• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2014 |OT| Haven't you Hird? Bomber's back!

Go Hawks!!!

Been pumped about the game all day, i'll be seriously deflated if they lose (somewhat expecting it to happen, i just hope it doesnt lol).

AxeMan

Geelong step up a gear playing us. I hate it. For once I'd like to get out to a comfortable 6 goal break and keep it there

In my work tipping comp I've gone with Hawthorn, Sydney, North Melbourne and Port (carn the pear!).

I'm going to the Port game on Sunday and it's going to be absolutely packed, hoping for another record crowd as the Carlton game was fantastic.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
That third was awful. So many weak mistakes. Mackie has been having a horrid game. 2 lazy rundowns in 10 mins... Haven't seen him play worse. Hawkins didn't look great either.
Felt like we were getting outrun.

Great work Hawks. Totally outrun the Cats and as soon as Selwood and Bartel were shutdown, the Cats disappeared. Hawks stepped it up a gear in the second half. Great game to watch. Bring on the other finals!

legend166

I honestly just don't think the Cats were up to the level of Sydney/Hawthorn this season. They should be able to beat North or Essendon next week, but to make the Grand Final from here they have to win an away prelim in either Sydney or Perth.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I honestly just don't think the Cats were up to the level of Sydney/Hawthorn this season. They should be able to beat North or Essendon next week, but to make the Grand Final from here they have to win an away prelim in either Sydney or Perth.

Agreed, they're the next tier.

whom ever wins tonight will be very lucky if they beat the cats. I think both teams could, if they have a great day. But given the seasons of both teams, who knows if that will happen.

Richmond for the flag!

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Playing Essendon next week started to grow on me once I remembered my brother and I would then have our teams battling it out plus Chappy playing finals against his old side. That third quarter start was what changed it all.
I think North are a harder team to stop when they're really going so it's a pretty tough game next week as all finals are to be fair.
Bad luck, Essendon.

-Stranger-

So proud to be a North supporter today :D
Amazing win

VOE5lp.gif

Port playing like this is beautiful to watch. I always thought Port will kill the Tigers but the start they had might have been slightly unexpected.

The Tiger fans congregating at the train station and the Power march down Rundle was pretty fantastic today. The atmosphere was electric throughout the whole game and just a really great day.

Richmond played like a 9th position team, to be honest.

Westlo

So proud to be a North supporter today :D
Amazing win

VOE5lp.gif

does fuck all the entire game upto that point, acts like he just bagged his sixth. Good to see he played one good qtr of footy against the bombers out of the 8 he played all year.

If he disappears for another 3 quarters against the cats you guys are fucked.

Fantastic second half to watch. Awesome stuff Port. It was be so awesome if they can get into the granny. Swans and Hawks though have to still be huge favourites.

I live about five minutes from Alberton so hearing the crowd cheer with the door open and watching the game was fantastic. Unfortunately we couldn't be there tonight but I think I'll be over at Alberton next Saturday to watch the game.

Fremantle should have kicked a few goals early but shanking them like they did really cost them the game, just as much as our bounce back in the second half.

Omikron

ASADA / AFL investigation into Essendon lawful. Essendon were ripped apart by the judge.

I am sure it is still someone else's fault though.

Yagharek

Hopefully Essendon start doing the right thing and start following the process rather than stop it

I'm going to ask one question here and I do not want it to derail this thread once it is answered since I have no more vested interest in it, but it is a genuine question I hope has a simple answer.

Q: How the hell can a ban be backdated? Isn't that exactly the same as not being banned!

AxeMan

I'm going to ask one question here and I do not want it to derail this thread once it is answered since I have no more vested interest in it, but it is a genuine question I hope has a simple answer.

Q: How the hell can a ban be backdated? Isn't that exactly the same as not being banned!

Without anything to point you at to back up my claim I'll answer as such

ASADA have the ability to recommend penalties to the tribunal if they are found guilty. Remember that the issuing of SCN isn't saying they are guilty, it's saying 'Hey, we think we've got enough evidence that you need to prove us wrong'.

If you can't answer that well enough then off to the tribunal you go and they decide the ban (pretty much the ban will be what ASADA tells them).

So if a player co-operates ASADA have the ability to significantly reduce the ban from competition, back to when the player started to co-operate with ASADA (in this case the interviews).

So say ASADA interview a player on the 1/7/14, the player fully co-operates with ASADA.
ASADA issue SCN that turns into the player fronting the tribunal.
Tribunal convenes on the 1/1/15
ASADA tell the tribunal 'Hey, this bloke was really good and co-operated with our investigation. We recommend a 1 year ban from competition. But because of the co-operation we reckon it should start from the 1/7/14.'

Then you get a 12 month ban, backdated 6 months.

Yagharek

Right, makes sense to me I guess if thats how they calculate it, but I guess my surprise is that it is completely different to how it works in, say, criminal law where there is the concept of time already served in custody if the suspect is not out on bail before the trial ends.

In the sporting context, no time has been served, so to speak.

So, a person who is liable for a six month ban who co-operated from 1/7/14 and then gets a 6 month ban on 1/1/15 when the case if finalised ends up serving no ban. I just find that odd.

Of course the whole situation is, but I'm trying just to discuss this one aspect of it.

AxeMan

I don't think there would ever be a situation where a player that is still on a list (ie not retired) that would not receive some game time in a suspension.

I believe ASADA and WADA are struggling with the team based aspect of this. Mostly it's always been individuals.
I believe ASADA have taken the view that while the players are ultimately responsible for what goes in their bodies they have a certain amount of sympathy as the players are in a team sport and have complete trust in their club and it's employees (doctors, coaches etc)

In the case of Essendon I reckon ASADA want to whack the players a little but really knock into orbit the coaches and doctors that allowed this

Yagharek

Sounds like a fair assessment to me.

People need to be raked over the coals for this. The only question is who knew what, Dank in particular.

I suspect some people may be saved by a lack of documents. Anyway, lets see what the SCN and tribunals find before final judgement. Unless this goes on for a few years...

AxeMan

So many tears.

How about that 'level playing field' of the Grand Final being at your home ground every year?

No tears. Just frustrating that the completion isn't on an even playing field. I reckon it's a good idea to not have the GF at the MCG every year, but that isn't going to change soon. Perhaps WA once their new stadium is built.

Would you happily give up the extra cap allowance to have the GF played in Sydney every year? Yeah, thought not.

Swans have only missed 3 finals series since 1996 (18 years). Have been in 5 GF's in that time, have won 2 of those and probably soon to be 3 of those.

But ok, you need the extra cap allowance. I can see how that works

The VFL grand final? The Hawks won't be in any other grand finals this year....

Yeah, we should probably win that.
I don't think we'll beat Port this afternoon, they are playing excellent football. And to be honest I don't really mind because I don't want to watch us lose to Sydney next week either :)

legend166

No tears. Just frustrating that the completion isn't on an even playing field. I reckon it's a good idea to not have the GF at the MCG every year, but that isn't going to change soon. Perhaps WA once their new stadium is built.

Would you happily give up the extra cap allowance to have the GF played in Sydney every year? Yeah, thought not.

Swans have only missed 3 finals series since 1996 (18 years). Have been in 5 GF's in that time, have won 2 of those and probably soon to be 3 of those.

But ok, you need the extra cap allowance. I can see how that works

Yeah, we should probably win that.
I don't think we'll beat Port this afternoon, they are playing excellent football. And to be honest I don't really mind because I don't want to watch us lose to Sydney next week either :)

Absolutely I would.

AxeMan

If Sydney ever get a big enough stadium then it's a possible (not solely hosts, rotating) once the AFL are out of the MCG contract

ANZ is not a solution

Grassy

Go Hawks!

I'm expecting a tough game today, Port are looking dangerous right now and will be full of confidence.

Hawks by 2 points....

Chris R

So glad I get Fox Sports 2 now. Only added to my cable package a few weeks ago though :( Been watching all games when I can, watching this one as long as I can stay awake.

So glad I get Fox Sports 2 now. Only added to my cable package a few weeks ago though :( Been watching all games when I can, watching this one as long as I can stay awake.

Yep fox HD quality is far better, other sports coverage is great too. Tight match so far, still think Hawks will get up.

Top Bottom