• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Xbox One is the best selling console two months in a row [Numbers inside]

Ah my bad, if I was reading into your post wrong, apologies for sure.

It just is something that somewhat bothers me when I see posts about "Only matters to GAF" when people don't research the actual numbers. All of GAF combined isn't going to come anywhere near 145 million hours of usage on BC titles, which means a segment of the larger market is certainly using it.

I don't think its had a huge impact on sales but is a nice feather in MS cap that makes the overall package look more appealing. Similar situation as 4k Blu-ray. I don't think that is having a huge impact either but is just another nice bullet point that MS can use to advertise their product.
True true....I can indeed agree with that...And if nothing else, I won’t phrase it anymore like that. My bad as well.

That’s good logic that GAF’s users alone couldn’t get that high a number of usage. It all adds up to a nice package, MS done did good with X1s that’s for sure.

I’m still hoping Sony emulates some of that stuff like custom controllers and some colors next other than Black! lol...

mejin

PS4 past 3M In January.
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/playstation-boosts-uk-team-as-ps4-sales-soar-past-3m/0163415

And Game put PS4+XBO sales at 5.1M around March.
GAME-PS4-Xbox-One-Sales-469284.jpg

So when PS4 was >3M, XBO was <2.1M

Hum, the gap will be wider with Pro launch.

The issue I can see for using that chart to predict sales overall is that the 500GB Xbox One S isn't in it. Do Amazon sell it in the US? I'd expect that to be the biggest selling version by a mile.

It's there. It just doesn't show up in the monthly chart. However, it is in the current best selling chart.
Code:
US Amazon October 2016
Current Bestseller
===================================
16* PS4 Pro 1TB
45  PS4 Slim 500GB Uncharted
54  PS4 500GB Uncharted
74  PS4 500GB
78  XB1 S 500GB Battlefield 1

Problem with this is that Amazon US does not stock the $299 Halo bundle and for whatever reason hasn't been tracking the 1TB Gears 4 bundle.

Also Amazon showed the PS4 winning September by a good margin and yet the XB1 outsold it by 47,500.
Amazon lists more than enough below $300 bundles. For example I quickly spotted the following consoles. If anything I think the problem for Microsoft is that they have too many SKUs on Amazon which is diluting their rankings a bit. Xbox had 8 pages of console listings while PlayStation only had 5. However I suspect that most sells will happen for only a limited number of SKUs.

• $239 Xbox One 500GB Console - Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Bundle
  • $275 Xbox One 1TB Console - Tom Clancy's The Division Bundle
  • $250 Xbox One 500GB White Console - Special Edition Quantum Break Bundle
  • $239 Xbox One 1TB Console - 3 Games Holiday Bundle (Gears of War: Ultimate Edition + Rare Replay + Ori and the Blind Forest)
  • $297 Xbox One 1TB Console : Rise of the Tomb Raider Bundle
  • $299 Xbox One S 500GB Console - Battlefield 1 Bundle

As for September Amazon rankings, they were really close which wouldn't have given a large advantage to PlayStation. Meanwhile Xbox had exceptional sales outside of Amazon which more than made up for it. As far as I know that isn't happening right now, so the Amazon rankings should hold.
Code:
US Amazon September 2016
===================================
 5* PS4 Pro 1TB
24  PS4 500GB Uncharted
30  XB1 S 500GB Halo Collection
51  PS4 Slim 500GB Uncharted
68  XB1 S 1TB Madden NFL 17 
73  PS4 500GB Uncharted Limited
78  XB1 S 2TB 
90  PS4 500GB

Speculation:

I hope EA learns the right lesson from bad TFall 2 sales.

Not so much that the game sucks but that it's predecessor fell a bit flat.

To me it's similar to when Ubi should realise bad sales of AC Syndicate is more a reflection on the reaction to the previous product than anything else, or any drop in sales from Advanced Warfare onwards I'm guessing is more a reflection on Ghosts.

(Again, just speculating these are the reasons relatively better sequels have crappier sales)

Welfare

But the 3M are GFK numbers, so you have to add that 5% to PS4 sales as well.

GAME used GFK numbers to state that there were 5.1m consoles sold. GFK data needs to be up weighted by ~5% as they only receive ~95% of the UK market. Sony months after the fact stated the PS4 sold 3m back in January. Why would Sony be using non up weighted numbers when reporting? 3m is the 100% figure.

Guymelef

GAME used GFK numbers to state that there were 5.1m consoles sold. GFK data needs to be up weighted by ~5% as they only receive ~95% of the UK market. Sony months after the fact stated the PS4 sold 3m back in January. Why would Sony be using non up weighted numbers when reporting? 3m is the 100% figure.

Is not Sony throwing the numbers.

According to UK retailers, quoting GfK Entertainment figures, PS4 passed the 3m sales milestone back in January.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Speculation:

I hope EA learns the right lesson from bad TFall 2 sales.

Not so much that the game sucks but that it's predecessor fell a bit flat.

To me it's similar to when Ubi should realise bad sales of AC Syndicate is more a reflection on the reaction to the previous product than anything else, or any drop in sales from Advanced Warfare onwards I'm guessing is more a reflection on Ghosts.

(Again, just speculating these are the reasons relatively better sequels have crappier sales)

What lesson is that to learn? If TF as a predecessor fell flat what do you think that's going to say to a sequel to direly selling TF2. Not mention that's hardly the sole reason if it's a reason at all. The fact it TF2 had poor word of mouth, was released between two massive franchises within the same genre and had comparatively smaller scale marketing are all comparatively much more important lessons to.

It's a poor lesson to learn because it's not helpful how does knowing the previous game was poorly received which affected the next game help you sell the game after that? That's the same as saying you shouldn't make poorly received games. Which is a no shit Sherlock, developers and publishers try to do that anyway.

Welfare

Amazon lists more than enough below $300 bundles. For example I quickly spotted the following consoles. If anything I think the problem for Microsoft is that they have too many SKUs on Amazon which is diluting their rankings a bit. Xbox had 8 pages of console listings while PlayStation only had 5. However I suspect that most sells will happen for only a limited number of SKUs.

• $239 Xbox One 500GB Console - Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Bundle
  • $275 Xbox One 1TB Console - Tom Clancy's The Division Bundle
  • $250 Xbox One 500GB White Console - Special Edition Quantum Break Bundle
  • $239 Xbox One 1TB Console - 3 Games Holiday Bundle (Gears of War: Ultimate Edition + Rare Replay + Ori and the Blind Forest)
  • $297 Xbox One 1TB Console : Rise of the Tomb Raider Bundle
  • $299 Xbox One S 500GB Console - Battlefield 1 Bundle

As for September Amazon rankings, they were really close which wouldn't have given a large advantage to PlayStation. Meanwhile Xbox had exceptional sales outside of Amazon which more than made up for it. As far as I know that isn't happening right now, so the Amazon rankings should hold.

Amazon doesn't even stock the XB1 bundles, those are all third party sellers. The main sellers are the S bundles and they aren't even tracking the 1TB Gears bundle and don't sell the Halo bundle. The lack of those is a big hit to the accuracy of Amazon this month.

Is not Sony throwing the numbers.

So your argument is that Sony would be using the 95% figure and not the 100%? That makes no sense.

cakely

Amazon doesn't even stock the XB1 bundles, those are all third party sellers. The main sellers are the S bundles and they aren't even tracking the 1TB Gears bundle and don't sell the Halo bundle. The lack of those is a big hit to the accuracy of Amazon this month.

They are indeed tracking a 1TB Gears 4 bundle.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXE3053/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Still, I'm thinking Amazon will be wrong again, and that will make it two months in a row, which has never happened this generation.

Outrun

September gap that they gloated about was 1500 units :p

Btw no big surprise here, Sony is playing for huge sales in November and December this year with the Pro launch and Slim deals/bundles.

Who was gloating?

Both MS and Sony should be pleased.

Why should who stocks the console matter? Are they not tracked by Amazon no matter who sells them? Besides the Xbox One S 500GB Console Battlefield 1 Bundle is sold by Amazon and is also the bestselling Xbox console on BestBuy.com. It's not on GameStop, but they don't offer it at $299.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L1Y0TCC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

September gap that they gloated about was 1500 units :p

Btw no big surprise here, Sony is playing for huge sales in November and December this year with the Pro launch and Slim deals/bundles.

I don't think so. Xbox One has traditionally won November and December. Like every previous year they'll drop the Xbox down to dirt cheap prices to get massive sales. MS has shown again and again that they don't mind losing money on the hardware this gen. On the other hand Sony has shown that it is content to sell fewer units during the holidays in exchange for good profits on each console.

You could argue the same about the PS4 Pro's improved processing power. The mass market couldn't give a shit - as long as it plays the latest COD / FIFA they'll buy the cheapest one available.

Nope. Look at the best selling consoles chart for any store selling the pro. Its high up on all of them.
Backwards compatibility has been a feature for the xbox one for a year and its only recently outselling the ps4.

Not surprising considering how low the price for the things is these days.

Though, have overall UK hardware sales always been so... well... low? Or is this just recently the level they've hit?

Backwards compatibility is a pretty big deal.

Didn't do Wii U much good, and the BC on that is much, much better than the extremely limited BC the Xbox One has right now.

Elandyll

Banned
I don't think so. Xbox One has traditionally won November and December. Like every previous year they'll drop the Xbox down to dirt cheap prices to get massive sales. MS has shown again and again that they don't mind losing money on the hardware this gen. On the other hand Sony has shown that it is content to sell fewer units during the holidays in exchange for good profits on each console.
?

Over the past 3 holidays, I think the XB1 has only won 2014 (PS4 won Nov 2013, lost Dec 2013 due to low stocks, but afaik overall it was still a win. Nov/ Dec 2015 were handily won thanks to COD/ Battlefront bundles if memory serves).
Edit: and month long $299 pricing I think

Nope. Look at the best selling consoles chart for any store selling the pro. Its high up on all of them.
Backwards compatibility has been a feature for the xbox one for a year and its only recently outselling the ps4.
Yeah, I look at MS' BC as a nice compliment to the system. I don't think it is a system selling feature. Especially at this point in the gen.

Welfare

They are indeed tracking a 1TB Gears 4 bundle.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXE3053/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Still, I'm thinking Amazon will be wrong again, and that will make it two months in a row, which has never happened this generation.

Yeah, this just shows that this bundle is screwed up in tracking. If you go to the standard bundle, there is no best seller ranking while every other standard bundle has a best sellers rank. Even the Gears bundle + 3 months of Live is #9,999.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K1JV9KE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5FE5MO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Why should who stocks the console matter? Are they not tracked by Amazon no matter who sells them? Besides the Xbox One S 500GB Console Battlefield 1 Bundle is sold by Amazon and is also the bestselling Xbox console on BestBuy.com. It's not on GameStop, but they don't offer it at $299.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L1Y0TCC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

XB1 bundles are already in very low or sold out in stock. Those sales are basically non existent.

Since the end of September, Amazon has not stocked the Halo bundle which is available at other retailers for the entire month. That would factor a big portion of sales.

?

Over the past 3 holidays, I think the XB1 has only won 2014 (PS4 won Nov 2013, lost Dec 2013 due to low stocks, but afaik overall it was still a win. Nov/ Dec 2015 were handily won thanks to COD/ Battlefront bundles if memory serves).
Edit: and month long $299 pricing I think

November: PS4 1,138,000 | XB1 909,132
December: PS4 863,000 | XB1 908,000
Total: PS4 2,001,000 | XB1 1,817,132

November: PS4 831,000 | XB1 1,230,500
December: PS4 1,065,000 | XB1 1,297,000
Total: PS4 1,896,000 | XB1 2,527,500

November: PS4 1,539,000 | XB1 1,296,000
December: PS4 1,582,000 | XB1 1,376,000
Total: PS4 3,121,000 | XB1 2,672,000

Kathian

Banned
But Tesco sold like 5 PS4s at cut rate prices!

Seriously this should shock no one. MS is doing well for the same reason the PS4 had been;
- Marketing
- Price
- Targetting people who actually play games

The PS4 marketing machine seems quiet right now; doesn't help they basically have no first party titles except Uncharted anymore. PS4 VR is another distraction that's just gone nowhere and I suspect the PS4 Pro will be similar.

I would not be shocked if Scorpio is delayed and moved as a truly next gen device. I don't think MS really need it. Xbox S also looks fucking great. The PS4 looks really cheap in comparison (which is bizarre as I like the design); the Slim and Pro both look terrible so that's not helpful.

Guymelef

But Tesco sold like 5 PS4s at cut rate prices!

Seriously this should shock no one. MS is doing well for the same reason the PS4 had been;
- Marketing
- Price
- Targetting people who actually play games

The PS4 marketing machine seems quiet right now; doesn't help they basically have no first party titles except Uncharted anymore. PS4 VR is another distraction that's just gone nowhere and I suspect the PS4 Pro will be similar.

I would not be shocked if Scorpio is delayed and moved as a truly next gen device. I don't think MS really need it. Xbox S also looks fucking great. The PS4 looks really cheap in comparison (which is bizarre as I like the design); the Slim and Pro both look terrible so that's not helpful.

Tell me this is some kind of sarcasm, please.

Though, have overall UK hardware sales always been so... well... low? Or is this just recently the level they've hit?

Low? In comparison to what? The US with 5x6 the population?

These numbers are quite close to many NPD results and if I recall 2015 October was sub 200k for both machines in the US for the month. The UK numbers per head are really high for hardware and software.

Conduit

Banned
GAME wasn't adjusting for 100% of the market. GFK represents ~95%, so the install base is ~5.4m as of January 23rd, 2016. So 3m PS4 and 2.4m XB1. http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/game-ps4-and-xbox-one-install-bases-surpasses-5-1m-in-the-uk/0164453

Just noticed this in your link. Date when article is published is 23rd March.

Sony passed 3 million back in January 2016.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/playstation-boosts-uk-team-as-ps4-sales-soar-past-3m/0163415

This is the quote from that article in your post :

Taking into account the figures revealed today, the Xbox One has sold up to 2.4 million units

So, gap was bigger than 700k. They compared Xbones March numbers vs. PS4 January numbers +3 mil.
Gap till September 2016 was probably just a little over a million or near million because PS4 outsold Xbone throughout 2015 and Holiday 2015 and as i said, till September 2016.

As i said. Last year during May gap was around 600k. PS4 passed 2 million then. As the sales ratio was around PS4 1.5 : 1 XB1

EvB

That 5% doesn't necessarily represent 5% of the sales

The Xbox Slim is MS first master stroke this gen. They created a revision that added something extra (unique to any console this year) all the while making the console much better looking and much smaller. It was a great relaunch to a brand that was really struggling. Not forgetting putting together some good bundles in Fifa and BF to help. So not only will current XBone owners have a need to upgrade but people who were on the fence before and/or PS4 owners looking for a second system.

All the while Sony released a Slim that to the consumer wasn't an upgrade as such so few had a reason to swap it out and maybe no longer feeling as good a value against a competing console. Adding in the Pro that launches soon I think Sony may have slightly dropped the ball with the timing of the Slim and its feature set. At least in the perception it's not as good or lacking.

I think that PS4 Slim needs to be cheaper for it to have impact but I believe it's been set up so for Black Friday. Will be interesting how the Pro performs. And Sony have some bundles/games in their favour this month.

But MS certainly turned it around with the Slim. How long it lasts will depend on the Pro and what hand Sony deals with their Slim. However I think the PS4 lineup early next year is very strong and far superior to MS offerings so we'll see how that changes the tides too.

cakely

Come on, son.

Speculation on PS4P sales is fair game, but PSVR has already been released. It was a critical success and it was most likely a sales success as well.

Welfare

Just noticed this in your link. Date when article is published is 23rd March.

Sony passed 3 million back in January 2016.

This is the quote from that article in your post :

So, gap was bigger than 700k. They compared Xbones March numbers vs. PS4 January numbers +3 mil.
Gap till September 2016 was probably just a little over a million or near million because PS4 outsold Xbone throughout 2015 and Holiday 2015 and as i said, till September 2016.

As i said. Last year during May gap was around 600k. PS4 passed 2 million then. As the sales ratio was around PS4 1.5 : 1 XB1

Ok, first. What? The part you quoted is in reference to the GAME numbers, not March 2016 sales that we don't know about.

No, the gap is not +700k or close to 1 million. Here is another link from early January from GFK that said there was around 5.5m consoles sold. http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps4-...al-gaming-sales-drop-to-2-1bn-in-2015/0161195

This lines up with the 5.4m that MCVUK reported that they saw and the unweighted 5.1m GAME was using as of January 2016.

So In January, sales were ~5.4m with the PS4 hitting 3 million, leaving ~2.4m for the Xbox One. So ~600k gap and a ratio of 1.25:1.

That 5% doesn't necessarily represent 5% of the sales

I understand.

Conduit

Banned
Ok, first. What? The part you quoted is in reference to the GAME numbers, not March 2016 sales that we don't know about.

No, the gap is not +700k or close to 1 million. Here is another link from early January from GFK that said there was around 5.5m consoles sold. http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps4-...al-gaming-sales-drop-to-2-1bn-in-2015/0161195

This lines up with the 5.4m that MCVUK reported that they saw and the unweighted 5.1m GAME was using as of January 2016.

So In January, sales were ~5.4m with the PS4 hitting 3 million, leaving ~2.4m for the Xbox One. So ~600k gap and a ratio of 1.25:1.

Oh, i see. My bad. Thanks.

Didn't do Wii U much good, and the BC on that is much, much better than the extremely limited BC the Xbox One has right now.
Extremely limited? Really?

Elios83

Umm no you might want to recheck your infos because Sony has won both November 2013 and November 2015 so far.
Last year Sony went aggressive as well with a timed priced cut and this year they need to if they want to sell what they plan to sell in their forecast.
Also MS has nothing this year that can be compared to the launch of a new console like the Pro.

geordiemp

Oh, best to come back in 2 weeks when he damn thing actually launches.

I was only allowed to buy 1 Pro at Amazon due to restrictions and 1 per house hold.

Should be an amusing read in 2 weeks.

mshlive

Well deserved, Xbox One S is fantastic and with all the Backwards Compatability support in my opinion it's the best all round console for value for money.

However, PS4 Will definitely win November and December.

Top Bottom