• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miitopia Preview Version impressions (incl. subtitled trailers)

kubus

CwQ7rFLUkAALbq3.jpg

So some people might have missed it but aside from the Miitopia Direct announcement (this Saturday at 20:00 Japan time) Nintendo also released a small preview of the game on the Japanese eShop for free. The preview is not a demo, but allows you to cast Mii characters in two different interactive trailers.

I've recorded both trailers and added English subtitles here:

Trailer 1 - Hero
Trailer 2 - Friendship

I used Nintendo characters but you can use any Mii you want. You can import Mii's from the 3DS' Mii Studio, from your Friend List, from a Tomodachi Collection save file or scan from a QR code or make one on the spot. You can then change their appearance and name after importing as well. In the preview version there were four classes available: Warrior, Mage, Priest and Cat as well as a bonus role in the Hero Trailer for the Demon King.

At the end of the trailer the game specifically says that these are just movies and there will be actual gameplay in the full version of the game. This is important because I see lots of people already disregarding the game because they think Miitopia will be some kind of movie maker game. From the contents of the trailers, I think we can already make some safe guesses about what kind of game Miitopia will be.

Obviously Miis are the most important aspect of the game, just like Tomodachi Collection. It's unlikely that they made battle animations and monster designs just for the trailers, so it's safe to assume that Miitopia will be an actual rpg game with some kind of battle system. The different "Action"s like Love Action and Anger Action from the second trailer could imply that the battle performance of your characters depend on the respective bonds and relationships between the Miis. This is probably where the Tomodachi Life aspect of the game comes into play. Now the question remains if the player has any input on what happens with the Miis (as opposed to Tomodachi Life) and if there will be some kind of story mode. Oh and let's not forget: if this game will be localized at all. I think Tomodachi Life sold pretty well at least in Europe, so I can't see why not.

Either way I'm really excited for the Miitopia Direct. Another detail some people might've missed: this will be a full priced retail game releasing on December 8th so it's not gonna be some kind of small eShop title. Makes it all the more stranger that they're literally only announcing it one month before the release date.

I really really want this!!! These trailers were so charming, I got a huge Love-de-Lic/Skip vibe out of them. I loved the heck out of Tomodachi Life and this would be the best follow-up for it!! I really hope it comes to the West at some point, I'd gladly pay full price

kubus

Oh dear. Iwata as the White mage?

(I am going to hell for this post)
Oh I hadn't even thought of this :p.

Man, making these trailers made miss Mr. Iwata so much again. Thankfully he can still live on in his games :)

Btw I forgot to mention in the OP that there is actually a third movie, but it's just a short clip of the cat complaining that his role in the two trailers is too small. Then there's a notice saying an update of the Miitopia Preview will be released soon with new trailers (and a possible bigger role for the cat). I wonder if they'll release it before the game comes out... Maybe after the Direct?

@MUWANdo

Banned
The level of interactivity/RPG-ness will definitely make or break this game--Tomodachi Life was successful and well-liked by a lot of people but I think even Tomodachi fans will hesitate to buy Miitopia if it doesn't allow for more direct interactivity.

The level of interactivity/RPG-ness will definitely make or break this game--Tomodachi Life was successful and well-liked by a lot of people but I think even Tomodachi fans will hesitate to buy Miitopia if it doesn't allow for more direct interactivity.

Huh? I mean, this does look like it will have a lot more interaction than Tomodachi Life, but people loved that game because it was so chill. You had limited interactivity, but that's kinda what made it really charming too and what made it possible to take care of so many residents at the same time.

woopWOOP

Holy lol, that 2nd trailer. Yeah, this is the kind of silliness I can dig, I'm totally getting this... Please, please get a Western release!

Thanks for uploading the trailers and doing the translations, kubus!

Jeb

Holy hell, the friendship trailer pulled some heartstrings.

Inclusion of iwata would do that.

Ninja Dom

Yes, I like the look of this. If this is a fully fledged RPG with all the friendship interaction then I'm there Day 1 if there's a UK release.

It's crazy, that there hasn't been an RPG starring Mii's yet, come to think of it.

Kouriozan

When I learned Miitopia wasn't announced for localization + "Mii", I instantly thought weird game like Tomodachi Collection, really hope it'll be announced for the West soon as there is no vocaloïd stuff this time.

javadoze

Well. My interest in this game jumped from 0 to 100 real fast.

I'm pretty psyched to see what else is up with this game's battle system. That could just about bring me over the edge.

Camjo-Z

Wow. Just like Tomodachi Life I'm immediately sold based on one wacky trailer. Now let's hope it has a bit more interaction than that game...

kubus

When I learned Miitopia wasn't announced for localization + "Mii", I instantly thought weird game like Tomodachi Collection, really hope it'll be announced for the West soon as there is no vocaloïd stuff this time.
This really took me by surprise, but perhaps they only took it out for the trailer to save space or something...? Although I can't imagine it would make a big difference.

They already localized the vocaloid stuff (and even added new European languages later) so I can't see why they wouldn't recycle it. Makes me even more curious about the full reveal!

Top Bottom