• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AFL (Aussie Rules) 2014 |OT| Haven't you Hird? Bomber's back!

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Just switched from Collingwood to Gold Coast. My success rate in the past few years on late changes wouldn't be much more than 5% so don't know if I made the right choice. :p

I'm thinking the Pies might be short of goal scorers with Elliot out and Thompson on Cloke. They also seem to have a lot of important players out.
We'll see.

Bishop89

Carn the Kangas!! :D

Its weird to see us beating the top 8 sides however not being able to put away the bottom sides consistently.

Punters must hate us lol

jambo

A shit couple of weeks for Port =\

Really hope we can turn it around, these two games were supposed to be easy points to help secure a home final.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
lol, what are you doing Murdoch?
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-07-06/murdochs-contender-for-miss-of-the-season

Edit: Next week looks like it could stir up some drama. More than a few look like they could potentially go either way. Will need to see the teams and such on the day to know for sure.
Only 7 more rounds to go. Could have been bad for a few of us had the two comp leaders gotten the Collingwood tip. Kept me in it for another week at least.

THRILLH0

Banned
What's with the INXS thing before Port games? Very odd.

They're trying to invoke the Liverpool/you'll never walk alone thing where the ground ends up spontaneously bursting into song.

Only without all the relevance and actual pathos.

Westlo

I'm surprised Port's getting beaten over there by Essendon of all teams.

Edit: Big win.

You act like we didn't drop the ball against the Hawks and Cats... god those two games would've changed everything... would've had hawks, cats and essendon level on 40 points... (don't even want to talk about the anzac day or melbourne game ffs...)

It was nice to finally not choke away a win against a top team this year, even though the umpires tried their best in the last few minutes with that non free kick against Monfries....

Bombers vs Pies is massive next week for both clubs... if we can win that the only game we should really lose the rest of the year is the Swans game, though the Gold Coast game is probably as massive as the Pies game, thankfully it's @ docklands and no Gazza...

I reckon Collingwood are in danger of dropping out.... especially if they lose to Essendon.

Bombers vs Pies (50/50)
Pies Vs Crows (60/40)
Pies Vs Power (40/60)
Eagles Vs Pies (60/40)
Hawks Vs Pies (30/70)

those 5 are big games for them... losing to Gold Coast, Essendon and Adelaide would be the worst 3 game losing streak of the year considering their positions on the ladder...

North got a dream run, Gold Coast is good, Essendon and Crows pretty nice, Pies got the hardest draw of the 6th to 10th teams.

And whoever makes it to 8th gets rewarded with playing either Geelong, Hawks or Power away lol.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
You act like we didn't drop the ball against the Hawks and Cats... god those two games would've changed everything... would've had hawks, cats and essendon level on 40 points... (don't even want to talk about the anzac day or melbourne game ffs...)

"Dropping the ball" is part of the reason I made the comment.

You're right about Essendon v Collingwood. I might lean toward Essendon given Collingwood have a few injured players that I'm not sure they're getting back. A few tough games next week.

My potential upset of the round is Melbourne and Geelong. We seem to get the job down regardless of how terrible we are but an interested Melbourne could cause some problems. Second half fade outs and contested football struggles could be an issues for the Cats. Could be a game Melbourne want to be up for.

I could see Gold Coast dropping out over the others.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Damnit, think the tipping margin's too much now. :( Thought Adelaide had a pretty good chance of knocking over Hawthorn tonight.

jambo

Tipped the Hawks by 15 points, so close.

Also they fucked up my tips, but good on the Doggies for getting up.

AxeMan

Just want to say I love football, don't really like the AFL and hate the split round

Went and watched Ainslie vs Queanbeyan last week and decided I need to get to local footy more often

jambo

1Kd1tsB.png

Friday July 18th
Carlton vs. North Melbourne @ Etihad Stadium

Saturday July 19th
St Kilda vs. Fremantle @ Etihad Stadium
Greater Western Sydney vs. Geelong @ GIANTS Stadium

Sunday July 20th
Port Adelaide vs. Melbourne @ Adelaide Oval
Western Bulldogs vs. Essendon @ Etihad Stadium

Round 18 Teams

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Outstanding from the Saints. Could come close to 100 pts.
So much for a boring round. Two big losses in a row.

jambo

Cats came close to losing, would've been a big weekend of upsets.

Port still have a chance to let Melbourne do it though =\

jambo

Wow, did not see this coming

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-22/trigg-moves-to-carlton

273212-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Steven Trigg will leave the Crows after 13 years and join Carlton as their new CEO

DEPARTING Adelaide CEO Steven Trigg will continue on at West Lakes in a limited capacity for a month before filling the vacant CEO role at Carlton.

Trigg has held the top job at the Crows for more than 12 years, and despite claiming in February that he had "unfinished business" at the club, he said the timing of the opportunity to join the Blues was out of his control.

Before joining Carlton in a month, Trigg said he would seek to close several commercial projects for the Crows but wouldn't involve himself in any meetings or decisions that could amount to a conflict of interest, such as list management.

Trigg said he had been thinking about the end of his tenure at the club more "over the past six months in particular" and, more recently, joining the Blues was something he couldn't stop thinking about.

"A few weeks back an opportunity arose…[it] started to resonate and resonate more and more," he said.

"The pure logic in joining a great club in the form of Carlton, I just couldn't get it out of my head and it progressed from there.

"I never, ever wanted to outstay my welcome. I've been supported incredibly well by this club for a long time and through a few little difficult spots.

"I just know that the time is right, I just know that we've signed off on so many really good things for the footy club and I know that it's in great shape."

The club's COO Nigel Smart will step in as acting CEO, reporting directly to the board, while Adelaide conducts a national and international search for Trigg's permanent replacement.

jambo

1Kd1tsB.png

Friday July 25th
West Coast vs. Richmond @ Patersons Stadium

Saturday July 26th
Brisbane vs. Gold Coast @ The Gabba
Hawthorn vs. Sydney @ The MCG

Sunday July 27th
Collingwood vs. Adelaide @ The MCG

Round 18 Teams

jambo

Wow, did not see this coming

Roos to coach Dees until end of 2016

feSULaQ.jpg

MELBOURNE has received some outstanding news on Monday, with Paul Roos committing to the club for a third year, meaning he will coach the Demons until the end of the 2016 season.

Roos, who was appointed Melbourne coach on September 6 last year, initially agreed to a two-year deal, with an option for a third season.

But following Melbourne’s second bye, and in the lead-up to its round 19 clash against the Brisbane Lions at Etihad Stadium, Roos told the club he would take up his third year.

The news will be a welcome relief for everyone who bleeds red and blue, given the significant improvement he has overseen at the club this year.

Roos inherited a team that had won just two matches in 2013 – statistically it was Melbourne’s fifth worse season in VFL/AFL history since 1897.

The team also had a percentage of 54.1 last year.

Roos said his immediate goal was to lift that percentage, which has improved to 73 so far in 2014.

The Demons have also won four matches and been competitive in most matches this season, dropping six by 20 points or fewer.

It’s a far better scenario than 2013, when the Dees lost 12 matches by 10 goals or more.

The 2005 Sydney Swans premiership coach and 356-game player with Fitzroy and the Swans remains one of the biggest names in the game.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2014-07-28/roos-locks-in-third-year

jambo

1Kd1tsB.png

Thursday July 31st
Fremantle vs. Carlton @ Patersons Stadium

Friday August 1st
Sydney vs. Essendon @ The SCG

Saturday August 2nd
Adelaide vs. West Coast @ Adelaide Oval
Richmond vs. Greater Western Sydney @ The MCG
Gold Coast vs. St Kilda @ Metricon Stadium
North Melbourne vs. Geelong @ Etihad Stadium

Sunday July 6th
Melbourne vs. Brisbane @ Etihad Stadium
Hawthorn vs. Western Bulldogs @ Aurora Stadium
Collingwood vs. Port Adelaide @ The MCG

Round 19 Teams

jambo

GWS actually looked half decent at points, but their kicking really let them down, especially in the last quarter.

They had a few solid chances to bring the game back to a couple of goals and just wasted them with poor kicks.

Pies really killed their finals chances the last month or so. With all the other teams failing around the 8, we could have secured a spot long ago. Doesn't matter really, it's probably only down to 2 teams come September.

Top Bottom