• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Xbox One is the best selling console two months in a row [Numbers inside]

Kayant

MS sure have right with this launch and marketed it well. Will be interesting to see how things are when Pro launches.
But Tesco sold like 5 PS4s at cut rate prices!

Seriously this should shock no one. MS is doing well for the same reason the PS4 had been;
- Marketing
- Price
- Targetting people who actually play games

The PS4 marketing machine seems quiet right now; doesn't help they basically have no first party titles except Uncharted anymore. PS4 VR is another distraction that's just gone nowhere and I suspect the PS4 Pro will be similar.

I would not be shocked if Scorpio is delayed and moved as a truly next gen device. I don't think MS really need it. Xbox S also looks fucking great. The PS4 looks really cheap in comparison (which is bizarre as I like the design); the Slim and Pro both look terrible so that's not helpful.
So TLDR: The Age of Sony is not only done but SIE is dead forever.

Chobel

But Tesco sold like 5 PS4s at cut rate prices!

Seriously this should shock no one. MS is doing well for the same reason the PS4 had been;
- Marketing
- Price
- Targetting people who actually play games

The PS4 marketing machine seems quiet right now; doesn't help they basically have no first party titles except Uncharted anymore. PS4 VR is another distraction that's just gone nowhere and I suspect the PS4 Pro will be similar.

I would not be shocked if Scorpio is delayed and moved as a truly next gen device. I don't think MS really need it. Xbox S also looks fucking great. The PS4 looks really cheap in comparison (which is bizarre as I like the design); the Slim and Pro both look terrible so that's not helpful.

7Nx4lxI.gif

UHD player is only going to be more relevant going forward. Believe it or not I think what's going to usher in the age of UHD is Planet Earth 2. Going to be a hot holiday gift for years to come just like Planet Earth was. Planet Earth was the first blu ray I bought so it's only fitting. 4k TVs are going to hit mass market penetration soon.

Umm no you might want to recheck your infos because Sony has won both November 2013 and November 2015 so far.
Last year Sony went aggressive as well with a timed priced cut and this year they need to if they want to sell what they plan to sell in their forecast.
Also MS has nothing this year that can be compared to the launch of a new console like the Pro.

Ah I stand corrected. I thought the Xbox had outsold the PS4 in those months pretty consistently. In any case my original point stands that MS is very willing to drop the price to the point where they are unlikely to be making any profit on the console or its bundles to get much closer in sales numbers or even beat the PS4 sales numbers in the holiday months, whereas Sony is far less willing to do so. Even last holiday, while the PS4 did have sales and promotions, they were nowhere near what the Xbox One had.

Unlikely, wouldn't be selling consistently well, meaning it's replaced X1 and possibly won over others.

Your logic is sound, but I think this is a bit premature considering it's only been 3 months. If sales are consistently good for a longer amount of time I'd definitely agree. With a short amount of time, it's still possible that you are looking at the normal amount of new customers buying in plus some people replacing old consoles, doesn't mean you are winning over people in excess of the normal amount of new customers.

Kathian

Banned
Come on, son.

Speculation on PS4P sales is fair game, but PSVR has already been released. It was a critical success and it was most likely a sales success as well.

PSVR seems to have gone very quiet very quickly. Can't see that building any momentum and VR sales suggest its not going to do much.

So TLDR: The Age of Sony is not only done but SIE is dead forever.

No.

I'll go further and state that not just PSVR, but VR in general, is a distraction and is doomed for nichedom. I don't see VR taking off because it is even more anti-social than normal video gaming.

Elandyll

Banned
PSVR seems to have gone very quiet very quickly. Can't see that building any momentum and VR sales suggest its not going to do much.

No.

Can't talk for the UK, but if in the US you must not watch the channels targeted for the demo.

In The Strain hour alone, there was like 2 PSVR and 1 Vue commercials.

The Player One Taco Bell commerciakl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKP_yqnMQmw

The Battlefront commercial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HG2taR7pbA

I think it was the escape one for PS Vue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9RbxcA0sH8

Sanctuary

Cheapest UHD Blu-ray player on the market

Which also unfortunaltey still has issues with audio, and makes it a player to avoid for those that want the best audio with the best video.
edit: I guess relatively "soon" they are going to be remedying that, so it should be an nonissue.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Does Xbone have some recent exclusives or something?
Shouldn't matter, because I was told once Xbox exclusives would go to PC then Xbox consoles would die off since no exclusives = no reason to buy. /s

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
UHD player is only going to be more relevant going forward. Believe it or not I think what's going to usher in the age of UHD is Planet Earth 2. Going to be a hot holiday gift for years to come just like Planet Earth was. Planet Earth was the first blu ray I bought so it's only fitting. 4k TVs are going to hit mass market penetration soon.

Yet to see a single compelling piece of evidence that points to UHD Blu-ray halting the decline of physical media in the face of increased competition from digital distribution.

The fundamental issue is that if the average user buys a player for a single title, and then only purchases discs rarely for the rest of the hardware's life, its not exactly a healthy platform. The reality is that most people do not want to build a disc library these days, they just want convenient entertainment.

Many (most?) 4K TV's also have built in support for streaming services, so its not even a case of the option to go digital being restricted to buyers making a conscious choice to opt in. Its there from the get-go as a default part of the display's basic function.

Because of this, UHD TV's market-penetration is not likely to provide the same long-term impetus to adopt Blu-Ray, as HDTV did.

Yet to see a single compelling piece of evidence that points to UHD Blu-ray halting the decline of physical media in the face of increased competition from digital distribution.

The fundamental issue is that if the average user buys a player for a single title, and then only purchases discs rarely for the rest of the hardware's life, its not exactly a healthy platform. The reality is that most people do not want to build a disc library these days, they just want convenient entertainment.

Many (most?) 4K TV's also have built in support for streaming services, so its not even a case of the option to go digital being restricted to buyers making a conscious choice to opt in. Its there from the get-go as a default part of the display's basic function.

Because of this, UHD TV's market-penetration is not likely to provide the same long-term impetus to adopt Blu-Ray, as HDTV did.

I'd argue otherwise, at least at this early stage in UHD Blu-ray's life. UHD streams are heavily compressed and very few support HDR.

Given that at this relatively early stage most people buying 4K TVs are doing so because they want the very best picture quality, it stands to reason that at least some of them will see the value in 4K UHD discs.

I certainly am one of them - I upgraded my Xbox One to an Xbox One S so I could play UHD discs and I'm delighted with the quality. Ghostbusters in 4K with HDR is fantastic.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Had a PS4 since launch, not totally interested in the Pro. I bought a One S cos it was cheap, came with a bunch of games I wanted to play, has a decent backlog I can pick up for pennies, and no longer looks like a car tyre laid on its side. I imagine there's plenty of people like me. I'm not interested in UHD blu-rays either, but it's nice to have that option when I get a new TV sometime down the line.

centmoe

Banned
Shouldn't matter, because I was told once Xbox exclusives would go to PC then Xbox consoles would die off since no exclusives = no reason to buy. /s
Lol, You should hear the kotaku podcast, that is all they ever say in regards to xbox

Top Bottom