• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$78,000 crowdfunded for movie, uses the money on champagne. But 2 years later...

Status
Not open for further replies.

"But it turns out they did make a film, a very meta movie about not making a movie."

The first trailer for It’s All Good was released this morning, which centres on a trio of filmmakers, played by the filmmakers themselves, who crowdfund money for a film and then blow it all.

A group of filmmakers have trolled their Indiegogo supporters in pretty stunning fashion, disappearing with the investment, frittering it away and then making a film about it.

FND Films raised close to $78,000 through a YouTube plea video in 2014, providing no details on the film apart from its name: It’s All Good.

They then promptly vanished, occasionally posting photos of themselves on social media drinking on boats and enjoying a vacation in Italy.

Supporters were furious, writing "Are you fucking serious???? Where's the fucking money??" on their Facebook page, posting their personal details and in some cases threatening legal action.

Undeterred, FND continued with the con, formally announcing that the film was not going to be made due to “things beyond out control” and even going on Fox News to admit that they ran out of money shortly after starting production.

Trailer, featuring their apology video, and the fan-reactions.

SpaceWolf

Banned
This has to be the most bloody genius idea for a scam I have ever heard of.

Edit: I am joking, just to be clear. The very idea of these guys potentially shooting a documentary instead of an actual film, narrated by Werner Herzog, following three film-makers as they spend copious amounts of their Kickstarter's money in a short space of time and then releasing the film to justify the enterprise would have been the con of the century.

ZOONAMI

$78k isn't exactly jet setting money, especially for more than one person.

And how did they crowd fund $78k being that vague? Were they well known before this?

RoyalFool

Banned
Oh wow, those guys - those fucking guys.

This is like somebody discovers how to open the gates in no mans sky, and it takes you to an alternative universe that has actual content.

- J - D -

These guys are dirtbags, surely, but this new movie is so hilariously meta that it actually sorta legitimizes the whole thing.

Krejlooc

Banned
Er, did people watch the video? They didn't really blow the money, they use the money to make an obviously well produced film about people who blow kickstarter money.

BKJest

So what made people fund it?
They apparently had a semi successful youtube channel for a decade. The AVGN movie didn't have that much more of a premise and it's crowdfunding campaign made 5 times as much. If you have a dedicated following they will donate on goodwill.

Oh? The article reads that no details were given about the film at time of funding. If that's not the case, then that's fine. I have not watched the original pitch.

To be fair they just said that it was an action comedy movie and that they can't say more without spoiling it but that seems pretty in line with what the trailer delivered.

Krejlooc

Banned
This has to be the most bloody genius idea for a scam I have ever heard of.

And the funny thing is it's all legal. Crowdfunding can be a curse of a boon.

people who give money away so easily deserve it

These guys are dirtbags, surely, but this new movie is so hilariously meta that it actually sorta legitimizes the whole thing.

Can't knock that hustle at all. Smart idea.

This isn't a scam, or a hustle. Their backers didn't get burned. These people aren't dirtbags. They used the money for what they told people they were going to use the money for. They actually produced a movie. The only 'gotcha' is that the subject matter of the movie is meta. But they didn't scam people.

This is genius. Not sure why people are calling them a scam. This is exactly the type of video that they were planning to make from the beginning, but in order to do so they needed to keep their backers in the dark.

This isn't a scam, or a hustle. Their backers didn't get burned. These people aren't dirtbags. They used the money for what they told people they were going to use the money for. They actually produced a movie. The only 'gotcha' is that the subject matter of the movie is meta. But they didn't scam people.

This is the part that people are missing. There was no scam that actually took place. Just the illusion of one through the main three making it seem like the money got blown.

It's funny looking at the original pitch video where they say they can't say anything about the plot cause of major spoilers.

Goldrush

Before watching the trailer, thought the movie was just a documentary showing how they blow through the money which would have been horrible. Surprised that it actually had scripts, actors, settings, etc.

Semajer

They waited quite a long time between their "sorry no film" video and the trailer video. I wonder if that hurt their Youtube channel much.

The trailer for the movie they actually made looked alright.

Pretty clever if I'm being honest.
Yeah I don't get it
The trailer alone is a lot of.work, nicely lit shot and even acted. 78k is nothing. No idea if the meta movie is any good but it would be hard to argue anyone got ripped off. Pewdiepie probably doesn't get out of bed to make a 10 minute vlog for.78k.

- J - D -

I guess that's fine. But I wouldn't want to be trolled if I give money to a crowdfund.

Creators running off with the money or blowing it all is something that has happened before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom