• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Angry Joe review disgusted me

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have been playing Deus Ex Human Revolution for a few days and really really enjoying it so i decided to check some reviews out to see how this game was received back in the day.

I watched Angry Joe's review and, well, I'm pretty disgusted. At some point he makes a joke about how there's prostitutes in the game and how "fake" they look and that he hates fake. After that totally weird comment the video proceeds with a montage of game footage beating up prostitutes with "smack my bitch up" as background music. Then the guy just goes on like if it's nothing.

You can see all this from the 3:15 minute mark
https://youtu.be/lq70-K8UUA8

Am I the only one that finds this completely fucked up? My guess is yes seeing how nobody in the comment section of the video complains about it. But that's YouTube for you, i guess, so my hope is I'm not the only one at least here on GAF.

I know, just a videogame, but still, I think nobody would make this sort of video unless they have something against prostitutes, right? Or am i making to much a big deal out of it? I think it's sick.

Got confused there for a second lol as I thought it was the new Deus Ex review and thought "Wow Joe's lost a lot of weight" then noticed it was from 5 years ago haha. I need to get some sleep 😂😂

Thing is, I get what you're saying OP... But we do live in an industry that allows you to have sex with a prostitute and then shoot them to get your money back - and I suspect a lot of people coming in here to condemn this have almost certainly done it.

So...

sjay1994

Its a shitty joke from a 5 year old video.

I haven't followed him in a while, but for the most part his content improved from what it was 5 years ago.

Soulflarz

Banned
Being brazilan myself, im incredibly curious on what exactly you mean by this, even more so that Joe isnt even Brazilian.

I'm assuming hes using hue as ha, like a lot do online without any real context to it. Happens.

edit: wrote my thoughts more coherently below on the actual topic

dubq

Its a shitty joke from a 5 year old video.

I haven't followed him in a while, but for the most part his content improved from what it was 5 years ago.
Misogyny doesn't have an expiry date. Pretty fucking disgusting regardless of when he created it.

I'm not disgusted, but can understand your feelings. I'd suggest you avoid his videos, and remove them from your watch history so it isn't suggested to you.

Yeah, if you think beating up prostitutes is funny, you might be.

As stated this isn't a new thing in video games and is in fact a feature of one of the best selling franchises in the industry. It can't be that outrages to people if it's been featured in gaming for at least three generations.

dubq

As stated this isn't a new thing in video games and is in fact a feature of one of the best selling franchises in the industry. It can't be that outrages to people if it's been featured in gaming for at least three generations.
With comments like this, the thread is already a write off.

Soulflarz

Banned
Misogyny doesn't have an expiry date. Pretty fucking disgusting regardless of when he created it.

Yes but what hes saying is 5 years is a lot of time to improve- especially with the world becoming more aware.

We aren't exactly cutting through old threads and banning everyone who used "thats gay" on GAF- a huge portion of starting accounts would be gone if they posted how they did then in 2016.

Again, it's still tasteless and I don't really care for the joke at all, but we should keep the time period in context.

oo7

giphy.gif

I'm on that weird part of gaf again.

You preachy people really gotta know what battles to pick. This seems petty as hell.

hesido

Thing is, I get what you're saying OP... But we do live in an industry that allows you to have sex with a prostitute and then shoot them to get your money back - and I suspect a lot of people coming in here to condemn this have almost certainly done it.

So...

I fucking hate that in the GTA series, and killing innocent people and gaining some sort of reward from it has been the biggest turn off for me from the franchise.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I'll never understand the appeal. Obnoxious, jaded, dramatic and generally unpleasant.

Alienfan

It's very weird, in his Metro Last Light review he called out the way the game objectified its female characters ,and then you have this Deus Ex review...

But then again, he received a shit ton of back-lash for the Metro review

Seemed like a harmless joke to me? It's from a 5 year old video that no one had a problem with at the time. Seems like a waste of energy getting upset about it, gives it more credence than it deserves.

SoulUnison

Banned
I love how that game applied "trained combatant" animation to whoever Adam was using a take down on, so you could go to punch a little old lady and she'd try to bust out black belt karate holds, or something.

I fucking hate that in the GTA series, and killing innocent people and gaining some sort of reward from it has been the biggest turn off for me from the franchise.

Oh no. I dislike that aspect too... And it seems more curtailed in GTAV, so I suspect Rockstar realise it's not something that will fly as much anymore.

Cherry

Banned
I love how that game applied "trained combatant" animation to whoever Adam was using a take down on, so you could go to punch a little old lady and she'd try to bust out black belt karate holds, or something.

I think this is why it's so funny to be honest.

It's very weird, in his Metro Last Light review he called out the way the game objectified its female characters ,and then you have this Deus Ex review...

Almost if those reviews are years apart and he'd learned something in between.

Nah...grab your pitchforks!

Welfare

Didn't realize Joe was running for politics. It's a joke from 5 years ago and he has called out games on their portrayal of women before.

TarNaru33

Banned
Joe's skits aren't funny and his reviews aren't anywhere near good enough to make me sit through them.

Okay.

So...

This, I do not see the issue with it, especially since it was 2011 video you are getting upset with and I haven't seen him make a video with such "disgusting" humor since then. I do have dark sense of humor though, while I didn't find it funny, I didn't find it "disgusting" either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom