• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A friend wants me to get her pregnant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubba T

Tell her that's a terrible pick up line

This should be the first post, mostly because I have a hard time believing this is a serious thread.

Her situation doesn't make any sense for her to be having a child right now, and even if it was, why couldn't she just go to a sperm bank like most rational people do? Why would you involve yourself in this potential train wreck?

She's probably stressed out, and her maternal instincts are ringing, causing her not to think straight.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
You do realize that you will be legally obligated to provide financial support for this child, right? There is no "she said I wouldn't have to lol" when the court slaps you with child support.

Makki

Even if you somehow wrote a legal document to get you off of child support, you are going to get fucked after you fuck her.

I say run as well.

pa22word

Having kids with people you respect and are compatible with is way more important.

He gets a baby momma he respects, a kid with a good gene pool, and doesn't have to be tied down. Amazing situation, IMO.

Considering eugenics and social darwinism are failed and frankly damnable ideologies from the 19th century I'd say OP needs to run the fuck away as far as he can, because said girl obvs has some weird issues she needs to work through if that's the reason she want's the OPs spunk.

sgjackson

The only reason you should even remotely consider saying yes is if you meet these three criteria:

-You also want to have a child.
-Your living situation is such that having a child in this way and potentially (probably) paying child support for 18 years is an acceptable outcome if it leads to you having a child.
-You like this person enough that you can easily imagine associating with them on a regular basis (preferably living with them) for the next two decades.

I literally can't imagine a sane person who would check off the above three points in your situation.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
That's ridiculous. There are other avenues for women to get sperm besides begging friends. You may be great friends with her now but you have no idea where the two of you will be 5, 10, 15 years from now and it's not unreasonable that she might eventually pressure you and, failing that, come after you for child support payments. And to top it off you'll have a kid out there that's yours but really isn't but actually is...... this is a huge potential mess for you. Tell her to go to a jizzum bank if she's that desperate for a kid.

This sounds to me like entrapment for child support or something. Am I being too paranoid?

Almost, Im sure. At this point she'll agree to everything until she gets what she wants. Then OP will be hit with those medical bills, child support payments and everything else when she decides to take a break from her career to spend more time with the baby.

Bad, bad idea.

Sorcerer

Having kids with people you respect and are compatible with is way more important.

He gets a baby momma he respects, a kid with a good gene pool, and doesn't have to be tied down. Amazing situation, IMO.

But the child does not get a Father that is committed 100 percent to it. Which in the end is the most important part.

Ric Flair

Banned
I never thought I would ever start a thread here much less about this subject but here it goes.

I'm 34 and she's 32. She dropped this bombshell on me like a few weeks ago and I rejected her at first but over time, I felt like what if she missed the opportunity in having a kid, because of me? So then I changed my mind weeks later and told her I would consider doing it. Anyway we're both college educated professionals, she's getting her masters so it's not like we're kids. I don't have any children and neither does she. She rarely dates because of how busy she is with school and work. I've also known her close to a decade now, since we both went to the same university.

So like I said before, I originally rejected her but I changed my mind. I told her to give me until the summer, so we can think this over, to see where our lives are at that point of next year. That she needs to work on her stress from working and getting her masters, getting her career straightened out and to see how we feel about this in eight months or so. Then if we're still up for it, we can take a long vacation somewhere and do this. She also told me that I can be however much I want in the child's life.

I need your help, GAF. I feel like in my heart I want to do this for her and I really would love to be in the baby's life somehow but we don't even live in the same city either. I feel like I'm blind about the situation and would appreciate anything that opens my eyes to some things that I'm not getting right now. Thanks.

Don't do it, would you want to live the life of that kid? One parent who only sort of comes around when he feels like it? You'd grow to resent that fucker. Also, it's always a good idea to bust one out before answering the question of whether or not it's worth it. Don't think with your little brain down there, it's almost always wrong about things.

JvNiwz4.gif

nasax

This thread is the smelling salt of my life, thanks GAF. Seems like my initial reaction when I rejected this idea was correct, bringing a child into this world without a solid foundation would be messing up their life as well as me being on the hook for alimony. Yeah I can't bring a child into this world so cold-hearted, like we were getting a pet or something (props to whoever said that). When I do decide to have children, I want to have them with someone I love, and not with a friend I just care for. She does have a lot of options, it's true and I would be on the hook for so many things. I just wanted to plug the void in her life (no pun intended) because I do care for her after knowing her for so many years.

Oh man, I almost lost my damn mind considering going along with this.

This is the dumbest shit I've ever heard. Parenthood is no joke. You're bringing another life to this world but you and your friend talks like it's a game. You have the diploma on the wall but sure as shit it didn't teach you anything.

Hell no do not do that. If she wants a kid, let her go down to the sperm bank. No need to weirdify your friendship.

Then again, your relationship was already weird enough that she would ask you this in the first place and I suspect she knew you would seriously consider saying yes so what the hell do it man :)

whitehawk

Banned
I'd suggest going to a sperm bank first. But if you really want to do this, make sure you talk to a few lawyers and cover yourself.

This thread is the smelling salt of my life, thanks GAF. Seems like my initial reaction when I rejected this idea was correct, bringing a child into this world without a solid foundation would be messing up their life as well as me being on the hook for alimony. Yeah I can't bring a child into this world so cold-hearted, like we were getting a pet or something (props to whoever said that). When I do decide to have children, I want to have them with someone I love, and not with a friend I just care for. She does have a lot of options, it's true and I would be on the hook for so many things. I just wanted to plug the void in her life (no pun intended) because I do care for her after knowing her for so many years.

Everyone take note, we have an op who is following the advice of the thread.

Good job op! You knew the right call, you just needed a little nudge.

Saganator

Honestly, as a 32 year old with no kids and wants to have one or two, I might've considered it myself. Don't beat yourself up over it.

Have you and the girl dated before? If not, why not?

Be firm in this decision, nasax...don't change your mind later. :/

Zetta

No do not do it OP unless you plan to be a part of that childs life. One way or another you will be included in that childs life so if you don't want to be a part of that do not do it, let her go to a sperm bank or you know tell her to get a sailor at the docks.

OP, the only positive outcome is that you stay with your friend, start a relationship, and raise the kid together. If you think you can be happy doing that, then do that, and don't beat around the bush.

If you don't think you can have your friend as your partner, then don't do it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom