• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Xbox One is the best selling console two months in a row [Numbers inside]

Welfare

Lots of news from the UK this morning. TF2 flopping, Skyrim SE doing really well, and the Xbox One outsold the PS4 again in October.

Total sales in October: ~177,700
Xbox One: 99,496 (56%) [Average of 24,874 a week]
PS4: ~74,600 (42%) [Average of ~18,650 a week]
Wii U: ~3,600 (2%) [Average of ~900 a week]

Total gap between Xbox One and PS4 in the month of September: 1,500

Xbox One held a 56 percent share of the UK console hardware market in October (versus 42 percent for PS4 and 2 per cent for Wii U), selling 99,496 consoles.
The sales turnaround can be tracked to the launch of Xbox One S, the new model that arrived in the UK on September 22nd. The machine boasts some small improvements over the original and was bundled with a free copy of FIFA 17, which is the UK's most popular video game franchise.

In terms of its rivalry with Sony, these figures do need to be taken into context. Microsoft has launched big sequels Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War 4 in recent weeks and has also benefitted from the marketing partnership it has with EA on FIFA 17. PlayStation's partnerships with Watch Dogs 2 and Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare will take place next month, as will the launch of PS4 Pro - which may be causing some consumers to hold off on their PS4 purchases. Also note that PS4 still remains well ahead of Xbox One in terms of overall UK install base.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...uk-console-sales-for-second-consecutive-month

This is exactly what I expected.

Xbox One will most definitely outsell the PS4 in October as well. People are waiting for the Pro.

Edit: In the US

JP

I'm actually surprised they are selling many of the newer PS4s with the Pro on the way. I'm sure both companies will be very happy with these numbers.

Elios83

September gap that they gloated about was 1500 units :p

Btw no big surprise here, Sony is playing for huge sales in November and December this year with the Pro launch and Slim deals/bundles.

Well this all but confirms MS won October NPD as well giving them 4 months straight as the top console in NA. Its really nice to see how MS has managed to turn the Xbox brand back around.

Of course I expect November to be huge for Sony due to the launch of Pro

Edit - also interesting that the gap in October is considerably larger than the gap in September. If the same holds true in NA, where there was a pretty good sized gap in September, that would lead to a pretty dominant October for Xbox

viHuGi

Banned
Great October sales but expected, Sony had zero bundles and MS had Gears Fifa Battlefield it would be hard not to win.

The real battle starts tomorrow, Cod bundles, Watch Dogs, Uncharted, Pro and more.

danowat

Banned
I can't imagine the majority of these xbox sales are from people who already own a ps4....

They've gotta be first time buyers? The bundles are proper xmas bait too wouldn't you say?

I was responded to the guy who made it seem like the decision was binary, either PS4 or XBO, It obviously doesn't state either way, I've no idea, but it would be an interesting metric to know, maybe more people are becoming multiplatform gamers?

daveo42

Banned
A cheaper Xbox with a UHD Blu-Ray player seems like a good fit to me. Sony will more than likely see an uptick in November with the release of the Pro. November/December numbers this year will be interesting to watch.

Aren't the people waiting for the Pro mostly people who already have a PS4...? That's my perception of the market Sony is going after with the Pro, maybe I'm reading it incorrectly.

I'd agree with that, tho the Pro also means people technically already in the next-gen market are buying more hardware. I'd assume MS is seeing the same increase from its base moving from X1 -> X1s. MS just gets a better bump from those looking for a lower cost UHD player.

Aren't the people waiting for the Pro mostly people who already have a PS4...? That's my perception of the market Sony is going after with the Pro, maybe I'm reading it incorrectly.

Maybe on NeoGAF.

Most normal people (i.e. non-enthusiasts) who already own a PS4 don't see the need to upgrade.

Really don't agree with everyone saying that PS4 is losing because consumers are waiting for PS4 pro.

To me, the bottom line is that the One S is a good console, is cheaper and has a solid marketing budget behind it. I think this is straight forward.

Really don't agree with everyone saying that PS4 is losing because consumers are waiting for PS4 pro.

To me, the bottom line is that the One S is a good console, is cheaper and has a solid marketing budget behind it. I think this is straight forward.

I certainly don't think its just the Pro that's leading to these Xbox top spots either, though I do think its a factor. I expect November to be REALLY big for PS4 as I think Pro is gonna move some serious hardware out the gate.

But I don't think its impossible Xbox One to take December

We already saw in Japan the PS4 numbers slow to a trickle ahead of just the Slim, let alone an upgraded model.

The Pro is absolutely causing an affect on these numbers. Whether it would have been the difference between being the better selling console or not is of course debatable, but it's hardly straightforward.

Hmmm wow I didn't know the UK sold fewer consoles per month than Japan, not counting Xbox since that sells a ridiculous 1000 consoles a month in Japan. I thought UK was pretty big into gaming?

dugdug

Banned

This, and, also: games. MS put out some fantastic games in Sept and Oct. I've barely turned on my PS4 since Horizon 3 released.

Edit: Quote from post above was not working on my pjone.

We are, although Japan has roughly twice as many people living there compared with the UK.

Kalopsia

Neo Member
When it comes down to it, the Xbox One is cheaper and comes bundled with FIFA. They have the UK on lockdown this holiday season, PS4 Pro or not.

Welfare

I certainly don't think its just the Pro that's leading to these Xbox top spots either, though I do think its a factor. I expect November to be REALLY big for PS4 as I think Pro is gonna move some serious hardware out the gate.

But I don't think its impossible Xbox One to take December

Even without the Pro, the Xbox One is doing extremely well right now. 100k in one month before November and December is a good sign. Black Friday sales will be interesting to see.

Xbox One: 108,678
PS4: 108,087

PS4: 139,011
Xbox One: 133,745

Both could hit 150k based on how well both are doing. Whoever leads would be up to how much stock the Pro has.

Any PSVR numbers?

No. Only numbers we have are from Japan, and that was 51,644 at launch week.

Aren't the people buying XB1 S, XB1 owners?

That's a not a wise perception.

cakely

Congratulations, Microsoft.

I was originally thinking the PS4 would take October in the US but it's starting to look like Amazon monthly will be wrong two months in a row.

Unknown?

Nah it's a nice mix. Casuals are going to see the Pro and for only $100 more they get a better system. The fact Xbox has sold better shows that because PS4 was selling better even at a higher price until the Pro was announced.

Coxy100

Banned
Crazy that with a new model coming out PS4 is still selling that much.

Well done to MS but PS4 is a beast.

Not really that crazy - the Pro is more for hardcore or those flush with cash.

I bought the Slim last month - I had no interest in the Pro (even though I'm hardcore as such..)

N.Domixis

Banned

I disagree, xbox 1 will drop the same way as we close in on Scorpio release. Can't wait for pspro to come out.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

RoKKeR

Aren't the people buying XB1 S, XB1 owners?

That's a not a wise perception.

It occupies a different realm than the Pro. The One S is a straight replacement of the OG XB1, where as the Pro exists as a compliment to the PS4/"next-step" for enthusiast PS4 owners. Of course there is likely a mix (as another poster above suggested) but I disagree with you in that the markets/upgrade paths for the XB1S and PS4 Pro are not the same.

Top Bottom