• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2014 |OT| Haven't you Hird? Bomber's back!

Is the > based on recent performance or overall team history?

I always enjoy being hated because of my sports teams, but this should be fun anyway.

Save to say Andiiie is now my new best, Australian friend. Is 'What's in A Name' an actual GAF member?

Yeah based on last season and my prediction for this season. Geelong's overall team history is greater.

jambo

Is the > based on recent performance or overall team history?

Freo are definitely better in recent years, but the Cats have been the team to beat over the last 8 years.

They won the 2007, 2009 and 2011 Grand Finals and also appeared as the losing side in the 2008 Grand Final.

They also had a crazy win-loss ratio, something like 5:1 in that period.

Freo on the other hand have only ever been in one Grand Final and they lost...

Westlo

Geelong are like the Spurs from the NBA, Fremantle's more like the Thunder maybe... except their window could close soon once Sandilands, Pav, McPharlin retire and Mundy might get poached at the end of this season.

Also lol @ all these commentator and experts putting Collingwood in the Top 4, pretty fucking funny when you wouldn't lift an eyelid in shock if they started off 0-7 this season because of their draw.

Geelong are like the Spurs from the NBA, Fremantle's more like the Thunder maybe... except their window could close soon once Sandilands, Pav, McPharlin retire and Mundy might get poached at the end of this season.

Also lol @ all these commentator and experts putting Collingwood in the Top 4, pretty fucking funny when you wouldn't lift an eyelid in shock if they started off 0-7 this season because of their draw.

Which team compares to the Heat? I need to know who to hate.

Freo are definitely better in recent years, but the Cats have been the team to beat over the last 8 years.

They won the 2007, 2009 and 2011 Grand Finals and also appeared as the losing side in the 2008 Grand Final.

They also had a crazy win-loss ratio, something like 5:1 in that period.

Freo on the other hand have only ever been in one Grand Final and they lost...

So I bandwagoned my way onto a succesful team, based on the team name. It was them or the Bulldogs for me.

Yeah based on last season and my prediction for this season. Geelong's overall team history is greater.

Thanks for your view on this all!

legend166

What you really need to know is that Richmond is the equivalent of the Knicks.

Sure, they had some success 30+ years ago but they've been horrible ever since.

You can hate Essendon - it's likely half their team is about to get suspended because of a team doping program. Instead of being sacked, their coach was suspended (with pay!) for 12 months!

jambo

1Kd1tsB.png

Friday March 14th
Collingwood vs. Fremantle @ Etihad Stadium

Saturday March 15th
Greater Western Sydney vs. Sydney @ GIANTS Stadium
Gold Coast vs. Richmond @ Metricon Stadium

Sunday March 16th
Carlton vs. Port Adelaide @ Etihad Stadium

Thursday March 20th
Geelong vs. Adelaide @ Simonds Staduim

Friday March 21st
North Melbourne vs. Essendon @ Etihad Stadium

Saturday March 22nd
Hawthorn vs. Brisbane @ Aurora Stadium
St Kilda vs. Melbourne @ Etihad Stadium

Sunday March 23rd
West Coast vs. Western Bulldogs @ Patersons Stadium

Round 1 Teams

jambo

My tips for the next fortnight, may well change with a 2 week round.

Fremantle

Sydney
Richmond

Carlton

Geelong

North Melbourne

Hawthorn
Melbourne

West Coast

Westlo

Which team compares to the Heat? I need to know who to hate.

I would say Collingwood except they have only won 2 premierships in the last 58 years which is pretty lolz since they try and sell themselves as the Manchester United of AFL clubs to people outside of this country. Merchandise, news coverage, supporter base they probably are, but 2 flags in 58 years and only 4 (out of 15) since World War 2 is a pretty shit record. Compared to say Hawthorn who won all 11 of their premierships since 1961. (11 > 2 Magpie fans)

Actually that doesn't really fit, but hey I just wanted to shit on Collingwoods post war record. Collingwoods probably more a Boston.

Maybe Sydney because of the last two free agent seasons? A lot of people are hoping that Lance Franklin 9 year contract fucking kills them later.

I would say Collingwood except they have only won 2 premierships in the last 58 years which is pretty lolz since they try and sell themselves as the Manchester United of AFL clubs to people outside of this country. Merchandise, news coverage, supporter base they probably are, but 2 flags in 58 years and only 4 (out of 15) since World War 2 is a pretty shit record. Compared to say Hawthorn who won all 11 of their premierships since 1961. (11 > 2 Magpie fans)

Actually that doesn't really fit, but hey I just wanted to shit on Collingwoods post war record. Collingwoods probably more a Boston.

Maybe Sydney because of the last two free agent seasons? A lot of people are hoping that Lance Franklin 9 year contract fucking kills them later.

My family is from Boston! I'm a Pats fan :D

We recently got rid of Foxtel to save money, so I'm going to try out the AFL app subscription.

$14.99 a month for full access to live video, on-demand replays and other content. You can also pay $89.99 for a full 12 months, but I'm just going to cancel my sub after the season ends in September anyway.

Also works on multiple devices (of the same OS) as it's attached to your Apple or Google ID.
What's this all about then?

Booooooooo. FSP isn't even offered by my cable company. At least put the games on Fox Sports 2 ya sillies, better than the infomercials you would be running any ways :(
Yep. Pretty disappointed. In past seasons it was on ESPN2. Those Fox Sports channels desperately need content too. Uggghhhhh.....

legend166

I don't even know what to say about that performance. Maybe there's something behind the rumour of things not being well behind the scenes, because that's the loss of a club not focused on the game.

I don't even know what to say about that performance. Maybe there's something behind the rumour of things not being well behind the scenes, because that's the loss of a club not focused on the game.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact Buddy's a bit of a dick...

Anyway, carn Eagels!! woo only one more week now..

If it's what I've heard then there is discontent amongst the players that they are getting unders on their contracts to keep the team together and yet large sums of money are going to two high profile forwards.

Fair enough. Does seem quite unfair for the players but if they want to sign the contracts that's their choice.

Fair enough. Does seem quite unfair for the players but if they want to sign the contracts that's their choice.
I'm not sure how relevant this is to Buddy and Sydney but NPR did a good primer on salary caps in the NBA a while back: http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/01/25/170176590/at-17-5-million-a-year-lebron-james-is-underpaid

The reason I post that is because it's a similar scenario in that a star player gets plenty of money and the lesser players have to shut up and wear it. They then also make some good points that these lesser players are not necessarily worth any more than they're already getting anyways, and they should be happy that someone else is pulling in the bucks and the fans that come with it.

zbeeb

Such an exciting start to the season, I can almost forgive this stupid split round business!

Stoked to see GWS come up with a win, compared to most of their efforts last year, it was good to see them keep pushing all the way to the end instead of the usual 4th quarter fade.

Is it too late to get amongst the gaf tipping? I've been flat out recently and completely forgot to sign up.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Is it too late to get amongst the gaf tipping? I've been flat out recently and completely forgot to sign up.

It's not too late. Anyone can join anytime they want. I don't think I've picked up a correct tip yet so you won't be at much of a disadvantage. Make sure you get your tip in for tonight's game.

Ydahs

Damn, completely missed this thread.

Awesome opening round of footy. The expansion teams put on a great show against two solid clubs. Fremantle will be a powerhouse yet again while Collingwood's time may have passed.

Looking forward to tonight's game. Two teams which I enjoy watching. Blues in a close contest I reckon.

Also, boo split rounds.

This is the first game I've watched properly this weekend (Port supporter) but have Channel 7 turned up the amount of superimposing of statistics? This is about the third time I've seen something irrelevant like the list of commentators on the field.

Westlo

This really isn't a game Carlton can afford to lose, aside from the top 3 (though maybe it should be top 2 after yesterday lol) there's so many teams vying for 4th to 8th and losing to other contenders @ home is just going to hurt to much.

I got...

Richmond winning 16
North winning 15
Geelong winning 14
Essendon winning 13 (win anzac and dream time, drop the 2nd matchups like usual!)
Port winning 13 (not counting this game)
Carlton winning 11 (and that was counting this game)
Gold Coast winning 10 (and yeah I tipped them last night)
Collingwood winning 9 (I really have no idea why they even bothered to extend Bucks before the season, if he had managed to go 5-3 or 4-4 in the first 8 rounds that would've been the peferct time since they get an easy 4 game run before the hawks)
Adelaide winning 9
West Coast winning 8

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
We killed it in the end. Didn't see the first 3 quarters but thought we looked the goods in the last.
Loved Caddy's dash out of 50 to set up the Selwood goal with 5 mins left.
Jimmy with 4 in his 250th.

Westlo

Even if they win this game, North aren't a top 4 side (and nah swallow aint that good), if they end up finishing top 4 it's because of their piss easy draw and they are just pretenders. I honestly think Essendon is a much better side (though I'm also biased) but looking @ the draw no way Essendon should finish above them... Anyway North are just going to be fodder for Hawks or Freo and have a good chance of embarrassingly going out 2 games in a row depending on who they get the week after.

As for the entire Hird saga, so over it, and I would love if Bomber could coach on for a few more years yet. Anyway the boys are looking good and we have a lot of best 22 out, looking forward to anzac day because going by this form we'll smash the pies.

Also so good that you could arguably saw the sons of Gazza and Timmy are the best two players in the league atm

Yep, always a pleasure seeing the Grand Finale on TV if nothing else.
It's really perplexing if Fox has the rights to it here why it is not on FS1 or FS2. FS1 just replays their highlight show twelve times a night and I've never seen FS2 advertised for content anywhere. Showing AFL and such was apart of ESPN2's growth strategy in the 90's....

mrpookles

Well, we (the Dogs) were atrocious. Thought 10 wins was par this year, but that was bottom 4 shit tonight.

Eagles look a finals certainty.

Westlo

I ended up with 6 tips for my work comp, stupidly thought I picked gold coast and for some reason I picked carlton. I aint underestimating port again, last year wasn't a fluke and their more legit than the pack of pretenders in richmond, north and carlton. I put $50 on them to win the showdown next week.

I ended up with 6 tips for my work comp, stupidly thought I picked gold coast and for some reason I picked carlton. I aint underestimating port again, last year wasn't a fluke and their more legit than the pack of pretenders in richmond, north and carlton. I put $50 on them to win the showdown next week.

Good bet I reckon. I too should have shown them more faith with my tipping.

North, Tigers and Carlton have a long way to go to prove they even deserve finals this year. Add the Pies to that list too.

Top Bottom