• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

philm87

What's even the point of leaving the HDR/UHD color option disabled for any of the ports ? Things seem to work exactly the same when you have it enabled but hooked up to a non HDR device anyway. And all the 4 ports are the same right ? I have the PS4 plugged into port 4 (just because 4) but that one says Arc. Am I not supposed to use port 4 then or what ? Don't know anything about Arc.

Think they're just disabled by default because it can cause some compatibility issues with certain devices.

Something similar happened to me and my Switch is connected to my receiver as well. I think it was when I docked it to charge after playing via portable mode and it suddenly powered on my TV and receiver.

You must have HDMI-CEC turned on in your Switch, Receiver, and/or TV. I always end up turning that off everywhere because it ends up doing things I don't want it to do. That and ARC are always more trouble than help in my experience.

No when I turn my TV on, it turns on the device of the port that's already selected. So its either my AppleTV, PS4, or XBO. Is there a way to turn that off? It's a real hassle. It never use to do this. :(

Go through the Samsung menus and turn off Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC). Turn it off in your devices too.

I have a 55 KS8000 and PRO. Ever since I had it I've had dynamic contrast at high. I turned it off while playing Horizon and have found it to be much better ( I think before I was just like oh this is so bright; it's great), but it looks much more natural without it.

No you don't. Just upping backlight to 20 should do it. Check that you don't have any eco settings enabled and that you aren't outputting the wrong color space because that could cause contrast to be overblown causing perceived dark image.

Nope. BL was already at 20, no eco settings enabled and everything else was fine too. I realized smart LED was disabled, then chose HIGH and bam! Problem solved.

jfoul

Anybody else in here have the KS8500? The input board on the back of my TV (LAN, USB) is a bit wobbly. I'm also noticing Lag, stutter(?) with OTA HD. Wondering if others have the same issue.

What's even the point of leaving the HDR/UHD color option disabled for any of the ports ? Things seem to work exactly the same when you have it enabled but hooked up to a non HDR device anyway. And all the 4 ports are the same right ? I have the PS4 plugged into port 4 (just because 4) but that one says Arc. Am I not supposed to use port 4 then or what ? Don't know anything about Arc.

My brother has a framemeister which freaks out with the HDMI deep color option enabled.

GReeeeN

Any reasons not to upgrade to 1167?, I'm hearing some reports it causes more ARC issues such as audio lag and lower volume output

Garwoofoo

Neo Member
I have a 55 KS8000 and PRO. Ever since I had it I've had dynamic contrast at high. I turned it off while playing Horizon and have found it to be much better ( I think before I was just like oh this is so bright; it's great), but it looks much more natural without it.

I still can't do it. I've spent hours going backwards and forwards between different settings and HDR without dynamic contrast is still just plain wrong. Everything's dim, and dark, like you're looking at the whole thing through tinted glass. Even in a pitch black room (which isn't how I would choose to watch TV anyway) it's so drab-looking.

Playing The Last Guardian, for instance, with dynamic contrast on, you get the effect of moving out from dark rooms into dazzling bright sunlight, it looks tremendous. Without dynamic contrast it's like a gloomy day. I was watching something on Amazon Prime in HDR and without dynamic contrast all the daylight scenes looked like they were filmed at twilight. DC on medium though and everything looked just right.

I don't know how you all do it. Do you all watch SDR content in totally dark environments with the backlight on 1 or something?

(And yes. Eco sensor is definitely off).

De_Marco

Someone here mentioned increasing the gamma to 3. I tried it with Luke Cage and other Netflix shows and it works for me.
I could swear before 1165 increasing gamma looked different.

Months ago I also used DC on high, but DC in general looks way off now in most cases.
Sometimes I still catch myself switching to high when playing/watching somehing new and think it maybe looks better. Then I watch the Grand Tour or the HDR Channel and see the loss of detail and remember why I turned it off.

v0mitg0d

You must have HDMI-CEC turned on in your Switch, Receiver, and/or TV. I always end up turning that off everywhere because it ends up doing things I don't want it to do. That and ARC are always more trouble than help in my experience.

Go through the Samsung menus and turn off Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC). Turn it off in your devices too.

That didn't work. :(

Aske

I still can't do it. I've spent hours going backwards and forwards between different settings and HDR without dynamic contrast is still just plain wrong. Everything's dim, and dark, like you're looking at the whole thing through tinted glass. Even in a pitch black room (which isn't how I would choose to watch TV anyway) it's so drab-looking.

Playing The Last Guardian, for instance, with dynamic contrast on, you get the effect of moving out from dark rooms into dazzling bright sunlight, it looks tremendous. Without dynamic contrast it's like a gloomy day. I was watching something on Amazon Prime in HDR and without dynamic contrast all the daylight scenes looked like they were filmed at twilight. DC on medium though and everything looked just right.

I don't know how you all do it. Do you all watch SDR content in totally dark environments with the backlight on 1 or something?

Nope - I don't watch TV in the dark either. Backlight on 6 for SDR. Could you just be super used to DC, or is it possible there's something wrong with your TV?

Conduit

Banned
So, rtings tested a new batch of 2017 Samsung models. First is : QN55Q7FAMFXZA

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q7f

In short :

Samsung KS8000 LED TV vs Samsung Q7F QLED TV

Overall, our new QLED 2017 TV scores worse than all our KS* from last year, but not by much. Here are the notable differences with the KS8000.

QF has better design/build quality
KS8000 gets significantly brighter, especially in SDR (528 nits for KS8000 in 50% window vs 317 nits for Q7F)
KS8000 has better native contrast (6906:1 vs 5020:1)
Q7F has better response time, especially 0% to 20%
Q7F bigger color volume and gamut (roughtly 5% better)

Even at the same price, most people would be slightly happier with the KS8000.

philm87

Try gamma on 2 or 3

Garwoofoo

Neo Member
OK, thanks. I've tried HDR with Gamma on 3 and Dynamic Contrast off.

It certainly looks different. Better in some respects, I agree. It looks more natural in some cases, and skin tones are often better.

But it doesn't lose that tinted glass/grey filter effect that HDR seems to have on this TV. Daylight scenes still look gloomier than they should, and you lose the bright highlights (as you're effectively using the gamma setting to lighten the whole picture). Watching the opening of Marco Polo on Netflix, with DC you get bright sunlight shining round the edges of buildings, streaming through windows and so on - there's a real difference between light and dark. And the outdoor scenes look like daytime. With this gamma fix instead, you don't get that. Sunlight is light, not bright. The picture loses its essential HDR-iness and everything looks blander as a result.

I think they're both fixes for something that isn't quite working properly. I can see why some people would prefer the gamma setting, but I'm sticking with Dynamic Contrast for the time being.

Syrus

Banned
No you don't. Just upping backlight to 20 should do it. Check that you don't have any eco settings enabled and that you aren't outputting the wrong color space because that could cause contrast to be overblown causing perceived dark image.

HDR content smart led should be high , contrast 95 to 100 and backlight 20.

I highly recommend dynamic contrast too, most do on the avs forums too.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone playing Zelda BOTW on this getting some kind light bleeding effect on the white text in dialogue boxes? I'm not sure if I messed up the settings at some point or if it's just the game.

A bit of an off-topic question, but what do people recommend using to clean the screen? I have seen a couple of things online where the screen coating has been damaged by using certain products.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'd be surprised if they didn't have a TV in their lineup that didn't at least slightly surpass the KS8000. If I'm remembering right, there's a TV further down the new product line that seems to have the same physical design.

Sure but the price on QLED is ridiculous. The KS8000 was the best TV of 2016 as far as price/performance goes. QLED is priced like OLED so at that point, just get an OLED.

So, rtings tested a new batch of 2017 Samsung models. First is : QN55Q7FAMFXZA

In short :

Worth quoting:

We have contacted Samsung, and they say that our unit is out of spec due to the relatively low peak brightness measurements. We will continue to investigate and update the review as we obtain more information.

Update 3/10/2017. We've ordered another unit. We will test it, verify the results and update the review.

Bessy67

Grand Tour is HDR, right? My TV does not switch to HDR settings when watching it on the TV's Amazon Video app. I'm on movie picture setting, and there's no popup saying an HDR video is playing and my backlight does not change. Any way to fix this?

Lima

Grand Tour is HDR, right? My TV does not switch to HDR settings when watching it on the TV's Amazon Video app. I'm on movie picture setting, and there's no popup saying an HDR video is playing and my backlight does not change. Any way to fix this?

Are you sure you picked the 4K version? For some reason it's a different entry.

Looks like you guys need to request a firmware update addressing the spike that exist in HDR SMPTE 2084, its clipping image brightness. I just looked at a few out of the box images of the KS8000 SMPTE 2084 tracking, the spike definitely happens to clip image brightness.

Aske

OK, thanks. I've tried HDR with Gamma on 3 and Dynamic Contrast off.

It certainly looks different. Better in some respects, I agree. It looks more natural in some cases, and skin tones are often better.

But it doesn't lose that tinted glass/grey filter effect that HDR seems to have on this TV. Daylight scenes still look gloomier than they should, and you lose the bright highlights (as you're effectively using the gamma setting to lighten the whole picture). Watching the opening of Marco Polo on Netflix, with DC you get bright sunlight shining round the edges of buildings, streaming through windows and so on - there's a real difference between light and dark. And the outdoor scenes look like daytime. With this gamma fix instead, you don't get that. Sunlight is light, not bright. The picture loses its essential HDR-iness and everything looks blander as a result.

I think they're both fixes for something that isn't quite working properly. I can see why some people would prefer the gamma setting, but I'm sticking with Dynamic Contrast for the time being.

I played around with HDR settings on Horizon, and compared various tweaks like gamma, DC, and brightness with the SDR picture. I don't know what to tell you, other than perhaps you want your HDR to focus on the pop (as seen in all the HDR marketing, so I don't blame you) rather than subtle realism that it's designed to display.

I found that upping the in-game brightness and totally ignoring the calibration circles will make the daylight brighter, but it becomes much brighter than the SDR picture. Adjust the backlight to where you'd normally have it for SDR viewing, and the tone of the SDR image is the same as the HDR. During the first couple of hours in the game, where I'm running around doing sidequests and hunting, the developers are going for that rich, sunlight-filtered-through-clouds-and-trees look. Lengthening shadows. I did decide to raise the in-game brightness from 50 to 60, but the SDR picture looks flat compared to the HDR. It's sunlight painted with broader brush strokes, so to speak. It looks more classically "gamey", but move Aloy around to different areas and play with the shadows on her face and clothes. The afternoon sun look isn't a grey filter (like HDR Netflix shows), and adjusting the gamma looks totally wrong. If you make the direct sunlight brighter, the shade and shadows look way off. Dim the sun to the degree the devs are going for, and suddenly the long afternoon shadows make sense.

Comparing it to clips in the marketing materials is helpful too. You can see how the devs intend the game to look. Here's a YouTube video of someone playing the game in SDR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FMFlLyEhUw

You can see the long shadows and less harshly bright daylight.

nickcv

Hey guys!

I'm in the market for a new TV and everyone and their grandma recommend this one.
After I read this thread tho I'm not sure anymore: it seems like a buggy nightmare with my current setup (switch and ps4 pro)

Should I still go for it or look for other models in the same price range?

How likely is Sony going to iron out the issues soon?

Skeletron

Random question. I wanna throw my movies on an external hard drive but I'm not finding anything about compatibility. Anyone plug an external HDD into your KS8000? Will a 4tb USB powered one work?

Heel

Random question. I wanna throw my movies on an external hard drive but I'm not finding anything about compatibility. Anyone plug an external HDD into your KS8000? Will a 4tb USB powered one work?

Yes, a USB powered harddrive will work plugged into the One Connect. The codec and container support on the TV is really quite nice, I was surprised. Subtitle support, too.

Oegwtocl.png

I would recommend setting up Plex server on your network and using the TV's Plex app, though. You won't even need to transcode much of anything, because the TV can handle just about whatever you throw at it natively. So the server could just be a laptop with your harddrive plugged in, etc.

Just a really nice interface in comparison to the TV's file browser.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So two questions,
Do we have a good definitive set of settings for PS4 Pro? Where are they?

Also, I plugged my switch into the TV and it works but it's a bit blurry and for some reason to get any of the UI to crisp up I have to put sharpness on 25, which I've never had to do in gaming. Anyone have a good setting set for the Switch? Maybe I'm just so used to how crisp 4k is going back to Zelda in 900p looks fuzzy, but my Xbox One seems to look fine at 900p. Odd.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I'm approaching the end of my 90-day "no questions asked" returns policy on my 55". Very tempted to send it back and pay the difference for the 65"...

No one can answer my question?

TVs are complicated these days, and bugs are inevitable - which is why they all have update functionality.

If you had a thread as long as this one for each comparable TV model then you'd see just as many bugs and complaints. But you won't see other threads, because there aren't many (or any) as popular as this, right now.

The number of concerns here are indicative of the popularity, not the comparable quality.

Skeletron

Yes, a USB powered harddrive will work plugged into the One Connect. The codec and container support on the TV is really quite nice, I was surprised. Subtitle support, too.

I would recommend setting up Plex server on your network and using the TV's Plex app, though. You won't even need to transcode much of anything, because the TV can handle just about whatever you throw at it natively. So the server could just be a laptop with your harddrive plugged in, etc.
Oh, thank you very much for the detailed answer! Sweet...definitely going to try Plex. Will save me the trouble of having to get another dedicated external hard drive.

No one can answer my question?
I can't really speak to the issue. I have an OG PS4 and I'm incredibly happy. I plan to upgrade to a Pro eventually but I assume they'll have the problems ironed out at some point.

Just a reminder, if anyone wants to see a patch for HDR/SDR settings not being saved Game Mode or any other issues, I suggest making your voice heard on the official Samsung forum: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/TVs/KS8000-Game-Mode-doesn-t-save-settings-for-HDR-SDR/m-p/71325.

philm87

Hey guys!

I'm in the market for a new TV and everyone and their grandma recommend this one.
After I read this thread tho I'm not sure anymore: it seems like a buggy nightmare with my current setup (switch and ps4 pro)

Should I still go for it or look for other models in the same price range?

How likely is Sony going to iron out the issues soon?

I absolutely love my Samsung KS with the PS4 Pro. Not buggy, just a lot of fiddling to get the best picture, but this is the same with every tv. Not had any actual bugs. I've seen the Panasonic and Sony tv's of a similar price range and they look fairly similar picture wise (though not looked in detail), but if lag is crucial to you the Samsung KS kicks ass. Also get a great picture plus HDR whilst in game mode.

Main thing I could see is some people might not like the edge lit backlight, but this should only really effect you if you crank the backlight up to 20 whilst watching a blu ray (so you see it in the black bars), but you only need it on about 10.

Karamsoul

Anybody else in here have the KS8500? The input board on the back of my TV (LAN, USB) is a bit wobbly. I'm also noticing Lag, stutter(?) with OTA HD. Wondering if others have the same issue.

Can confirm about the input panel in the back being wobbly. New KS8500 and that's the first thing I noticed when plugging in my One Connect.

Pennywise

Yep.
Like it was already mentioned, the TV eats up nearly every format and it's really easy to use and to handle in general.
Got 2 HDDs connected with a 500GB HDD and a 2.5 TB HDD and both work flawless.

Not a problem in my case, I got the European version though (KS7500 here).

Filth

Anyone notice the judder while watching cable tv ? Regardless of my reduce judder at 0 - 10 it doesnt go away. Ita about 10 seconds of nice fluid tv and then 3-4 seconds of bad judder.

laxu

Anyone notice the judder while watching cable tv ? Regardless of my reduce judder at 0 - 10 it doesnt go away. Ita about 10 seconds of nice fluid tv and then 3-4 seconds of bad judder.

Turn off any antijudder and motion smoothing features. That should fix it.

Belker

So, I had some kind of issue with my UK KS7000/US8000. I couldn't identify it, so I decided to have it picked up and get a return.

Well, the return came in and the problem was still there. I realised I cocked up and asked the technician if they somehow kept track of returned TVs, so I could swap back to the one had (if that makes sense). He said that wasn't possible, so I was stuck with a replacement TV with more problems than the old one.

Then I woke up and it was all a dream.

I'm not joking. I literally woke up with a start earlier today, realising that I did not swap my TV for some unknown technical reason. It's still upstairs and I'd had some kind of lightmare (not quite a nightmare).

I hope this post is OK, but seriously folks, as many issues as the TV has with plastic separation, DSE and banding and light bleed, if you have a set that you can live with, a set where you can get into a show or a game and forget about the niggles, keep it.

If you can find HDR settings that work for you, whatever combination of backlight, brightness and contrast the may be, stick with them.

Because I've just run an unwanted simulation of what it's like to get rid of a slightly flawed TV for a worse one, and it's enough to give you lightmares.

Top Bottom