• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei News - Wii sells out on 1st day, nearly 400,000 sold

ziran

I posted this in the other thread from a secondary source, but now I've found the original link.

Nihon Keizai Shimbun is reporting Wii has sold out in its first day, with nearly 400k sold:
Direct Link (subscription required):
Headline currently on the front page:
Nintendo's Wii Game Console Sells Out On 1st Day

OSAKA (Nikkei)--Nintendo Co. (7974) rolled out its new video game console, the Wii, in Japan on Saturday, prompting thousands of enthusiasts to line up for hours in front of electronics stores across the nation before they opened. Nearly 400,000 machines were sold the first day, with many locations running out of stock by around noon.
nikkeiwiiyp5.jpg

NeXuSDK

TheKingsCrown said:
Doesn't this mean that Nintendo is the new leader of videogame console next generation sales in Japan? :D

I think it does! Wow, that's impressive... well, not really considering the lack of PS3's, but it just shows Nintendo knew how to win the first round :)

That's pretty impressive considering the GC's launch sales in Japan. Even though the GC sold similarly to the Wii in the US (regardless of the Wii shortage), Japan's sales were pretty dismal.

Vormund

Well I had to take a quick look here just to see what it's up to now. Was over 600,000 the other day...obviously the jp launch pushed it up ;)

Haunted

huh? did anybody doubt that it would? I mean, it's nice to get confirmation, but the Wii selling out on its first day was always a given for me.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Would be awesome to see Each company take 1 region each and then fight like maniacs to try and screw each other out of business in the other regions with a flurry of price drops and give aways.

/dream

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Vormund said:
Well I had to take a quick look here just to see what it's up to now. Was over 600,000 the other day...obviously the jp launch pushed it up ;)

Yeah but that site isn't exactly an accurate source for sales numbers

Vormund

Darunia said:
Yeah but that site isn't exactly an accurate source for sales numbers

well duh, it says that they are estimates. Probably the most accurate you'll find for worldwide stats atm.

Bert

Does anyone know what the launch allocation is for Europe and Australia?

Also, won't the US be above 600k as there has been restocks since the 27th November when that press release came out?

Haunted

Vormund said:
well duh, it says that they are estimates. Probably the most accurate you'll find for worldwide stats atm.

why the **** would these be accurate? they are just guessing.

Mato

Cool, it's gonna be about 650k-700k (maybe more) nintendo systems sold this week in Japan, including DSL and the rest ones. Can you imagine, in the future Nintendo might be selling about 400.000 systems combined, each week, all year round, similar to selling 150k-200k DSLs weekly on a constant level.

KINGMOKU

Haunted_One said:
huh? did anybody doubt that it would? I mean, it's nice to get confirmation, but the Wii selling out on its first day was always a given for me.
Yes, I did.

This is Nintendo's largest console launch, ever.(Home console)

SNES-200,000ish
N64-300,000ish
Gamecube-200,000ish

I dont know what the NES launched at, but this really surpased my expectations.

I thought they would sell 200-250,000 Wii's in the first week, not 400,000 in the first day.

Mato said:
Cool, it's gonna be about 650k-700k (maybe more) nintendo systems sold this week in Japan, including DSL and the rest ones. Can you imagine, in the future Nintendo might be selling about 400.000 systems combined, each week, all year round, similar to selling 150k-200k DSLs weekly on a constant level.

Don't jump the gun quite yet.

Any insider can tell us if they bring attach rate or something interesting in the article?

Anyway bodes well for the japanese market, this week software charts are going to be immense, and hardware too. Nintendo should build one or two more factories to print money.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
moku said:
Yes, I did.

SNES-200,000ish
N64-300,000ish
Gamecube-200,000ish

I thought they would sell 200-250,000 Wii's in the first week, not 400,000 in the first day.

I don't follow sales numbers closely enough to be impressed by their 400 000 number until I read that. That is impressive.

KINGMOKU

Vormund said:
what? you don't think people can gather some numbers together and collate them?
Please, don't get into this. That site is absolute crap.

It's changed it's numbers various times, to sync up with real numbers, and NO ONE gets numbers that fast, or before people who pay to see these numbers.

That site is pure garbage.

medrew

moku said:
SNES-200,000ish
N64-300,000ish
Gamecube-200,000ish

I'm pretty sure one of the threads had Gamecube at 139,000 for the first week.

(Didn't N64 sell out first day, too?)

medrew

Vormund said:

complete with real-time updating!

We'll never get another Pikmin game with all the work they are doing.

KINGMOKU

catfish said:
I don't follow sales numbers closely enough to be impressed by their 400 000 number until I read that. That is impressive.
Dont take my numbers has gospel. I am pretty sure thats how the numbers look for each of those consoles, but for 100% accuracy I would wait untill cvx, JR, or other sales guru's comment.

I'm pretty sure they are correct though, wich makes the Wii launch really spectacular. So thats two territories that Nintendo has broken thier own record.

U.S./Japan. Any doubts about how successfull the Wii is going to be are now gone.

Vormund

I don't believe in the numbers right down to like say 1 or something like that, :lol :lol :lol unless they happen to be stalking every single person buying a console. I'm looking at the overall figure you know? like 1.1 million etc.

Not quite sure why they decided with the estimated updating like that.

Mato said:
Well I didn't I just said "can you imagine".

Heh. I guess I am just saying that even imagining that is assuming a fundamental change in the Japanese industry. Some people say that with DS that has already happened, but I am inclined to agree, conservatively, with those who say that the DS and Wii cannot be wholely related. So we'll see as media creates come out week after week now.

Shawn128

O_O

Dayum. Doesn't this make it 1 million+ sold worldwide so far now? I shudder to think what it'll be after the European launch...

F#A#Oo

Banned
moku said:
Dont take my numbers has gospel. I am pretty sure thats how the numbers look for each of those consoles, but for 100% accuracy I would wait untill cvx, JR, or other sales guru's comment.

I'm pretty sure they are correct though, wich makes the Wii launch really spectacular. So thats two territories that Nintendo has broken thier own record.

U.S./Japan. Any doubts about how successfull the Wii is going to be are now gone.

Europe will be a sell-out too as will Australasia...so...all territories will be Wii-afied soon...

Haunted

moku said:
Yes, I did.

After the foundation had been laid with the DS, the possibilities of the Wii becoming clear, the pre-launch hype and all that what was going on before this launch - I was fully expecting it to sell out like this. I know it's easy to say that in hindsight, now that it really happened, but I also believe the Wii will take off phenomenally in Europe, selling out for the first months after its release. (call me an optimist, if you will :) )

vormund said:

Of course, but I don't think those people can do it any better than every other person here on GAF - I say: Wii has sold 1.2 million by now - why would my estimate by closer or further away from the true numbers than theirs?

There's a reason why this forum relies mainly on NPD/media Create charts to gauge sales, not some website with no sources given other than "we're just guessing"

Buggy Loop

catfish said:
will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Would be awesome to see Each company take 1 region each and then fight like maniacs to try and screw each other out of business in the other regions with a flurry of price drops and give aways.

/dream

We would finally be close to what i would call the golden days, aka Genesis vs snes, it was a balanced and very competitive industry.

KINGMOKU

cank stoochie said:
nintendo fanboys will sleep well tonite. knowing they will be getting a cut of these massive profits............ oh wait :lol
What does that have to do with the discussion, at all?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Haunted_One said:
Of course, but I don't think those people can do it any better than every other person here on GAF - I say: Wii has sold 1.2 million by now - why would my estimate by closer or further away from the true numbers than theirs?

You're joking, right?

fse

medrew said:
complete with real-time updating!

We'll never get another Pikmin game with all the work they are doing.

"Remember, these numbers are only estimates, but they are constantly monitored and updated to assure the closest estimates possible for the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and Wii."

dude, they are estimates. probably close to the real numbers perhaps.

omg rite said:
You're joking, right?
He's talking about nextgenwars sales tracker which is actually nothing but pure guesswork. If you've seen the huge fluctuations in their chart from week to week with the numbers going back and forth you'd be laughing, it's bloody ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
cank stoochie said:
nintendo fanboys will sleep well tonite. knowing they will be getting a cut of these massive profits............ oh wait :lol

moron

Mato

What's with the bitching anyway, If my favourite comapny is doing well, I'm happy for them. I don't expect to make profit out of something I didn't work for.

Top Bottom