• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A friend wants me to get her pregnant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nasax

I never thought I would ever start a thread here much less about this subject but here it goes.

I'm 34 and she's 32. She dropped this bombshell on me like a few weeks ago and I rejected her at first but over time, I felt like what if she missed the opportunity in having a kid, because of me? So then I changed my mind weeks later and told her I would consider doing it. Anyway we're both college educated professionals, she's getting her masters so it's not like we're kids. I don't have any children and neither does she. She rarely dates because of how busy she is with school and work. I've also known her close to a decade now, since we both went to the same university.

So like I said before, I originally rejected her but I changed my mind. I told her to give me until the summer, so we can think this over, to see where our lives are at that point of next year. That she needs to work on her stress from working and getting her masters, getting her career straightened out and to see how we feel about this in eight months or so. Then if we're still up for it, we can take a long vacation somewhere and do this. She also told me that I can be however much I want in the child's life.

I need your help, GAF. I feel like in my heart I want to do this for her and I really would love to be in the baby's life somehow but we don't even live in the same city either. I feel like I'm blind about the situation and would appreciate anything that opens my eyes to some things that I'm not getting right now. Thanks.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
You can't sign away your parentage. You are financially responsible for that kid. Don't do it unless you don't mind that.

Defuser

Don't do it man, why does she want to have a kid with you when she could go to a sperm bank? You ain't denying her anything.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Not enough details in the OP.

Are you two romantically involved? We're you at one time?

Everything about this screams no. What do you mean she won't have kids if you say no? This thread is really weird.

Sliver

Why wouldn't she go to a sperm bank? You could end up paying child support, so give it a good think first.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I got asked this by an ex. I said no. I sort of regret it now.

Why the fuck are you even considering this? Seriously, fucking why? You want to bring a child into this world that you's not even really going to be a part of?

LaJ9Kmo.gif

Sorcerer

Do you want to complicate your life in such a way? What if things turn bitter and she demands child support?
What if you meet the love of your life and have to explain this child to her?

This is a terrible fucking idea that could ruin your life. Do not do it. If she wants a child she should adopt or find a boyfriend/husband.

She can get a donation from the sperm bank if she can't find a willing participant.
I'd feel pretty conflicted about having a son/daughter without raising them, especially if the mom was a friend I'd continue seeing.

Lenz44

Banned
I never thought I would ever start a thread here much less about this subject but here it goes.

I'm 34 and she's 32. She dropped this bombshell on me like a few weeks ago and I rejected her at first but over time, I felt like what if she missed the opportunity in having a kid, because of me? So then I changed my mind weeks later and told her I would consider doing it. Anyway we're both college educated professionals, she's getting her masters so it's not like we're kids. I don't have any children and neither does she. She rarely dates because of how busy she is with school and work. I've also known her close to a decade now, since we both went to the same university.

So like I said before, I originally rejected her but I changed my mind. I told her to give me until the summer, so we can think this over, to see where our lives are at that point of next year. That she needs to work on her stress from working and getting her masters, getting her career straightened out and to see how we feel about this in eight months or so. Then if we're still up for it, we can take a long vacation somewhere and do this. She also told me that I can be however much I want in the child's life.

I need your help, GAF. I feel like in my heart I want to do this for her and I really would love to be in the baby's life somehow but we don't even live in the same city either. I feel like I'm blind about the situation and would appreciate anything that opens my eyes to some things that I'm not getting right now. Thanks.

If she doesn't have time to go out on dates, she sure as shit doesn't have enough time to take care of a child.

mkenyon

Banned
Wtf no. Have kids with people you love...her clock ticks.
Having kids with people you respect and are compatible with is way more important.

He gets a baby momma he respects, a kid with a good gene pool, and doesn't have to be tied down. Amazing situation, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom