• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$78,000 crowdfunded for movie, uses the money on champagne. But 2 years later...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alienous

Before watching the trailer, thought the movie was just a documentary showing how they blow through the money which would have been horrible. Surprised that it actually had scripts, actors, settings, etc.

I'm the opposite. I was hoping it was that first thing.

From reading it seems like they didn't actually make a movie and made a sort of documentary of the whole experience. But seeing the trailer reveals:

They didn't really blow the money, they use the money to make an obviously well produced film about people who blow kickstarter money.

Cuburt

It's not a scam, it's just a prank, bro. It's just a prank!

It's just a social experiment made for "teh lulz".

Something something dank memes.

"This is brilliant! The most genius cinematic masterpiece of our generation!" - Neogaf 2016

Krejlooc

Banned

"This is brilliant! The most genius cinematic masterpiece of our generation!" - Neogaf 2016

"That 'This is spinal tap' documentary? I can't believe a band like that actually existed!" -Cuburt

KHarvey16

They made a movie with the money they raised. How are people not understanding this?

Cuburt

Of course they were trolling.

It just so happens that the trolling was how they were making the movie.
And the really fools are not the people who paid money and thought they got scammed but the people who thought people got scammed and laughed at them because of how brilliant a plan it was.

Meta^2

Cyan

Banned
And the really fools are not the people who paid money and thought they got scammed but the people who thought people got scammed and laughed at them because of how brilliant a plan it was.

Meta^2

The people laughing and thinking this was brilliant don't think people got scammed.

If you watch the trailer from the OP it's really obviously not a scam.

KHarvey16

Meta^2

People laughed because it's clever. No one was scammed.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Holy fuck how are people not understanding this?

No one has time for insignificant things like reading the OP or watching a trailer. Gotta get those anti-crowdfunding shitposts out there real quick or nobody will know how you feel!

Catvoca

Banned
This is brilliant, such a crazy long con. Like imagine having to suffer in silence through people hating you and posting your personal details while you're actually working hard on the thing people paid for, it's madness. Major props to these guys for going through with this, I hope the movie is good now!

McBryBry

Jesus is it that hard to watch a movie trailer or read a thread?

> Guys ask for money to make movie

> Guys get money

> Guys disappear with occasional photos of what looks to be them blowing the money

> 2 years later, they post video saying they aren't making the movie

> Turns out said video is part of the trailer for the movie, which is actually being made, and is about 3 guys who ask for money for a movie and blow it all.

It was all a part of the plan. Nobody got scammed. Nobody got cheated. The movie matches their original pitch video perfectly.

KHarvey16

No one has time for insignificant things like reading the OP or watching a trailer. Gotta get those anti-crowdfunding shitposts out there real quick or nobody will know how you feel!

That's actually the crux of this I think. There's a strange desire out there from some people to identify crowdfunding scams (or potential scam, which to them is all crowdfunding) and jump in to let people know how dumb everyone who contributed is and how kickstarter is for idiots.

Kater

Banned
Trailer tells me it's an amusing film. The subject fits right in with current issues too. Brilliant move, even if it was very ballsy.

Is it a straight-to-DVD kind of deal or will they show the film at least in the states (and possibly elsewhere too in the future)?

MUnited83

For you.
This has to be the most bloody genius idea for a scam I have ever heard of.

You mean not doing a scam, spend money in the production of a actual movie with the meta of the theme of the movie being not making the movie?

Not a great scam idea there :p

Kater

Banned
I mean it was made for $78k I'm pretty sure this isn't gonna be in theaters. :p

Shame if so, would have liked to see it on the big screen. But I bet someone in Hollywood is going to make a film based on it, that much is for certain. :p

Korey

Isn't it not meta then? Since they actually made a movie, so the donators weren't scammed.

It would only be meta if the movie was about them making a crowdfunded movie in the movie.

McBryBry

Isn't it not meta then? Since they actually made a movie, so the donators weren't scammed.

It would only be meta if the movie was about them making a crowdfunded movie in the movie.

That's literally the exact plot.

Edit: beat

SpaceWolf

Banned
You mean not doing a scam, spend money in the production of a actual movie with the meta of the theme of the movie being not making the movie?

Not a great scam idea there :p

I was actually joking in that post, although to be fair I DID assume they were releasing a documentary on themselves NOT making a movie as a comment on the Kickstarter process (hence why it could have worked as a scam) as opposed to making a fully fledged film in its own right, so my bad for that. :p

Acosta

giphy.gif

Dylan

Interesting.

But I just watched a bunch of their short films on youtube and they are all not funny.

This is a brilliant idea and looks a pretty fun watch. Masterfully exposes the average NeoGAF user's attention span and OP comprehension.

Wait, that wasn't the meta commentary?

whitehawk

Banned
This is amazing, and the trailer actually looks like a good movie.

So they scammed people, but they actually didn't. It's also a movie sort of based on a true story.

It's smart. A movie like this wouldn't get much press without the original kickstart + bait and switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom