• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky subreddit shut down, community erupts,

Home of a true classic, I hope it was preserved:

CptRB8GUIAM9asw.jpg

The spectacle and bullshit surrounding this game is truly amazing

i dont understand the "they lied" stuff i really don't bc it seems like the only way to make those people happy would be for game developers in the future to just not talk about the games until they were released. so if a game dev comes up with something they want to show to the public, they are effectively censored.

this would solve all these problems tbh but it is not a world i want to live in.

If the option is, "Be lied to" or "Be silent," I'd personally far prefer silence.

Show me the game when it's ready. No need to talk about features that may or may not be there. Honestly, what is the point of that?

Hektor

Man's Sky is Space Mining Simulator with ground-to-space travel in an open world universe of millions of planets. it is literally this. the game itself is fine. the problem is comparing it to the imaginary perfect game in people's minds, which may be a recent tendency (also see MGSV).

i dont understand the "they lied" stuff i really don't bc it seems like the only way to make those people happy would be for game developers in the future to just not talk about the games until they were released. so if a game dev comes up with something they want to show to the public, they are effectively censored.

this would solve all these problems tbh but it is not a world i want to live in.

Or you know, a dev could show some decency and just come out and say it when features he publicly announced were cut from the game, you know, just like he was able to initially announce the feature, instead of implying that the features are still there all the time leading up to the release.

But apparently, that is a concept to hard to grasp for some people.

When a developer wants to play the "open development card" to garner fans and PR he also gotta fucking put up with the downsides of it, like announcing eventual cuts and disappoint their fans, but of course, that is not what the average dev wants to do cos it would cut into the munny $$$ and the hype. Most devs just want to profit off of the idea but aren't willing to put up with the downsides of it at all.

Just like all those shitty managed kickstarters that act all open and transparent as long as everything works out but the moment trouble arises they start sweeping it under the rug because "Fuck you, got mine"

WadeitOut

CptRB8GUIAM9asw.jpg

The best thing about this is how /u/dogesajob says to put down Call of Duty but his most recent submissions on Reddit are of Infinity Warfare videos. With it saying "It's Here! Call of Duty is back!". He then commented saying IW could be GOTY...

aliengmr

Man's Sky is Space Mining Simulator with ground-to-space travel in an open world universe of millions of planets. it is literally this. the game itself is fine. the problem is comparing it to the imaginary perfect game in people's minds, which may be a recent tendency (also see MGSV).

Not that I personally care about the inflated press for this game, but there were some pretty sketchy things said.

The multiplayer stuff is just weird. They built up the idea that this was a single player game, so it wouldn't have been hard to say "no, you can't meet up with you friends". At no point, in game, is there any trace of a MP component, so it's not as if it was something cut at the last minute. It pretty obvious MP was never intended, so it should not have even been brought up.

I don't get too mad at upselling and I'm pretty forgiving of the process, but Sean Murray clearly had his head up his own ass. Not keeping promises is one thing, but this dude was in la-la land. He really went above and beyond as much as the fans that got over hyped.

Like I said, I'm really not that mad, but I'll be damned if I can't find the backlash against the things Sean Murray was saying, mostly reasonable.

Alienous

The best thing about this is how /u/dogesajob says to put down Call of Duty but his most recent submissions on Reddit are of Infinity Warfare videos. With it saying "It's Here! Call of Duty is back!". He then commented saying IW could be GOTY...

oh wow, haha.

If "vague" mean clearly stating it affirmatively multiple times in multiple interviews...

This isn't even my favorite lie, because lacking MP isn't what makes this game so shockingly bad.

This is one of my favorites -- From this interview.

Originally Posted by interview
"The team programmed some of the physics for aesthetic reasons. For instance, Duncan insisted on permitting moons to orbit closer to their planets than Newtonian physics would allow. When he desired the possibility of green skies, the team had to redesign the periodic table to create atmospheric particles that would diffract light at just the right wavelength."

OK

Yeah that one is gold lol

ChrisD

CptRB8GUIAM9asw.jpg

Holy
I'm laughing so much I'm crying, I have never seen this.

It's like a perfect example of the Internet and crazy fans, not just for NMS, but anything out there.

"worthless, meaningless, Shakespearean tragedy of a life" is amazing because it's so very negative and horrible to say to someone, but it reads so much like a joke that I can't see it as the knocking people down that it's supposed to be.

gfxtwin

Game obviously failed at meeting expectations. Still kinda wish it had an ending, something cool to see to reward players after traveling to the center. The way the devs kept hinting that it would get more interesting the closer to the center you got was some snake oil shit. But I think the shitstorm of hate is a bit outta control at this point. If you look at NMS as something like a more stylized, minimalist version of Space Engine, only you get a ship, space stations, the ability to walk around, planets are more fully realized with life and fauna, and you can shoot stuff, it isn't so terrible. And it's still a good game to relax to after a rough day. It's the videogame equivalent of an ambient electronica album. Only problem is, most gamers have short attention spans and are too into instant stimulation/gratification to appreciate the more positive qualities of the game.

Game obviously failed at meeting expectations. Still kinda wish it had an ending, something cool to see to reward players after traveling to the center. The way the devs kept hinting that it would get more interesting the closer to the center you got was some snake oil shit. But I think the shitstorm of hate is a bit outta control at this point. If you look at NMS as something like a more stylized, minimalist version of Space Engine, only you get a ship, space stations, the ability to walk around, planets are more fully realized with life and fauna, and you can shoot stuff, it isn't so terrible. And it's still a good game to relax to after a rough day. It's the videogame equivalent of an ambient electronica album. Only problem is, most gamers have short attention spans and are too into instant stimulation/gratification to appreciate the more positive qualities of the game.

But it's not.

This game is like listening to an ambient Electronica album, on a broken computer that pauses the music ever 1 minute to make you have to get up and press play again. And instead of a good electronica album it's a pretty mediocre one where most of the songs just sound like slightly differently pitched versions of themselves. With promised attist features that aren't actually there.

gfxtwin

But it's not.

This game is like listening to an ambient Electronica album, on a broken computer that pauses the music ever 1 minute to make you have to get up and press play again. And instead of a good electronica album it's a pretty mediocre one where most of the songs just sound like slightly differently pitched versions of themselves. With promised attist features that aren't actually there.

If you say so. NMS might be shallow as a game, but I stand by it being decent as a trippy, visually delicious, explorable pulp sci-fi painting. Woulda been even better if it included a lot of the cool stuff in trailers that ended up being cut, but oh well.

xinek

But it's not.

Yep. My expectations were low as hell and the game somehow still managed to disappoint. Your analogy is pretty damn good.

If "vague" mean clearly stating it affirmatively multiple times in multiple interviews...

This isn't even my favorite lie, because lacking MP isn't what makes this game so shockingly bad.

"The team programmed some of the physics for aesthetic reasons. For instance, Duncan insisted on permitting moons to orbit closer to their planets than Newtonian physics would allow. When he desired the possibility of green skies, the team had to redesign the periodic table to create atmospheric particles that would diffract light at just the right wavelength."

OK

Also like this:

While the basic behaviors themselves are simple, the interactions can be impressively complex. Artistic director Grant Duncan recalled roaming an alien planet once shooting at birds out of boredom. “I hit one and it fell into the ocean,” he recalled. “It was floating there on the waves when suddenly, a shark came up and ate it. The first time it happened, it totally blew me away.”

The whole interview is hilarious/nauseating and they get *incredibly* far up their own asses, worth a read

I like No Man's Sky as an experience and I think the multiplayer stuff is overblown, but quotes like these are really damning in the sheer amount of bullshit Murray was willing to peddle. They had to "reinvent the periodic table to create elements that diffracted light at the right wavelength"? Get the fuck out of here with that nonsense. Or the interview where he shits on everyone else for using skyboxes and then the game comes out and has skyboxes. "Every atom procedural." Hogwash. I still think the backlash is overblown, but there was some serious nonsense being spouted before this game came out. I remember reading that diffracting wavelength of light quote back when that interview came out and I immediately thought "well that's some hyperbolic bullshit."

I hope someone does come along and give us what NMS promised, but concentrated.

Explore like 10 planets, each with maybe some random variation, but each hardcoded with a core theme/style.

Include MP and MC styled building blocks, and the community will take it from there.

What's really limiting about NMS is that there really isnt anything for community content and creativity, so there really isnt much to talk about on forums like the subreddit.

MikeyB

I hope someone does come along and give us what NMS promised, but concentrated.

Explore like 10 planets, each with maybe some random variation, but each hardcoded with a core theme/style.

Include MP and MC styled building blocks, and the community will take it from there.

What's really limiting about NMS is that there really isnt anything for community content and creativity, so there really isnt much to talk about on forums like the subreddit.

Freelancer with the Discovery mod had a more vibrant galaxy (and multiplayer) without even being able to explore a planet.

Fury451

Banned

OK

Also like this:

The whole interview is hilarious/nauseating and they get *incredibly* far up their own asses, worth a read

Holy shit, I've never seen this. How could you not say they're full of crap after reading this. Lies upon lies upon lies.

You.

Yes, you. The one screaming, "the framerate stinks!" and "We waited 10 years for this!" and other slurs I dare not mention.

Tread lightly.

You are one. We are hundreds, thousands. Millions. You aren't just IN the minority; you ARE the minority.

I don't feel awkward or anxious playing Final Fantasy XV around others, and your words don't affect me. Many others, however, are coming out of their shells for the first time in their lives. This is the first time many are enjoying an entirely male party, and they ARE beautiful. Incredibly so. DON'T ruin this for them. We Final Fantasy fans may have our differences, but we will not hesitate to come to the aid of our fellow role-players, especially against someone who so virulently slurs that which has brought us all together.

Don't take this the wrong way. I don't hate you. I don't fear you.

I pity you.

I'm sorry that you feel this way towards us. I'm sorry that Final Fantasy XV is such a bane to your existence. And I'm sorry that you are missing out on such a wonderful experience. Mostly, though, I'm sorry that you feel the need to go around and publicly chastise and berate others. I'm sorry that, to ensure your own validity, you need to make others feel invalid. I'm sorry that your self worth is so infinitesimally miniscule that you have to make others feel less-than-human, at least in your own denatured mind, just to feel whole. I am truly sorry that day-in and day-out you have to put up with your worthless, meaningless, Shakespearean tragedy of a life.

I ask you politely to cease your unnecessary cries for attention, and instead invite you to join our ranks. Uninstall Witcher 3, start up Final Fantasy XV, and breathe in the splendour and the amazement of Noctis' immaculately styled hair, and then, maybe, just maybe, you'll see what you've been so hopelessly searching for this whole time.

. . . yeah, I like this one!

It will be very useful next month.

If the option is, "Be lied to" or "Be silent," I'd personally far prefer silence.

Show me the game when it's ready. No need to talk about features that may or may not be there. Honestly, what is the point of that?

-judge audience reactions to features in development
-connect with fans and let them get a little insight to the creation process
-share something you're doing that you're excited about

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual

OK

Also like this:

Hey, they were honest about one thing!
shooting at birds out of boredom

On the 'waves' (the flat water texture).

I've been seeing screen caps on Twitter about conspiracy theories that the mods were payed by Hello Games and are now demanding new mods be better to make sure they don't have a 'conflict of interest.'

Is this something gaining traction in that dumb subreddit, or was that just one particularly egregious post?

Kirbydorf

Neo Member
In this thread, there are still people doing the:

"Sean only implied X"
*video, gif or article disproving that*
"Well that was months ago it doesn't count."
*shows that it was days before the games release*
"SHUT UP YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE WAITED FOR REVIEWS OR PRE-ORDERED IT"

I don't even pre-order games anymore but, please stop this silly thing.

The subreddit shutting down is extremely childish though.

You missed "modern gamers have short attention spans/ gamers need easy instant gratification nowadays."

Backlogger

Well now two Redditors won't even be able to find each other on the same subreddit.

lolololol wow

I actually haven't played the game in weeks but I did like it initially and sort of still do. They just need to imrpove PC performance a bit more and I think there needs to be some other hook in the game to keep people interested. Not sure what that would be though.

I like No Man's Sky as an experience and I think the multiplayer stuff is overblown, but quotes like these are really damning in the sheer amount of bullshit Murray was willing to peddle. They had to "reinvent the periodic table to create elements that diffracted light at the right wavelength"? Get the fuck out of here with that nonsense.

the game is procedurally generated and different atmospheres have different color skies. "periodic table" could easily mean whatever formula or algorithm they were using to determine sky color. there are spawning chunks of periodic elements in the worlds in solid form (Gold, Nickel, Aluminum, etc.) they probably had something spawn them in the atmosphere, realized that didn't produce the kind of visual effect they wanted, and rewrote it so the right wavelength (ie. the right color) would show.

do people seriously think they were trying for a 1:1 simulation of the universe on a particle level? the amount of computing power that would take is astronomical. it's physically impossible at this point in time.

Top Bottom