• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A friend wants me to get her pregnant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanWinkle

UPDATE for those who haven't read that OP has already replied:

This thread is the smelling salt of my life, thanks GAF. Seems like my initial reaction when I rejected this idea was correct, bringing a child into this world without a solid foundation would be messing up their life as well as me being on the hook for alimony. Yeah I can't bring a child into this world so cold-hearted, like we were getting a pet or something (props to whoever said that). When I do decide to have children, I want to have them with someone I love, and not with a friend I just care for. She does have a lot of options, it's true and I would be on the hook for so many things. I just wanted to plug the void in her life (no pun intended) because I do care for her after knowing her for so many years.

Oh man, I almost lost my damn mind considering going along with this.

Yeah that's probably the problem too.

We never dated but she pursued the hell out of me back in the university and I was extremely attracted to her at the time too but that's all it was and probably still is, just an attraction. She lacks something that never made me pursue her (personality wise) so I never did anything.

Man you guys really laid it on me, thanks to all, I appreciate it.

Nooooooooooooooo! Don't expect a thread from me anymore about this topic. You people really have opened my eyes which is what I wanted because I knew that something wasn't right and I wasn't entirely seeing the big picture about something.

Seriously nothing will come out of this except maybe her feelings getting hurt.

Exactly, I wouldn't be to explain that kind of shit to the woman I love. And like you said, having a child with someone you love just makes it so much more special.

Plus whoever said the kid would resent me for not being in their life, that hit really hard too. Yeah I don't want any child growing up hating me like that. What a horrible mess this would had been. Jesus Christ, thanks for the kick on the ass GAF.

Haha you gave me goosebumps, fuck no. I've done a 180.

I'm really bad at accepting compliments but thanks for the kind words! She has actually said the same thing you said to me so there's truth in what you said.

Crisis averted guys. I appreciate it.

This thread is the smelling salt of my life, thanks GAF. Seems like my initial reaction when I rejected this idea was correct, bringing a child into this world without a solid foundation would be messing up their life as well as me being on the hook for alimony. Yeah I can't bring a child into this world so cold-hearted, like we were getting a pet or something (props to whoever said that). When I do decide to have children, I want to have them with someone I love, and not with a friend I just care for. She does have a lot of options, it's true and I would be on the hook for so many things. I just wanted to plug the void in her life (no pun intended) because I do care for her after knowing her for so many years.

Oh man, I almost lost my damn mind considering going along with this.

Im glad you actually listened to the advice given to you.

liquidtmd

Banned
Originally Posted by nasax
She has actually said the same thing you said to me so there's truth in what you said.

She agrees she was going to bleed you financially for child support and thinks you should go on a sex holiday where you have exclusive anal?

I kid, I kid

Alot of people are doing this thankfully. You have heard of a sperm donor right?

There's a difference between a sperm donor (where the expectation is that they won't necessarily be on the hook for support, etc) vs. a real human being in close proximity willingly giving up his genetic information through sex, which in turn opens him up to many vulnerabilities.

Is that because you need to see the misfortune of others to feel better about your own life?

d737bd76a59cdb82b80fe0c0dbbc5bad.jpg

Xisiqomelir

Refer her to a real s-bank, or one of the various "natty" volunteers on the IVF boards.

Do not do this yourself or I can guarantee you will experience 20 years of wage garnishing courtesy of your "friend".

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Someone asking for and then listening to good advice gives me the warm fuzzies all over...

Good on you op for pumping some breaks and reaching out to get a little clarity for yourself on this situation before diving in.

Obviously you'll want to have a talk with her i'm assuming at some point in the future and - if you feel up to it - could you please do her future child a favor and have a loooooooong conversation about the amount of time, dedication and patience it takes to be a parent? Especially a single parent?? It is exhausting and expensive and full of ridiculous new challenges every day.
Years of evolution make you love the little bastards but if she can't find time to date and meet people then she absolutely doesn't have time to be a mom. Especially on her own. She doesn't need to tick this box just to feel human only to hand the kid over to a nanny or family member for 90% of it's childhood.

Bullet. Dodged. You owe GAF a coke...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
That the OP refused is good...

Goddamn I never would have thought I would someday see a thread in GAF where someone would ask whether it is alright or not to grant a request to impregnate someone/a friend...

....... I mean... akdgakgdaklgdadgalgdalidgaildaldalda can't wrap my head around that....

Absolutely NOT!
You might feel like doing something right at the moment but later on you will TOTALLY regret it!
Damn, just the idea is mindblowing :|
We're not talking about a big favor here..we're talking about BRINGING A CHILD INTO LIFE!

Absolutely NOT!
You might feel like doing something right at the moment but later on you will TOTALLY regret it!
Damn, just the idea is mindblowing :|
We're not talking about a big favor here..we're talking about BRINGING A CHILD INTO LIFE!

He responded early in the thread (the first page?) that GAF was right and he wasn't going to do it.

Tigress

This seems incredibly silly to me. How do you feel about sperm banks?

Maybe in this case it doesn't make sense (it sounds like this mother is quite busy), but certainly not always.

Honestly, I don't like them (you can't figure that out from my posts?). Hell, I could be nice and say if your male partner is infertile or you are lesbian I could understand it (then you are at least bringing the kid into a family with two people who can help raise the kid who are prepared). But there is this option called adopting and there are plenty of kids who need adopting. And too many people anyways, we don't really need to bring more into the world. I don't understand why it's considered so important to have a kid with your own genes. Seems kinda arrogant really.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem here is that if you want to disavow responsibility for the child, you probably need to donate sperm to make it clear it was that kind of arrangement, which is a more costly and less fun procedure than just humping her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom