• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Predict how many PSVR will be sold to customers this year (My bet: 1M)

Yeah, no. They aren't going to move 6 million units of a peripheral that costs mroe than the console, at the same time that they are selling a new more powerful console.

You don't need to sell the console as well when there is 43.5 million of them that have been sold.

Edit: I don't really think it likely myself but it's not impossible the PS4 sold 7 million in about the same period, there is a larger market saturation and there will be a cross over of sales between the two new products and/or appeal to different markets. Plus there is the holiday period during the time frame.

I would be expecting around the 750k range before the end of this calendar year. It's next year I'll be worried about, I expect sales for all three dedicated VR units to have dried up over the course of 2017.

I think past the initial burst at the start it will settle at around 300k...the price is still way too high and the games library is still pretty light (if u count full experiences) ...once it hits the 300 mark i think you will see some more sales but i will be very suprised if it does any better.

Another factor...pspro a month later....some people will make the choice to get 1 but not the other as its too expensive.

Vice

100-150K. Many interested in VR have already tried an existing headset and the games for PSVR don't look like they'll be incredibly captivating. Once RE7 comes out it will get a small boost.

An install base of less than a million would represent a major issue for content creators actually making money on the platform, so I'm hoping it hits that milestone.

Sub 500,000

Remember this is a device that is more expensive than the base console by a fairly decent amount, being marketed to people who are historically much more frugal.

blakep267

400-500k by the end of the year. Like while there are a bunch of PS4's out there, it's still a very very expensive peripheral.

Unlike Nintendo you can't count on Sony to back their hardware for years on end when its failing. The moment 3rd party bails PSVR is done.

This is the number 1 reason I think I'll wait to get a psvr. Even if the experience turns out to be great, I don't trust Sony to keep it alive if things go pair shaped. Self fulfilling prophecy? Maybe, but if it is. That's sonys problem. Not mine.

Launch production run has to be really, really, really small to sell out in 5 minutes. For reference PS2, PS3, and 360 launch allocations in NA were in the neighborhood 400k-500k units and their preorders all seemed easier to get a hold of. That's in addition to them being much more well known/advertised and probably in much higher general demand. PSVR is still unknown to the larger mainstream. I'd not be surprised if world wide launch is as low as 250k unit.

Those systems came out at a very different time and didn't have worldwide launches.

I'll go with 1 million this year. The launch lineup is incredible.

naitosan

I honestly don't think they'll make to 1 million, let alone 500k. Maybe somewhere under that. PS4 Pro is almost here so either people don't want PS4 Pro, doesn't own Oculus Rift or Vive, aren't prone to motion sickness will likely get one. I'm also very skeptical with Sony's support on their peripherals, like EyeToy, PS Move, etc.

I'll be gladly to be wrong, I do hope VR gaming will take off.

It's gonna hit 2 million I can feel it.

Can you power up the ps4 straight to psvr? No need for a TV if you have psvr? And can all non psvr games be played via cinema mode?

I'll be shocked if it's over 500,000 personally. I'd like to be wrong, of course, but it still seems very expensive, and the early-adopter crowd likely already has one of the other two headsets. Plus, the only game that really seems to sell the PSVR so far is Rez Infinite.

Taker666

Depends on word of mouth and how hard Sony are going to push it.

Sony's dumb decision to release the Pro alongside it this year (and barely mention VR during the Playstation event) makes it hard to know what their intentions are when it comes to what the intend to push this holiday.

I think it'll probably have a bigger install base than either the rift or vive do by the end of the year....but hard to say by how much.

Alienfan

Maybe not Kinect success, but close to 1 million, I just hope Sony continue to support it unlike most things they've put out

Oersted

Can't tell. Preorder numbers are high,mainstream media is largely indifferent and I saw zero ads anywhere.

No clue really.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
It'll sell Vita numbers. A decent launch at somewhere around 500k worldwide, then it'll drop like a rock.

Tagyhag

200k max.

1 million in 3 months is insane. I'd love to be proven wrong, because that means the mainstream is ready for high-end VR, but it's still not an easy sell.

vpance

It'll sell Vita numbers. A decent launch at somewhere around 500k worldwide, then it'll drop like a rock.

Vita sold 1.2M a few weeks post launch and over 2.2M 6 months out. That would be quite good for PSVR.

I think PSVR will be the best selling VR headset on the market. Thats not saying much compared to Oculus and Vive. I am thinking like 500k max.

I am just not seeing the excitement like I was when the PS4 was announced. I am also wondering about how good the 3rd party support will be for post launch.

Top Bottom