• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$78,000 crowdfunded for movie, uses the money on champagne. But 2 years later...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure most people's confusion comes from the thread title which says they used the money on champagne. If you continue with that logic, the OP is pretty poorly worded with unsourced quotes, and without watching the linked trailer, I was unable to tell what truly happened.

This quote: "disappearing with the investment, frittering it away and then making a film about it" makes no real sense. You can guarantee they used the money on the film. The article itself is quite confusing.

Besides that, this is a fantastic experiment.

Stoze

Really clever, they admittedly got me when I first saw the apology video a few weeks ago. I don't know how good the movie will be, I've seen a few movies made by sketch comedy groups after they get popular and they almost all suck. FND are really funny guys even though I think I've outgrown a lot of their stuff over the years.

I'm surprised they waited so long after the apology video to show the trailer, they took so much shit from fans.

edit: And yeah that is a terrible thread title for explaining the situation.

Huh... I was wondering where FND went. I'll have to see the trailer when I get home to make a full judgement. Something this trollish seems exactly like something they would do. FND is like Smosh, except they didn't go to shit and pander to kids. I always missed their type of early youtube humour.

That's fantastic! Even a documentary about blowing the money would be cool, but it's brilliant that they made a dramatic movie about not making the movie.

Bookoo

I find it funny people getting that upset about donating to it after watching the original pitch video.

Part of me thinks the whole indiegogo thing was more of a marketing thing and that not that many people actually donated to it.

ezekial45

Banned
So just to be clear;

They did in fact make a movie, but it's about them not making the movie and squandering all the cash (which didn't happen in real life).

Is that correct?

So just to be clear;

They did in fact make a movie, but it's about them not making the movie and squandering all the cash (which didn't happen in real life).

Is that correct?

Yes, they acted like they squandered the money though to troll the fuck out of the backers

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The trailer reveals that they actually made a movie. It's obviously scripted and well shot. It's not some shoestring documentary that was made after the fact. They got the $78,000, and made the movie using that money.

But it turns out, the plot of the movie is about a group of guys who piss away their crowdfunding. Those guys happen to be themselves, and the movie they didn't make is the movie they did make.

The apology video that says that they didn't make the movie is really just viral marketing that people fell for because it was so incredibly plausible.

This really is genius.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So they scammed a bunch of people out of their hard earned money to get drunk off of fancy wine. Grade A 21st century charlatans.

ZeroX03

Banned
ITT: people scamming themselves by not properly reading articles.

This is great idea and takes quite a bit of willpower to weather two years of hate for the payoff. Film doesn't look bad for the budget either, that's really very little money considering the scope. Really smart idea.

So META tho.

You clumsily not willing to admit you misunderstood initially is almost as funny.

yeah this whole concept is really clever, the movie itself looks a little goofy but conceptually it's genius

also again for those who don't understand: they didn't blow the money, they made an over the top comedy about them blowing the money. it isn't a "documentary" or even a faux-documentary, it's done in that style you see a lot on youtube where the filmmakers play themselves in absurd fictional scenarios. the movie is a parody of kickstarter scams, and they released a fake video saying they blew the money as a pr/viral marketing stunt. if you watch the trailer it's pretty clear they put the money into the movie, 80 grand really isn't that much money.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm calling total bullshit on this.

The whole thing was a set up. They funded their own indie gogo, then astroturfed all the comments complaining about being scammed. There is no possible way that initial pitch could have raised 70k.

Now look at all the free marketing from sites reporting on how brilliant it was.

batbeg

This is literally the best thing ever.

All the gaffers still falling for it in this thread is literally the second best thing ever.

The whole thing was a set up. They funded their own indie gogo, then astroturfed all the comments complaining about being scammed. There is no possible way that initial pitch could have raised 70k.

Now look at all the free marketing from sites reporting on how brilliant it was.

They already had a reputation, it'd be weirder that they had to donate to themselves and make their own videos bitching them out, to be honest.

ZeroX03

Banned

Ah the old "actually guys it was even more of a conspiracy".

Was very nice of them to donate 5% of their budget to Indiegogo and 5% to the credit card companies!

Pretty brilliant troll. Just a shame that most of the time people actually get fucked with crowdfunding.

Stats on that?

Kthulhu

Let us know when you find some proof.

How much money was raised for potato salad? How much?!

thats the sort of next level trolling that makes me jealous

pretend to piss away 75k in order to make a movie about pissing away 75k lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom