• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$78,000 crowdfunded for movie, uses the money on champagne. But 2 years later...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This is literally the best thing ever.

All the gaffers still falling for it in this thread is literally the second best thing ever.

They already had a reputation, it'd be weirder that they had to donate to themselves and make their own videos bitching them out, to be honest.

Oh did they? I didn't realize that... well maybe I'm wrong then, I thought they were just random people.

BigDes

I dunno what is funnier

The people in this thread where it explains how this wasn't a scam immediately turning around and calling it a scam

or

The people who are so above crowd funding and using this as some sort of damning indication of how crowd funding is always a scam.

Maximo

A meta movie about making a movie about how they spent all their money on things that weren't the movie and everyone's reaction to it? This sounds great.

jadedm17

Now that's meta.

140742_original.jpg

Watch Community, on Hulu now.

DOWN

Banned
I don't get why some posts are saying they're bad guys? The trailer makes it look smart while also fulfilling the promise of making an actual film with decent production

I think it was a clever sort of friendly prank

Maximo

I don't get why some posts are saying they're bad guys? The trailer makes it look smart while also fulfilling the promise of making an actual film with decent production

I think it was a clever sort of friendly prank

Just proves some people don't read OP,s or links put in them.

Biske

I approve

If you crowd fund something you should expect like a 90% percent chance of it being a scam, especially if it's a movie. (I backed Unsung Story and eeeeh shit is what it is)

If you must crowd fund, give em five bucks and relax.

Don't invest any kind of real money in such an easily manipulated system.

I approve

If you crowd fund something you should expect like a 90% percent chance of it being a scam, especially if it's a movie. (I backed Unsung Story and eeeeh shit is what it is)

If you must crowd fund, give em five bucks and relax.

Don't invest any kind of real money in such an easily manipulated system.

hey you should read more than the title of the OP

it wasn't a scam, it never was

also your statistics about 90% chance of crowdfunding being a scam isn't true when the majority of campaigns that are funded end up coming out and delivering. You only give a fuck about the three that didn't and use that as your "gotcha" to everyone else when talking about crowdfuning

Biske

hey you should read more than the title of the OP

it wasn't a scam, it never was

also your statistics about 90% chance of crowdfunding being a scam isn't true when the majority of campaigns that are funded end up coming out and delivering. You only give a fuck about the three that didn't and use that as your "gotcha" to everyone else when talking about crowdfuning

Lol I get it, I've seen the original pitch and I think it's all brilliant.

I also realize there are many great results of crowd funding. I also backed Wasteland 2

My point is people should be skeptical of crowd funding and not get too invested in it in case things go badly. Should be viewed as giving people money in hopes something happens.

Relax.

No lie, this looks like a pretty decent flick. I somehow doubt they pulled it off with only 78 grand, but still. It was a brilliant idea that took some serious backbone to actually go through with.

No lie, this looks like a pretty decent flick. I somehow doubt they pulled it off with only 78 grand, but still. It was a brilliant idea that took some serious backbone to actually go through with.

It does look pretty solid. The original pitch video mentioning they were going to create the film regardless makes me suspect they actually already had it funded through other means, but the crowdfunding was a necessary extra step just to make the whole (brilliant) joke work.

Kathian

Banned
Looks great. People realise its a film right? Like they spent time on this and invested the money - its not like its just them in a room getting drunk and high for 90 minutes - so why fraud is even being brought up I have no idea.

I mean we even have people saying its 'bullshit' - that's the fucking point!

A family friend of ours was just diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease. He has months, maybe a few years at most. He's in his mid 30s with an 8 yr old daughter. The only item on his "bucket list" is to take a Disney Cruise with his wife and daughter before he's incapable. How hard is it to setup a gofundme for something like this? Are they ever successful?

santi_yo

Thread title made me believe it was a real scam. After reading the whole thing, I really dig this project. Cool pitch.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
These guys are geniuses. Knowing the real life prank had happened made me appreciate the trailer much more.

xandaca

Can't watch the video, but as long as they produced something feature-ish, haven't they technically fulfilled their remit? Who'd invest in just a title anyhow?

flkraven

Can't watch the video, but as long as they produced something feature-ish, haven't they technically fulfilled their remit? Who'd invest in just a title anyhow?

It's not just technically, they delivered. It's not so much a documentary as it is a moc. There is clearly a script, direction, and actors. It's amazing.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Sounds like something Abed would do if Community were still on and they hadn't already done an episode about making a movie about making a movie where the audience is the cast and the cast is the audience.

I could see Abed kick starting his meta film about not actually making a film.

So, was Indiegogo in on this or what? How did they keep the backers at bay who were possibly demanding refunds when FND made the false statement about the movie not being made? Well, I guess you can't squeeze blood from a (fictional) turnip, but still.

gamz

So, was Indiegogo in on this or what? How did they keep the backers at bay who were possibly demanding refunds when FND made the false statement about the movie not being made? Well, I guess you can't squeeze blood from a (fictional) turnip, but still.

Even if they were how in the hell did they handle the refunds? I mean can you get refunds?

Whatever the case It's an amazing idea.

Even if they were how in the hell did they handle the refunds? I mean can you get refunds?

Indidgogo refund policy:
INDIEGOGO said:
When are contributions not eligible for a refund?

Contributions cannot be refunded by Indiegogo, if any of the following are true:

The contribution funds have already been transferred to the campaign owner
The campaign has ended
The perk associated with the contribution has been fulfilled
Indiegogo determines that there has been an abuse of our Terms of Use, or the refund policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom