• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2014 |OT| Haven't you Hird? Bomber's back!

jambo

F956xiO.png

Its that time again! The NAB Challenge (the AFL's new experimental pre-season comp) begins today (Feb 12).

The first round of the official 2014 Premiership Season isn't until mid March and is again split over two weekends, with the first game (Collingwood vs. Fremantle) on Friday March 14.

Important Links / Notes

2014 Season Fixtures
2014 NAB Challenge Fixture

Season 2014 Fixture

Highlights Videos
15 Minute Fan-made 2013 Highlights Video
The best come back win of 2013!
A highlights video of the past 10 or so years for those of you who are new to the game

International Visitors
- Games can be watched online through http://watchafl.afl.com.au/ - It lets you watch every single match live and on-demand on your desktop, mobile or tablet. 2014 NAB Challenge Season Pass is FREE, whilst the AFL 2014 Premiership Season Pass is $120 AUD.
- Countries that get ESPN and ESPN2 should get a few matches a week, some of them even being live feeds
- New Zealanders will get every match each weekend on Sommet Sports, 6 live and 3 delayed
- Europeans can watch on Eurosport 2
- In the US, games on are on Fox Soccer Plus
- Canadians can watch on TSN and TSN2
- African viewers can watch on SuperSport
- Middle East and North African viewers can watch on the Orbit Showtime Network

AFL-GAFFERS:
GAF Supporter List:

Adelaide Crows - tri_willy, Dommo, deadmeadow88, Galdun
Brisbane Lions - Grug
Carlton Blues - oipic, speedpop, maladroid, Macready1306
Collingwood Magpies - Dead Man, El'Kharn, Satchel, Jables Swan, bobnowhere
Essendon Bombers - theb0xmIke, Jezabel, HolyCheck, Ingram, Westlo, Shancake, RandomVince
Fremantle Dockers - what's in a name
Geelong Cats - Andiie
Gold Coast Suns -
GWS Giants - BanShunsaku
Hawthorn Hawks - Grassy, Here For The Free Feed
Melbourne Demons - KAP151
North Melbourne Kangaroos- guidop, Jebus
Port Adelaide Power - jambo, fisheyes, Ningo, Juicy Bob, reptilescorpio, Chaosmidas, Dryk
Richmond Tigers - a posh hammer
St Kilda Saints - Ydahs, Pachael, Scullibuno
Sydney Swans- Rezbit, legend166, iSimon
West Coast Eagles - FGMPR, midonnay, Kerrby, cr_blah_blah, Nickovic, aDDiKt24, VOOK, Raad, oxirane(?), AnkhWeasel
Western Bulldogs - Major_Lazer

GAF AFL TIPPING LEAGUE:
egFlqY0m.jpg

http://www.footytips.com.au/comps/believe
Password is legend166

GAF AFL DREAM TEAM:
http://fantasy.afl.com.au/
COMING SOON - Not sure what we're doing for this year, will update when I know.
Also, don't forget about Ydahs' great http://dream-stats.com/ site for all your Dream Team / Supercoach needs

Relive all the fun/drama of the AFL 2013 OT

Thanks to fisheyes, Grug and Ydahs, I used a few bits from last years thread for this one (up to and including this very line)

2NRQOjBl.jpg

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Interesting a game every night for the nab cup.

Gonna miss the opening round or two due to being in korea :(

jambo

We recently got rid of Foxtel to save money, so I'm going to try out the AFL app subscription.

$14.99 a month for full access to live video, on-demand replays and other content. You can also pay $89.99 for a full 12 months, but I'm just going to cancel my sub after the season ends in September anyway.

Also works on multiple devices (of the same OS) as it's attached to your Apple or Google ID.

Dead Man

Nice OP, clear, pity about the picture at the bottom.

Funnily enough, I almost ended being a Hawthorne supporter. Grew up in SA but right by the border with Vic, so VFL was watched more than SANFL. I didn't want to grow up going for the Pies like my dad, so I tried to follow other teams. Being a kid in the 80's, you wanted to be a fan of Hawthorn. But hey, the apple never falls too far from the tree I guess. Going to be a great season of watching Collingwood defeat themselves. :(

Suns have no GAF fans? Come on, I know somebody is one, be proud! Get out of that closet!

Why do Australian sports with very little international presence reckon they are worth so much for a years worth of streaming even for people overseas? V8 Supercars is charging overseas people to stream it as well when several other major international racing series don't. Seems a stupid way to try and grow an audience.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Nice OP, clear, pity about the picture at the bottom.

Funnily enough, I almost ended being a Hawthorne supporter. Grew up in SA but right by the border with Vic, so VFL was watched more than SANFL. I didn't want to grow up going for the Pies like my dad, so I tried to follow other teams. Being a kid in the 80's, you wanted to be a fan of Hawthorn. But hey, the apple never falls too far from the tree I guess. Going to be a great season of watching Collingwood defeat themselves. :(

Suns have no GAF fans? Come on, I know somebody is one, be proud! Get out of that closet!

Why do Australian sports with very little international presence reckon they are worth so much for a years worth of streaming even for people overseas? V8 Supercars is charging overseas people to stream it as well when several other major international racing series don't. Seems a stupid way to try and grow an audience.

because the expats have no other decent way of watching lol

jambo

I think I would rather watch a shitty stream than pay that much for a single season of a single sport. But they probably do do well with the expats lol.

As detailed in the OP, there are actually a lot more options for international viewers now. A lot of people get cable tv and packaged tv stuff as standard, so they should just be able to DVR matches or even watch them live.

The NHL and NFL both have international streaming packs that cost around $50 USD, so while it is cheaper, they are still charging.

In a perfect world we'd just get everything streamed in HD for free, but we're not quite there yet.

Dryk

If you want to add me to the list I don't really follow football that much but I come from a Port supporting family so that's usually the answer I'll give when asked.

Go sports!

Dead Man

As detailed in the OP, there are actually a lot more options for international viewers now. A lot of people get cable tv and packaged tv stuff as standard, so they should just be able to DVR matches or even watch them live.

The NHL and NFL both have international streaming packs that cost around $50 USD, so while it is cheaper, they are still charging.

In a perfect world we'd just get everything streamed in HD for free, but we're not quite there yet.

Yeah, but it is cheaper, and they don't really need to grow their audience the same way Australian specific sporting codes do.

I get why they do it, too easy to use a proxy and circumvent for locals, but it still seems a bit silly when so many sports in Aus seem to be talking up overseas audience expansion.

Great OP jambo. Bring on the start of the season! If I remember, I'll check out the Pies game tonight. Not too fussed about this NAB challenge stuff though.

Not a good night for injuries. Pies have been huge though. Loving the work from the new blokes White and Adams. Lots of good signs.

enjoyed the intensity of the pies/cats, hopefully it's set the tone for the next 17 days.

and yep, shame about those injuries though the lads jaw isn't as bad as first thought so at least that's something..

go the hawks tonight!!

jambo

I watched a bit of the last quarter and it sounded like they were trying out some different things with their team and players so it's not surprising.

Pretty tough gig to have your first match of the year against the reigning premiers.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Richmond were pretty terrible but good to see the Dees come out with a win for once. Not sure it's a good thing they had almost 200 more possessions and only won by 14.

jambo

Apart from that late goal they were pretty terrible in that first quarter.

Just no flow to anything they did, seemingly no planning.

First quarter possession count was 96-36...

So glad footy is back. Reckon we might win 3 or 4 games this year - saw some promising signs vs the Swans last week. Got my tickets for the round 1 Battle of the Bridge (vomit) and can't wait!

beards look ridiculous when you can't take a chest mark, a la jack watts early last year :p

so that's NAB done and dusted right, just a practice game each or something left?

how's everyone's team looking, pretty happy with the hawks lead up

hoping young garlett can switch on after hearing today that he's struggling..

Sup guys!

So me and my friend, NeoGAF member Milchjon, decided that the NFL betrayed us and became instant AFL fans.

He chose the Fremantle Dockers, because his hometown team in Germany are called the Dockers and I chose the Geelong Cats, because the name sounded fun.

Who made the best decision here? What's the most hated team in the league?

Dockers > Cats at this stage. If you had of jumped on the Cats 7 years ago, you would have definitely made the better choice.

Hated teams depends on where you live in the country and who you follow.

But Collingwood and Carlton are probably the big two. Everyone hates Collingwood and Collingwood fans hate Carlton.

Dockers > Cats at this stage. If you had of jumped on the Cats 7 years ago, you would have definitely made the better choice.

Hated teams depends on where you live in the country and who you follow.

But Collingwood and Carlton are probably the big two. Everyone hates Collingwood and Collingwood fans hate Carlton.

Is the > based on recent performance or overall team history?

I always enjoy being hated because of my sports teams, but this should be fun anyway.

Save to say Andiiie is now my new best, Australian friend. Is 'What's in A Name' an actual GAF member?

Chris R

In the US, games on are on Fox Soccer Plus

Booooooooo. FSP isn't even offered by my cable company. At least put the games on Fox Sports 2 ya sillies, better than the infomercials you would be running any ways :(

Top Bottom