• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Syrus

Banned
I have my receiver connected to HDMI4 for ARC. This suddenly stopped working for me. The TV will not see the receiver as an audio output in the sound settings.

Any ideas? I've gone as far as trying a different HDMI cable, disconnecting everything else from the receiver and factory resetting both the TV and receiver.

Turn CEC off and back on TV expert settings and turn passthrough off and back on your avr

Hold power button on remote til SUHD symbol shows.

Report back here

nikos

Turn CEC off and back on TV expert settings and turn passthrough off and back on your avr

Hold power button on remote til SUHD symbol shows.

Report back here
Thank you for the suggestion, I really appreciate it.

Receiver still doesn't show up as an audio output. I have a feeling this happened after connecting my Nintendo Switch, for some reason. There currently aren't any HDMI sources, other than ARC, connected to the receiver though.

Skeletron

Today I got the step down brother 'Samsung KU7000'. Sams Club has a deal where you get $300 off.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/49-uh...d21031130.ip?xid=plp15190201-elec:product:1:1

It has the same HDR issue in game mode.

How bad is the movie mode lag? I dont want to deal with HDR settings every time I use in a HDR application.
I'm going to keep posting this but if anyone would like to see a patch for HDR/SDR settings not being saved in Game Mode, I highly suggest making your voice heard by replying to one of the threads in the official Samsung forum. If enough people complain I imagine they will fix it.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/TVs/KS8000-Game-Mode-doesn-t-save-settings-for-HDR-SDR/m-p/71325

laxu

I'm going to keep posting this but if anyone would like to see a patch for HDR/SDR settings not being saved in Game Mode, I highly suggest making your voice heard by replying to one of the threads in the official Samsung forum. If enough people complain I imagine they will fix it.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/TVs/KS8000-Game-Mode-doesn-t-save-settings-for-HDR-SDR/m-p/71325

I really hope they do. This is promising in the thread you linked:
SamsungGill SAMSUNG MODERATOR
yesterday

I sent this issue up to our product support and engineers last week. I apologize that there has been no resolution as of yet but I assure you, we are always working on it. I sincerely apologize for the frustration, I get it.

Aske

I still think people have their eco sensor on. If you leave it on (which is default), the screen is way too dark. Sorry, feel like a broken record here but don't see anyone engaging with this part of the conversation and it makes a huge difference in terms of whether or not HDR content looks good without Dynamic Contrast.

I think you're probably right on the money, although I'd imagine leaving the eco settings on would screw up the SDR picture too. Unbelievably stupid to have them turned on by default.

I'd also wondered if perhaps people with this issue were typically leaving their backlights much higher than I do for SDR content; so HDR looks dimmer overall by comparison. My backlight is always at 6 for SDR, and HDR with backlight at 20 looks comparable. Anything above 12 or so is blinding when watching SDR in a room with low ambient light.

I mean the Xbox S is fine for a blu-ray player as long as you don't care about some black crush I guess.

I believe this was an issue with the original Xbone, but it was patched out via a firmware update some time ago. None of the reviews comparing the Sbone to a standalone player mention the issue. Typically it's reviewed as comparable or slightly inferior to similarly priced options, but if you have the slightest interest in games it's considered far better value; and as others have said, it's likely to be supported for longer. I probably wouldn't have bought a product that was just a standalone player, and I'd have missed out on the 4K BD goodness. Very glad MS included 4K BD playback in their box.

philm87

I think you're probably right on the money, although I'd imagine leaving the eco settings on would screw up the SDR picture too. Unbelievably stupid to have them turned on by default.

I'd also wondered if perhaps people with this issue were typically leaving their backlights much higher than I do for SDR content; so HDR looks dimmer overall by comparison. My backlight is always at 6 for SDR, and HDR with backlight at 20 looks comparable. Anything above 12 or so is blinding when watching SDR in a room with low ambient light.

I think the last 7 words hit the nail on the head. The difference is the ambient light, not the eco sensor. I 100% have mine off and realise you have to turn it off for each source. I have my backlight at 10 for SDR, and find HDR too dim at 20, but the backlight at 2 solves this. During the day if I have my backlight at 20 for SDR, I still couldn't describe it as blinding due to the daylight coming in, obviously a different case at night with the lights off.

KOHIPEET

Got my ks8000 yesterday and I have to say, it's damn impressive for the price (a bit less than 1,000 USD for the 55' model)

The back panel is already beginning to separate, but I honestly couldn't care less about it as it's on the back of the TV and it does not alter the image.

Does anyone here have any info about if HDR is being passed through when playing content via DLNA?

Aske

Got my ks8000 yesterday and I have to say, it's damn impressive for the price (a bit less than 1,000 USD for the 55' model)

The back panel is already beginning to separate, but I honestly couldn't care less about it as it's on the back of the TV and it does not alter the image.

Does anyone here have any info about if HDR is being passed through when playing content via DLNA?

Congrats! I love this TV like I birthed it from my own loins.

The TV should give you its "An HDR video is playing" pop-up, but if for whatever reason it doesn't, it'll still automatically switch to your HDR settings if you feed it HDR content (as long as you're not in Game mode - that's the one case in which you have to turn up the backlight manually). So the test is if your backlight changes to 20 from whatever you have it set to for SDR.

Q8D3vil

Finally bought Ks9500 (Good deal, still expensive compared to USA prices). What guide should i follow for ps4 4k setting.

Also, whats the best way to get 4k 60fps using Titan x (Maxwell not pascal). Tried Ps4 hdmi and it didnt seem to work. I can select 4k native at 60 but it doesnt work in games (slowdown in SF5 and stuck to 29 fps in max payne 3).

KOHIPEET

Congrats! I love this TV like I birthed it from my own loins.

The TV should give you its "An HDR video is playing" pop-up, but if for whatever reason it doesn't, it'll still automatically switch to your HDR settings if you feed it HDR content (as long as you're not in Game mode - that's the one case in which you have to turn up the backlight manually). So the test is if your backlight changes to 20 from whatever you have it set to for SDR.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

So Zelda was always washed out until I changed HDMI Black level off of AUTO, to low which made the blacks and colors look great. Interestingly, when changing back to auto from low, it keeps the low setting.

I had a similar issue. I had to play around with: Dynamic Contrast, Color space and black level. Otherwise there was this general foggy look to the full picture.

In the end I went with High DC, Color Space native (big differences on trees being a popping green or a washed out green) and Black level auto on both the switch and KS8000. (Other settings are default, backlight @ 10, sharpness 0, ect)

What did you guys end up with settings for the Switch/Zelda?

clintar

I have noticed that the amazon app doesn't do hdr on the tv, where i thought it use to. Am I remembering that incorrectly? Has it never supported HDR?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The Nintendo Switch/HDMI switching issue is infuriating.

Haines

Banned
The Nintendo Switch/HDMI switching issue is infuriating.

It is. Hopefully we get some sort of solution.

As far switch settings. Same as op but black on Normal on tv and high on switch. Not even sure if auto is broken but just to be safe.

And backlight is 10 in bright daytime and 5 in dark room at night.

And yes some people prefer there games to look bright and over saturated. Thus all the settings you see using DC high and native color etc. Some times you see people using brightness of like 15 on Normal content.

Some like a realistic picture so they go the other route.

ss_lemonade

I haven't seen this problem but I run everything through the receiver first so I'm sure that's why.

Something similar happened to me and my Switch is connected to my receiver as well. I think it was when I docked it to charge after playing via portable mode and it suddenly powered on my TV and receiver.

buenoblue

Just switched game mode off and played horizon zero dawn in standard mode and the hdr is amazing. Pq is so much better. Yeah there's a bit of added lag but if you turn the proccessing off it ain't that bad. Think I'm gonna play like this now unless I'm playing online competitive games

lt519

I had a similar issue. I had to play around with: Dynamic Contrast, Color space and black level. Otherwise there was this general foggy look to the full picture.

In the end I went with High DC, Color Space native (big differences on trees being a popping green or a washed out green) and Black level auto on both the switch and KS8000. (Other settings are default, backlight @ 10, sharpness 0, ect)

What did you guys end up with settings for the Switch/Zelda?

Basically the same but colorspace auto and backlight a little higher since I have a bright room. I swear by turning DC off for everything, but it just made the game look better here.

Cyriades

From here:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000

1080p @ 60Hz Show Help
: 20.9 ms
1080p With Interpolation Show Help
: 118.9 ms
1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode Show Help
: 113.5 ms
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Show Help
: 37.8 ms
4k @ 60Hz Show Help
: 22.7 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Show Help
: 37.4 ms
4k @ 60Hz + HDR Show Help
: 21.1 ms
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 + HDR Show Help
: 37.6 ms
So all these lag results are game mode on? I only see one that says "1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode"

ss_lemonade

So all these lag results are game mode on? I only see one that says "1080p @ 60Hz Outside Game Mode"

AFAIK, 4:4:4 is PC mode. You can't have 4:4:4 and game mode together at the same time so that's probably the next best thing for you (with the added 4:4:4 improvement benefit too)

Poppyseed

It feels about 100ms when I'm playing, and it's 113.5 ms according to rtings outside of Game Mode. Personally I find games nigh unplayable outside of Game Mode.

clintar

Yeah it should do HDR fine. The Grand Tour has HDR, not sure what else.
I'll try that. It's so hard to find what has HDR. I looked up some, but they don't make the tv go into HDR like they used to. I tried man in the high castle and Bosch. They were two that a website said were HDR, but nothing I've found says HDR when browsing or make the tv go into HDR...

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Having a weird issue with my pro on this set. For whatever reason changing the range from limited to full and vise a versa (on the pro) doesn't do anything anymore, it just stays the same.

Previously it used to get brighter or darker but now nothing? Crazy.

Slixshot

Banned
Wait, I've had this thing for months. How do I know if it's playing with HDR on? Is it the "UHD" in the top right when I press the center button on the remote?

Edit: it says "[UHD]3840x2160 / 60p HDMI UHD Color"

Aske

Wait, I've had this thing for months. How do I know if it's playing with HDR on? Is it the "UHD" in the top right when I press the center button on the remote?

No - it'll usually display a pop-up on the left which says "an HDR video is playing". This doesn't happen with all HDR though (I think the YouTube app doesn't trigger the pop-up), but regardless, the TV will switch over to your HDR settings with full backlight.

It won't auto-switch in Game mode, but I've always seen the pop-up with HDR games. You'll get one or the other.

ss_lemonade

Okay cool. Do we still have HDR in PC mode?

Yes. You also get separate settings in HDR and non HDR mode. Other than the very small increase in input lag (in my opinion), I think one other possible negative is color space being stuck in native with PC mode. Not too familiar with this option but I think that could lead to slightly more saturated colors at times?

Edit: it says "[UHD]3840x2160 / 60p HDMI UHD Color"
Input description should show something like [HDR][HD] (or [HDR][UHD] for 4k sources I believe). I don't think there's an easy way to tell with internal apps like youtube, netflix etc though. I think you have to rely on the app itself to tell you if you are viewing HDR content or not (youtube has the HDR label on HDR videos for example)

So one thing I noticed while playing around with PC mode and my ps4 in HDR mode is colors in the PS4 os seem to be slightly different? The blue theme for instance is slightly purple. Anyone know why? Doesn't seem to be color space related

Just connected the Nintendo Switch and boy am I having some strange issues..so first thing, I turn the console off completely yet the second I put it back on the dock it turns itself back on LOL..then when I just leave it alone and I leave the room I go back to my TV and I see that the TV screen is black like its been turned off(I have the KS8000) so seriously this is weird not sure how to change something in settings cause I dont want to have this thing docked and have the TV turn itself off

The Switch seems to be wreaking havoc with this TV in general.

The biggest issue I'm having is that if I leave the Switch docked, my KS8000 will keep switching to that input even if the Switch is asleep, even though it is not giving a signal.

The Switch seems to be wreaking havoc with this TV in general.

The biggest issue I'm having is that if I leave the Switch docked, my KS8000 will keep switching to that input even if the Switch is asleep, even though it is not giving a signal.

YES that is EXACTLY what just happened to me..and Im so confused about another thing..I want to turn the console OFF completely..and I have the joycons attached to the console..so I have to take it off the dock and go to power off..when I place it back on the dock it turns itself BACK ON how do I make that stop I just want to have it on the dock, charging, but turned off

Cyriades

Yes. You also get separate settings in HDR and non HDR mode. Other than the very small increase in input lag (in my opinion), I think one other possible negative is color space being stuck in native with PC mode. Not too familiar with this option but I think that could lead to slightly more saturated colors at times?

Awesome! This will be my settings until Game mode is fixed.

Slixshot

Banned
No - it'll usually display a pop-up on the left which says "an HDR video is playing". This doesn't happen with all HDR though (I think the YouTube app doesn't trigger the pop-up), but regardless, the TV will switch over to your HDR settings with full backlight.

It won't auto-switch in Game mode, but I've always seen the pop-up with HDR games. You'll get one or the other.

Input description should show something like [HDR][HD] (or [HDR][UHD] for 4k sources I believe). I don't think there's an easy way to tell with internal apps like youtube, netflix etc though. I think you have to rely on the app itself to tell you if you are viewing HDR content or not (youtube has the HDR label on HDR videos for example)

So one thing I noticed while playing around with PC mode and my ps4 in HDR mode is colors in the PS4 os seem to be slightly different? The blue theme for instance is slightly purple. Anyone know why? Doesn't seem to be color space related

Do either of you know if Overwatch supports HDR? Because I am playing it now and I am not seeing anything about HDR.

ss_lemonade

Make sure you double check your eco settings. Other modes seem to have their own settings too so if you had eco stuff disabled in game mode, they could be enabled again in PC mode.

Other than that, let me know if the colors look ok to you. I only started looking into PC mode when answering your question and they seem to be slightly off when the PS4 is operating in HDR mode (blue ps4 theme is slightly purple for instance).

Haines

Banned
Jesus christ horizon looks incredible on this tv.

I kind of feel bad for mangling there picture with dc on high tho. You guys are missing so much.

ss_lemonade

Do either of you know if Overwatch supports HDR? Because I am playing it now and I am not seeing anything about HDR.
I could be wrong but I don't think it has HDR support on any platform
So I just realized another issue with this TV and I do not know if it affects you. Apparently, it looks like the TV tries to be smart and attempts to guess what you have connected to an hdmi input and sets the appropriate device type "every single time!". In my case, it always sets my Receiver to the default HDMI # (# is the hdmi port number). Even if I set this to PC mode, powering the TV/receiver off and on will reset it again. I have no idea now which is worse: the TV overriding my hdmi device type settings or game mode not having separate hdr/non hdr settings lol.

I could be wrong but I don't think it has HDR support on any platform

Disabling "Match Power State" on the Switch seems to prevent it from powering on my receiver and TV, though I heard that this still doesn't help others prevent their TVs from auto switching inputs (most of my gear is hooked up to my AVR, so same hdmi input for everyone)

So I just realized another issue with this TV and I do not know if it affects you. Apparently, it looks like the TV tries to be smart and attempts to guess what you have connected to an hdmi input and sets the appropriate device type "every single time!". In my case, it always sets my Receiver to the default HDMI # (# is the hdmi port number). Even if I set this to PC mode, powering the TV/receiver off and on will reset it again. I have no idea now which is worse: the TV overriding my hdmi device type settings or game mode not having separate hdr/non hdr settings lol.

This is how it is with my TV..I have my Time Warner Cable box into HDMI 1, my XBOX ONE S into HDMI 2, my PS4 PRO into HDMI 3, and the Switch into HDMI 4..I couldnt take it anymore with it switching..even though I know its fully charged and everything is in the dock but I think if I took it off the dock it would automatically turn on..such a pain in the butt seriously if I turn the darn thing OFF it should stay OFF so I Guess you can call it sleep mode..so I went ahead and took out the HDMI port, couldnt take seeing the screen going black and saying "You have nothing connected into HDMI 4" well DUH I have nothing connected the darn thing is in sleep mode so its technically off..another weird thing is when I walked by it it would turn to HDMI 4 so I just unplugged it..so your saying if I go into settings on the Switch and disable match power state this wont happen on this TV?
How about the Switch itself..how come when I have it "off" in the dock it turns itself back on (But then the screen goes black after a few minutes, even the light on the dock disappears) is that just something I will have to live with

Top Bottom