• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Teardown

DBT85

3 seperate teardowns now. The Sony one is nice as you get a bit of info about the various bits and what they've done to the design like moving from 3 to 6 power phases etc, the fan impeller is also 10mm larger than Base PS4. The bluray drive is apparently the same as the base PS4.

Absolutely loads of screws to get it all apart!

Here is a Ps4Pro teardown video that was just uploaded. http://youtu.be/-IYMekLaWws

Deeke[VRZ];224079822 said:

Sony Playstation just put op a video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euBlNq5kda0

Teardown screenshots

m3O0BZu.png

HoVE98Y.png

3DahBkk.png

HV3cozO.png

zOJjILi.png

4tegeUJ.png

FeZrLmu.png

1hS5tEy.png

fZTwWnx.png

Ploid 3.0

That thermal past all over the surrounding bits looked like it would be a pain to clean off. Those are no problem for paste to seep onto?

DBT85

That thermal past all over the surrounding bits looked like it would be a pain to clean off. Those are no problem for paste to seep onto?

No, happens all the time on mass produced stuff like this.

Not difficult to clean out tho.

This one looked like it had far too much paste to me. Someone at the automation plant was told "large grain of rice" or "small pea" and heard "meatball".

EDIT: Hadn't seen that particular vid inner-G. That's me told!

AmyS

I'd like to see a die photograph of that FinFET APU, especially to know the ROP count of the GPU, even though it's probably 32 like the original PS4 GPU, and Polaris 10.

Skux

Yeap, that's a PlayStation teardown alright. Tightly packed, fan on the side, all the CPU at the bottom.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wrong. Not even close. The general consensus is its very quiet and gets around 1200 model noise at worst. It is nothing like launch console.

If the thermal paste shown above is the average amount I'm betting it can be even less noisy, having that much only hinders heat dissipation

DBT85

If the thermal paste shown above is the average amount I'm betting it can be even less noisy, having that much only hinders heat dissipation

Watch the video inner-G posted.

Jay puts a motherlode on a gpu and it made it fractionally better, not worse.

It seems like you can just pop open the top layer without undoing any screws at the bottom to get quick access to the fan for cleaning out dust?

Luigiv

I think they said there is two gpu's. the original one and the new one next to it. They can turn the old one off and use new one. Think that is how it works.

That can't be true. That would be a totally dumb/wasteful way to design the system. I'm 99.9% sure that there is only one GPU (that's comprised of twice the shader cores as the original) and when the Pro switches into legacy mode, it just disables half the cores and downclocks to match the original rather than switching to a different GPU entirely.

big_z

Why dont they use a bigger quieter fan

the small heat sink and tight spacing of the fins likely require more air pressure to be effective. a small fast fan works best.

if sony extended the heat sink back a bit further so that the fins were more spaced out they could have gotten away with a larger and quieter fan. probably would have cost a few cents more to make though.

goonergaz

No, happens all the time on mass produced stuff like this.

Not difficult to clean out tho.

This one looked like it had far too much paste to me. Someone at the automation plant was told "large grain of rice" or "small pea" and heard "meatball".

EDIT: Hadn't seen that particular vid inner-G. That's me told!

in this scenario I would imagine too much rather than too little is better

Is this your personal experience with the Pro or are you going by some internet comments? Haven't seen a single GAFer who said it's noisy, everyone is very impressed by how quiet it is.

That's unfortunately not true - I got one yesterday and it's about as noisy as my launch PS4 unit.

Top Bottom