• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Predict how many PSVR will be sold to customers this year (My bet: 1M)

Recent annalist have predicted that Sony will ship 6 million units this year, that same analyst also predicted that PCVR headset (Oculus and Vive) would have sold half of that in the same year, or about 3 million units.

To my knowledge neither Valve nor Facebook have said how many actually headsets they have sold so we can only speculate and if we do it would seem that HTC Vive has sold about 100,000 units so far while Facebook is rumored to expect to sell about 400,000 units of the Oculus by year's end.

Assuming Facebook meets its rumored mark and HTC can double its sales during the holidays (getting to 200,000 Vives sold), then we could say that about 600,000 PCVR headsets were sold in 2016, if you do the math that is 5 times less than the analyst predicted and seeing how the buzz for VR seemed to have almost completely died down and these companies are not sharing sales figures, that VR or at least PCVR is doing poorly compared to what was expected.

Now if the same ratio of disappointment holds true for PSVR as well (selling 5 times less than analysts were predicting then it should sell about 1.2 million, but this were prediction made before the Playstation Pro was announced to be release this year. Now unlike most I don't think the Pro will cannibalism PSVR too badly, specially since it is coming a month after but I do think it will have a negative effect.

So in conclusion, I believe that by December 31st Sony will have shipped and sold to costumers about 1 million PSVR units, about half during the launch month and the rest during the holidays.

750k ceiling for sales in the next year is my guess. Too many (likely) good non-VR games coming out in the next ~6 month stretch to have people convinced to drop hundreds on a peripheral instead.

MrToast

I think that'll depend on how much more they market it, but it'll be safe to assume that it'll outsell the Vive and Rift, likely well within the first month.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I think it really depends on how well the VR works on vanilla PS4's..I'd say 750,000-1mil sounds realistic.

100k max through the holidays and it will slow past then as the experiences fail to deliver and people realize how infrequently they want a vr experience.

Kysen

300k max and expecting first party software to dry up within 3 months. Just like the vita Sony will just stop talking about it.

250k in the launch window and then it'll slowly die over the next 12 months.

Sony should have kept the momentum going on the traditional games side, instead of worrying about an expensive peripheral that casual gamers don't care about.

400k for the holidays seems doable. I think it'll struggle for the next year if something big doesn't release exclusively to it though.

Zombine

Banned
Threeve.jpg

jrcbandit

300k max and expecting first party software to dry up within 3 months. Just like the vita Sony will just stop talking about it.

Much more in line with my expectations. The PSVR pre-orders are not sold out due to huge demand but because there weren't that many units in the first place. I dunno where sites are getting that Sony will ship 6 million units lol.. I'd expect less than 1 million units shipped before the end of 2016 and only about 300-500k units in sales. People are much more excited about the Pro and I doubt they want to spend $800 total for both.

AmuroChan

However many they can manufacture. Has Sony even confirmed that there will be a second batch of shipment before the end of the year? I know they held some stock for the launch, but pre-orders are sold out everywhere, at least in the US.

Pif

Banned
I really hope 1mil at least.

It is starting wirh a strong line up and some AAA dedicated content already on day 1 and beyond.

I wanna see a 2nd wave of VR games taking good advantage of the tech.

I'd be all over anything naughty dog and VR.

Reallink

Launch production run has to be really, really, really small to sell out in 5 minutes. For reference PS2, PS3, and 360 launch allocations in NA were in the neighborhood 400k-500k units and their preorders all seemed easier to get a hold of. That's in addition to them being much more well known/advertised and probably in much higher general demand. PSVR is still unknown to the larger mainstream. I'd not be surprised if world wide launch is as low as 250k unit.

rubes7844

Banned
Launch production run has to be really, really, really small to sell out in 5 minutes. For reference PS2, PS3, and 360 launch allocations in NA were in the neighborhood 400k-500k units and their preorders all seemed easier to get a hold of. That's in addition to them being much more well known/advertised and probably in much higher general demand. PSVR is still unknown to the larger mainstream. I'd not be surprised if world wide launch is as low as 250k unit.
Who actually preordered any of those systems online?

Considering how expensive this thing is and may be seen as a gimmick by others I really doubt it will break 500K and that's being optimistic.

Having a cost barrier even though it's cheaper than Vive and Oculus is not going to help it. VR is still imo not ready for the mainstream.

6 million doesn't sound impossible based on a fiscal year rather than an calendar year considering the PS4 sales. I'm assuming Sony are going to do a similar marketing approach to what they did with PS4 or more along the lines of what Nintendo did with the Wii. As the initial launch will primarily be enthusiasts who will cover the initial shipments there isn't much need to do a hard push on marketing, plus a big factor will be getting it into peoples homes to let the product sell itself with some mild marketing close to release to get it in peoples minds, then when they have a decent coverage and sales start to slow then push hard on marketing.

Only thing I can see preventing this is if the larger market has a big physical problem with VR, this is an unknown at the moment. Also how heavy the larger press decide to go negative against it as scare stories about new technology always sell better.

For calendar year and assuming everything goes well between 2 to 3 million.

AtkO

After all the cancelled preorders I'm hearing about I think they'll be lucky to sell 1K.

The usual "2 of my friend cancelled last week" or is there some source to this?

OT: They'll get one from me when Horizon Zero Dawn comes out and they announce it's compatible. Love me some walking/hunting simulator in the world in Horizon! <3

Kysen

Unlike Nintendo you can't count on Sony to back their hardware for years on end when its failing. The moment 3rd party bails PSVR is done.

Lister

Banned
6 million doesn't sound impossible based on a fiscal year rather than an calendar year considering the PS4 sales. I'm assuming Sony are going to do a similar marketing approach to what they did with PS4 or more along the lines of what Nintendo did with the Wii. As the initial launch will primarily be enthusiasts who will cover the initial shipments there isn't much need to do a hard push on marketing, plus a big factor will be getting it into peoples homes to let the product sell itself with some mild marketing close to release to get it in peoples minds, then when they have a decent coverage and sales start to slow then push hard on marketing.

Only thing I can see preventing this is if the larger market has a big physical problem with VR, this is an unknown at the moment. Also how heavy the larger press decide to go negative against it as scare stories about new technology always sell better.

Yeah, no. They aren't going to move 6 million units of a peripheral that costs mroe than the console, at the same time that they are selling a new more powerful console.

Top Bottom