• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei News - Wii sells out on 1st day, nearly 400,000 sold

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Fuzzy said:
So, 12-15 months before the Wii outsells the GCN in Japan? Who's with me?
I'm pretty sure wii sales will be higher than 4m at the end of 2007, so yeah I'm with you.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Mana Knight said:
Sony sold 1 million PS2 consoles in two days in Japan. Nintendo didn't break that record.

Like I said, it's more like how many systems they did released not how many they did sold. If they had put 2 millions those would be sold indeed. The Wii momentun is at maximun all over the world.

Mato said:
Cool, it's gonna be about 650k-700k (maybe more) nintendo systems sold this week in Japan, including DSL and the rest ones. Can you imagine, in the future Nintendo might be selling about 400.000 systems combined, each week, all year round, similar to selling 150k-200k DSLs weekly on a constant level.
as has been pointed out before about the DS: you only need one console to a house but one DS for everyone in said house. 1 family isn't the same as 5 family members.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
fotd6.jpg

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
bune duggy said:
as has been pointed out before about the DS: you only need one console to a house but one DS for everyone in said house. 1 family isn't the same as 5 family members.
That's another point that I've made a few times.

VicAlpha said:
well, it means we're the ones this time who will shit over the 2nd and 3rd consoles here at GAF & around the net. oh yeah we're back baby!!

Amen to that, Amen brother, i've waited a decade for this :D

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
bune duggy said:
But PS2, PS1 and NES are all home consoles and all sold about 20m units. Then again those weren't as mainstream as Wii is, so Wii has a potential to sell even more than those systems.

Haunted

duk said:
nintendo will do very well but don't count your chickens just yet...

Normally I'd agree, but 400.000 ****ing chickens just hatched in Japan in one day... They're all over the damn place. ;)

Mrbob said:
If?

Nintendo is already number one with the DS alone.

It is going to be a landslide victory.

Sony is ****ed.

Ahhh Mrbob san, these days i read your posts with a smile:)

wii60 going strong since 2006

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
bune duggy said:
That's right. Though PS2 managed to sell 20 million units in Japan alone over the years. Could Wii break this record in a shorter timeframe?

Mato

bune duggy said:

If Wii manages to come upon the same audience that DS does, then that won't matter as much as you think. I reckon Wii could still be going for 100+ weekly sales. I'm not saying it will definetely happen, just maybe.

duk

Banned
Haunted_One said:
Normally I'd agree, but 400.000 ****ing chickens just hatched in Japan in one day... They're all over the damn place. ;)

400k is a drop in the KFC bucket in the overall market ;)

pswii60

This time MS and Sony are ready for a long cycle - both have got cutting-edge hardware that are going to be pumping out amazing graphics and 'experiences' for years to come.

Wii may be doing extremely well now, but what about a couple of years down the line when more people have switched to HD, and when the PS3 and 360 have tons of peripheral-based games?

This is a long cycle, and only time - not launch sales figures - will tell how the end market-share winner will be.

But I don't want Wii to win by a huge margin. I like my HD gaming thank you very much, and don't want developers to jump ship just because of cheaper development costs.

pswii60 said:
But I don't want Wii to win by a huge margin. I like my HD gaming thank you very much, and don't want developers to jump ship just because of cheaper development costs.

You're gonna hate the next five years...

marc^o^

pswii60 said:
Wii is probably going to win by a huge margin, because it is a mass market product that will sell to a new and larger audience, the non gamers. But it won't affect PS3 and x360 sales a lot, as gamers will still have these consoles on top of their wii.

ethelred

CoolTrick said:
This thread reeks too much of jumping the gun on predictions...

Nintendo being first isn't guaranteed at all.

Agreed; it's in no way guaranteed.

I think it's a safe bet that the Wii will (probably significantly) outperform the GameCube, but that's, er, no guarantee of marketshare victory.

Xavien

pswii60 said:
This time MS and Sony are ready for a long cycle - both have got cutting-edge hardware that are going to be pumping out amazing graphics and 'experiences' for years to come.

Wii may be doing extremely well now, but what about a couple of years down the line when more people have switched to HD, and when the PS3 and 360 have tons of peripheral-based games?

This is a long cycle, and only time - not launch sales figures - will tell how the end market-share winner will be.

Except the problem is a lot of gamers (and Non-gamers i guess) have SDTV's... unfortunately you are an extreme minority right now (and will probably still will be for the next 5-6 years atleast), i always said Sony and Microsoft launched HD one generation too soon. Now we are seeing the shockwaves of that mistake, if the Wii was HD as well, the effect we are seeing now would be far smaller.

It would cost more, sell less and become much less mainstream and thus wouldn't be that much of a threat to Sony and Microsofts plans. But, the Wii threatens to stop this 'arms race' that is graphics and i dont know what Sony and Microsoft could do to combat that.

Scary Times for Sony and Microsoft right now (Sony far far more so). Developers will switch eventually if the PS3 and PSP continue to do poorly compared to the competition.

Xzbeat

marc^o^ said:
Wii is probably going to win by a huge margin, because it is a mass market product that will sell to a new and larger audience, the non gamers. But it won't affect PS3 and x360 sales a lot, as gamers will still have these consoles on top of their wii.
You realize that gamers represent less than 15% of the overall game consoles buyers?

farnham

Banned
Yes the wii 2007 lineup looks weak...

only 4 games are potential million sellers (maybe sonic and re chronicles) and the other games are all crap...

but seriously.. nintendo did not show anything of their lineup at all...

sony had to show their 2007 lineup early because they were desperate... if they had focused on their 2006 lineup like nintendo did.. they would have.. resistance... and thats about it.. look at GTHD which was supposed to be a launch title... the big guns like DMC 4 and MGS4 are comming next year. and FF XIII probably 2008.. so they have to show things 1 to 2 years prior to their release..

MS knew that they will make a good bargain with the current lineup and pushed many titles to 2007... too human or mass effect were 2006 titles... but i guess they still have many details and titles yet to be unveiled...

Nintendo.. they are hiding everything and announcing everything ... they just do that.... i dont know why but.. look at E3 2006.. we knew jackshit about Wii 1 month prior to that event.. they just tend to wait till the time has come... i bet they have still some 2007 titles in store and will unveil them later...

btw about the sales... i do think that a solid userbase will help the Wii.. when they can sell 6 millions till march that will make them pretty even to X360 (bout 2 million units range) if they can pullout what DS has done in japan.. they will even outsell it in 2007... seriously.. do you think that thirdparties will go like : Yes the development costs are higher on PS3 and the userbase is small.. but its playstation.. ti got teh brand recognition.. so we will stick to them,....???

i seriously dont..

marc^o^

Xzbeat said:
You realize that gamers represent less than 15% of the overall game consoles buyers?
I do. And that's why I think PS3 won't sell 100 million units this gen but rather 40/50 millions. But this has nothing to do with the Wii: Sony merely overpriced its machine.

things are still brisk here. i was trying to score a Wii for my brother-in-law today and every store i've gone to sold out in 10 minutes. it's almost like Wii launch all over again

ORANGUTAN

Banned
i don't get it, why are ps3 and wii sales being directly compared?

do people compare ford sales to ferrari?

the wii has last gen tech. nintendo has admittedly said it's not a 'next-gen' system. are you guys just looking for revenge because sony singlehandedly usurped nintendo from the top spot? these shouldn't even be compared, they don't even have the same target markets.

hyp

ORANGUTAN said:

the wii has last gen tech. nintendo has admittedly said it's not a 'next-gen' system. are you guys just looking for revenge because sony singlehandedly usurped nintendo from the top spot? these shouldn't even be compared, they don't even have the same target markets.

because everyone wants sony to fail of course.

castle007

Banned
ORANGUTAN said:

chippololfix.gif

ethelred

ORANGUTAN said:

Don't be obtuse. The two systems are competing for a relatively limited share of consumer dollars and a finite amount of third party developer support. They're both gaming consoles. They're in the same market and yes, they're competing.

ORANGUTAN said:

install base determine support for said system.

you're right about target markets, Nintendo is clearly winning over the hardcore, casual, and new gamer segment in one fell swoop

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
CoolTrick said:
This thread reeks too much of jumping the gun on predictions...

Nintendo being first isn't guaranteed at all.
The only reason that could stop making the Wii first overall is the quantity that Nintendo will be able to produce in the longterm. The games shouldn't be a problem at all. Mario+Zelda+SmashBros+Metroid in less than two years = win for the hardcore crowd + the (non/different)-games we don't know yet but will sell the system like peanuts = WIN.

Mato

ORANGUTAN said:

You are out of touch with reality if you think those two products are not going up against each other or have nothing in common. You think Nintendo or Sony don't consider each other's movements? Wii launched two days after PS3, surelly not a coincedence. Everybody is comparing them, the mainstream media does, for their overall fun factor.

ORANGUTAN

Banned
hyp said:
because everyone wants sony to fail of course.
seriously, it's like sony screwed all their girlfriends... or in gaf's case, boyfriends.

what have they done except give us awesome games for the last 10 years?

ORANGUTAN said:

The damage control is really reaching here.

If you're going to make an analogy, make one that is at least somewhat feasible in reality. Ferrari has never held anything more than a sliver of the marketshare in the automobile industry. They make excellent cars, but the overall industry (From most consumers' perspectives) wouldn't change at all if they were to disappear from the face of the Earth today. Sony, however, has held a large portion of the gaming industry; they are (Read: Were) a mainstream company until they let their egos get out of control.

"Target Market" is a term that was invented to make certain companies feel better about failing to capture certain demographics. This isn't a problem for Nintendo; they're going after all demographics.

farnham

Banned
ORANGUTAN said:
seriously, it's like sony screwed all their girlfriends... or in gaf's case, boyfriends.

what have they done except give us awesome games for the last 10 years?

okay.. how about this

copy connectivity
copy xboxlive
copy motion sensors
copy rumble
copy analogstick
copy d pad
copy copy copy

WickedAngel said:

If you're going to make an analogy, make one that is at least somewhat feasible in reality. Ferrari has never held anything more than a sliver of the marketshare in the automobile industry. They make excellent cars, but the overall industry (From most consumers' perspectives) wouldn't change at all if they were to disappear from the face of the Earth today. Sony, however, has held a large portion of the gaming industry; they are (Read: Were) a mainstream company until they let their egos get out of control.

"Target Market" is a term that was invented to make certain companies feel better about failing to capture certain demographics. This isn't a problem for Nintendo; they're going after all demographics.

Jesus effin Christ...i wanna know what kind of hammer you're using because you NAILED IT SUCKA!!!!

farnham said:
okay.. how about this

copy connectivity
copy xboxlive
copy motion sensors
copy rumble
copy analogstick
copy d pad
copy copy copy

ok, lets bring some sense into this. I don't mind copying...as long as it's an IMPROVEMENT.

if we fault people for copying then we'd only have one game per genre.

farnham

Banned
WickedAngel said:

a ferrari in the gameindustry would be a highend PC...

PS3 is.. or is trying to be a mass market product..

Top Bottom