• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Lima

HDR content needs dynamic contrast on one of the settings or its too dark. Period.

Ive found medum or high is good even in games. I know it crushes some blacks butnit gets rid of the foggy filter look of most games

Or maybe don't watch HDR content during daytime. It's intended for a dark room.

Aske

Another friendly reminder to KS8000 owners: if you're not watching 4K Blu-rays on this thing, you're not getting the most out of the TV.

As great as HDR games and streamed HDR content look, 4K BDs are what constantly blow me away the most. Watched X-Men Apocalypse last night, and the picture is staggering.

Another friendly reminder to KS8000 owners: if you're not watching 4K Blu-rays on this thing, you're not getting the most out of the TV.

As great as HDR games and streamed HDR content look, 4K BDs are what constantly blow me away the most. Watched X-Men Apocalypse last night, and the picture is staggering.
I'm still bitter Sony cheaped out on its exclusion from the PS4 Pro.

Then double bitter that I have to get up and unhook my PSVR if I want to hop into the non-VR supported bonus modes of RE7.

Aske

I'm still bitter Sony cheaped out on its exclusion from the PS4 Pro.

Then double bitter that I have to get up and unhook my PSVR if I want to hop into the non-VR supported bonus modes of RE7.

I'm totally with you, I shake my fist at God every time I look at my VR breakout box. I've played four games total on my Sbone, and with Scalebound cancelled there's not much I'm waiting to play on it. It's really just a 4K Blu-ray player that as a Pro owner I shouldn't have had to buy. But the games combined with 4K Blu-ray playback make it worth every penny. I know it's a significant and irritating extra cost, but I've never seen a picture more jaw-dropping than a good 4K BD.

Re the gamma/Dynamic Contrast thing: raising the gamma fixes Netflix HDR, and I've found its not necessary for any other HDR content so far. Everything on my Pro and Sbone just look great - all I need do is turn up the backlight manually on Game mode. Still waiting for the mailman to drop off Horizon, but I suspect I won't need to tweak anything outside the game's menu.

Dynamic Contrast will fix Netflix HDR, but it's unnecessary if you're just looking for an accurate image. If the HDR picture looks funky, crank the gamma.

Aske

On the subject, I saw that eBay is promoting a sale on the Xbox One S + Minecraft bundle for $199.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xbox-One-S-500GB-Console-Minecraft-Bundle-/152455902447

I do need a UHD Blu-ray player, but I don't know if it's one worth getting. How is it?

It. Is. So. Worth. It.

Toss $200 at the question. Worst case scenario, you sell the console. But once you watch a 4K Blu-ray on this TV, you'll be hooked; and the Sbone is easily the best value player available.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I was much of the same opinion, but it's starting to grow on me having dynamic contrast off. Gamma on 2 or 3 solved my issue of it being too dim (think they fixed something on the 1165 update). There's certain things I've noticed since having dynamic contrast off which look spectacular.

Well well well
sass2.png

Everyone has the "too dark" opinion when they first view HDR. It just takes getting used to it and then you'll wonder why you thought you needed it in the first place.

On the subject, I saw that eBay is promoting a sale on the Xbox One S + Minecraft bundle for $199.

I do need a UHD Blu-ray player, but I don't know if it's one worth getting. How is it?

If you're not interested in XB1 games, getting it just for Blu-Ray is ridiculous IMO.

It. Is. So. Worth. It.

Toss $200 at the question. Worst case scenario, you sell the console. But once you watch a 4K Blu-ray on this TV, you'll be hooked; and the Sbone is easily the best value player available.

I was literally looking at 4K bluray players the other day. They start at $200, so it would be stupid not just buy an Xbone.

Heel

Does the Samsung remote work with Xbox One S like it does on PS4 Pro?
Does the console turn on when you select the input on the TV?
Auto-start a movie when you put in a disc?

I'd really prefer if I could use it purely as a Blu-ray player, and not resort to using a controller.

Aske

Does the Samsung remote work with Xbox One S like it does on PS4 Pro?
Does the console turn on when you select the input on the TV?
Auto-start a movie when you put in a disc?

I'd really prefer if I could use it purely as a Blu-ray player, and not resort to using a controller.

Yes, yes, and yes. You absolutely can use it that way.

philm87

Well well well
sass2.png

Everyone has the "too dark" opinion when they first view HDR. It just takes getting used to it and then you'll wonder why you thought you needed it in the first place.

Haha. Is ridiculous that there's not more official guidance on this though, it's maybe because they know people will think their hdr looks too dim? It wasn't getting used to it as much as cranking up the gamma, still looks really dim to me now if I turn the gamma down.

On Horizon Zero Dawn I've noticed one of the most simple indicators or examples of HDR is just the title screen, particularly the sun in the Horizon, it really shines now.

Hi guys!

I am having a problem with my KS8000. I bought it in November and within the last two to three weeks there has been a random issue happening. I don't know if it's something in the settings or something wrong with the TV. (PS4)

Pretty much what is happening is randomly the image on the screen will move/layer to the side with like a pink/blueish color. It seems to happen totally randomly and happens maybe two-four times a week. I don't really know how to describe it any better than that, haha. I'm not super tech savvy. And it only lasts for maybe .5 seconds, so getting a picture of it, is near impossible.

Sorry if this is an on-going problem. I haven't had a chance to read through much of the thread since I'm at work.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Hi guys!

I am having a problem with my KS8000. I bought it in November and within the last two to three weeks there has been a random issue happening. I don't know if it's something in the settings or something wrong with the TV. (PS4)

Pretty much what is happening is randomly the image on the screen will move/layer to the side with like a pink/blueish color. It seems to happen totally randomly and happens maybe two-four times a week. I don't really know how to describe it any better than that, haha. I'm not super tech savvy. And it only lasts for maybe .5 seconds, so getting a picture of it, is near impossible.

Sorry if this is an on-going problem. I haven't had a chance to read through much of the thread since I'm at work.
I have the same thing. Very rare and unpredictable. Not really an issue so much as a curiosity.

SeanR1221

Weren't people saying the switch automatically forces this tv to its input while playing with other systems? I have the switch in rest mode and ps 4 on and I haven't had it switch (it's been 10 minutes now)

And like that it switches! Ah! What's the fix, turning it off?

chaosaeon

Has anyone tried playing The Order 1886 on this ? I don't know if it's just my settings but it looks really reallly blurry (and sharpness doesn't help much). It looks like the whole things is running in 480p or something even when most other games look fine. There's even some aliasing that I don't remember. Can anyone try The Order and see how it looks on theirs ?

Skeletron

It's really annoying to change the settings back again to normal when your are not watching HDR content.

After all these updates, i don't expected anymore for this "problem" to be fixed. (it's not actually a problem, it's the software limitation i think)
If you want to make you opinion known about the Game Mode Sdr/HDR settings issue, post something on the Samsung forum. If enough people complain I imagine Samsung may do something about it: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/TVs/KS8000-Game-Mode-doesn-t-save-settings-for-HDR-SDR/m-p/71325

MrGerbils

Weren't people saying the switch automatically forces this tv to its input while playing with other systems? I have the switch in rest mode and ps 4 on and I haven't had it switch (it's been 10 minutes now)

Unfortunately the fix is unplugging HDMI from your Switch when not playing it.

Armorous

I was able to get it to stop switching but only if i put it to sleep while it was docked.

If i sleep it before i dock then it was switching inputs constantly.

Someone at work recommended putting a hdmi coupler in line as it would cause the anynet part to not function but i cant confirm that.

Aske

Not sure what's going on for some of you guys, but Horizon looks fucking stunning with no need for gamma correction (or Dynamic Contrast, or...anything). I didn't even need to adjust the in game brightness setting. Disc in, turn up backlight, game start: perfection.

I'm also not sure how anyone could be missing the HDR effects, or feel underwhelmed or mystified about what HDR should look like. The game beats you over the head with HDR zazz within the first five minutes of play! The R3 effects (don't want to spoil anything) are the HDR equivalent of Capatin America throwing his shield at the camera in threeee deee!

Anyway, the game is gorgeous. Best thing I've seen on the TV outside 4K Blu-rays. Easily the best looking HDR game I've played thusfar.

buenoblue

HDR is not just about making the brights brighter. It's also able to make the darks darker. This is why you find it to dark. SDR gives the whole picture a certain brightness on a whole. If you set up a SDR to give good blacks it will lack brightness when needed and vice versa for bright setup will wash out blacks.

HDR not only has extended range for bright highlights but also extended range for dark parts of the picture. So the reason it's dark on the screen is because this is how it's suppose to look. Night is dark sun is bright with the same settings.

I use backlight 20, contrast 100, sharpness 24, colour 50, colour range auto and smart led high. Absolutely no dynamic contrast. Yeah no every scene will look amazing but overall it will give darks when needed and brights when needed.

M_A_C

So Zelda was always washed out until I changed HDMI Black level off of AUTO, to low which made the blacks and colors look great. Interestingly, when changing back to auto from low, it keeps the low setting.

Belker

Pretty much what is happening is randomly the image on the screen will move/layer to the side with like a pink/blueish color

This sounds like it might be the ghosting that a lot of us experience. There's a thread about it on the US Samsung forum - started by Heel. To me it looks like a red/blue 3D movie without wearing the special specs.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...color-separation-in-Game-Mode/m-p/67103#M8940

Nobody knows why it's happening and Samsung is aware, but seemingly aren't doing anything. It seemed to (pretty much) stop happening for me when I changed HDMI cables, but that might be coincidence.

Edit

I'm enjoying 4K HDR in Mad Dogs on Amazon video. Set in Belize, so lots of colour and detail and mix of bright, shaded and dark scenes. Great series, to boot.

Madness

There is a new demo called Real 4K HDR: Samsung Iceland Demo uploded by The HDR Channel that utilizes YouTube and the app allowing HDR and it looks really great on this set. Almost all other demos you see are 4K but without the HDR kicking in.

Evolved1

There is a new demo called Real 4K HDR: Samsung Iceland Demo uploded by The HDR Channel that utilizes YouTube and the app allowing HDR and it looks really great on this set. Almost all other demos you see are 4K but without the HDR kicking in.
My YouTube app won't even launch anymore. Just a blank grey screen when I select it. Completely unresponsive.

Frankly these apps have been mostly garbage. Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube... constant bugs and crashes. And now YouTube is just dead. Very annoying.

De_Marco

Iceland demo looks great, but I thought every video from the HDR Channel is shown in "true" HDR, I don´t get a pop up, but backlight is automatically turned to 20 when watching those.

@Evolved1: A soft reset after firmware 1165 fixed all app issues for now (unplugging did not). Maybe in your case a factory reset helps...

Only the built-in apps show 4k HDR afaik. Since I have the TV, I have never launched Netflix or amazon via PS4.

Evolved1

Iceland demo looks great, but I thought every video from the HDR Channel is shown in "true" HDR, I don´t get a pop up, but backlight is automatically turned to 20 when watching those.
Some of them aren't HDR. Backlight/Contrast doesn't auto-switch. I was checking each time... some yes, some no.

Madness

Sorry I meant other 4K demos or those even listed as HDR. I have yet to view all of the HDR Channels videos. A few are shown with artificial HDR already applied and so it distorts the color. But this Iceland new demo is perhaps one of the only real reference quality 4K demos I have seen that will actually activate HDR on your television.

HDR is not just about making the brights brighter. It's also able to make the darks darker. This is why you find it to dark. SDR gives the whole picture a certain brightness on a whole. If you set up a SDR to give good blacks it will lack brightness when needed and vice versa for bright setup will wash out blacks.

HDR not only has extended range for bright highlights but also extended range for dark parts of the picture. So the reason it's dark on the screen is because this is how it's suppose to look. Night is dark sun is bright with the same settings.

I use backlight 20, contrast 100, sharpness 24, colour 50, colour range auto and smart led high. Absolutely no dynamic contrast. Yeah no every scene will look amazing but overall it will give darks when needed and brights when needed.

These settings are pretty much what im running as well and don't have any complaints about picture.

This sounds like it might be the ghosting that a lot of us experience. There's a thread about it on the US Samsung forum - started by Heel. To me it looks like a red/blue 3D movie without wearing the special specs.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...color-separation-in-Game-Mode/m-p/67103#M8940

Nobody knows why it's happening and Samsung is aware, but seemingly aren't doing anything. It seemed to (pretty much) stop happening for me when I changed HDMI cables, but that might be coincidence.

Edit

I'm enjoying 4K HDR in Mad Dogs on Amazon video. Set in Belize, so lots of colour and detail and mix of bright, shaded and dark scenes. Great series, to boot.

Yes! Your description is better than mine! Thanks for the info!

I'm not 100% sure if it's an issue only happening with my PS4 Pro, or happening every time I use the television. I don't really use it for much other than gaming and occasionally streaming. I'll have to ask my girlfriend to keep an eye on it. Hopefully it's not something that gets worse. This is the most money I've ever spent on a TV...

Is there a fix for the screen repeatedly going black for 1-2 seconds at a time while connected to my PC? I've tried EVERYTHING at this point, but nothing seems to stick. Sometimes it happens once every 20 minutes, sometimes every 5 minutes, sometimes once an hour. I can't for the life pinpoint it's cause or a solution.

The only thing that seems to temporarily curb it is to go into UHD Color in my TV settings and turn UHD color OFF for my PC input, then back ON again. It's an incredibly tedious process & usually breaks any game I'm in, requiring a reboot. But it does seem to prolong the duration between blackouts.

I've used 4 different brand new high speed HDMI cables, different inputs in the One Connect box, tweaked nearly every single setting on the TV. This happens on 'Native' and 'Auto' color space. I haven't tried custom yet because I don't know how to set that up - that's the ONLY thing I haven't adjusted on the TV.

Also messed with a few settings under the Nvidia control panel.. running out of ideas. Help!

Not sure what's going on for some of you guys, but Horizon looks fucking stunning with no need for gamma correction (or Dynamic Contrast, or...anything). I didn't even need to adjust the in game brightness setting. Disc in, turn up backlight, game start: perfection.

I'm also not sure how anyone could be missing the HDR effects, or feel underwhelmed or mystified about what HDR should look like. The game beats you over the head with HDR zazz within the first five minutes of play! The R3 effects (don't want to spoil anything) are the HDR equivalent of Capatin America throwing his shield at the camera in threeee deee!

Anyway, the game is gorgeous. Best thing I've seen on the TV outside 4K Blu-rays. Easily the best looking HDR game I've played thusfar.

I still think people have their eco sensor on. If you leave it on (which is default), the screen is way too dark. Sorry, feel like a broken record here but don't see anyone engaging with this part of the conversation and it makes a huge difference in terms of whether or not HDR content looks good without Dynamic Contrast.

Is there a fix for the screen repeatedly going black for 1-2 seconds at a time while connected to my PC? I've tried EVERYTHING at this point, but nothing seems to stick. Sometimes it happens once every 20 minutes, sometimes every 5 minutes, sometimes once an hour. I can't for the life pinpoint it's cause or a solution.

The only thing that seems to temporarily curb it is to go into UHD Color in my TV settings and turn UHD color OFF for my PC input, then back ON again. It's an incredibly tedious process & usually breaks any game I'm in, requiring a reboot. But it does seem to prolong the duration between blackouts.

I've used 4 different brand new high speed HDMI cables, different inputs in the One Connect box, tweaked nearly every single setting on the TV. This happens on 'Native' and 'Auto' color space. I haven't tried custom yet because I don't know how to set that up - that's the ONLY thing I haven't adjusted on the TV.

Also messed with a few settings under the Nvidia control panel.. running out of ideas. Help!

Wanted to add that I am on the latest firmware and this happens on PC & Game Mode. It has NEVER happened while using TV / Cable box. Only when using the PC.

Madness

Probably the best option for UHD content available. The philips and Samsung UHD players won't likely get anymore updates going forward as this years models come and there is no way the new Sony blu-ray player touches this price. Remember with the S you're getting a UHD HDR 4k player, but also a games console. You can use the new bluetooth controller as a PC one if you have it as well.

If you're not interested in XB1 games, getting it just for Blu-Ray is ridiculous IMO.

Disagree completely. Especially as we are on a gaming site. Even if you are not interested in any Xbox One game, you are getting the cheapest option for a UHD player, one that will routinely be updated, adding new media capabilities and updates going forward. The display quality between the 2016 standalone UHD player and the Xbox One S is negligible, but going forward, which one do you think will still be supported? To top it off, you get the latest controller which can be used for pc gaming as well. But if not, sell the controller, sell the packed games and then buy the Xbox One media remote and bam.

Not ridiculous at all.

I know several people who bought an Xbox One S primarily as a UHD blu ray player.

I'm sure it's not a huge number, but it makes sense because you get the most for your money.

By some chance, if they ever want to play games, the option is there.

The PS4 Pro should have a UHD drive.

ss_lemonade

Yes! Your description is better than mine! Thanks for the info!

I'm not 100% sure if it's an issue only happening with my PS4 Pro, or happening every time I use the television. I don't really use it for much other than gaming and occasionally streaming. I'll have to ask my girlfriend to keep an eye on it. Hopefully it's not something that gets worse. This is the most money I've ever spent on a TV...

It's not a Pro only issue. You can also get it to happen by toggling HDR on and off. Here's a video of me triggering it in Uncharted 4 with a standard PS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yFB3-naqzA

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

What? It's somehow ridiculous because it's cheaper and more functional than a standalone 4K player???

I bought a PS3 Slim purely as a bluray player because I had no desire to get any PS games. I got it because it was guaranteed to be supported a lot longer than a standalone, and in the end I bought some games for it despite not expecting to want any.

clintar

Sorry I meant other 4K demos or those even listed as HDR. I have yet to view all of the HDR Channels videos. A few are shown with artificial HDR already applied and so it distorts the color. But this Iceland new demo is perhaps one of the only real reference quality 4K demos I have seen that will actually activate HDR on your television.

Use that channel. There are a bunch.

hemtaro

Neo Member
had my ks8000 for about 3 days now and now I'm seeing separation of the back panel....nightmare came true. You can literally stick a pinky through that whole gap. I'm thinking of just sending it back and purchasing an lg b6. I'm pretty disappointed in samsung quality.

nikos

I have my receiver connected to HDMI4 for ARC. This suddenly stopped working for me. The TV will not see the receiver as an audio output in the sound settings.

Any ideas? I've gone as far as trying a different HDMI cable, disconnecting everything else from the receiver and factory resetting both the TV and receiver.

_woLf

This Switch issue is gonna drive me absolutely nuts.

I really hope Nintendo does something to fix it soon, because Samsung sure as hell won't.

Top Bottom