneously calls him a monkey, when exactly can we play it?

This it what I find so annoying about the anti-PC brigade. Has there been a general increase in political correctness and outage culture stifling free speech in the community? Yeah, I think there has been. There's been some good articles written by smart people outlining how academic political correctness filters down to regular society.

Is this (along with 95% of the other examples) an issue of "political correctness gone mad"? Heck no.

She threw a banana at a black player and called him a monkey. It's basically the most cut and dry instance of racism you could ask for in 2016.

jambo

N4dMs5S.png

Friday August 26th
Adelaide vs. West Coast@ Adelaide Oval

Saturday August 27th
Geelong vs. Melbourne @ Simonds Stadium
Essendon vs. Carlton @ The MCG
Sydney vs. Richmond @ The SCG
Gold Coast vs. Port Adelaide @ Metricon Stadium
North Melbourne vs. Greater Western Sydney @ Etihad Stadium

Sunday August 14th
St Kilda vs. Brisbane @ Etihad Stadium
Hawthorn vs. Collingwood @ The MCG
Fremantle vs. Western Bulldogs @ Domain Stadium

Round 23 Teams

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
hahah we're probably going to get off the bottom. poor brisbane.

Yel this is pretty funny lol.

Is our lercentage above them if we were to win now? Or still a bit below?

Found a live ladder. Were exactly equal on percentage with current gap

bomma_man

and presumably brisbane will lose by a bit, knocking down their percentage. I mean, St Kilda's only chance to get in the finals is to win by 300 points so.

bomma_man

normally I'd encourage tanking but (1) it'd be hilarious given the context, (2) the draft is meant to be pretty even - no standout no 1s and (3) I don't want to break that 80+ year old streak.

Yagharek

If we can't "play the racist card" when someone throws a banana at a black player and simultaneously calls him a monkey, when exactly can we play it?

This it what I find so annoying about the anti-PC brigade. Has there been a general increase in political correctness and outage culture stifling free speech in the community? Yeah, I think there has been. There's been some good articles written by smart people outlining how academic political correctness filters down to regular society.

Is this (along with 95% of the other examples) an issue of "political correctness gone mad"? Heck no.

She threw a banana at a black player and called him a monkey. It's basically the most cut and dry instance of racism you could ask for in 2016.

The biggest difference between now and the 90s era racism is that people get called out for being racists more often. It should have been stamped out back when Long and Winmar were either pointing to their skin colour or taking it up to racists.

Things have improved, but there is a stubornness to racism that continues regardless. Not just in AFL, mind you. But its a great place to see it on public display along with all the apologists. Eddie McGuire is probably the best example. He ticks every single "ism" box when it comes to being a bigot.

Also, LOL CARLTON

AxeMan

Just looked at the ladder.
We'll either finish 3rd and play Geelong or 7th and play Footscray. I'm not too fussed either

long post

I played football at junior SANFL level. Then 6 years at amateur club football level. I am adopted, and my family is white Australian (hence why I played football growing up). I have been given racist remarks three times on the ground where the opposition player was sent off, but plenty of other times which went unheard by anyone else.

I had crows members tickets for the first 20 years of the club. Been to more games than most. And as I have gotten older, and probably more aware of racism (when I was younger I never considered myself dark skinned as I only hung out with family and school mates, not really exposed to the wider community), I realise AFL crowds are still racist and honestly I dont have a good time at the football anymore. I prefer to watch it with friends at a bar or someones backyard.

If you want to see a diverse crowd, go to an a-league game. You realise how diverse the community has gotten at Adelaide United games at least (I have only been to one interstate a-league game).

As I said, have a look around you next time you are at the footy - barely any minorities are there watching the game. Mainly because it only takes 1 in 100 people to make you feel unwelcome.

As long as minorities feel unwelcome, the sport will remain predominately white.

As an Adelaide supporter, this is the worst possible result.

Yep, lucky we get a home final. But double chance lost is disappointing.

I played football at junior SANFL level. Then 6 years at amateur club football level. I am adopted, and my family is white Australian (hence why I played football growing up). I have been given racist remarks three times on the ground where the opposition player was sent off, but plenty of other times which went unheard by anyone else.

I had crows members tickets for the first 20 years of the club. Been to more games than most. And as I have gotten older, and probably more aware of racism (when I was younger I never considered myself dark skinned as I only hung out with family and school mates, not really exposed to the wider community), I realise AFL crowds are still racist and honestly I dont have a good time at the football anymore. I prefer to watch it with friends at a bar or someones backyard.

If you want to see a diverse crowd, go to an a-league game. You realise how diverse the community has gotten at Adelaide United games at least (I have only been to one interstate a-league game).

As I said, have a look around you next time you are at the footy - barely any minorities are there watching the game. Mainly because it only takes 1 in 100 people to make you feel unwelcome.

As long as minorities feel unwelcome, the sport will remain predominately white.

Yep, lucky we get a home final. But double chance lost is disappointing.

Sorry to hear you are/were subjected to any of that mate. Shit isn't right. At the minimum it's nice to know the other players were sent off and perhaps learnt something from that to avoid repeating it.

Of course soccer is a more diverse crowd, it's the world sport and rivals the entire Olympics of combined sports. The asshat 1% of the crowd is worse at A-league that AFL IMO, which I probably didn't detail well the other day e.g. soccer fights, flares in the crowd etc. I find the cliques to be worse in A-league and more tightly packed. Over the years I think we've seen more riot style police at soccer games over AFL.

Your comment of the 1 out 100 is what my rant was going on about. Yes it's shit, yes it shouldn't happen but don't let that taint your view of the sport or the 99% of good people in the crowd. After all you wouldn't want us to treat minorities by the shit 1% so why do it to AFL crowds? Or let them affect you that way?

Also didn't enjoy the Tigers matches over the last two weeks, weak efforts all round.

Omikron

Of course soccer is a more diverse crowd, it's the world sport and rivals the entire Olympics of combined sports. The asshat 1% of the crowd is worse at A-league that AFL IMO, which I probably didn't detail well the other day e.g. soccer fights, flares in the crowd etc. I find the cliques to be worse in A-league and more tightly packed. Over the years I think we've seen more riot style police at soccer games over AFL.

Do you read the Herald Sun?

Dommo

I know this probably gets brought up every year, but the "At least one game a final's round must be played at the MCG" rule is sort of rubbish. The fact that Hawthorn are effectively getting a home final against Geelong when Geelong have earned their spot is pretty gross. I assume their thought process is "Well, one of the teams' home ground is the MCG - may as well make it that match" but that's arguably worse than making, let's say, GWS v Sydney at the MCG. At least then they're both on even footing.

Just giving Hawthorn a home final when they're lower ranked just doesn't add up, and I suspect, considering they're the only team in the 8 whose home is the MCG, that they would be playing there no matter where they ended up on the ladder.

bomma_man

I know this probably gets brought up every year, but the "At least one game a final's round must be played at the MCG" rule is sort of rubbish. The fact that Hawthorn are effectively getting a home final against Geelong when Geelong have earned their spot is pretty gross. I assume their thought process is "Well, one of the teams' home ground is the MCG - may as well make it that match" but that's arguably worse than making, let's say, GWS v Sydney at the MCG. At least then they're both on even footing.

Just giving Hawthorn a home final when they're lower ranked just doesn't add up, and I suspect, considering they're the only team in the 8 whose home is the MCG, that they would be playing there no matter where they ended up on the ladder.

Yeah, both Geelong and sydney have been hard done by really.

AxeMan

Did you have the same thoughts about finals in 2011 and 2009?
What about when Hawthorn got shafted with it's finals times a few years ago. Same thoughts?

AFL is about money - surely you know that. Kardina park isn't up to the capacity at the moment either. Next year I think it hits 50k. Finals will be played there from then

Dommo

Did you have the same thoughts about finals in 2011 and 2009?
What about when Hawthorn got shafted with it's finals times a few years ago. Same thoughts?

AFL is about money - surely you know that. Kardina park isn't up to the capacity at the moment either. Next year I think it hits 50k. Finals will be played there from then

I didn't pay as much attention to home grounds in those years, but that's why I started my post with "I'm sure this is brought up every year..." because I recognise this as an ongoing problem. Yes, of course I'd have the same thoughts regardless of what team it is, regardless of what year we're talking about. I don't go for Geelong - I'm not biased in this in any way.

Obviously it's about money and obviously I understand that reasoning. I'm arguing that the decision to do so undermines the integrity of the sport. What's the point in fighting for 2nd spot if you don't even get to reap that advantage? And like I said, not only is it Geelong not playing at their preferred stadium, but that their opponent actually is? I didn't realise that Kardinia is in redevelopment, so their capacity is actually pretty pitifully low right now - it becomes slightly more justified but it's still a problem of integrity.

At the very least, should all home teams' preferred stadiums be up to par, the MCG shouldn't be forced onto one of them.

legend166

I didn't pay as much attention to home grounds in those years, but that's why I started my post with "I'm sure this is brought up every year..." because I recognise this as an ongoing problem. Yes, of course I'd have the same thoughts regardless of what team it is, regardless of what year we're talking about. I don't go for Geelong - I'm not biased in this in any way.

Obviously it's about money and obviously I understand that reasoning. I'm arguing that the decision to do so undermines the integrity of the sport. What's the point in fighting for 2nd spot if you don't even get to reap that advantage? And like I said, not only is it Geelong not playing at their preferred stadium, but that their opponent actually is? I didn't realise that Kardinia is in redevelopment, so their capacity is actually pretty pitifully low right now - it becomes slightly more justified but it's still a problem of integrity.

At the very least, should all home teams' preferred stadiums be up to par, the MCG shouldn't be forced onto one of them.

At least you dudes get to play at a stadium you've played at this year. We finish first and have to play at a stadium we haven't touched all year (granted, neither has the opposition).

The idea of 'home state' finals is stupid. For some clubs it's always their actual home ground, for some it's not. If we're always going to have to play the GF at the MCG we should at least get to play our finals at our actual home ground.

jambo

That's mainly because the Melbourne media doesn't really like to cover AFL fan violence, but the moment a flare goes off at an A-Leauge match they're up in arms about it.

That's mainly because the Melbourne media doesn't really like to cover AFL fan violence, but the moment a flare goes off at an A-Leauge match they're up in arms about it.

The last 3 matches I've been to (including the reds coming to Melb) there was 2 flares at 2 of those matches :) Just kidding, I get what you're telling me, cheers.

Worth mentioning, I love soccer too. Played for 9 years competitively and another 4 years of indoor casually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom