• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A friend wants me to get her pregnant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigress

I wouldn't do it. Even ignoring other reasons I would not do it cause how is she going to have the time for a kid when she doesn't even have time to date? And also I don't think she realizes how much effort a kid is to take care of. And she wants to do it alone? I have a friend who is a stay at home mom who gets overwhelmed and she has a partner to help her with the kid and no job taking her time. It seems to me your friend isn't considering the kid's welfare more than just her selfish wants of having a kid.

Just cause you want a kid doesn't mean you should have one. OP you should consider the kid she'd have to and not just her feelings on wanting a kid.

One year later...

After showing the original thread. "I found out that she made this deal with one other guy, so we don't know who the father is. I'm heartbroken because I've been taking care of the baby as he/she were my own."

Even if that were not the case, this is a trap. I have some advice for you. Go fap before you make this decision seriously. Make sure your dick isn't fueling it, because it really is not worth it in my opinion.

Tigress

When she says she doesn't have time to date, I'm sure what she means is: "I don't have time to date right now, so I don't have time to meet someone and have children, before it's too late." It doesn't necessarily mean she won't have time to care for a child. But as someone else said, 32 isn't all that old. She's likely got a few years left, to look for someone.

And if she doesn't have time to date now how does she have the time to have a kid now? Not to mention she should find some one she wants to live forever with and raise a kid with. It is unfair to purposely bring in a kid to this world with just one parent nevermind one that didn't even have the time to try to find a sig other to raise the kid with. Dating is less effort and time than raising a kid. And she can't be bothered to take the time to do that.

In the end if she doesn't have a kid it's not the end of the world. We don't need more people on this earth and you don't get everything you want in life. It's more unfair to the kid to be born to some one who can't take care of him or her well than to her not having a kid.

Ingeniero

Just give her your sperm and have a no strings attached contract signed or something.
She can decide then.

No sex, no way.

No. She'll have you for child support for almost two decades. I don't care what she says now. Situations change and so do minds.

Let her go get drunk and have shameful, unprotected, hot, hot sex like most normal people.

I don't think there's any malicious intent from your friend, it's a moronic idea to fulfil a need she thinks she has. But OP you should be truthful to yourself about how you feel about her: she will find someone else and marry, have kids and stop being your friend.

I have this same deal with a friend, but I told her I won't be responsable for the kid. She seems fine with that, but I wouldn't do it without some advice from my lawyer first.

faridmon

One thing I have learnt during this week is that; you cannot fix and help anyone. If she can't have a bay through romance and/or spermbanks, there is nothing you can do. And also this means bigger responsibility and risk in the future.

fixuis

Don't be crazy. You will regret it. Having a child is serious responsibility and should not be taken lightly.

wildfire

Banned
If she doesn't have time to go out on dates, she sure as shit doesn't have enough time to take care of a child.

Come on. Everyone's priorities get altered once a kid enters into their equation. She's not going to be neglectful of him or her. The more pressing question is how much the OP wants to be financially responsible because if he doesn't then this idea is bad.

I mean, you're welcome to ruin your life, OP, but I wouldn't recommend it. You should be be having children with people you love. This is a child, not a pet. It would be different if she had an SO but he couldn't give her children, and so as her friend she asked if you'd donate sperm instead of some random. But, from the sounds of it this isn't the case.

So, to reiterate, don't do this. It's stupid.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Wait... she's just a friend? Not girlfriend? Why the fuck would you want to get her pregnant? Imagine her telling her kid "Your father? Well he kinda fucked me because I asked him to then went about his business."

That sure is going to be nice to hear.

greepoman

Just give her your sperm and have a no strings attached contract signed or something.
She can decide then.

No sex, no way.

In America at least a contract like this holds no water. It's been tried and hasn't held up. She will mostly get child support if she wants it. And you say you trust her but if she's struggling she's going to put her child's priorities over yours. Way too big a risk.

Sulik2

How about try dating her for a while and see if you actually want to maybe get together? It seems like you two might actually both want a relationship if she is comfortable enough to ask you to father a child for her out of the blue and you are actually considering it.

If she just wants a kid because she is getting older, but doesn't want it affect her career don't do it. That kid will be neglected and you will be paying child support.

Presumably the child support issue should be fixable by getting OP's friend to sign a written agreement.

Assuming that gets squared away, I don't see anything wrong with this at all.

Edit:
In America at least a contract like this holds no water. It's been tried and hasn't held up.
Really?! If you happen to have/remember articles on this, it's super interesting. Also seems kind of messed up IMO. A situation like the OP's should be allowed for in the law.

kewlmyc

Hell no, that seems like a terrible idea.

Recommend her to a sperm bank. Or if you do give her a child, do it through a sperm bank.

Ominym

Banned
I cannot believe this question even had to be asked. How dumb are you, OP? Do not, under any circumstances, do this.

greepoman

Really?! If you happen to have/remember articles on this, it's super interesting. Also seems kind of messed up IMO. A situation like the OP's should be allowed for in the law.

http://family-law.freeadvice.com/fa.../artificial_insemination_donor_obligation.htm

It can vary state to state:
However, these protections are limited, as the states that have adopted the 1973 version of the UPA have generally not been willing to extend these protections to a donor when there has not been a physician involved in the insemination process. For example, if the insemination takes place at home, even without intercourse, if a physician was not involved in the process, the donor is not protected by this law.

The scary one:

[A few courts have found that as a policy matter, a biological father should never be able to contract out of his financial obligation to the child, as this only harms the child in the long run.

So just don't risk it basically.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Call me old-fashioned, but I don't think you should be having a kid with somebody unless you plan on marrying them. A kid should be a responsibility, not a favor.

hoos30

Presumably the child support issue should be fixable by getting OP's friend to sign a written agreement.

Assuming that gets squared away, I don't see anything wrong with this at all.

Edit:

The "agreement" would not be worth the paper it is written on. Ask the NYC do it yourself sperm donor how that worked out. He's on the hook for child support for like seven kids.

Send her to the sperm bank. I can't believe this is a real thread.

I'll never understand this whole "friends helping friends have babies" thing. There are, today, more options than ever so why probably ruin a friendship for the selfish idea of having a baby and put this huge burden on someone who you're not even sexually or romantically involved with? Also, guilting someone into doing it... You might even feel flattered and at the same time sorry for the other person because she's missing out on the chance of having a baby...I mean, c'mon.

None of it is something you should care about unless you want to have a family with that person because you love her/him. Even with these reasons the results are often times negative, I would think an adventure like this one is not gonna be a happy one, for all involved but more so for the unborn kid.

Seriously, don't do it.

gtvdave

I am shocked you have not considered the mess this could lead to if you wanted your own child with someone else entirely.

Vire

Honestly, the dumbest thing I've ever even heard suggested.

Let's see, can I ruin a long last friendship, create complications in future relationships, possibly have to pay child support for 18 years... Or just continue to live my perfectly acceptable and normal life.

To be fair, I've often had the thought my life is going to well, I need to do something immeasurably stupid to fuck it up.

Hycran

Banned
Not sure how it works where OP lives, but where i'm from (British Columbia), as soon as you knock a girl up, 17-19 years guaranteed, plus you might have to support them through university while they are a (dependent), so call it 21-22 for safesies.

If she wants to go to a sperm bank, let her go to an actual sperm bank. If you want to have kids but don't want any responsibility, go to a sperm bank.

Sure, do it if you want to make child support payments the next 18 years, and put a kid on the planet without a dad around.

There are options for her if she is serious about it. Just getting pregnant by a friend is not one of them.

She could use a sperm donor if all she really wanted was a child. What's she's clearly after is at least one of two things: insurance (child support) and a father figure in her child's life. With the second one being an afterthought at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom