• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: The white flight of Derek Black (son of Stormfront founder)

Status
Not open for further replies.

berzeli

Banned
Pretty much impossible to condense the article and capture the magic, so just going with some pull quotes. Do go and read the full thing. Article link.
Years before Donald Trump launched a presidential campaign based in part on the politics of race and division, a group of avowed white nationalists was working to make his rise possible by pushing its ideology from the radical fringes ever closer to the far conservative right. Many attendees in Memphis had transformed over their careers from Klansmen to white supremacists to self-described “racial realists,” and Derek Black represented another step in that evolution.
He was not only a leader of racial politics but also a product of them. His father, Don Black, had created Stormfront, the Internet’s first and largest white nationalist site, with 300,000 users and counting. His mother, Chloe, had once been married to David Duke, one of the country’s most infamous racial zealots, and Duke had become Derek’s godfather. They had raised Derek at the forefront of the movement, and some white nationalists had begun calling him “the heir.”
Derek finished high school, enrolled in community college and ran for a seat on the Republican committee, beating an incumbent with 60 percent of the vote. He decided he wanted to study medieval European history, so he applied to New College of Florida, a top-ranked liberal arts school with a strong history program.
Once, on the air, a friend asked Don whether he worried about sending his son to a “hotbed of multiculturalism,” and Don started to laugh.
...the unstated truth was that Derek was becoming more and more confused about exactly what he believed. Sometimes he looked through posts on Stormfront, hoping to reaffirm his ideology, but now the message threads about Obama’s birth certificate or DNA tests for citizenship just seemed bizarre and conspiratorial. He stopped posting on Stormfront. He began inventing excuses to get out of his radio show, leaving his father alone on the air each morning to explain why Derek wouldn’t be calling in. He was preparing for a test. He was giving those liberal professors hell. Except sometimes what Derek was really doing was taking his kayak to the beach, so he could be alone to think.
Late this summer, for the first time in years, he traveled to Florida to see them. At a time of increasingly contentious rhetoric, he wanted to hear what his father had to say. They sat in the house and talked about graduate school and Don’s new German shepherd. But after a while, their conversation turned back to ideology, the topic they had always preferred.
Derek said he actually believed in more immigration, because he had been studying the social and economic benefits of diversity.

Don thought that would result in a white genocide.

Derek thought race was a false concept anyway.

They sat across from each other, searching for ways to bridge the divide. The bay was one block away. Just across from there was Mar-a-Lago, where Trump had lived and vacationed for so many years, once installing an 80-foot pole for a gigantic American flag.

“Who would have thought he’d be the one to take it mainstream?” Don said, and in a moment of so much division, it was the one point on which they agreed.
Another link to the full article with yet another reminder to read the full thing.

kirblar

wow. had no idea about this kid. so much for "nurture"
There was an interesting study I ran into years ago - it turns out that college doesn't "make students more liberal/less religious" as conservatives complain/fear. Rather, freed of social pressures at home and in their community, kids who are already predisposed in a more liberal/less religious direction end up being able to move towards where their own personal views actually lie.

Great article/story.

Great read, just goes to show how rasicm thrives from ignorance and isolation.

Props to his jewish friend for going out of his way to start a dialogue with him even when he knew of his beliefs.

entremet

There was an interesting study I ran into years ago - it turns out that college doesn't "make students more liberal/less religious" as conservatives complain/fear. Rather, freed of social pressures at home and in their community, kids who are already predisposed in a more liberal/less religious direction end up being able to move towards where their own personal views actually lie.

Great article/story.

It's probably not just the college teaching either, but being around, wait for it, other people, may change their minds.

I read a lot about White Nationalism. It's in an strange beast to say the least.

It's rise is mostly been to the growing insularity of American culture. As family and community ties frayed due to the economy, moves, death of blue collar work, white nationalism has become more appealing to disaffected some white populations.

Don't forget the growing meth epidemic in white neighborhoods. People are looking for something or someone to blame and the "Other" is a common scapegoat.

kirblar

It's probably not just the college teaching either, but being around, wait for it, other people, may change their minds.

I read a lot about White Nationalism. It's in an strange beast to say the least.

It's rise is mostly been to the growing insularity of American culture. As family and community ties frayed due to the economy, moves, death of blue collar work, white nationalism has become more appealing to disaffected some white populations.
The study was specifically interested in religiosity- without the rituals and social pressures, people were free to do what they actually wanted to do. Didn't require much intervention.

Definitely a different dynamic with political views.

One thing the article touches on-the whole "I need someone to have status personally" thing is definitely an issue with how people judge the validity of info.

Thanks for the post.

This is a good piece to read if you don't believe people can change after entering adulthood, I recall a number of posts on this board to that effect, that trumpeters are now and forever beyond redemption. There has to be a natural curiosity of course, which does seem to be less common than would like. Regardless, this guy has a lot to atone for and will bear the burden words til the end of his days.

Love that the family paying for him to go to this college back fired completely. Oops.

Drinking tap water? Full blown commie globalist now.

Asbel

When you constantly lie to push an agenda, you forget about the reasonable world outside of the echo chamber.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Fascinating article I haven't finished it yet but I wanted to say thanks for posting this.

Brinbe

Absolutely fantastic article... Reminds me of some of my close friends in HS, who were super conservative Bush supporters back in 2000-2004. But after going through their undergrads and law school/graduate school, are now super liberal Bernie/Hillary backers. And I suspect it happens all the time.

WedgeX

Banned
This was a great piece by the Post. A lesson for all of us of how social ties can destroy hate.

And damn at those last two paragraphs.

Lubricus

I just checked, article not posted on Stormfront. I wonder why.
We all change once we reach a certain age, leave home, and become exposed to other ideas and concepts. This fellow changed for the better.
It must be hard to have your family disavow you.

It's nice to read something uplifting for a change. Good on him and the guy that took a chance on him and invited him to those dinners. Glad they got to him before his heart was full of hate. Unfortunately most of the people in situations like his don't get that opportunity.

Self avowed white nationalist: "Donald Trump made it mainstream."

Donald Trump: "But none of my base is racist note did my campaign have a racist backbone."

K

kirblar

Absolutely fantastic article... Reminds me of some of my close friends in HS, who were super conservative Bush supporters back in 2000-2004. But after going through their undergrads and law school/graduate school, are now super liberal Bernie/Hillary backers. And I suspect it happens all the time.
The manufactured Iraq invasion lost the GOP a generation.

Fantastic article that everyone should read. Thanks for posting, OP. He was lucky to have people in his life willing to put aside their disgust in an attempt to change his views. Their approach to that situation is exemplary.

This is a good article, I'd imagine Derek will never be able to shake his past off completely now that it's been given leverage thanks to Trump. He's done much to atone, but it's hard to distance yourself from something like that.

Can someone explain to me why Jewish people aren't considered "white"? I'm asian, immigrated to the US as a kid so this whole prejudice is completely lost on me. Is it because they're not Christian?

This article saddens me because my best friend is a Trump supporter. He's been my best friend since I was 9. I get that we lived in a small country town so his views are automatically shifted to the right but it still sucks. I thought him transferring to a university would expand his world views like this article, but it just seems like he's become a shut-in instead... just working at a grocery store and then drinking. I'm proud of him for working his way through college, staying at his parents for a few years while getting his AA so he won't be in debt but a part of me just wishes he had the full experience, meet people outside his comfort-zone, but alas...

Needless to say we dont' talk about politics, only Dragon Ball Z, videogames, and pizza.

Can someone explain to me why Jewish people aren't considered "white"? I'm asian, immigrated to the US as a kid so this whole prejudice is completely lost on me. Is it because they're not Christian?

1) White nationalism is strongly associated with Christian beliefs.
2) Their ethnic origins are not from the region associated with the birth of Caucasians.

kirblar

This article saddens me because my best friend is a Trump supporter. He's been my best friend since I was 9. I get that we lived in a small country town so his views are automatically shifted to the right but it still sucks. I thought him transferring to a university would expand his world views like this article, but it just seems like he's become a shut-in instead... just working at a grocery store and then drinking. I'm proud of him for working his way through college, staying at his parents for a few years while getting his AA so he won't be in debt but a part of me just wishes he had the full experience, meet people outside his comfort-zone, but alas...

Needless to say we dont' talk about politics, only Dragon Ball Z, videogames, and pizza.
Racism against Jewish people is a long European tradition passed down to their American descendants.

The developers of "The Witcher" caught flak from some for having a near-mono-"white" game- but they live in a country that's almost completely white, and where racism and predjudice were historically between various subgroups, many of which fall under the "white" banner today in the US. That modern banner includes many groups that 100, 200 years ago would have faced discrimination because they "weren't white." People have always been shitty and found any excuse to draw arbitrary tribal lines.

Excellent read . As op mentioned I urge ppl to read the full article

Agreed complete. Damned good article.

People get indoctrinated into these racial ideologies for that sense of belonging. The most disturb thing is the attempt of white nationalism to rebrand itself as something more palatable. Very disturbing trend.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Powerful article. When you try to put yourself in the shoes of his family, you can really see how they think any exposure to the world outside their weird bubble can result in "indoctrination", and that's such a self-fulfilling prophecy point of view to hold.

The fascinating thing about internet communities these days is that level of bunkering in and sealing yourself off from all outside points of view to just exist in an echo chamber is actually the standard. No wonder we're hitting a tipping point for ideological war these days.

Caelus

Love this article, gives me so much hope. I want to practice an unconditional love for everyone, even racists, so that I can at least help change minds. It's so hard to do, especially as a brown man who can catch scorn even by approaching such a person, but I think it'll be worth the effort.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Good on him for realizing that the modern concept of race is completely made up.

Agreed complete. Damned good article.

People get indoctrinated into these racial ideologies for that sense of belonging. The most disturb thing is the attempt of white nationalism to rebrand itself as something more palatable. Very disturbing trend.
Yeah. And suprisingly (or not) it was the kid trying to get them to be more palatable. I'm so glad the dude's trying to make up for his past. Only his acfions and words should reflect him. No sins of the father and all that.
wow. had no idea about this kid. so much for "nurture"
The "nuture" part came in at the liberal college.

But then came the election campaign of 2016, and suddenly the white nationalism Derek had been trying to unlearn was the unavoidable subtext to national debates over refugees, immigration, Black Lives Matter and the election itself. Late in August, Derek watched in his apartment as Hillary Clinton gave a major speech about the rise of racism. She explained how white supremacists had rebranded themselves as white nationalists. She referenced Duke and mentioned the concept of a “white genocide,” which Derek had once helped popularize. She talked about how Trump had hired a campaign manager with ties to the alt-right. She said: “A fringe movement has essentially taken over the Republican Party.”
It was the very same point Derek had spent so much of his life believing in, but now it made him feel both fearful for the country and implicated. “It’s scary to know that I helped spread this stuff, and now it’s out there,” he told one of his Shabbat friends.
I remember this speech, and I remember everyone thought it was a huge mistake at the time. I'm glad to see it had a positive effect on him.

Derwind

I think in general it's a little difficult to describe all people of Jewish descent as just white. But that's looking at it more globally.

GhaleonEB

Incredibly powerful article. I think this is the fulcrum, midway through the story and the tipping point:

Matthew decided his best chance to affect Derek’s thinking was not to ignore him or confront him, but simply to include him. “Maybe he’d never spent time with a Jewish person before,” Matthew remembered thinking.

Inclusion and empathy are powerful things. Far more powerful than words. I had not heard of Derek Black, but it's a remarkable personal journey. Good for him.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
After reading the whole article it is great to hear that Derek has learned enough about the world and his peers to disavow the movement he helped create. It's a very familiar story and one I and I'm sure many others have seen happen in person.

Almost every single racist I cross paths with has the same story. They were raised being isolated from anyone 'different' from them. Due to this upbringing their young minds are shaped and molded (brainwashed) to believe the sensational BS they have heard their entire lives. None of them have any actual interactions with the groups they think they hate and once they do if we are lucky they start to understand that their belief system is built on bullshit.

I keep the same principles in mind when I meet racist people that the college did. "Maybe we can change their mind". Sure, sometimes it's difficult to 'play nice' with people who think you and you family are sub-human but you only stiffen their resolve if you ostracize them. Be inclusive, discuss things rationally, try to make yourself understand why they think the way they do. I don't have to agree to understand why they have the mindset.

This approach doesn't always work and honestly isn't successful most of the time but the only way these types change their views is through positive interaction with a variety of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom