• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Angry Joe review disgusted me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you folks really need to quit videogames if you're offended by everything they offer.

Seriously people. Stop with the being offended by everything. Please.

I know this is a drive-by with no real contribution but come on guys. Let one slip every now and then, Nobody's beating up prostitutes because a game technically enables them to.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Sexists aren't against women. Maybe come back in five years?

I get what your trying to say. Sexists are not against women overtly, they are for enforcing preset gender roles and power structures that limit the female's ability to advance in society or be considered in a fair or equal manner.

But Joe's joke has nothing to do with that, and is more about making fun of prostitutes in the game itself, with at best immature humor.

I don't think it says much about who Joe was then in real life, and especially what he is now when society has, atleast partially advanced to be more mindful of more viewpoints. And so i don't think its fair to castigate him, when at worst it was a one off joke that was never actually enforced by anything more.

hesido

Games are made for all sorts of people, games which either to show the horrors of war and "what mankind has wrought" like Spec Ops/BioShock or other games where you can fuck around in a virtual world where there are no consequences. I see no difference from jingoist freedom-boner 360 no-scoping my way through some woefully ill-equipped foreign soldiers in a Call of Duty sort of game for some contrived reason (them ayyrabs got nukes!) to running over pedestrians in a Grand Theft Auto game.

It's not that much of a problem that GTA lets you do it, as an open sandbox game, it's that the player is rewarded, and therefore, encouraged. And that's a turn off for me.

Being a prostitute =/= Being a member of a race

One you choose to become (or are forced to, but that's a different issue entirely) and the other you can't choose. To persecute a race is the same as persecuting someone for existing. To beat up prostitutes is violence in real life, but it's not nearly the same thing as racism or sexism.

Ah, well, that's precisely the opinion i disagree with and what i thought moved AJ to make this joke, that he thinks less of a person because she's a prostitute.

And to people saying if i feel bad about the cops i kill in GTA well, obviously not, it is a videogame. But if somebody would make a YouTube video saying "ah, these fucking pigs! All cops are bastards, i hate them!" Then I'm sure some of you would not like that either. Not because of the stupid videogame violence which i don't give two shits about, but because of what is being underlined with those jokes.

Vorheez

If you think coming down on Angry Joe for a bad joke he made five years ago is the big "push" the world needs to overcome its problems, then you are sorely mistaken. How about instead of jerking off your morality by posting these overreaction threads on gaf, you actually do something proactive in your community? Go out and actually try to make the world a better place, instead of directing all of your passion into some useless shit like this. I went to a workshop today held by a local abuse support center and learned how to help people who were sexually abused, what did you do OP?

If you are truly "disgusted" by this then go outside for 10 minutes. Actually, you don't even need to do that, just turn on the news. There are far worse things going on right now than the Angry Joe show. You're just searching for things to be mad about because you want to feel important, and are more interested in the recognition you'll receive than the actual steps necessary to make a change. I mean, instead of attacking the people who play the games, why not go after the ones who make them? Better yet, why not look at the social and political problems that helped to create the patriarchal system which makes it seem ok for men to act like this towards women? Or, you could attack angry joe on neogaf and just have endless pages of overreactions with no actual actions... That will accomplish something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom