• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Xbox One is the best selling console two months in a row [Numbers inside]

I need a new ps4 and I too am waiting for the pro.

In this day and age I can't see a single reason to buy an Xbox instead.....

It's about personal preference. I much prefer using my Xbox controller over my PS4 controller. I don't find myself interested Sony exclusives, the only one I have bought was The Last of Us Remastered.

It's not all about a slight power advantage, if it was then I'd be gaming on a PC.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I can't imagine the majority of these xbox sales are from people who already own a ps4....

They've gotta be first time buyers? The bundles are proper xmas bait too wouldn't you say?

Combination of Horizon 3 and Gears 4 is a string jumping in point for anyone including ps4 owners.

Gray-Fox

bought xbox one s in september thansk to target but collecting dust till i get my copy of DR3.

Ive played Gears 4, Sunset O..

Good going msoft. The Xbox One S + a couple solid first party exclusives are doing quite well.

I am also curious about the PSVR numbers.

timberger

In this day and age I can't see a single reason to buy an Xbox instead.....

Pretty much.

When the best reasons to get one presented to you are that it can play some games from it's predecessor and can play UHD discs for movies only then personally I'm not seeing where the value is when you want a games machine.

cackhyena

Pretty much.

When the best reasons to get one presented to you are that it can play some games from it's predecessor and can play UHD discs for movies only then personally I'm not seeing where the value is when you want a games machine.
What does games from its predecessor mean? Sequels?

BC is a huge thing Sony doesn't have. There's plenty to sway people back.

Pretty much.

Backwards compatibility is a pretty big deal.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Pretty much.

wut

Really don't agree with everyone saying that PS4 is losing because consumers are waiting for PS4 pro.

To me, the bottom line is that the One S is a good console, is cheaper and has a solid marketing budget behind it. I think this is straight forward.
It is a factor without a doubt.

Welfare

Pretty much.

Compared to the PS4 that has what?

The XB1 is a cheap multimedia device that plays all the popular 3rd party titles, has highly rated exclusives, plays hundreds of Xbox 360 games, and can play 4K media.

Trup1aya

I'm not sure I buy the "waiting for the pro" argument.

Approaching the 3 year mark for this gen, you'd expect many people who have yet to get a new console to be pouncing on the cheaper entry points.

I imagine that many current PS4 owners are "waiting for the pro" so that they can upgrade. But if the pro didn't exist, current owners wouldn't be in the market for new PS4s anyway. So without the impending Pro, PS4 sales would be similar to what they are now.

I do think the Pro will cause a boost in PS4 sales. But i don't think the impeding Pro release is dampening current PS4 sales in relation to Xbox- I think that is happening 1)because a lot of people already have PS4s and 2) the PS4 slim isn't as compelling a product as the xb1s is to new buyers

This result tracks with the UK Amazon rankings. If trend holds for US, then PS4 should handily win October NPD. Looking forward to November, additional PS4 Pro Sales should more than make up for the XB1 wins the past two months since it has led Amazon console sales for those months.

Code:
UK Amazon October 2016
==================================
19* PS4 Pro 1TB
29  XB1 S FIFA 17 Bundle 500GB
37  PS4 500GB
85  XB1 S Battlefield Bundle 500GB

US Amazon October 2016
===================================
28* PS4 Pro 1TB
49  PS4 Slim 500GB 
56  PS4 500GB
63  PS4 500GB Uncharted
90  XB1 S 1TB Madden NFL 17 
91  XB1 S 2TB Gears of War 4
99  XB1 S 1TB Battlefield 1 

* Not for sale in October

Papilloma

This result tracks with the UK Amazon rankings. If trend holds for US, then PS4 should handily win October NPD. Looking forward to November, additional PS4 Pro Sales should more than make up for the XB1 wins the past two months since it has led Amazon console sales for those months.

Code:
UK Amazon October 2016
==================================
19* PS4 Pro 1TB
29  XB1 S FIFA 17 Bundle 500GB
37  PS4 500GB
85  XB1 S Battlefield Bundle 500GB

US Amazon October 2016
===================================
28* PS4 Pro 1TB
49  PS4 Slim 500GB 
56  PS4 500GB
63  PS4 500GB Uncharted
90  XB1 S 1TB Madden NFL 17 
91  XB1 S 2TB Gears of War 4
99  XB1 S 1TB Battlefield 1 

* Not for sale in October

The issue I can see for using that chart to predict sales overall is that the 500GB Xbox One S isn't in it. Do Amazon sell it in the US? I'd expect that to be the biggest selling version by a mile.

Welfare

Problem with this is that Amazon US does not stock the $299 Halo bundle and for whatever reason hasn't been tracking the 1TB Gears 4 bundle.

Also Amazon showed the PS4 winning September by a good margin and yet the XB1 outsold it by 47,500.

Conduit

Banned
Just to note I added a weekly average to the OP for a clearer picture of weekly performance.

Not known but I'd estimate anywhere between 600k and 700k.

It's quite over that. 1 million in PS4 favor. Explain how is possible for gap to stay the same for year and a half when year and a half ago PS4 passed 2 mil. in UK And a gap was around 600k then.

I-hate-u

Desrevedly so. The slim had no hype, and the Pro pr is abysmal.

On the other hand , MS nailed theXbox one S launch, and they have had a good streak of games for a while.

And what are you measuring your "only matters to GAF" with?
Hardware manufactures measuring the b/c usage versus the overall user base.

@Obliterator I mean, are 500K games now hitting the million mark? How big is this game boost that you say it’s an enormous success?

Honest questions btw...

cackhyena

Hardcore gamers/forum dwellers care about backwards compatibility. The mass market couldn't care less.
You're basing this on what? Are there numbers I'm not aware of saying BC doesn't generate much revenue? Genuinely curious. My point is its a nice selling point Sony lacks.

Welfare

It's quite over that. Explain how is possible for gap to stay the same for year and a half when year and a half ago PS4 passed 2 mil. in UK And a gap was around 600k then.

The gap was ~600k back at the end of 2015. The gap at most increased by 100k before the XB1S came out, which is why I said between 600k and 700k.

Hardware manufactures measuring the b/c usage versus the overall user base.

Which is a high number?

It was at 145 million total hours spent back in August which if every single Xbox One owner was using would have averaged 5-6 hours of playtime. Couple that with not every person is using it, its a better average than that. This isn't an insignificant number, and if it wasn't seen as a huge success you wouldn't see so many games continuously being added to BC as it wouldn't be worth the financial effort.

Also couple it with proof we have that it has raised sales of older titles

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/red-dead-redemption-sales-jump-6000-after-xbox-one/1100-6441527/

https://gamerant.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-backward-compatibility-sales-920/

What exactly are you trying to spin here?

Guymelef

The gap was ~600k back at the end of 2015. The gap at most increased by 100k before the XB1S came out, which is why I said between 600k and 700k.

PS4 past 3M In January.
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/playstation-boosts-uk-team-as-ps4-sales-soar-past-3m/0163415

And Game put PS4+XBO sales at 5.1M around March.
GAME-PS4-Xbox-One-Sales-469284.jpg

So when PS4 was >3M, XBO was <2.1M

Boosting game sales of older titles and overall consumer usage

Which is a high number?

It was at 145 million total hours spent back in August which if every single Xbox One owner was using would have averaged 5-6 hours of playtime. Couple that with not every person is using it, its a better average than that. This isn't an insignificant number, and if it wasn't seen as a huge success you wouldn't see so many games continuously being added to BC as it wouldn't be worth the financial effort.

Also couple it with proof we have that it has raised sales of older titles

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/red-dead-redemption-sales-jump-6000-after-xbox-one/1100-6441527/

https://gamerant.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-backward-compatibility-sales-920/

What exactly are you trying to spin here?
I said honest questions my dude, I’m not trying to spin shit.

I just remember Sony saying the usage wasn’t that high on PS3 along with it was “hard to do” PR at the beginning of the gen, and thought it was confirmed that most of the user base don’t go back and play older games that much.

You used two examples of some of the most popular games, and 6000% of what number? if it was selling 12 copies a month, lol..you see my point?

but yeah, I see your point. I wouldn’t call it an enormous success, it’s certainly a good feature to have though, and I think it’s more important in the beginning of the gen.

joebruin

sales ahead of last generation so there's bound to be some drop off at some point i guess?

multiple console owners are coming into play? dunno if pro will move the needle. it'll probably get a bump due to upgrades and not necessarily from anyone jumping into playstation for the first time this gen.

Conduit

Banned

It was not at the end of 2015. That gap was around May 2015.

PS4 passed 3 mil. back in January 2016. With average sale ratio 1.5 IIRC, Xbone was at 2 million then.

Elandyll

Banned
Problem with this is that Amazon US does not stock the $299 Halo bundle and for whatever reason hasn't been tracking the 1TB Gears 4 bundle.

Also Amazon showed the PS4 winning September by a good margin and yet the XB1 outsold it by 47,500.
You know that September had crazy deals at retailers with S bundles.
In October the deals were on the old XB1 ones to unload stock.

So we'll see.

Though possible, I don't see an XB1 win as a guarantee at all.

How are these PS4 numbers when compared to previous years? Like, is the X1 doing good and the PS4 is doing okay/poor? Or is it the PS4 numbers are decent/solid/good and the X1 is just doing notably well?

Question as always will be how much, because it's sizeable more expensive than the consoles that are currently on the market.
I think it will end up being a considerable factor. Enough to make up what was lost during these last few months, at least.

I don't know about the UK, but I'm definitely interested in some of the new sales going on.

Xbox One S 500GB with Battlefield 1 for $300 and then if I wait until Friday, Best Buy will give me another free game (up to $60) and $15 off of XBox Live for the year. So thats $345 for the console, two games and a year of live.

I said honest questions my dude, I’m not trying to spin shit.

I just remember Sony saying the usage wasn’t that high on PS3 along with it was “hard to do” PR at the beginning of the gen, and thought it was confirmed that most of the user base don’t go back and play older games that much.

You used two examples of some of the most popular games, and 6000% of what number? if it was selling 12 copies a month, lol..you see my point?

but yeah, I see your point. I wouldn’t call it an enormous success, it’s certainly a good feature to have though, and I think it’s more important in the beginning of the gen.

Ah my bad, if I was reading into your post wrong, apologies for sure.

It just is something that somewhat bothers me when I see posts about "Only matters to GAF" when people don't research the actual numbers. All of GAF combined isn't going to come anywhere near 145 million hours of usage on BC titles, which means a segment of the larger market is certainly using it.

I don't think its had a huge impact on sales but is a nice feather in MS cap that makes the overall package look more appealing. Similar situation as 4k Blu-ray. I don't think that is having a huge impact either but is just another nice bullet point that MS can use to advertise their product.

Welfare

Hardcore gamers/forum dwellers care about backwards compatibility. The mass market couldn't care less.

You could argue the same about the PS4 Pro's improved processing power. The mass market couldn't give a shit - as long as it plays the latest COD / FIFA they'll buy the cheapest one available.

Top Bottom